Cleethorpes Pics - After Dark All Nighters

I've finally managed to upload some pictures from the Winter Gardens all nighters which were promoted by Crofty. What a great night this used to be. I'm not sure how to transfer them into this post - but for those that are interested have a look at the Members Gallery - I've posted in there. I've also got loads of pics from the Clifton Hall all nighters which I'll try and get up some other time and a load of other venues.

It would be great to hear any comments etc.

Best

Peter

:thumbup:

Social source share

• Replies 27
  • Views 3.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Posted Images

I've finally managed to upload some pictures from the Winter Gardens all nighters which were promoted by Crofty. What a great night this used to be. I'm not sure how to transfer them into this post - but for those that are interested have a look at the Members Gallery - I've posted in there. I've also got loads of pics from the Clifton Hall all nighters which I'll try and get up some other time and a load of other venues.

Best

Peter

Fukc none of me............well one maybe?but not sure.

Social source share

Which pic Ken? Who did you knock round with in them days then? We were you living at the time - I knew most people who were going then.

Scotty(great picture by the way),Hokcie,more than the odd game of cards,used go in Crofty`s van(boogie bus),cant forget Bruno(Bruntie)........Doncaster;Rotherham;Hull;Sheffield;York and Barnsley crowd,lived in York and Rotherham at the time.

Ken

Social source share

Scotty(great picture by the way),Hokcie,more than the odd game of cards,used go in Crofty`s van(boogie bus),cant forget Bruno(Bruntie)........Doncaster;Rotherham;Hull;Sheffield;York and Barnsley crowd,lived in York and Rotherham at the time.

Ken

We may well know each other then Ken - I knew most of the crew that you mentioned. They were great days - and nights!

Social source share

We may well know each other then Ken - I knew most of the crew that you mentioned. They were great days - and nights!

post-1986-1185194695_thumb.jpg

The one at the bakc centre,but could be little Greg from Donny used to knokc round with Chalkie,not the same one on here,blakc lad from Donny.........good people.

Social source share

post-1986-1185194695_thumb.jpg

The one at the bakc centre,but could be little Greg from Donny used to knokc round with Chalkie,not the same one on here,blakc lad from Donny.........good people.

I certainly know the face mate. The others on the front row from left are Ross - he used to go for about four years, Terry - my big niter buddy - we still get out and about - both from Mablethorpe, and on the right Bruno - as you know. Top geezer.

Social source share

I havent changed a bit :P save me haircut.........you ask for a wedge now,all you get is a big step all the way round :thumbup:

:D

I think the other two at the back were Mablethorpe lads who went to their one and only niter - that's probably why you're looking away!

:no:

Social source share

I havent changed a bit :D save me haircut.........you ask for a wedge now,all you get is a big step all the way round :P

I still look the same as well - I'm the one with the grey leather jacket on outside Browns cafe - and the one dancing on his own with no shirt on. I'm in lots of others too - mainly because I was so Greek God stylee!

Social source share

Guest Trevski

Notice a lot of 'Soul 'tash's' in those pics! Very popular to have a pet slug under your nose in those days! :thumbup:  I had one myself, called 'Milo' ! :P

Edited by Trevski
Social source share

Good stuff Peter.

Half expected 'em to be in Black & White

Good picture of Mick Scott. That lad could certainly dance (all night long).

I used to run the coach from Sheffield, Rotherham & Doncaster. Donnie was the last call, but Scotty stil always ended up on the back seat... along with all the other naughty boys :thumbup: .

South Yorks crew were fantastic. Packed the coach every week.

Also, I always remember the lads from Hull being a really dedicated bunch (Nellie ring any bells?).

Ken will have been a very young lad back then.

They all were!

Loved doing Clifton Hall but "After Dark" cleggy was every bit as good.

Main reason was the crowd were tremendous. It seemed that everything I ever played packed the floor. Of course these were the days when the Northern Scene was far more open minded and progressing nicely. As a result we manage to break some incredible stuff! It was a year or two later before the brakes came on... and the whole thing started going in reverse.

Would love to see your Clifton Hall pics Peter.

Thanks a bunch

Sean

Social source share

Good stuff Peter.

I used to run the coach from Sheffield, Rotherham & Doncaster. Donnie was the last call, but Scotty stil always ended up on the back seat... along with all the other naughty boys :thumbup: .

Also, I always remember the lads from Hull being a really dedicated bunch (Nellie ring any bells?).

They all were!

Main reason was the crowd were tremendous. It seemed that everything I ever played packed the floor. Of course these were the days when the Northern Scene was far more open minded and progressing nicely. As a result we manage to break some incredible stuff! It was a year or two later before the brakes came on... and the whole thing started going in reverse.

Thanks a bunch

Sean

Nellie,dodgy as me in them days but not as good :rolleyes: ,and Scotty divided his time between the toilet and the dance floor,used to use a Jif lemon for his talc,propper caracter bet he`s still in the same flat,who was on the coach for the ric-a-tic-a-ty revue,when we thought Scotty had kikced the bukcet,scarey i`ll tell ya`.

Edited by ken
Social source share

Best

Peter

Hi, i remember eric ,bruno, terry ,liz king is sat on the stage ,scotty is my bother, god help me.I used to go to cleethorpes niters with him ,sean hamsey used to run a coach from sheffield.

Social source share

Hi, i remember eric ,bruno, terry ,liz king is sat on the stage ,scotty is my bother, god help me.I used to go to cleethorpes niters with him ,sean hamsey used to run a coach from sheffield.

