Offical Play List Wilton 21st Jan. 2005

Boxy

THE WILTON, 21 JANUARY 2005

So, the Wilton all-nighter’s January edition kicked off another year in good style. Good attendance, nice atmosphere, and a lot of good feedback on the night, judging by the regulars I spoke to.

Guest DJs were all in championship form, Dave Welding being the first on. He played an excellent hour and seemed to enjoy his first performance up in West Yorkshire.

Andy Dyson was on fire – absolutely brilliant hour by the South Yorkshire man. The newer discoveries he played really were top drawer. Great to hear not one thing that you’d heard for the very first time and liked, but several in a row, mixed in with some nice crossover stuff, and a well thought out assortment of quality under-played oldies.

I only caught the first quarter of Dean’s spot, but he’s always had some good stuff to play.

I’ll just jot down a few tunes of what was played on the night and let people judge for themselves.

Mouse:

Gene Redding – I Need Your Lovin’ – Bell; Ernie Johnson – I’m A Big Man – Cry;

Clydie King – My Love Grows Deeper – Imperial; Larry Williams – I’m The One – Okeh; Ray Pollard – Wanderlust – Decca; Fantastics – Me And You – SS7; Johnny Clyde Copeland – Coming To See About You – Suave.

John B:

Delroyals – Some Kind of Wonderful – Mercury; Masqueraders – How Big Is Big – Bell; Masqueraders -I Ain’t Gonna Stop – AGP; Philip Mitchell – Gonna Build California All Over The World – Shout; Tyrone Ashley – I Want My Baby Back - Phil LA of Soul; Purple Mundi – Stop Hurting Me Baby – Cat; Newcomers – Picture Show – Truth; Bobby Womack – Tried and Convicted – Minit; Danny White – Keep My Woman Home – Atlas; Billy Woods – I Don’t Want To Lose Your Love – Verve; Joe Valentine – I Lost The Only Love I Had – Val.

Dave Welding:

Pat Lewis – No-one To Love – Solid Hit; Billy Kennedy – Sweet Thing – Thelma; Jessie Johnson – Left Out – Old Town; Constellations – I Don’t Know About You – Gemini Star; Unique Blend – Yes I’m In Love – Eastbound; Eric Lomax; Tab Walton – Love Me The Way I Love You – Oriole; Pat & The Blenders – Just Because – Fast Eddie; Betty Wilson – I’m Yours – Dayco; Guitar Ray – You’re Gonna Wreck My Life – Shagg; 4 Tracks – Like My Love For You – Mandingo; Melvin Davis – Find A Quiet Place – Wheel City; George Freeman – Down and Out – Valiant; Herman Lewis – Who’s Kissing You Tonight – Stone Blue.

Dave Box:

El Anthony – We’ve Been In Love Too Long – La Cindy; Johnny Howard – The Chase Is On – Bashie; Elbie Parker – Please Keep Away From Me – Verve; Falcons – Good Good Feeling – Big Wheel; Kenny Hamber – Anything You Want – Arctic; Fascinators – In Other Words – Boom Boy; Hytones – Bigger & Better – A-Bet; Shirley Karol – Just To Make You Happy – Dakar; Blenders – Your Love Has Got Me Down – Mar-V-Lus; Johnny Robinson – Gone But Not Forgotten – Oken; Experts – My Love Is Real – Joby; Moses Dillard – I’ll Pay The Price – Mark V; Sheppards – Stubborn Heart – Mirwood; 11th Comandments – Then I Reach Satisfaction – Fast Track; ConsteLlation – I Don’t Know How To – Gemini Star; Lou Rawls – Let Me Be Good To You; New Group – Love Can’t Be Modernised – Gemini; Cooke Scott – I Don’t Care – Orr; Shelly Fisher – Girl I Love You – Dayla; Linda Perry – It’s All At The Back Of Me Now – Mainstream; Nikki Farrar (unissued) – Take My Chances – Acetate.

Andy Dyson:

Tempos; Calvin Grayson – Love’s Just Begun – In; Earls – Everybody But Me;

Volumes – Ain’t Gonna Give You Up – Karen; Eddie Billups – Shake Off That Dream; Adlibs – I Don’t Need No Fortune Teller – Passion; Saints – I’ll Let You Slide – Wigwam; Loves Stormy Weather; Donna King – Take Me Home – Hot Line; Carol Anderson – Taking My Mind Off Love – Whip; Lee Andrews – Nevertheless – Crimson; Spencer Wiggins – Let’s Talk It Over; plus a raft of newer discoveries, and a thing by O C Tolbert which got people rushing to the decks.

