Any Great New Discoveries This Year?

Dayo

I've recently heard the remix of the Nurons - All Of My Life, but I think that's been know about for a few years.

Also, just got a decent sound file of Butch's Just Brothers cover up. Couldn't remember when I first heard it, I thought it can't be that long ago, but just found a niter taper from Lincoln Drill Hall with it on .......1987! (Anyone else go?)

Was they the After dark promotions(Crofty)......yes went to em`all,footie in the early hours when the sun shon through the roof,with plassie bottles.

87,dont sound right tho`.

Edited by ken
Social source share

• Replies 85
  • Views 7.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Hasn't young Sam just acquired this? :ohmy:

Sam's about the 4th or 5th DJ to get the Parliaments (more on their way). Apart from being a f*cking great record and one of best discoveries for years, what made it even more appealing was you could only hear this when Butch was DJing. It was like years ago when you could only hear something like this on your travels, record like this keep it fresh and worth the travel. It'll soon be hammered...and will rank alongside many other great records that you get sick of hearing and can't be arsed to travel to hear let alone get up and dance to it :rolleyes:

What happened to DJ's having their own identity and sounds?

Edited by chalky
Social source share

I can understand us mere mortals craving after the "Cabell" tune, but I can't understand the logic of "top" D.J.'s buying the "Parliaments" for hideous amounts of Money, especially if they're playing at the same or similar venues to "Butch" you'd think common sense would dictate not to touch it with a bargepole whilst Butch is hammering it and use your hard earned X amount of thousands of Pounds to buy something that was unique to you, or am I being a little naive?

Des

Social source share

Has Sam ever found his own sounds? .. John Anderson and others gave him a brilliant service throughout the 80's , I had to wait ages for him to finnish on the decks at Soul Bowl . :ohmy:

Its also a fact that the 60's dancers are not really out there! , and people are looking to funkier stuff and modern for newies :rolleyes:

Edited by Simon M
Social source share

don't know if its well know

doc peabody - here without you - both sides

tim brown revieved it in manifesto a couple of months ago, ive only heard it out when me or soul sams played it.

its in the sounds section.

great tune

Had this one since early 80s direct from the owner of Both Sides Records. They were located in Ohio Cleveland. Richard Little was the guy . This WAS his last spare copy so dont know if its rare and what the official value is. Certainly never heard it spun that much.

Also from the same source some unreleased Jesse Fisher of ' Your Not Lovin A Begineer ' fame . All deep if memory serves me right. Also reviewed in an early Blackbeat magazine circa 81 ish ????

https://cratesofsoul.com/

Social source share

don't know if its well know

doc peabody - here without you - both sides

tim brown revieved it in manifesto a couple of months ago, ive only heard it out when me or soul sams played it.

its in the sounds section.

great tune

Had this one since early 80s direct from the owner of Both Sides Records. They were located in Ohio Cleveland. Richard Little was the guy . This WAS his last spare copy so dont know if its rare and what the official value is. Certainly never heard it spun that much.

Also from the same source some unreleased Jesse Fisher of ' Your Not Lovin A Begineer ' fame . All deep if memory serves me right. Also reviewed in an early Blackbeat magazine circa 81 ish ????

https://cratesofsoul.com/

Glyn, it's a pretty expensive record. It never came in quantity as far as I can tell - quite in demand now since old Baldy has got one. :sweatingbullets: Steve

Social source share

Hi all

Been a long while since I've posted - it's been an incredible busy time with work and family commitments.

I was just wondering if anything amazing has surfaced in the past 6 months or so? Anybody unearthed anything spectacular that I might get to hear someday soon?

I know it's no longer 1973, when new discoveries were an almost daily event. Just curious if anything previously unheard is setting the scene alight in my absence?

Cheers all

Colin

the 6 previously un released (?) tracks on the 3 Kent Select 45s are pretty good 4 me

Soul REPUBLIC. A FREE WEEKEND OF UNDERGROUND SOUL UNDER THE SUN. PERPIGNAN South Of France. Fri 17th & Sat 18th Of August.Tony Jackson.Andy Bellwood.Paul Rockey.Maria Willingham.Chris Morgan.Chic.Guy Joseph.Les Hare.Raphi 'Scorcher'+ Guests. www.freewebs.com/wesoulrepublic

Edited by YKSoulandy
Social source share

Guest mel brat

Although I do say so myself, I really believe it would be very hard to find a better discovery this year than "You Better Keep What You Got" by Rozetta Johnson.

Or are there loads of better records that I haven't heard???

:no:

Paul Mooney

I doubt if there are many better SOUL SINGERS that you haven't heard! :wub:

Social source share

Hi Simon, it was known about before then, John Vincent told me he offered it to Richard Searling at Wigan and Richard said it was too good for the Northern crowd and gave it back :wave: It then finished up with Butch. Can't remember if I went to Lincoln Drill Hall or not :P Did one niter in Lincoln around then although it could have been bit later unsure.gif

Nu-Rons has been known about a few years but hardly played, I can't even remember how different it is it's that long since I heard it.

