Any Great New Discoveries This Year?

Dayo

Hi all

Been a long while since I've posted - it's been an incredible busy time with work and family commitments.

I was just wondering if anything amazing has surfaced in the past 6 months or so? Anybody unearthed anything spectacular that I might get to hear someday soon?

I know it's no longer 1973, when new discoveries were an almost daily event. Just curious if anything previously unheard is setting the scene alight in my absence?

Cheers all

Colin

Social source share

• Replies 85
  • Views 7.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Guest in town Mikey

Crikey - I'll take that deafening silence as a NO then!

Or was it a daft question?

Hi Dayo

Great to see you back.

I dont get out as often as most on here, but went to one of the 6ts do's in Jacks. Early doors Ady played a good 8 or more new tracks. If I knew how to I'd find my post in events lookbacks which highlighted the ones I could remember.

I do remember Ady playing at least one of the girl group offerings one night at the Cleethorpes weekender.

Maybe someone can help me out as they've probably had a decent amount of airings now. At least 3 were instantly great, the rest I'd need to hear again a few times.

Edited by in town Mikey
Social source share

enough cover ups sat on the shelves of major collectors unplayed yet to keep the scene going for years and years.

I see soul records i've never heard off sell on ebay for over $1000 practically every week so thats all the proof I need.

Social source share

I’ve recently heard the remix of the Nurons – All Of My Life, but I think that's been know about for a few years.

Also, just got a decent sound file of Butch’s Just Brothers cover up. Couldn’t remember when I first heard it, I thought it can’t be that long ago, but just found a niter taper from Lincoln Drill Hall with it on …….1987! (Anyone else go?)

Aside from recently found studio tapes and acetates, I would be interested to know what was the last true new discovery of a released piece of vinyl. I don’t mean a one off, or something that been covered up and been sitting in a collection for years until recently coming to light. But rather a freshly found never heard of before actual record?

Social source share

Guest in town Mikey

I've recently heard the remix of the Nurons - All Of My Life, but I think that's been know about for a few years.

Also, just got a decent sound file of Butch's Just Brothers cover up. Couldn't remember when I first heard it, I thought it can't be that long ago, but just found a niter taper from Lincoln Drill Hall with it on .......1987! (Anyone else go?)

Aside from recently found studio tapes and acetates, I would be interested to know what was the last true new discovery of a released piece of vinyl. I don't mean a one off, or something that been covered up and been sitting in a collection for years until recently coming to light. But rather a freshly found never heard of before actual record?

If you mean 60s as opposed to more recent modern discoveries, I'd say Sam playing Margaret Little is a good contender.

Social source share

I've recently heard the remix of the Nurons - All Of My Life, but I think that's been know about for a few years.

Also, just got a decent sound file of Butch's Just Brothers cover up. Couldn't remember when I first heard it, I thought it can't be that long ago, but just found a niter taper from Lincoln Drill Hall with it on .......1987! (Anyone else go?)

Aside from recently found studio tapes and acetates, I would be interested to know what was the last true new discovery of a released piece of vinyl. I don't mean a one off, or something that been covered up and been sitting in a collection for years until recently coming to light. But rather a freshly found never heard of before actual record?

don't know if its well know

doc peabody - here without you - both sides

tim brown revieved it in manifesto a couple of months ago, ive only heard it out when me or soul sams played it.

its in the sounds section.

great tune

Social source share

If you mean 60s as opposed to more recent modern discoveries, I'd say Sam playing Margaret Little is a good contender.

Yeah but that's been around for 6-7 years now, not counting those that knew it in the 80s. There is some good new stuff around, and quite DJ's spinning 'em.

Social source share

I don't mean a one off, or something that been covered up and been sitting in a collection for years until recently coming to light. But rather a freshly found never heard of before actual record?

But how are you going to know the difference ? If 2 or 3 collectors have been holding something back for a few years before they play it.

It will still be hailed as a new discovery.

Social source share

I've recently heard the remix of the Nurons - All Of My Life, but I think that's been know about for a few years

Sounds very interesting :thumbsup: Anyone have a sound clip??

CB

Social source share

There'll always be stuff thats new on the (public) scene but many more things sit in collections never to be played out. I like to play stuff I think no one knows but am often told "so and so played that years ago" laugh.gif .