Dean Anderson:

Bob Fowler – Now You Got The Upper Hand – Studio acetate unissued; Barbara Mercer – My Dear Heat – Solid Hit Bound unissued; Venturers – Heart Of Love – Green Light; Robert Spencer – Our Wedding Day – Custom Pack studio acetate; Winston ‘Flook’ Richards – Let’s Get Together – Trex; Preston Peters – You Can’t By-pass Our Love – MM Enterprises; Delegates of Soul – I’ll Come Running Back – Up Look; Thom East & The Playboys – Need Somebody To Love – Toddling Town; Deon Jackson – Someday The Sun Will Shine – Studio acetate unissued; Clyde McPhatter – Please Give Me One More Chance.

Saus:

Moments - You Said – Deep; Shades of Blue - Away To Love You - Impact LP; Bobby Womack – Something For My Head - Columbia LP; Martha Reeves – Can’t Break The Habit - Gordy ; Brenda Holloway – Just Look What You’ve Done – Tamla; Marvelettes – Love Can Save Me – Motown; Pete Warner – I Just Want To Spend My Life With You – Polydor; Arthur Prysock – All I Need Is You Tonight – Old Town; Moments – Just Having Your Love – Stand; Kim Katrell – Did You See Him Last Night – Tyson; Yvonne Carroll – Please Don’t Go – Veejay; Barbara Redd – I’ll Be All Alone – SPQR; Sterephonics – Don’t Leave Me – Mas-Tok; Big Joe Turner – My Little Woman – C/U; Sammy Lee – Let’s Talk It Over – Watts Way; Doris Smith – No Good Guy – Limelight; Johnnie Mae Matthews – Mama’s Gonna Stop You – C/U; Rocky Roberts & Airedales – Have My Baby – C/U; Demetrice Faire – Young Girl – Turonta.

In due course we’ll be taking a more in-depth look at the Wilton and how it came to be, but in the meantime, for people out there who have never been before, if you like some of the tunes on the playlists come down and pay us a visit. You’ll see what a cracking nighter it really is.

The Wilton would like to thank all the people who have attended for the last decade, for making it what it is.

Cheers.

John Britton

Social source share

• Replies 16
  • Views 3.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Guest Trevski

Looking forward to the aniversary in March! :wicked:

The Wilton was under the microscope somewhat after the last nighter, and the stepping down of Pelle as promoter, but I look at it this way: You guys are carring on with the Wilton, which is the main thing! Sure there will be some (minor) changes, and most people don't like change, but its a damn sight better than the other option-No Wilton at All! :(

Mouse, John & Dave, keep up the good work, and to all the punters out there, get to the Wilton,

and support thes guys. They don't do it for the money, they do it for the music, and YOU. I personaly think the Wilton is one of THE best 'nighters, great venue, friendly atmosphere, excellent music, what more could you want! :wicked:

Edited by Trevski
Social source share

fabreze?

i have a real fondness for the wilton because it was my first proper serious nighter. however a hoover round the place wouldnt go a miss! :wicked:

also needs the sound system looking at too. its been iffy for far too long now.

i also believe that the dj's who are booked to play should mainly consist of people who support the venue. maybe this will start another thread but i do believe that this should be a policy for venues in my opinion. If I am right, the last ritz on boxing day didnt have one manchester dj on the list?

good luck in the future, i will contiue to support as always.

shane

Social source share

Also think that the last Wilton was musically the worst I've been to for a long time....

Too much lacklustre modern being spun I.M.O.

To be fair I'll give it a few more events for the new promotion team to make their mark, before I decide whether to vote with my feet or not.

WOOF!

link

i have to agree that the music at the last wilton was very average and in my opinion awful at times. i am not a fan of the sort of modern being played at all. i dont know what others thought? what is the line-up for the next one?

shane

Social source share

Guest Trevski

Come on you guys, lets hear something positive!

Hoovers? lets face it, the Wilton, more like the Hilton, compared to Sherries! :wicked::wicked:

Musicaly the Wilton varies from 'nighter to 'nighter, line up to line up. If there had been no changes, and it was business as usual, would we even be talking about it?