Hi,Debs.....hope you and Howard is well :D

Social source share

Yeh... that's right Debbie... I just said that above!

Think its really funny that you said "Scotty is my bother".

I'm sure you're right honey!

Hope you're well.

Best to Howard.

Sean

Social source share

Good stuff Peter.

:lol:

I used to run the coach from Sheffield, Rotherham & Doncaster. Donnie was the last call, but Scotty stil always ended up on the back seat... along with all the other naughty boys :lol: .

They all were!

Thanks a bunch

thumbsup.gif

Sean

Hi Sean

Yes the south yorks massive were a great bunch - still are! Scotty was a character for sure - I think we all were in those days. I think I know most of the Hull lads - and lasses, there was a young lady from hull who I thought was beautiful - she was a lovely girl too - I can't remember her name now!

We loved the music you were playing Sean - and some of the other jocks at this time - Poke, Richard - early Clifton Hall before all the politics, Sam, Arthur, some of Pat Brady's stuff etc, etc. We were hungry for new, soul music and we knew we would find it at venues like Clifton Hall and Cleethorpes. For me these were the best times I ever had on the soul scene - for lots of reasons - but mainly the music.

I'll have as sort through the other pics and get em up when I can.

Best.

Peter

:lol:

Social source share

Hi Debbie

Good to hear from you. Hope you're all well.

Peter

thumbsup.gif

Social source share

Guest Byrney

Best

Peter

:rolleyes:

Nice picture of some of the Notts lot. Ian Gregory and Roz, Shippo and Sharon, Alf, the lovely Trish, Dave (Mighty Lover) Taylor (he's on here lurking you know).

Great stuff.

:ohmy:

Social source share

Guest southpaw

Best

Peter

:rolleyes:

Pete, Just been looking at the pics you posted brilliant mate :thumbsup: when would they have been taken 79/80 a few faces from the past in them mate, makes you wonder just have where have all the years gone :ohmy:

Alan

Social source share

Pete, Just been looking at the pics you posted brilliant mate :lol: when would they have been taken 79/80 a few faces from the past in them mate, makes you wonder just have where have all the years gone :thumbsup:

Alan

Thanks Alan

I think probably 1981 - but could be wrong? The years have flown by mate - wonderful memories of those days though.

Take it easy mate.

Peter

thumbsup.gif

Social source share

Great pictures there - really capture the special atmosphere of the Cleggy Niters (Part 2). I'ld say '82? I travelled from Loughborough every fortnight with a regular crew from there, Derby and various other waifs and strays. Loads of good times with good people like - Sue,Linda,Smog,Woody,Adam,Ady Connolly,Rob Tipper,Jaimie Saul (RIP),Ant Shearer,Cheryl,Mike Godfrey,Pete Shirley,Dave/Adam (Dewsbury),

Musically very inspiring, from the more readily available (if you were prepared to hunt around)platters served up be Sean,Crofty,Darren to the rarities of Poke and Sam. Both as good as each other I would say.

5 Records off the top of my head taht will always remind me of those Cleethorpes Niters

Demetri - Got To Be Real

The Dramatics - I Can't Stand It

The Whispers - I'm gonna Love You More ("The Whispers"!!)

Booker Newberry III - Love Town

Mind & Matter - Under Your Spell ("Merlin & The Magicians")

(ok make it 6...) - Horizon - They Don't Make em Like You (The immortal ""Eddie Richards & 3 way split")

Social source share

[quote name='Robin S'

5 Records off the top of my head taht will always remind me of those Cleethorpes Niters

Demetri - Got To Be Real

(ok make it 6...) - Horizon - They Don't Make em Like You (The immortal ""Eddie Richards & 3 way split")

Social source share

[quote name='Robin S'

Demetri - Got To Be Real

Got to make it 7 - cannot miss out Norman Connors "Take It To The Limit"....

Wasn't there a thread a few months ago where Sean/Darren listed a load of Clees sounds?

=============

interesting time for me this era

me and jakey from nuneaton jused to go these niters

all 70's/80s real shift in music for me but great times and great nites...

2pm on the way home

happy days!

Social source share

Guest Awake 502

This was originally covered as Leon and The Whispers as a joke, it was still readilly available at the time on a Solar L.P. The fun me and Shaun had whilst certain "big name" d.j's were desperately trying to find a copy. Eventually found a 7" copy which I believe is quite rare, happy days.

Will dig out a few pictures later....

Social source share

Great pictures there - really capture the special atmosphere of the Cleggy Niters (Part 2). I'ld say '82? I travelled from Loughborough every fortnight with a regular crew from there, Derby and various other waifs and strays. Loads of good times with good people like - Sue,Linda,Smog,Woody,Adam,Ady Connolly,Rob Tipper,Jaimie Saul (RIP),Ant Shearer,Cheryl,Mike Godfrey,Pete Shirley,Dave/Adam (Dewsbury),

Musically very inspiring, from the more readily available (if you were prepared to hunt around)platters served up be Sean,Crofty,Darren to the rarities of Poke and Sam. Both as good as each other I would say.

Demetri - Got To Be Real

Hi Robin

You're spot on mate - the mixture of music being played was perfect for me ay the time - and many others, yourself included by the sound of things. Great atmosphere - great people.

:thumbsup:

Social source share

• 3 weeks later...
Guest dave clifford

Demetri - Got To Be Real

wow a long time ago great times biggrin.gif

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!