Record Shops In London

Godzilla

I'm off to London to the theatre tomorrow (Weds) and will be there till lunchtime Thursday. Mrs Godz is off to the Apple Store on Regent Street to look for an iPod Shuffle and other gadgets.

Are there any record shops nearby that are worth a look in. Anywhere that sells second hand soul and funk or new release funk stuff (Daptone etc) would be fine.

Cheers now,

Godz

Social source share

• Replies 29
  • Views 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

What you gonna see ?..........creature from the black lagoon :wicked:

Personally think Mrs G. may have it sorted.

Here's my tip for the new year:

Get yourself an I-pod + northern soul + gym membership + adrenlin = endorphins

Best natural high ever.

Anyone care to disagree........

Social source share

I'm off to London to the theatre tomorrow (Weds) and will be there till lunchtime Thursday. Mrs Godz is off to the Apple Store on Regent Street to look for an iPod Shuffle and other gadgets.

Are there any record shops nearby that are worth a look in. Anywhere that sells second hand soul and funk or new release funk stuff (Daptone etc) would be fine.

Cheers now,

Godz

link

Soho is a goodish bet - close to Regent Street - the Berwick Street / Broadwick Street part is pretty good for the number of shops in a small geographic area - Reckless has a good range of rarities in one of their shops - more run of the mill in the other. Mr CD is good for cheap CDs. Sounds of The Universe is especially good for funk / jazz & soul - and new stuff. Maybe not too many real bargains, but quite a good range of stuff. Hanway Street used to be good - but I think there's only one real shop of interest called JBs I think - It's off Oxford Street. Happy hunting

Social source share

Here's my tip for the new year:

Get yourself an I-pod + northern soul + gym membership + adrenlin = endorphins

Best natural high ever.

Anyone care to disagree........

link

No argument here, could be improved with a decent whisky!

Social source share

link

Nope - that's a film not a play. Off to see part one of "His Dark Materials" - Philip Pullman.

Mind you, if any body fancies doing a theatrical version me and Mrs G can give advice on underwater breathing and surviving for millions of years without detection :wicked:

Godz

Social source share

Soho is a goodish bet - close to Regent Street - the Berwick Street / Broadwick Street part is pretty good for the number of shops in a small geographic area - Reckless has a good range of rarities in one of their shops - more run of the mill in the other. Mr CD is good for cheap CDs. Sounds of The Universe is especially good for funk / jazz & soul - and new stuff. Maybe not too many real bargains, but quite a good range of stuff. Hanway Street used to be good - but I think there's only one real shop of interest called JBs I think - It's off Oxford Street. Happy hunting

link

Cheers Sweeney -

- - Sweeney!! - London! Oh my God it's all true!!!!!!

Godz

Social source share

What you gonna see ?..........creature from the black lagoon :(

link

Should just clarify:

We're both off to the theatre but I want to go hunting while Mrs G hunts for Mac stuff.

Also just been told by Mrs G that she objects to being known as Mrs Godzilla.

Not sure what little Minya would feel about that :wicked:

Seriously, cheers everyone for any tips. Will print them off before leaving home tomorrow :wicked:

Godz

Social source share

OK smarty pants - whats the attraction with - ""His Dark Materials" - Philip Pullman?"

Hope your wife is not too put out being Mrs G. (apologies on my part)

Whilst ur out "Saving the Earth, roaming the earth battling notorious mega-monsters, attacking aliens and invading armies. ... "

Can I swop mp3s with her?

Social source share

Cheers now,

Godz

link

Don't know how far away you'll be but Soul Brother, Keswick Road, Putney is a corker... (take lot's of money and your flexible friend!) :wicked:

Sam

Social source share

Guest Richard Bergman

Cheers now,

Godz

link

Intoxica near Portobello market has a decent range more progressive soul they sell there , more 70s / bought some nice late 60s/ early 70s soul jazz from there about 3 months ago -

Nearest tube is Ladbroke Grove

Social source share

Theres a little connecting street you can walk down which cuts off the corner of Oxford Street and Tottenhan Court Road. Might be called Hanway Street?)

There are two second hand record shops on it. One is JBs (I think), small box of reasonable soul and funk, plus good selection of albums. Proprietor is called John, very knowledgeable and friendly.

The other shops name I foget, and you might want to ask for the behind the counter tunes (The guy in there is a bit deaf...due to years of hearing abuse I suspect)

Also recopmmend looking in Virgin and HMV on Oxford Street. Im always pleasently suprised how cheap they sell stuff like 45 re-issues, 12s and stuff (generally a couple of quid less than in Nottingham). Whats going on there??

Spin City on Edware Road - modern soul, strange white-lable funk-rehashes never seen else where.

