Ain't Nothing But A House Party.....soul At A Friends House

I know there are more soul nights, weekenders, Allnighters etc. than you can shake a stick at which is a good state of affairs and is very much keeping the scene going but i was wondering how many people out there on the scene get together with a few very close friends from time to time, some nice food a few cold ones (well a lot of cold ones actually....lol) a set of decks and some tunes and basically go for it to the wee small hours, ok it's not the same as perhaps going to a organised vene but in my experence over the past few years we have had some classic nights at various houses within our close group of friends.

Going to one of these house parties this coming Saturday with maybe 30 to 40 like minded friends, a few of us bring the tunes, we play what we like and it can get very interesting musically with plenty of quality tunes from all eras and styles, is this something that other people do or are we just getting old? lol

It's nice to get together with friends and play a few tunes, talk bollocks about records and the scene allnight and we often all end up singing very loudly to the likes of Harold Melvin And The Blue Notes - 'Get Out' at 3am, dancing in the kitchen and generally having a good laugh.

The DJ'ing side of this is although fun still done with the same passion as at a venue but there are no restrictions as it's a chance to really get into the records from a different perspective, certainly another nice way to enjoy the music with a few good friends.

Regards - Mark Bicknell.

Edited by Mark Bicknell
Social source share

• Replies 35
  • Views 2.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Posted Images

Guest Karen Heath

I know there are more soul nights, weekenders, Allnighters etc. than you can shake a stick at which is a good state of affairs and is very much keeping the scene going but i was wondering how many people out there on the scene get together with a few very close friends from time to time, some nice food a few cold ones (well a lot of cold ones actually....lol) a set of decks and some tunes and basically go for it to the wee small hours, ok it's not the same as perhaps going to a organised vene but in my experence over the past few years we have had some classic nights at various houses within our close group of friends.

Going to one of these house parties this coming Saturday with maybe 30 to 40 like minded friends, a few of us bring the tunes, we play what we like and it can get very interesting musically with plenty of quality tunes from all eras and styles, is this something that other people do or are we just getting old? lol

It's nice to get together with friends and play a few tunes, talk bollocks about records and the scene allnight and we often all end up singing very loudly to the likes of Harold Melvin And The Blue Notes - 'Get Out' at 3am, dancing in the kitchen and generally having a good laugh.

The DJ'ing side of this is although fun still done with the same passion as at a venue but there are no restrictions as it's a chance to really get into the records from a different perspective, certainly another nice way to enjoy the music with a few good friends.

Regards - Mark Bicknell.

I went to one a couple of weeks ago, and after setting out with a heavy heart, house parties not really being my thing-brings back memories of bad music and Woodpecker cider in plastic cups...it turned into an excellent night. It was more on the modern side and they had just one dj but the room was one big dancing and singing crowd.....it was ace!

Social source share

Guest Bearsy

I had a little get together at my house a couple of weeks ago after the pub totally unplanned as the kids were elsewhere and a few friends came round i opened the decks up and records came out and a couple of me mates spun some of me tunes for a couple of hours whilst having a few more drinks and it was a blast, i really enjoyed listening to my tunes being played by mates and watching them picking records out and asking whats this like, after a few they didnt bother asking and just played them.

im looking to have a bbq soon and make it an alldayer if the weather decides to behave, should happen more often as its a great way to enjoy the music :rolleyes:

Social source share

Used to have them quite often when I was a South Wales resident, and more often than not they were a great craic, remember one time the late Nige Shaw turning up with a set of decks but no speakers and set it up in my conservatory (including wooden dance floorish), whereby we blew every set of domestic speakers within both my house and nearby neighbours loaned items, as the volume was increased with each track :ohmy: However the finest feat I ever witnessed (as a brewery employee with as such an allowance entitlement) a certain nameless soul sourcer saw off individually in one sitting an entire 24 case of very strong Belgian beer .... So I called it a day and moved to Gloucestershire :thumbsup: No beer then ....no water now......what comes round stays round :rolleyes:

Social source share

Seems we are not alone then with this one, really looking forward to Saturday, even spent a couple of hours tonight putting a 200 box together so we take it as serious as getting ready for a regular gig. Good mixture of tuneage, even got the Fosters ready cooling in the fridge...lol

Regards - Mark Bicknell.

Social source share

Guest Dante

Closest thing was a couple of weeks ago playing Texas Hold'em betting with nuts and beans and listening to a X-Over playlist on my iPod :rolleyes:

Social source share

Seems we are not alone then with this one, really looking forward to Saturday, even spent a couple of hours tonight putting a 200 box together so we take it as serious as getting ready for a regular gig. Good mixture of tuneage, even got the Fosters ready cooling in the fridge...lol

Regards - Mark Bicknell.

Hey Mark

Staying in is the new going out!

Pete and Claire are the king and queen of the after event or house party and I ve had some brilliant nights there ( I ve got photos of the dancing but cant post them on a public forum :rolleyes: ) You know that your getting old when you would rather have some like minded people round the house than go out.

Forget the lure of the dancefloor its the lure of the leather sofa.

x

Social source share

Hey Mark

Staying in is the new going out!

Pete and Claire are the king and queen of the after event or house party and I ve had some brilliant nights there ( I ve got photos of the dancing but cant post them on a public forum :rolleyes: ) You know that your getting old when you would rather have some like minded people round the house than go out.