P.S. Perhaps I am slightly prejudiced in my views, because the guys at the Wilton have had faith in me, and put me on more times than I probably deserve. I'm not a big name DJ, i'm not even a small name Dj! I'm just a guy who has the nack of stringing a few tunes together that people seem to like. The Wilton boys appreciate this, and for that I am eternally greatful, especialy being asked to do the aniversary. However If the critical approach continues, it will be the last one I do, because I am not really looking forward to doing it, under the current atmosphere.

Edited by Trevski
Social source share

Come on you guys, lets hear something positive!

Hoovers? lets face it, the Wilton, more like the Hilton, compared to Sherries!  :wicked:   :(

Musicaly the Wilton varies from 'nighter to 'nighter, line up to line up. If there had been no changes, and it was business as usual, would we even be talking about it?

P.S. Perhaps I am slightly prejudiced in my views, because the guys at the Wilton have had faith in me, and put me on more times than I probably deserve. I'm not a big name DJ, i'm not even a small name Dj! I'm just a guy who has the nack of stringing a few tunes together that people seem to like. The Wilton boys appreciate this, and for that I am eternally greatful, especialy being asked to do the aniversary. However If the critical approach continues, it will be the last one I do, because I am not really looking forward to doing it, under the current atmosphere.

link

come on Trev. I only said i didnt like the modern stuff being played. i have promoted the wilton on this site more than anyone including the promoters. i think you are over reacting a bit here mate. for someone as outspoken as you about the scene I think you should also expect others to be too. the wilton will always remain one of my favourite nighters as i said in my previous post but i do not see any problem in commenting on such things as the sound system and certain sounds being played.

i am also glad you are playing at the next wilton as i always enjoy your sets. i also think that it is a good idea to give people like you a chance because you have always supported the wilton.

if you think the criticism is unfair what about all the stick that kev roberts gets on here! :wicked:

cheer up mate and I have you not found any more photos of me in drag yet?

Shane

Social source share

Guest Johnny One Trout

Also think that the last Wilton was musically the worst I've been to for a long time....

Too much lacklustre modern being spun I.M.O.

To be fair I'll give it a few more events for the new promotion team to make their mark, before I decide whether to vote with my feet or not.

WOOF!

link

:(:P:P All that lacklustre "Modern" is what was making me wonder why i hadn't been before :wicked::( The sort of playlist that Andy and Dave Weldon Mcdougal can come up with are more than a draw for me and even with the "modern" (come on lets face it, it ain't modden it's 30 years old!!) there are plenty of great tunes of most styles in there. Fair play i say and if they continue with a varied music policy then we will most definitely be paying it a visit in the near future.

Trouty

BTW Love the freudian slip on the Mouses list Ernie Johnson doing a version of Big Daddy Rogers? or should it have been Big Man Cry :wicked:

Social source share

Guest Trevski

the wilton will always remain one of my favourite nighters as i said in my previous post but i do not see any problem in commenting on such things as the sound system and certain sounds being played.

i am also glad you are playing at the next wilton as i always enjoy your sets. i also think that it is a good idea to give people like you a chance because you have always supported the wilton.

if you think the criticism is unfair what about all the stick that kev roberts gets on here!  :huh:

Shane

link

Sorry If I seem a little critical of the critics!!!

Thanks for thecomments about my set too. I don't think the criticism is unfair, its just that things like this tend to spiral somewhat, everyone and his dog (no,not you Pikey!) jumps in and the club goes down as a result. Too many negative views tend to put people off, attendances drop and the venue closes. I think this was probably the case with the "Yorkshirte Rider" at Halifax. No fault of the promoters, it just got 'talked down' I would hate to see this happen to the Wilton. It is a venue I have loved over the last 12 years, and I would like to see this as a chance for it to grow.

I was only commenting at the last one, how over the last 2/3 Wiltons, a lot of people had turned up who had never been before. This is what we all want for the club, growing numbers, rather than dwindling ones. I'm sure little niggles like the sound system etc can be ironed out. But I would rather go direct to Mouse with it, than post it up.

As for the stick Kev gets, Its easy to shrug it off when you are 'on top of your game' and raking it in! However, Mouse has been out of pocket for nearly all of the Wiltons over the last 12 years!

Hence the (small) price rise. He can't afford to take a loss anymore, and who can blame him. The guy puts his heart and SOUL into the place, with a lot going on behind the scenes.