Searling used to play The Nuron's covered up,at Wigan,if I remember rightly as Lamar Thomas-These chains that bind me all of my life,which was version was that?

Thanks

Pete

Edited by petebangor
Social source share

Searling used to play The Nuron's covered up,at Wigan,if I remember rightly as Lamar Thomas-These chains that bind me all of my life,which was version was that?

Thanks

Pete

He did have it covered up as Lamar Thomas & The Chains That Bind - All Of My Life Waiting For You, it's was the same version as that posted in this thread.

Social source share

Sam's about the 4th or 5th DJ to get the Parliaments (more on their way). Apart from being a f*cking great record and one of best discoveries for years, what made it even more appealing was you could only hear this when Butch was DJing. It was like years ago when you could only hear something like this on your travels, record like this keep it fresh and worth the travel. It'll soon be hammered...and will rank alongside many other great records that you get sick of hearing and can't be arsed to travel to hear let alone get up and dance to it rolleyes.gif

What happened to DJ's having their own identity and sounds?

more on the way..maybe there in the LA find with all the george pepp's, Eddie Daye and JD Bryants.. :D:D

It does amuse me that records like epitome of sound gets hammered for decades and others get a year or two of plays and all of a sudden we are all sick of them, i think that's more of an attention span disorder mate. It goes without saying if a record is rare, big and good people will want it, there is no point otherwise.

Social source share

There was a great new Discovery here on soul source, Barbara Jean English - Taste sour don't it / Unreleased acetate, 3 acetates came to light and were sold on, but they are not really in the hands of a DJ to make them big, the seller popped a sound file on here:

Now if that isn't a top draw 6ts Northern discovery I'll eat my hat and what else comes to hand, as its a far far superior Dancer to most of the new discoveries that get played..there was also a version By Jimmy Radcliffe which IMO was no where near babs version, but thats just my opinion.

Other tracks worth a mention that although not discovered this year are pretty newish, Act III on Haley Records, Lotusland records had a stock of this 45 which is where a certain DJ / dealer got them from.

Mal.C. :P

Edited by Mal.C.
Social source share

Carrie Cleveland "Make love to me"/"I need love" Audio Ent. Two super sides, and rather rare.

This track was discovered by one of the guys who has a shop on Haight Street in San Fransisco as Carrie was from the Bay area, both tracks came out as a 45 and on her only Lp, but both were different versions with a dodgy organ throughout, the 45 you speak about nearly never saw the light as Carrie did not like her vocal on that particular recording, and simply was not going to let her stock of the 45 go because of that fact.......great track though..

Mal.C. :P

Social source share

What exactly is a new discovery? There are many (although perhaps not plenty) of records that are not generally known, or/and have been played by lesser known DJ's, sometimes to one or two listeners, at rare soul do's, myself and friends included. I am also sure that there are plenty more languishing in collections. So, how does one qualify what a 'new discovery this year' is ?

Social source share

Guest James Trouble

The vast majority of the northern soul scene, with respect, rely on a handful of DJs who are pretty backward in their approach to soul music for their 'new discoveries'.

There are lots of interesting and exciting records being turned up all the time, but just because a bunch of DJs who are stuck in a retro rut don't get hold of them and play them at nights up north, it doesn't mean that they don't exist.

It's similar to the old "why does ever super rare record that gets talked about always seem to belong to Butch?" discussion. It's because Butch is one of only a very small handful of DJs ont he northern scene with the bollocks, attitude, and perhaps even arrogance to play what he really believes in while often sticking two fingers up to the non believers while he does it. It's the same with the "no new discoveries", it's not that they don't exist, it's just that the vast majority of the 'northern soul scene' are relying on backward looking DJs stuck in the past to get hold of them, and of course they won't get hold of them, and even if they did they wouldn't play them, because they don't have the taste, or the desire to get hold of and play unknowns or anything that is slightly unusual.

So that's why there are not many new discoveries being talked about, because there are very few DJs in the spot light who play new discoveries, it's not that they don't exist. rolleyes.gif

Edited by James Trouble
Social source share

Guest Trevski

This track was discovered by one of the guys who has a shop on Haight Street in San Fransisco as Carrie was from the Bay area, both tracks came out as a 45 and on her only Lp, but both were different versions with a dodgy organ throughout, the 45 you speak about nearly never saw the light as Carrie did not like her vocal on that particular recording, and simply was not going to let her stock of the 45 go because of that fact.......great track though..

Mal.C. biggrin.gif

True. Mine came from 'Cool Chris' Ventri, at the SF shop. Demo is the only one to have, without the dodgy organ! Only a handful or so done.I contacted Carrie herself, and she has no more...

I_need_love.mp3

Make_love_to_me.mp3

Edited by Trevski
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert