Jazzy B's Comments

Peter99

I know Mikey's closed his thread down probably rightly so. But I would like to make a point that I don't think has been raised - although I think it's quite relevant.

Jazzy B goes to a Northern do up north - he feels uncomfortable so therefore the scene is racist. What an easy and lazy conclusion to arrive at.

I would venture that anyone arriving at a Northern do for the first time - irrespective of the colour of your skin, would feel a little uncomfortable - I know I did all those years ago. Our scene is different - which is why many of us are into it. It is an underground scene - and our clubs were nothing like your main stream club - thank heavens! It does take a while to find your feet - I've said on here before that you had to "pass" your initiation. Which we've all done - ok a bit tongue in cheek. It had nothing to do with the colour of your skin - you might have been accused of being a div or a plastic!

Jazzy B has demonstrated with his lazy, ignorant accusation that he knows nothing about our scene - yet from his lofty position he would have us all down as racists. It really is pathetic.

Sorry - lhad to get that off my chest.

:thumbsup:

Social source share

• Replies 38
  • Views 3.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Posted Images

I know Mikey's closed his thread down probably rightly so. But I would like to make a point that I don't think has been raised - although I think it's quite relevant.

Jazzy B goes to a Northern do up north - he feels uncomfortable so therefore the scene is racist. What an easy and lazy conclusion to arrive at.

I would venture that anyone arriving at a Northern do for the first time - irrespective of the colour of your skin, would feel a little uncomfortable - I know I did all those years ago. Our scene is different - which is why many of us are into it. It is an underground scene - and our clubs were nothing like your main stream club - thank heavens! It does take a while to find your feet - I've said on here before that you had to "pass" your initiation. Which we've all done - ok a bit tongue in cheek. It had nothing to do with the colour of your skin - you might have been accused of being a div or a plastic!

Jazzy B has demonstrated with his lazy, ignorant accusation that he knows nothing about our scene - yet from his lofty position he would have us all down as racists. It really is pathetic.

Yeah but he is widely recognised as a toss pot, so who cares what he thinks Peter.

Social source share

Good points Pete, but he produces some quality tunes IMHO .... know what ya mean about "the feelings" though. Is this is connection with BBC4's re run of soul brittania?

Social source share

i don't know if this is significant, but 'Jazzy B Trevor Nelson' is an anagram of 'Snazzy bro, nerve jolt.'

also 'Brr... Jazz events loony.'

and 'Jar bevy, nozzle snort.'

I don't think there's anything sinister in the last one, though.

Edited by Dan
Social source share

Good points Pete, but he produces some quality tunes IMHO .... know what ya mean about "the feelings" though. Is this is connection with BBC4's re run of soul brittania?

Ay Up Mate

I think so - my thread was picking up on Mikey's now closed thread!

Social source share

i don't know if this is significant, but 'Jazzy B Trevor Nelson' is an anagram of 'Snazzy bro, nerve jolt.'

also 'Brr... Jazz events loony.'

and 'Jar bevy, nozzle snort.'

I don't think there's anything sinister in the last one, though.

:thumbsup: i was wondering what if jazzy b married mel c?

Social source share

Guest Karen Heath

Jazzy B at RISE, anti racism gig in North London last weekend....sounds like some of you would like to print it off and throw darts at it....takes all sorts!

I did chuckle when I saw him as I remembered the furore on here when Soul Brittania aired last time!

post-1400-1185375035_thumb.jpg

Social source share

:)

I watched it last night for the first time, although i knew what was coming, i was surprised at my own reaction " F*CK off ya c**t "

I would go as far as to say, the guy is full of sh*t. His opening line about the "parties" being full of white people [ interesting].... AND!. How would he know if he never went in?, does that mean if you have a hall full of white folks .... its the northern chapter of the KKK

Its not the first time he has been interviewed for television & claimed " it was racist man", i was talking on the phone to a friend of mine this morning [ black south London guy] who knows him from the old days & i think he put it quite well.

wanker.gif

Social source share

:)

