The Dynamics

Guest vinylvixen

Guest vinylvixen

Doing a bit of fact finding. Were the Dynamics who recorded 'Misery' & 'I wanna know' on Big Top the same Dynamics who recorded 'Yes I Love You' on Tip Top and 'You make me feel so good' on RCA? Thanks in advance. Jo :thumbup:

Social source share

• Replies 31
  • Views 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Guest Sue Males

Doing a bit of fact finding. Were the Dynamics who recorded 'Misery' & 'I wanna know' on Big Top the same Dynamics who recorded 'Yes I Love You' on Tip Top and 'You make me feel so good' on RCA? Thanks in advance. Jo :thumbup:

Hi Jo

Think you'll find Big Top & RCA group are the same outfit. Big Top being early, about 63/64, RCA later.

Top Ten different group.

Sue

Social source share

Guest vinylvixen

Hi Jo

Think you'll find Big Top & RCA group are the same outfit. Big Top being early, about 63/64, RCA later.

Top Ten different group.

Sue

Cheers Sue :thumbup: I was also wondering if there was a 'definative' CD collection with their Big Top & RCA material. Perhaps Tony Rounce would have some idea. Jo

Social source share

Guest martinsbox

Hi Jo

Top Ten different group.

Sue

R.C.A. group 22/7/66: Fred Baker (lead), Samuel D. Stevenson (lead), R. James, George H. White.

R.C.A. group 6/7/67: Fred Baker (lead), Samuel D. Stevenson (lead), Styling Shazer (lead), Zerben R. Hicks (lead), George H. White.

Cotillion group: Fred Baker, Samuel D. Stevenson, Isaac 'Zeke' Harris, George H. White.

Top Ten group is really The Dramatics . . . I think!!

Social source share

Guest vinylvixen

R.C.A. group 22/7/66: Fred Baker (lead), Samuel D. Stevenson (lead), R. James, George H. White.

R.C.A. group 6/7/67: Fred Baker (lead), Samuel D. Stevenson (lead), Styling Shazer (lead), Zerben R. Hicks (lead), George H. White.

Cotillion group: Fred Baker, Samuel D. Stevenson, Isaac 'Zeke' Harris, George H. White.

Doh - I meant Top Ten not Tip Top....that sounds like a 7Ts powdered cream topping laugh.gif

Thanks for the group line-ups thumbsup.gif I don't know any of their Cotillion sides. Any recommendations? Did they record on any other labels other than Big Top, RCA and Cotillion?? Ta very much. Jo

Social source share

Doh - I meant Top Ten not Tip Top....that sounds like a 7Ts powdered cream topping laugh.gif

Thanks for the group line-ups thumbsup.gif I don't know any of their Cotillion sides. Any recommendations? Did they record on any other labels other than Big Top, RCA and Cotillion?? Ta very much. Jo

Hello Jo there's a Dynamics album titled " What a shame " which is highly rated by 70's fans , also check out " We found love " and " We can make it if we try " on Columbia , which are both superb .Best ,Eddie

Social source share

Guest Sue Males

Yes, there was an early group line up that recorded on Dynamics & Reprise, then in later years (70's) on the Black Gold label that Nordic Soul mentions.

Social source share

Guest vinylvixen

Hello Jo there's a Dynamics album titled " What a shame " which is highly rated by 70's fans , also check out " We found love " and " We can make it if we try " on Columbia , which are both superb .Best ,Eddie

Cheers Eddie thumbsup.gif I'm on a bit of a Dynamics soul learning curve at the moment......I don't know any of the material that you've mentioned so that's brilliant :lol: Hope you're not too water logged where you are huh.gif Jo

Social source share

Guest vinylvixen

Thanks also to Sue and Nordic for the other Dynamics info....this is turning into a right good thread smile.gif Jo

Social source share

"Top Ten group is really The Dramatics . . . I think!!"

You think right, I think.

Same guys who did "Bingo" on Wingate, credited to both The Dramatics and Dynamics.

