Emanons On All Brothers

Guest Juddy

Guest Juddy

Been a while since I've hit soul-source... this really surprised me!!

I recently bought a copy of "Want Ads" / "Bird Walkin'" by the Emanon's (and Emanon's Orch.) off of the E(vil)Bay for the princely sum of $20 (10 pounds).

It's still on my 'favorites' search thing, and now I see one going off today for $300 with 8 hours left in the auction!

Did I get super absurdly lucky? The seller did have a typo in the listing ...

Has that auction just gone batty?

Or did I buy a good-lookin' boot? How do I tell?

Mine looks the same as this one up now (LINK TO EBAY AUCTION) and has 'virtue' stamped in the deadwax, as he mentions... but mine's label is suspiciously clean and nice lookin'!! ohmy.gif

Any tips?

juddy

Social source share

• Replies 18
  • Views 3.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Posted Images

Been a while since I've hit soul-source... this really surprised me!!

I recently bought a copy of "Want Ads" / "Bird Walkin'" by the Emanon's (and Emanon's Orch.) off of the E(vil)Bay for the princely sum of $20 (10 pounds).

It's still on my 'favorites' search thing, and now I see one going off today for $300 with 8 hours left in the auction!

Did I get super absurdly lucky? The seller did have a typo in the listing ...

Has that auction just gone batty?

Or did I buy a good-lookin' boot? How do I tell?

Mine looks the same as this one up now (LINK TO EBAY AUCTION) and has 'virtue' stamped in the deadwax, as he mentions... but mine's label is suspiciously clean and nice lookin'!! ohmy.gif

Any tips?

juddy

Looks pretty much like my 70s boot mate. I used to have a real one and the vinyl was much heavier and I think the label was a deeper red. I think the boots play Bird Walkin slightly off centre too. Not sure about the virtue stamp though...

Godz

Social source share

There are also very, very slight differences in the typeface for the artist and titles. You need to look very closely, but the bootleg sports a 'newer', squarer style of typeface - check it against the one on Ebay at the moment, which is a definite original.

Social source share

BOOTLEG IS BRILLIANT,ONLY SURE WAY TO TELL IS BY THE WEIGHT, MR MANSHIP TOOK MINE AWAY TO WEIGH IT AND THEN VERIFIED ORIGINALTY, BE VERY CAREFUL.

ALLTHE BEST CARL W

ALL THE BEST TO YOU AND MARIA,

WHAT DOES A REAL ONE WEIGH THEN? I HAD MINE OF NEIL RUSHTON 4 YRS AGO £50 I SEEM TO REMEMBER.

JUST GOT IT OUT OF THE BOX FEELS QUITE HEAVY BUT NO SCALES TO WEIGH IT ON!!!!!

BEST WISHES

JOHN FISHER

Social source share

ALL THE BEST TO YOU AND MARIA,

WHAT DOES A REAL ONE WEIGH THEN? I HAD MINE OF NEIL RUSHTON 4 YRS AGO £50 I SEEM TO REMEMBER.

JUST GOT IT OUT OF THE BOX FEELS QUITE HEAVY BUT NO SCALES TO WEIGH IT ON!!!!!

BEST WISHES

JOHN FISHER

HI JOHN

MANNY DID'NT TELL ME THE ACTUAL WEIGHT BUT HE'LL PROB REMEMBER IF YOU PM HIM, BUT IT IS MUCH HEAVIER THAN A NORMAL 45

REGARDS.CARL

Social source share

Guest Juddy

There are also very, very slight differences in the typeface for the artist and titles. You need to look very closely, but the bootleg sports a 'newer', squarer style of typeface - check it against the one on Ebay at the moment, which is a definite original.

As the fella at The Attic Records told me today, when I asked him how to tell the difference, "If you paid $20, it's a boot!" biggrin.gif

Looking at the eBay one and mine, mine's typface is definitely less 'classic 60s' font - not by much, mind!! But just enough to tell the diff.

And I know from the feel that it's NOT as heavy as y'all are saying it oughtta be. But hell, it's not like I'm selling it on, so I'll just think of it as an original. ph34r.gif

Thanks, all!

To ease the pain, I picked up a few bits this afternoon: Sweethearts and Four Tees on Kent, and a mint-as-hell Lovettes, "Li'l Miss Soul" to replace my "spilled beer and cig ashes" copy.

juddy

Social source share

Heres mine,what i want to know is how they know what and why?or are they just making it up.

post-1986-1185319726_thumb.jpgVpost-1986-1185320349.jpg

Dont give a toss what anyone says,its real..........unless i see proof of coarse. :rolleyes:

Edited by ken
Social source share

This is one 45 when you really need to know the exact matrix info some very intricate detail.

Here's the details you need.

ORIGINAL first press is made from heavier NON-FLEXIBLE vinyl. Deadwax matrix is hand hand written but matrix has a slight ndentation appearance, giving the impression of it being stamped in (look closely). Reads @ 6 o'clock A-72869-B with VIRTUE directly opposite @ 12 o'clock.

2nd press Is made is lighter flexible vinyl, matrix is scratched with no indentation formed & reads A 7Z869 - B the 7 in the number resembles a reversed F

Value of the original is £300+ second press isrises in value to around £25 / £25

Hope you guys buy the book when it comes out..

Edited by john manship
Social source share

Guest Juddy

2nd press Is made is lighter flexible vinyl, matrix is scratched with no indentation formed & reads A 7Z869 - B the 7 in the number resembles a reversed F

Ahh - that reverse "F" seals it - mine's a second press... well, good to know f'sure.

Was the 'second press' still made under Sonny Hopson?

Tell ya what, still sounds like a million bucks - anybody heard Philly Dave Brown's CD of the Sonny Hopson show, where he talks over the breaks in "Look in the Want Ads"? F'in brilliant... no wonder nobody listens to radio anymore, when there's no one like him on the air!!

juddy

Social source share

This is one 45 when you really need to know the exact matrix info some very intricate detail.

Here's the details you need.

ORIGINAL first press is made from heavier NON-FLEXIBLE vinyl. Deadwax matrix is hand hand written but matrix has a slight ndentation appearance, giving the impression of it being stamped in (look closely). Reads @ 6 o'clock A-72869-B with VIRTUE directly opposite @ 12 o'clock.

Value of the original is £300+ second press isrises in value to around £25 / £25

Hope you guys buy the book when it comes out..

by "the book" you mean the new bootleg guide? When is it scheduled to come out? Thanks.

Social source share

• 14 years later...

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!