• Replies 21
  • Views 5.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Guest Ste Brazil

Hi All,

Going to Skala in Kefalonia on Thursday for 2 weeks.

Anyone know of any bar that plays any northern or Motown?

Thanks

Brian

Hi,

I was over there last month and other than a bar that had one Northern CD we didn't find anywhere - wasnt suprised though, the place was fairly quiet.

Ste.

Social source share

Guest Darks

Hi All,

Going to Skala in Kefalonia on Thursday for 2 weeks.

Anyone know of any bar that plays any northern or Motown?

Thanks

Brian

Been to Kefalonia many times and would say you will be struggling. The Island is very much a quite place as Ste has said. The only place approaching anywhere near a lively sea side sort of Tennerife type thing is a resort called Lassi which is quite a way from Skala.

Most of the bars and taverna's are Greek run and so you hear mainly Greek music and Europop. Your best bet is to take your own CD's and see if they will play them.

Music aside Kefolonia is a great place and I'm sure you will have a very relaxing time.

Regards Alan

PS If you do find somwhere please let me know. We're going back again next year.

Social source share

Guest andrew bin

Been to Kefalonia many times and would say you will be struggling. The Island is very much a quite place as Ste has said. The only place approaching anywhere near a lively sea side sort of Tennerife type thing is a resort called Lassi which is quite a way from Skala.

Most of the bars and taverna's are Greek run and so you hear mainly Greek music and Europop. Your best bet is to take your own CD's and see if they will play them.

Music aside Kefolonia is a great place and I'm sure you will have a very relaxing time.

Regards Alan

PS If you do find somwhere please let me know. We're going back again next year.

Tony the Hat and Paul Morrell had a doo out there in May, maybe he left some cd's behind :D

Social source share

Was in Skala last September and Lassi in 2001,Skala is the better resort for tavernas and the beach,down the steps and go right towards the headland but don't go any further unless you've got no shame that is!

As for northern...take an mp3 loaded up...enjoy the scenary...you must visit Myrtos bay,again go to the right of the bay for the best conditions.

Hope to go back this year,perhaps you can report back,have a great time,John Elias. :D

Social source share

Thanks for your replies.

I thought I might be struggling but you never know.

I have 7400 tracks on my Creative Zen, so at least I can listen alone, but won't be able to educate the Greeks and tourists.

Thanks again,

Brian B

Social source share

I'm sure that over the years I've seen somewhere, probably on ebay, that Frank Beverly and the Butlers "If That's What You Wanted" got a release on a local Greek label, and with a picture sleeve too !

So that's something that you may want to keep an eye out for if you see any little old Greek ladies having a car boot - or donkey back - sale !!!

Social source share

brilliant island kefalonia

hire one of the little motor boats in fiskardo (and elsewhere) and just pootle round till you find a nice empty cove is my advice

however don't make the mistake of thinking, 'Ithaca doesn't look very far.' :lol:

no northern there at all when we went but we took our own so we didn't care and with little kids we didn't get out at night anyway thumbsup.gif

Social source share

brilliant island kefalonia

hire one of the little motor boats in fiskardo (and elsewhere) and just pootle round till you find a nice empty cove is my advice

however don't make the mistake of thinking, 'Ithaca doesn't look very far.' :ohmy:

no northern there at all when we went but we took our own so we didn't care and with little kids we didn't get out at night anyway :rolleyes:

Thanks Dan (and everyone else)

Is there any decent walking. I know you like the lakes. I'll try to get up Aenos, 5500ft I believe, but is there any other good walking?

Social source share

Beautiful island, went afew years back and hopped between there and Zakynthos which is very close by. We stayed mainly in Scala.....phew it will be bloody hot right now....hope you've got air con? We didn't as we stayed in small cell like room(we didn't have a big budget) and I spent most nights jumping in and out of a cold bath :rolleyes:

Social source share

Guest Awake 502

There are some decent bars in Agostoli around the square where I heard a few decent soul tunes played, no northern though..

I was in Zakynthos 2 weeks ago, 114 degrees at 11am...... :rolleyes:

Social source share

Is there any decent walking. I know you like the lakes. I'll try to get up Aenos, 5500ft I believe, but is there any other good walking?

Some small books available with routes,maps and walks titled THE WAY TO GO ON KEFALONIA by Sue Thompson are useful,you may find them easier when you get there. biggrin.gif

Social source share

Guest Ranger

If you're hiring a car The Drogarati cave and the Lake at Melissani are worth a visit. They're on the main bus tour routes though so they can be busy.

Kev

Social source share

Went to Agia Efima a few years ago - on the North(ish) east of the island. Dead nice, very 'local' (i.e no neon, burger bars, slot machines etc - used to live on the Lincs coast so had my fill of that stuff for a lifetime whistling.gif ) and boiling hot at about 10am (unlike the lincs coast). Kefalonia Meat pie was rank, though. Took a little boat out and spent a day going to tiny deserted beaches. The roads were vey hairy, especially the 'dirt track' to Myrtos Beach. Little did we know how sheer the drops were on the roads that the cabbie who took us from the airport were. He must've been doing 75 all the way - at night. ohmy.gif Amazing landscape though and the whole place smelt of olives. :lol:

Social source share

Guest andrew bin

Went to Agia Efima a few years ago - on the North(ish) east of the island. Dead nice, very 'local' (i.e no neon, burger bars, slot machines etc - used to live on the Lincs coast so had my fill of that stuff for a lifetime :rolleyes: ) and boiling hot at about 10am (unlike the lincs coast). Kefalonia Meat pie was rank, though. Took a little boat out and spent a day going to tiny deserted beaches. The roads were vey hairy, especially the 'dirt track' to Myrtos Beach. Little did we know how sheer the drops were on the roads that the cabbie who took us from the airport were. He must've been doing 75 all the way - at night. :ohmy: Amazing landscape though and the whole place smelt of olives. wink.gif

it's somewere me and tracie have allways fancied going, looks stunning and captain corelli's mandolin was fimed there :ohmy: unfortunately we missed Tony's and paul's soul doo out there earlier this year :( , we'll definately be there next for the next one :thumbsup:

Social source share

Thanks again everyone. Really looking forward to it now.

Hiring a little boat sounds good. Thanks for the tip on Ithaca Dan!

I love walking and climbing so the mountain looks good.

The heat sounds a bit more than I anticipated, but look at the weather here, so no complaints at all.

We saw a few snakes in Scotland in May, and we are used to seeing critters when we are walking, so we will be wary of 'em.

I'll take my radio transmitter for my Zen and see if I can get a few sounds played.

Bev, don't forget to text me to tell me about the Burnley all nighter.

I'll let you know what it was like when I get back.

Thanks again everyone!

Social source share

i think there is brian but to be honest we went with our kids who were three or four at the time so didn't do any.

one thing i would say, it will be blooming hot so if you are walking take a LOT of water (i know granny, sucking apples, but it's a warm old place)

Social source share

i think there is brian but to be honest we went with our kids who were three or four at the time so didn't do any.

one thing i would say, it will be blooming hot so if you are walking take a LOT of water (i know granny, sucking apples, but it's a warm old place)

I'll second that,love walking in my native Snowdonia but not in the heat,we left Crete on the 19th of June this year and it was 39 degrees at 10am,phew.

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!