Northern Soul Scene Is A Racist Hotbed

Guest in town Mikey

Guest in town Mikey

No one else has responded to bin's post on Soul Britannia, so i thought I'd try with a more 'red top' headline.

Jazzy b says he tried to visit Northern Soul clubs but being a black person wasnt allowed.

He went on to say you never see a black person in a Northern Soul club.

He was immediately followed by another bigot Enoch Powell, but for the program to air the views with absolutely no recourse smacks to me of supporting his views.

Anyone else see it?

Social source share

Guest in town Mikey

Surely this has all been done 2 months ago when the program was first screened and culminated with loads of people from SS complaining to the BBC

Oops missed that one.

Sorry, its unusual for me to be awake at 11.20 on a school nigt, so missed the show before, and must have missed the thread.

Back to baseball then.

Social source share

I'm sure Dave Rimmer commented on this on another thread and it was dismissed as total crap. As the BBC are so honest an truthfull I'm sure they would never broadcast something that was untrue. In fact as we speak they are arranging a phone in competition to win the Soul Brittania dvd collection, just ring 0898 RIP OFF. :rolleyes:

• Helpful 1
Social source share

No one else has responded to bin's post on Soul Britannia, so i thought I'd try with a more 'red top' headline.

Jazzy b says he tried to visit Northern Soul clubs but being a black person wasnt allowed.

He went on to say you never see a black person in a Northern Soul club.

He was immediately followed by another bigot Enoch Powell, but for the program to air the views with absolutely no recourse smacks to me of supporting his views.

Anyone else see it?

Didn't see the programme or the post to be honest. But I agree there is a racist element on the scene. We do have black attendees at venues for sure and without any problems. I couldn't see anyone turning away a black punter at all, well not in my experience. However if you get onto the subject of asians, well the views held by many people on the scene are best summed up as racist. IMO

Social source share

Didn't see the programme or the post to be honest. But I agree there is a racist element on the scene. We do have black attendees at venues for sure and without any problems. I couldn't see anyone turning away a black punter at all, well not in my experience. However if you get onto the subject of asians, well the views held by many people on the scene are best summed up as racist. IMO

=========

Agree, but you could be opening a can of worms :rolleyes: Asians appear to be the new Levine to a few on the northern scene :ohmy:

Social source share

Guest moggy

Have not seen many if any at all (Asian People) connected with the scene

But what on earth makes you think they would possibly be unwelcome at soul venue :rolleyes:

Social source share

Thats got nothing to do with the northern soul scene Ged, give us some examples of asians being racially abused on the soul scene if you're going to bring the subject up

Social source share

Guest dundeedavie

did trevor nelson not say a similar thing when he went to a northern club up north....said he felt very uncomfortable

Social source share

did trevor nelson not say a similar thing when he went to a northern club up north....said he felt very uncomfortable

He obviously went in with that attitide, you could tell.

How many times do we have to discuss this. About 15% of the lads on our coach were black, they had as much respect as anyone else, some of them had a lot more being "faces" - you wanted to be their mates

Social source share

Jazzy B doesn't know his arse from his elbow regarding the Northern Soul scene as I would wager that he never went within 200 miles of a proper NS club...as usual programmes like this use soundbites from people like him as it's easier than doing proper research.How cheap can you get showing old Enoch straight after him.... :thumbsup:

Social source share

Didn't he say he felt unwelcome or words to that effect

not , not allowed in

Social source share

Thats got nothing to do with the northern soul scene Ged, give us some examples of asians being racially abused on the soul scene if you're going to bring the subject up

Thats not what I said. Perhaps I misunderstood the question. There isn't anything inherently racist about the scene but the scene is made up of people and some of them hold views I consider to be racist. I don't think there was anything 'Institutionally Racist" with the Met either as an Institution cannot in itself be racist but can have racist people within it or have formal policies and procedures that are discriminatory. It was found that the Met didn't have formal policies and procedures that were discriminatory on the grounds of race but it had a culture of racism. I don't believe that made it institutionaly racist because change the people and the culture changes.

On that basis I am not saying that the scene itself is racist. I am saying that some of the people I have met and spoken too on the scene hold racist views.

It's hard to racially abuse people who are'nt there. There were no asians at football games in the 70's so I can't give any examples of asians actually being abused there either.