The one on my current avatar 'You're Different' by the Soul Aces has yet to have that leveled at it, though I'm always asked about it after a set.

Theres more stuff I don't know than know even amoungst known stuff :thumbsup: sound like Donald Rumsfeld now :lol:

Social source share

Although I do say so myself, I really believe it would be very hard to find a better discovery this year than "You Better Keep What You Got" by Rozetta Johnson.

Or are there loads of better records that I haven't heard???

:thumbsup:

Paul Mooney

Social source share

how much turntable action has

bill brandon "you've got that somethign wonderful" had ?

baught it for the deep side but I reckon this is well worth some action.

oh and innersouls "thoughts" mellow x-over simply sublime this would be massive I reckon. :)

Social source share

Hi Simon, it was known about before then, John Vincent told me he offered it to Richard Searling at Wigan and Richard said it was too good for the Northern crowd and gave it back :ohmy: It then finished up with Butch. Can't remember if I went to Lincoln Drill Hall or not :) Did one niter in Lincoln around then although it could have been bit later :unsure:

Nu-Rons has been known about a few years but hardly played, I can't even remember how different it is it's that long since I heard it.

Edited by chalky
Social source share

I dont get out as often as most on here, but went to one of the 6ts do's in Jacks. Early doors Ady played a good 8 or more new tracks. If I knew how to I'd find my post in events lookbacks which highlighted the ones I could remember.

I do remember Ady playing at least one of the girl group offerings one night at the Cleethorpes weekender.

Maybe someone can help me out as they've probably had a decent amount of airings now. At least 3 were instantly great, the rest I'd need to hear again a few times.

One of them is an unissued Opals Okeh recording, there's the Holly Maxwell unissued Chess and the Demures I Wanna Be Good To You all unissued masters. A crossover one I play by the Paramount 4 is similar and I think as good as Unique Blend and there's a stunning male vocal group acetate by the Quotations I Wanna Thank You Baby. They're all from different sources but I reckon I've got as good a batch of new stuff as in the RCA unissued days. It's just finding the time and the crowd to play them to.

Social source share

how much turntable action has bill brandon "you've got that somethign wonderful" had ? baught it for the deep side but I reckon this is well worth some action. oh and innersouls "thoughts" mellow x-over simply sublime this would be massive I reckon. :)

Yes, it's odd that it isn't better known. Great record.

Paul Mooney

Social source share

One of them is an unissued Opals Okeh recording, there's the Holly Maxwell unissued Chess and the Demures I Wanna Be Good To You all unissued masters. A crossover one I play by the Paramount 4 is similar and I think as good as Unique Blend and there's a stunning male vocal group acetate by the Quotations I Wanna Thank You Baby. They're all from different sources but I reckon I've got as good a batch of new stuff as in the RCA unissued days. It's just finding the time and the crowd to play them to.

what is the title of the unissued opals 45? They kept asking me if a song called "starlight starbright" was released, I said it wasn't, is that the title of the cut you're playing?

Social source share

Hi Simon, it was known about before then, John Vincent told me he offered it to Richard Searling at Wigan and Richard said it was too good for the Northern crowd and gave it back :rolleyes: It then finished up with Butch. Can't remember if I went to Lincoln Drill Hall or not :rolleyes: Did one niter in Lincoln around then although it could have been bit later :unsure:

Nu-Rons has been known about a few years but hardly played, I can't even remember how different it is it's that long since I heard it.

You didn't miss much, particulary Butch's spot - a load of over played oldies! :lol:

APPOINTMENTS

FRANK BEVERLY – WANTED

MELLO SOULS –

DEVOTIONS – DO DO

SOUL BROTHERS INC – PYRAMID

DELEGATE 0F SOUL – RUNNING

CHERYL ANN – LET

DIANE LEWIS – CHANCE C/U

GENE TOONES

LITTLE JOHN – HEARTBREAKING TIME

TWO PLU TWO – LOVE WILL CONQUOR

TOMMY RIDGLEY

JAMES DOCKERY – FAITH

SUFFLER – ALWAYS BE MINE

MR LUCKY – I WAS BORN TO LOVE YOU

RAY AGEE- LOSING

CHANTELLE & AQUALADS – I’LL NEVEER KNOW

MELLO SOULS

JUST BROTHERS – C/U

Social source share

S-S is lovely but not a dancer, the title begins with "Can't" but I keep getting the rest of it wrong!