Sorry once again for sounding off Shane, It's just a venue I feel strongly about, as I'm sure you do too. :yes:blush.gif

Social source share

totally agree with you Trev. maybe it would be better not to talk the place down on here. i just try to be honest but i know this can have a negative effect. however i have done my fair share of talking the place in up in recent years as well. i am for the opinion that if something can be praised it should expect criticism too. i will keep my gob shut in future about 'poor modern' and the like. each to their own i suppose. long live the wilton! it is still a big fave of mine!

see you at lifeline mate. blush.gif

Shane

Social source share

I've been to the Wilton only twice due to the fact that I have to rely on lifts, I loved my two visits and the music was first class on both occasions. I travel by rail only and if anyone can help out with lifts to and from Stations I would love to attend all of them!!

If anyone can tell me the nearest rail station and sort me out with a lift contact me at: dmiller6ts@msn.com

T.I.A.

David

Social source share

I've been going to the Wilton, since the very 1st soul night at the back end of the 8ts and sometimes yes, the music may not be as good as previous nights. However, most of the time it's been brilliant, well to me it has but there again I'm biased; Mouse and Pelle have been two of my closest friends (plus Derek P & Bob H)

No, friendship has nothing to do with it, it's been down to the music policy, the policy of giving collectors like myself the chance to DJ and play tunes other DJ's would never play. Some of these tunes are cheap, some expensive, some not so good and some have been truly superb.

This is what the Wilton has been built on, the same music policy which came from its predecessor, "the Carlton club" and will I'm told be same policy for the future and if that means some DJ playing modern, then so be it.

The new guys who will be co-promoting alongside Mouse, John Britton & Dave Box will need all our support and do not mind in the slightest for constructive critisism. So if you think things are not to your liking let 'em know but in a positive way.

Before I get off me soap box the Wilton all-nighters will have been going 11 years, yes 11 *@*@ing years, enough said!

Dave Guiry thumbsup.gif

Edited by Gringo
Social source share

Dave, I have no problem with modern. I just didnt like a lot of the modern played. Soul source is a discussion group and I see no harm in giving opinions about certain sounds played at a venue. It is only my opinion and it is nothing personal against the venue. I have had some great nights at the wilton and i am sure there will be plenty more.

Also I do fully recommend the wilton to anyone who has not been before as you will hear a good range of sounds and not the same old.

I apologise if I have upset anyone and I hope my comments do not put anyone off. I just didnt like a section of the sounds being played but i really enjoyed a lot of the other stuff. I am sure you all understand.

Shane

Social source share

Dave, I have no problem with modern. I just didnt like a lot of the modern played. Soul source is a discussion group and I see no harm in giving opinions about certain sounds played at a venue. It is only my opinion and it is nothing personal against the venue. I have had some great nights at the wilton and i am sure there will be plenty more.

Also I do fully recommend the wilton to anyone who has not been before as you will hear a good range of sounds and not the same old.

I apologise if I have upset anyone and I hope my comments do not put anyone off. I just didnt like a section of the sounds being played but i really enjoyed a lot of the other stuff. I am sure you all understand.

Shane

Shane, I don't have a problem with anyone expressing their opinions thumbsup.gif I'm just defending the Wilton in the best possible way. As for appologising you've no need to, I didn't take offence :huh:

Edited by gringo
Social source share

I've been going to the Wilton, since the very 1st soul night at the back end of the 8ts and sometimes yes, the music may not be as good as previous nights. However, most of the time it's been brilliant, well to me it has but there again I'm biased; Mouse and Pelle have been two of my closest friends (plus Derek P & Bob H)

No, friendship has nothing to do with it, it's been down to the music policy, the policy of giving collectors like myself the chance to DJ and play tunes other DJ's would never play. Some of these tunes are cheap, some expensive, some not so good and some have been truly superb.

This is what the Wilton has been built on, the same music policy which came from its predecessor, "the Carlton club" and will I'm told be same policy for the future and if that means some DJ playing modern, then so be it.

The new guys who will be co-promoting alongside Mouse, John Britton & Dave Box will need all our support and do not mind in the slightest for constructive critisism. So if you think things are not to your liking let 'em know but in a positive way.

Before I get off me soap box the Wilton all-nighters will have been going 11 years, yes 11 *@*@ing years, enough said!

Dave Guiry  :D

link

Even on it's not so good nights the music at the Wilton is better than most nighters, only the Lifeline better IMHO. As for the decor f*** me, try looking round some of the places where they hold Northern Soul events, I bet most wish they had a venue like the Wilton.

The policy is still the same and I'm sure no one will attempt to change it. As for Modern....been played on many other occasions so why should the last one be any different?

Dave....The Carlton Club....brings back memories. DJ'ed there quite a few times for Mouse and Chris way back when......

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!