All of the above assume your in the centre and not driving. If youve got a car shoot round the M25 to Crazy Beat in Uppminster. Bloke behind counter (Gary) has very active sales techniques ( "Oi..mate..what are you interested in."..proceeds to make recommendations gets out piles of records). Great shop h-highly recommended.

Agree with Berwick street as recommendation. At least four worthy of a look within 500 metre radius.

Used to get regular business trips down there...kinda miss it come to think of it.

Lofty

Social source share

Guest Richard Bergman

Theres a little connecting street you can walk down which cuts off the corner of Oxford Street and Tottenhan Court Road. Might be called Hanway Street?)

There are two second hand record shops on it. One is JBs (I think), small box of reasonable soul and funk, plus good selection of albums. Proprietor is called John, very knowledgeable and friendly.

The other shops name I foget, and you might want to ask for the behind the counter tunes (The guy in there is a bit deaf...due to years of hearing abuse I suspect)

Also recopmmend looking in Virgin and HMV on Oxford Street. Im always pleasently suprised how cheap they sell stuff like 45 re-issues, 12s and stuff (generally a couple of quid less than in Nottingham). Whats going on there??

Spin City on Edware Road - modern soul, strange white-lable funk-rehashes never seen else where.

All of the above assume your in the centre and not driving. If youve got a car shoot round the M25 to Crazy Beat in Uppminster. Bloke behind counter (Gary) has very active sales techniques ( "Oi..mate..what are you interested in."..proceeds to make recommendations gets out piles of records). Great shop h-highly recommended.

Agree with Berwick street as recommendation. At least four worthy of a look within 500 metre radius.

Used to get regular business trips down there...kinda miss it come to think of it.

Lofty

link

Isn't it Hanway street that has that great litltle Spanish bar ?

Social source share

Guest in town Mikey

Isn't it Hanway street that has that great litltle Spanish bar ?

link

I think its the street where they have a 60s mod type club in a basement.

A few of us went there to meet Chris W and his mates on the minibus down from Manchester before the 100 club last year.

I got the final phone call from him as they were touring aroung Shepherd Bush Green thumbsup.gif

I think Andy BB and Carrots took Debs White and I to a pub there that had a great jukebox, after watching 'Standing in the shadows of Motown'. That might have been a Spanish bar? Couldnt tell as it was too packed. Is that the right place Andy??

Social source share

Guest Richard Bergman

I think its the street where they have a 60s mod type club in a basement.

A few of us went there to meet Chris W and his mates on the minibus down from Manchester before the 100 club last year.

I got the final phone call from him as they were touring aroung Shepherd Bush Green  thumbsup.gif

I think Andy BB and Carrots took Debs White and I to a pub there that had a great jukebox, after watching 'Standing in the shadows of Motown'. That might have been a Spanish bar? Couldnt tell as it was too packed. Is that the right place Andy??

link

I thinkI was in the bar that same night , weren't they playing quite a bit of Bluegrass in the bar ? - Or Am I barking up the wrong tree ?

Social source share

Its Bradleys Spanish bar in Hanway Street. An essential bar to visit when in oxford street. The jukebox is first class and is supplied by the record shop next door. Its where I first heard Hip teens by Frank Popp. It obviously has a spanish theme and an excellent Bull fighting poster for my favourite Bull fighter "Tirado Ponce" on the wall. What a name.

Social source share

Guest Richard Bergman

Its Bradleys Spanish bar in Hanway Street.  An essential bar to visit when in oxford street.  The jukebox is first class and is supplied by the record shop next door.  Its where I first heard Hip teens by Frank Popp.  It obviously has a spanish theme and an excellent Bull fighting poster for my favourite Bull fighter "Tirado Ponce" on the wall.  What a name.

link

"TIRADO PONCE " is going on my headstone -

Social source share

Guest in town Mikey

I thinkI was in the bar that same night , weren't they playing quite a bit of Bluegrass in the bar ? - Or Am I barking up the wrong tree ?

link

We couldnt get in. Ended up in a bar on Tottering Court Road.

Do we know each other Joe??

thumbsup.gif

Social source share

Guest Richard Bergman

We couldnt get in. Ended up in a bar on Tottering Court Road.

Do we know each other Joe??

thumbsup.gif

link

Possibly ?

I'am a smallish guy with a litlte beard from Manchester

I used to lodge with Little Stevie for a couple of years , Iam usually at niters with Matt Boulton and I always tap Brett on his bald bonce when given half the chance

Social source share

Guest in town Mikey

Possibly ?