Forget the lure of the dancefloor its the lure of the leather sofa.

x

Come on Catriona photos please....lol

Regards - Mark Bicknell.

Social source share

We often have them at our house. All the Darlington lot come down & stay at our house, start Saturday afternoon & go into the early hours. It's usually carnage, having one next Saturday. The difference with house parties I find is that you actually get to speak to people at length, thats why we try to make it a regular occurence with our closest friends.

Social source share

Guest Una Scot-Oz

We have the decks set up permanently in our dining room and you always get an invite Ken, it's just never pre-planned.. :thumbsup:

We do it quite often here, but on Saturday when Sam Evans and Andy Baskitt were here in Sydney, we decided to organise a get together in the Community Centre I work in. It's an old style hall, quite small with a lovely wooden floor. We all bought some beer and wine, some brought records and we had a great time!

We managed to get 20 soulies together and it was a bit like a youth club/ party night. Completely spontaneous, our kitchen floor is too small and it's too cold to use the balcony at the moment, (winter here!)

Social source share

We do it quite often here, but on Saturday when Sam Evans and Andy Baskitt were here in Sydney, we decided to organise a get together in the Community Centre I work in. It's an old style hall, quite small with a lovely wooden floor. We all bought some beer and wine, some brought records and we had a great time!

We managed to get 20 soulies together and it was a bit like a youth club/ party night. Completely spontaneous, our kitchen floor is too small and it's too cold to use the balcony at the moment, (winter here!)

Una, can we all come over or should i say down to the next one??? trouble is you will have to cover the transport...lol and i'm sure the weather is perfect there even if it's winter has to be better than here at the moment.

Regards - Mark Bicknell.

Social source share

Guest Una Scot-Oz

Una, can we all come over or should i say down to the next one??? trouble is you will have to cover the transport...lol and i'm sure the weather is perfect there even if it's winter has to be better than here at the moment.

Regards - Mark Bicknell.

Actually Sam and Andy had to buy scarves! It's been reall cold here, we have alot of snow at the ski fields. There are some cheap flights now. So come on down!

Social source share

Hi Mark,in years gone by like to remember the Watney's Party 7 hidden at the back of the sofa,opening it with a hammer and large nail,while "a man like me" played in the background,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,bring back the Houseparty!!!!!!!

Social source share

Hi Mark,in years gone by like to remember the Watney's Party 7 hidden at the back of the sofa,opening it with a hammer and large nail,while "a man like me" played in the background,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,bring back the Houseparty!!!!!!!

Oh it's back Kev....big time..The Attic after parties take some beating so did your head in the morning i bet after the Anniversary night....lol.

Regards - Mark Bicknell.

Edited by Mark Bicknell
Social source share

Ken, the door is always open here mate....but we might just be out....lol only joking mate, remember that Christmas at our house about 12/14 years ago...lol

Regards - Mark Bicknell.

Only joking Mark :thumbsup:

Social source share

Guest Dante

Did you win?

Regards - Mark Bicknell.

Kinda,

I won about 30 little nuts (value = 1) and 6 or 7 big nuts (value = 5) :)

Then we played table football listening to The Smiths :unsure:

Social source share

Don't know about having wild parties, but if anyone's ever passing through Northumberland they're more than welcome to drop in for a cuppa and a listen to some of my few hundred cheapies :P

Gordy

Now there's a thought, a 'Northern Soul Tea Dance' could catch on...lol

Regards - Mark Bicknell.

Social source share

Ken, the door is always open here mate....but we might just be out....lol only joking mate, remember that Christmas at our house about 12/14 years ago...lol

Regards - Mark Bicknell.

Got some pictures,in that Chelsea top and some crazy hair piece and loads of others,flintstones ring a bell.

Social source share

Got some pictures,in that Chelsea top and some crazy hair piece and loads of others,flintstones ring a bell.

Yes mate i remember we had a fancy dress allnighter in Bury and we went as The Flinstones...happy days...lol

Regards - Mark Bicknell.

Ps, will post some of the playlist at this coming Saturdays house party afterwards if i can find my head that is, just to confirm although it's fun the music is still of paramount importance and believe me there is certainly going to be some records there.

Social source share

Now there's a thought, a 'Northern Soul Tea Dance' could catch on...lol

Regards - Mark Bicknell.

I'd say :P:lol::lol: ,....give it another 10-15 years,....then we will all be tripping the light fantastic to some slow tempo.. biggrin.gif ....Delxxxx

Social source share

Regards - Mark Bicknell.

Never been to one. Sounds like fun though.

Although only having about zero friends these days it would be a quiet do at our house (apart from the music obviously) :D

Phil

Social source share

Never been to one. Sounds like fun though.

Although only having about zero friends these days it would be a quiet do at our house (apart from the music obviously) :D

Phil

Hi Phil, it's a bit short notice mate but you would be more than welcome mate, deffo when we have another one you must come over, plenty of fun, a few beers and some top tuneage, see you soon.

Regards - Mark Bicknell.

Social source share

Hi Phil, it's a bit short notice mate but you would be more than welcome mate, deffo when we have another one you must come over, plenty of fun, a few beers and some top tuneage, see you soon.

Regards - Mark Bicknell.

Thanks for the offer mate. I may take you up on it one of these years :D

Phil

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!