Modern things

I've been threatening Mike to write a few words about the modern scene for a while now.So here goes.

A very hectic start to the new year saw Lowton hosting it's new years eve do,didn't make it myself,feedback was good.usual good atmosphere with quality sounds to match.

This was followed on the 2,3,4th at the Blackpool Hilton Weekender.I got a weekend pass and found a B+B across the road.A bit basic but functional!Had a great weekend met up with a few of the usual suspects that frequent the modern rooms around the country.Live acts were very good,Dexter Wansell,Jean Carne,but it was Billy Paul who stole the show.Ledisi and Nathan Heathman also appearing,I missed Nathans Sunday afternoon session but am informed he was very good.

Last weekend I was at Soul Underground,Walsall making my debut behind the decks.It's one of my fave venues this one,an intimate cellar room,with just the friendliest crowd.Music policy is pretty much at the cutting edge of the modern scene.lot of new release stuff getting plays.Residents Lin Taylor and Jamie Taylor usually start the night off,Jamie plays a soulful house set,he's technically superb.Also guesting last week were Solar Radio's Damien D and all the way from Dublin,Joe Moran.

SU is generally on the second Saturday of the month,although it's Feb 23rd for the next one.Some of the guests lined up to play in the near future,Mike Stephens,Colin Curtis,Gavin Paige and Ray Rose.

My playlist was as follows-

Midnight Star-15th Avenue

Darwin Hobbs-Unexplainable

Rance Allen-Stay With Me

John Stoddart-Falling For You

Glenn Jones-Keep On Doing

lanier + CO-I Don't know

George Benson-When love comes calling

Gems for Jem -Time For Love

C+C Music Factory-Searchin

Sean Oliver-Magic

Aretha- Holding on

Kalvin Bishop-Tell Me It's Allright

Isreal-Real

Big Buzz going on about Prestatyn Weekender.Phil Perry(ex Montclairs lead man) in the modern room.Looking forward to that one.

When's next Monkey Mike? Last one was rammed,the back room rocked all night.Well worth making the trip up for the next one,across the board policy.Something for everyone from rare 70's to new release soulful house.

Got to go now as I'm out to play tonight,Broughton Wings Club then onto Winsford niter.

Will post soon.

Let you know how they went

Regards

Pete

• Replies 1
  • Views 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Source Advert