I'am a smallish guy with a litlte beard  from Manchester

I used to lodge with Little Stevie for a couple of years , Iam usually at niters with Matt Boulton and I always tap Brett on his bald bonce when given half the chance

link

Well if we met i'm sure I would have bored you about the three years i had in Gorton. thumbsup.gif

Social source share

Guest Richard Bergman

Well if we met i'm sure I would have bored you about the three years i had in Gorton. thumbsup.gif

link

Did you enjoy it there ? -bit lively I can imagine :huh:

Social source share

Guest in town Mikey

Did you enjoy it there ? -bit lively I can imagine  thumbsup.gif

link

I had 2 years and 6 months of blissfully thinking what a nice part we had chosen to live in. We were up by the Ashton Old Road end of Gorton. Then we were burgled 3 tmes in 6 weeks, the landlord of our local sold all the booze and disappeared with the takings, and we saw a Man United fan in the street.

After that we felt it was time to move.

I wish i had kept the house rather than sell it tho. 3 bed, end terrace £28,000 in 1989

Social source share

Guest Richard Bergman

I had 2 years and 6 months of blissfully thinking what a nice part we had chosen to live in. We were up by the Ashton Old Road end of Gorton. Then we were burgled 3 tmes in 6 weeks, the landlord of our local sold all the booze and disappeared with the takings, and we saw a Man United fan in the street.

After that we felt it was time to move.

I wish i had kept the house rather than sell it tho. 3 bed, end terrace £28,000 in 1989

link

Happy days indeed then , 3 times in 6 wks is a bit much - Never had any problems in the years I've lived here - Oh Aprt from being mugged for the grand total of £4.25p " wont even by you a stardust reissue that nowadays" I shouted down the street as they sped off -

Where you living now mate, may help me place you -

Where are you usually at ?

Social source share

Guest in town Mikey

Happy days indeed then ,  3 times in 6 wks is a bit much - Never had any problems in the years I've lived here  - Oh Aprt from being mugged for the grand total of £4.25p  " wont even by you a stardust reissue that nowadays" I shouted down the street as they sped off  -

Where you living now mate, may help me place you  -

Where are you usually at ?

link

I left London in October. I used to share with Inga in East Finchley.

I used to go to just about all the soul nights, until the last 18 months or so.

I went to most Soul in The City's, Valatone, and The Dome, but cut back on the number of places I did visit towards the end of my time there.

I used to sit on the stage with my brother, 50s Dave, Andy BB,Carrots, Rob Messem, Kerry, Kavel, Michelle etc. In the middle bit.

My Brother is at most 100 clubs still. I was dying to get up this friday for Chris W's do, but it looks like I am going to have to suffer watching Bristol City again tomorrow.

Social source share

Guest Richard Bergman

I left London in October. I used to share with Inga in East Finchley.

I used to go to just about all the soul nights, until the last 18 months or so.

I went to most Soul in The City's, Valatone, and The Dome, but cut back on the number of places I did visit towards the end of my time there.

I used to sit on the stage with my brother, 50s Dave, Andy BB,Carrots, Rob Messem, Kerry, Kavel, Michelle etc. In the middle bit.

My Brother is at most 100 clubs still. I was dying to get up this friday for Chris W's do, but it looks like I am going to have to suffer watching Bristol City again tomorrow.

link

Yeah I thinkI know you mate , Usually sit near stage at the 100 club , Usually trying to get Ady Lupton to clown around - I'm sure I will know you by sight - Im just rubbish with names some time

Social source share

Guest Duncan3k

Yeah I thinkI know you mate , Usually sit near stage at the 100 club , Usually trying to get Ady Lupton to clown around  - I'm sure I will know you by sight - Im just rubbish with names some time

link

You dont need to get Lupton to clown around, he does it quite easily by himself???

Any road up, I thought Joe Orton was dead, will the real one please stand up, and that bit along from where Mikey used to sit, (there is now a small brass memorial plaque there now!!) is called Mod Corner or the Home of the Al and Duncan East London Soul Patrol.

Duncan B

thumbsup.gif

Social source share

Guest in town Mikey

You dont need to get Lupton to clown around, he does it quite easily by himself???

Any road up, I thought Joe Orton was dead, will the real one please stand up, and that bit along from where Mikey used to sit, (there is now a small brass memorial plaque there now!!) is called Mod Corner or the Home of the Al and Duncan East London Soul Patrol.

Duncan B

:D

link

As with most plaques, it is surrounded by drunks and vagrants, willing to declare their undieing love for you, for a half of lager :shades:

Social source share

Guest Richard Bergman

As with most plaques, it is surrounded by drunks and vagrants, willing to declare their undieing love for you, for a half of lager  :shades:

link

Never a truer word spoken in jest :D

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!