And for the record I didn't bring the subject up - Racism was the topic. Or are you saying that racism has different definitions depending the race of the person concerned?

Social source share

He obviously went in with that attitide, you could tell.

How many times do we have to discuss this. About 15% of the lads on our coach were black, they had as much respect as anyone else, some of them had a lot more being "faces" - you wanted to be their mates

i agree with that totally .

BAZ A :thumbsup:

Social source share

Didn't he say he felt unwelcome or words to that effect

not , not allowed in

Like I said I didn't see the programme and if thats what he said thats not racism. Lots of newbies feel unwelcome I know I did back in the 70's and we've debated on here before how new blood is treated until they've earned their stripes.

Social source share

Jazzy B doesn't know his arse from his elbow regarding the Northern Soul scene as I would wager that he never went within 200 miles of a proper NS club...as usual programmes like this use soundbites from people like him as it's easier than doing proper research.How cheap can you get showing old Enoch straight after him.... :thumbsup:

Yes same for Trevor nelson. Think maybe in the seventies there were'nt many black people or asians up in the north at that time maybe (only said the north as that was the main focus, noth of watford, before i get a stream of cockeney abuse)..but now i don't think it would be about race, i think if you was a young black or asian person or for that matter any colour or creed and you walked into prestatyn and saw men and women in the late forties and fifties dressing up like something that just came out of the "northern soul time tunnel" and trying to relive some memories that they had for a year or too would you wanna stay...I don't think so people..

laugh.gif:lol::lol:

• Thanks 1
Social source share

Guest dundeedavie

where the hell would he find a PROPER northern soul club in 2007 laugh.gif

Social source share

Thats not what I said. Perhaps I misunderstood the question. There isn't anything inherently racist about the scene but the scene is made up of people and some of them hold views I consider to be racist.

Well of course it is. People do not hold the same opinions as each other, and they shouldn't either, that's brainwashing when you haven't got your own opinion. Or have we all got to love everyone and hug a tree?

Social source share

was going to post this on the original thread, however other things have been going on, but this is part of an interview with 90's house dj Terry Farley on djhistory.com:

I went to Wigan once, about '76, I didn't even realise that people took drugs there. I was very into all that stuff and I didn't realise what was going on. I went with a Slough DJ called Alan Sullivan who was a soul DJ and also, apparently, the leader of the Shed! When I moved to Slough he had a gang called Sulli's boot boys and they said he was the leader of the Shed. He used to DJ and he was a pretty good northern soul dancer. There were northern parties going on at the Top Rank in Reading. We started going there and he said they were running mini buses up to Wigan. Gary Haisman went, couple of black guys from Slough who were treated like absolute royalty. People buying them drinks and shaking their hands. I'd been up north a few times by then, with Chelsea, and it had been disastrous. You'd get the train bricked, you'd get murdered up there, so I couldn't believe how friendly they were at Wigan. Nothing like it was in London.

Edited by Jerry Hipkiss
Social source share

What a pile of shite that was..I was there at the evet..Mr Nelson and Jazzy B just don't like to come up North and don't understand shit about the country they live in...Lets put this to bed :thumbsup:sleep3.gif ..

Racist or ignorant,there is a difference but some just put all in the same box...

Social source share

Well of course it is. People do not hold the same opinions as each other, and they shouldn't either, that's brainwashing when you haven't got your own opinion. Or have we all got to love everyone and hug a tree?

Obsolutely we should have our own opinions and I'm not suggesting we should all think alike. I just can't understand people who generalise about people based on their race rather than seeing individuals as just that individuals. I find it all the more odd when people on this scene, with its unherent ties to the race issues in the states in the 60's, think like that.

But then I can't understand people who generalise about music based upon which decate it was recorded in. :thumbsup:

Social source share

Being of anglo-Asian origin myself, I have NEVER witnessed or experienced ANY form of racism in 25 years of being active on the soul scene. In contrast, I have always regarded the Northern Soul scene as a melting pot of different races (Greek, Jewish, Asian, West Indian, African.....the list is endless).

If truth be told, I suffered more racism on the mod scene in the early '80s than at any other time in my life after leaving school.

Edited by Gene-R
  • Thanks 1
Social source share

Guest in town Mikey

As this is raking up an old arguement I think I should apologise for starting it up again, and close the thread. There is no point just rehashing and opening up wounds.

Sorry

Mike

Social source share