Do you know if the material is available on a CD somewhere (either starlight starbright or the one you're talking about)? I'd like to get recordings to give to the group members. Thanks.

Social source share

Although I do say so myself, I really believe it would be very hard to find a better discovery this year than "You Better Keep What You Got" by Rozetta Johnson.

wink.gif

Paul Mooney

Yes I agree Paul ,this is a fantastic Soul record ,great to see it currently available for everyone , can't wait for the CD release as well . Best Wishes ,Eddie

Social source share

2 months ago, a local antique/estate dealer I frequent was dealing with Bobby Day's family, and sold me over 20 hours of personal reel to reel tapes recorded at Bobby's own studio, and masters I have yet to identify...

They all range from the early 60's to mid 70's, are moldy and frail, so they are all being transferred to digital right now as we speak by a veteran engineer here in Los Angeles. It is costing me thousands (no kidding), but as I listened to some of these tapes at the lab, MY JAW DROPPED..

It HAS to be done , so it is. Its worth doing. They were heading for the trash, no lie.

There will be some very nice new discoveries in this stuff; its just gonna take a few months to sort it all out.

I will keep my fellow soulies posted as progress is made.

VERY exciting stuff... Stay tuned. :rolleyes:

Social source share

Well not strictly a new discovery because it's been known about for years but one which is getting more spins this year is Homer Banks "Seetie Pie".

Steve,

It's damn RARE too.. brilliant record,not to mention the male group backing. I'm gonna dig that out and put it into my early doors sets.

Social source share

Guest James Trouble

how much turntable action has

bill brandon "you've got that somethign wonderful" had ?

baught it for the deep side but I reckon this is well worth some action.

oh and innersouls "thoughts" mellow x-over simply sublime this would be massive I reckon. :D

It's the flip side of that you wnat to play. Not sure it belongs in a "new discovery" thread, it's been hammered for a few years, been reissued as well, most soul collectors outside the northern scene know about it. Funk oldie :yes:

Edited by James Trouble
Social source share

Steve,

It's damn RARE too.. brilliant record,not to mention the male group backing. I'm gonna dig that out and put it into my early doors sets.

Early doors where John?

Apart from the Weekenders, do you DJ regularly, or even intermittently, somewhere?

Let me know please.

Any luck with Donnie Elbert?

Social source share

It's the flip side of that you wnat to play. Not sure it belongs in a "new discovery" thread, it's been hammered for a few years, been reissued as well, most soul collectors outside the northern scene know about it. Funk oldie :P

yes I know the other side is a track thats had a lot of action on the funk scene and is known but i'm talking here about the thoughts side on its own merits.

Social source share

:(

Paul Mooney

TOTAL quality Paul :huh:

The Boro lads played it at The Orwell on Friday, I also played it yesterday at the 'Orwell' all dayer in Darlington!

Was speaking to Sam on the way up yesterday and he's now armed with the 45 and thinks he may be giving it a few spins too!

Good luck with it mate :P

Steve

Social source share

Guest MARTIN SNOW

Flipping heck, a load of banter but virtually no music !

Here's one that should go big, what a tune : IMAGE - WE'RE MOVING - VERDI - LATE 70'S

Infact there's one on ebay at the moment with a clip. Check it out 10/10.

Martin

Social source share

Flipping heck, a load of banter but virtually no music !

Here's one that should go big, what a tune : IMAGE - WE'RE MOVING - VERDI - LATE 70'S

Infact there's one on ebay at the moment with a clip. Check it out 10/10.

Martin

Its been big already Martin , what a tempo hey nice and fast !!

Social source share

It's a good one, but hard to find a truly mint copy of this. It's pressed with very low volume and the tiniest scratch causes "clicks" on this 45. I've had somewhere between 5-10 copies over the years and none of them have played perfect. :D

Edited by Sebastian
Social source share

It's a good one, but hard to find a truly mint copy of this. It's pressed with very low volume and the tiniest scratch causes "clicks" on this 45. I've had somewhere between 5-10 copies over the years and none of them have played perfect. :P

Yep your right about the Volume , I always reached for the master volume when I played this , thats if I could find it :D

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!