Social source share

Guest vinylvixen

Same guys who did "Bingo" on Wingate, credited to both The Dramatics and Dynamics.

Ah....so the Top Ten Dynamics are the Wingate Dynamics - but they aren't the RCA, Big Top, Cotillion etc etc Dynamics. This is getting verrrrrrrry interesting yes.gif Jo

Social source share

RECORDED ON COTTILIION ,BRAINSTORM,DOUGLAS,DYNA ,WINGATE,SAA-CE ALSO,THINK THE SEVENTIES OUTFIT HAD A DIFFERNT LINE UP MIGHT BE WRONG.

BAZ A

The Dynamics on Dyna is an unrelated group from the Carolinas I think.

Social source share

Just to confuse things even more, I thought the group on "Saa Ce" were a Seattle based group who had other discs on "Seafair Bolo" & "Jerden". I think they even put out an album, and backed "Jimmy Hanna" as well? What about the various Dynamics on "Cuca 1081" , "Decca 31046", "Liberty 55628 ",Herald 569" & "USA 769". Looks like a pretty popular name for a group back in the day!

DES PARKER

Social source share

The dynamics with zerben hicks etc were managed by a guy called TED WHITE he was married to ARETHA FRANKLIN apparently.All the line up were from Detroit but the percussion section were all Memphis stalwards including Reggie Young,Bobby Emmons and Bobby Wood,most of their later stuff was recorded in Memphis.

BAZ A.

Social source share

Doh - I meant Top Ten not Tip Top....that sounds like a 7Ts powdered cream topping :ohmy:

Thanks for the group line-ups :rolleyes: I don't know any of their Cotillion sides. Any recommendations? Did they record on any other labels other than Big Top, RCA and Cotillion?? Ta very much. Jo

These are both quite good Jo:

DYNAMICSCOTILLION44004AIN'T NO SUN / MURDER IN THE FIRST DEGREE

DYNAMICSCOTILLION44038AIN'T NO LOVE AT ALL / WHAT WOULD I DO

The latter is my personal favourite of their Cotillion sides plus there's this released in the UK and Sweden(amongst other countries):

DYNAMICSATLANTIC584270ICE CREAM SONG / THE LOVE THAT I NEEDRegards

Paul

Edited by sitc01
Social source share

The Zerben Hicks led Dynamics may feature in the September Issue of There's That Beat! The group are on something of a revival at the moment with a CD release of lots of their hits from over the years and a new management/label in place.

Regards,

Dave

www.theresthatbeat.com

www.hitsvillesoulclub.com

Social source share

Guest Dante

Ok, lets see if I'm getting it:

The "Detroit" Dramatics who recorded on WIngate and Sport were aka Dynamics but have nothing to do with the "NYC" Dynamics on Big Top and RCA????

Social source share

Guest vinylvixen

The Zerben Hicks led Dynamics may feature in the September Issue of There's That Beat! The group are on something of a revival at the moment with a CD release of lots of their hits from over the years and a new management/label in place.

Regards,

Dave

www.theresthatbeat.com

Dave, are the ZH Dynamics the RCA/ Big Top Dynamics?? Do you have a track list for their CD?? I feel a sale coming on :rolleyes: Jo

Social source share

ive always thought the Royal Jokers on Wingate (Love games A to Z) sounded like the Dramatics.....has this been proved/disproved yes.gifno.gif

Social source share

Dave, are the ZH Dynamics the RCA/ Big Top Dynamics?? Do you have a track list for their CD?? I feel a sale coming on :rolleyes: Jo

Jo,

The RCA and Big Top groups are the same. The CD is in the promo stage at the moment and I can tell you it's the dogs nads as it comes in a cardboard vintage looking sleeve. The mag may well feature the group and all it's tentacles within the Detroit music scene, in the next issue. There are lots of interesting overlaps with the group that will ceratainly surprise a few people. I'll ask Jason to send me a pic of the CD and post it up here on it's release.

Regards,

Dave

www.theresthatbeat.com

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!