Spot on mate, more's the pity though that he can get away with such slanderous remarks unchecked :unsure:

Social source share

Why are you all giving this idiot so much attention here? he's not important enough to even worry about infact consider this coverage so typical of television people and has - been pop stars, the media often feel that they have to pad things out with these actually quite sad people, they were not there, they did'nt go or contribute to the scene in any way shape or form, they fail to understand it nor will they ever as long as they have a hole in their arse, Hucknall never went, Rowland never went, Elms never went, Jazzy B deffo never went, Weller never went so why oh why do they interview them on a subject they have no knowledge of or experence of? i tell you why because they the TV people that is feel they need to make it 'street' and give it substance, Jazzy B made himself look stupid as often people like this in truth have no substence themselves so anything he said or says now or in the future is at best very confused and totally without any credability..'Soul To Soul' don't make me laugh nor insult us, you will never understand what the word Soul means sir and this has nothing to do with colour as it's something a little deeper than that.

Regards - Mark Bicknell.

Edited by Mark Bicknell
Social source share

Guest Glawsters Best

Why are you all giving this idiot so much attention here? he's not important enough to even worry about infact consider this coverage so typical of television people and has - been pop stars, the media often feel that they have to pad things out with these actually quite sad people, they were not there, they did'nt go or contribute to the scene in any way shape or form, they fail to understand it nor will they ever as long as they have a hole in their arse, Hucknall never went, Rowland never went, Elms never went, Jazzy B deffo never went, Weller never went so why oh why do they interview them on a subject they have no knowledge of or experence of? i tell you why because they the TV people that is feel they need to make it 'street' and give it substance, Jazzy B made himself look stupid as often people like this in truth have no substence themselves so anything he said or says now or in the future is at best very confused and totally without any credability..'Soul To Soul' don't make me laugh nor insult us, you will never understand what the word Soul means sir and this has nothing to do with colour as it's something a little deeper than that.

Regards - Mark Bicknell.

yeah your right mark i don't think he know how to spell wigan let alone go there as a 16 year old black lad going to wigan from down south i made lot of friends with northern white lads some of them i still see on the scene now adays so what he said is total crap

Social source share

Having going to both Northern dos and the Soul To Soul do's at the Africa centre...London during the latter part of the 80s.....I must say that i felt more welcome at Northern soul dos than i ever felt at gigs like that....although it was 90% Black...and by rights...Viki and myself should have felt comfortable.....we had to put up with questions such as "are there any black people in Northampton?"....or people looking surprised that we were able to keep up with the dress code..cos they thought we were po' countryfolk...even though we ourselves are Londoners :) .admittedly when I first watched it...i felt really affronted... especially at the very carefully edited showing of Wigan...attending at that time i know that there were quite a few of us Black soulies there so i dont really know where he went to get a bad vibe...Delxx

Social source share

Regards - Mark Bicknell

Spot on Mark :)

Lenny

Edited by BIGSOULMAN
Social source share

Regards - Mark Bicknell.

Hiya Mark, main point here tho' mate is the uninitiated speaking to the majority via the media whom in his own right is not a credible individual to do so, but in doing just that poisons the possible future of a superb "culture" that deserves longevity for all the right reasons-respect -wilxy :rolleyes:

Social source share

Guest andyrattigan

The presenter also stated on Soul Brittania "that not everyone was welcome at Northern Soul clubs" or words to that effect and than they gave Jazzy Bee his say (the tw@t). So the whole show viewed the Northern Scene as rascist. Then they showed Eddie Holman talking about how welcome he was made feel at Northern Clubs. This contradicts both Jazzy Bee and the presenter. Seems like the show couldnt make up there mind. Anyway how could a scene built on black music be rascist against black people? Idiots at the BBC.

Social source share

He reminds me of a reggae producer called Mad Professor who's always banging on about how reggae nights in London are full of white middle class 40 somethings.

Well I happen to go to a lot of reggae events around the country and they're more often than not split 50/50 between black and white people.

He probably went to one skinhead do and based his "facts" on that. He should try going to a do such as "Mash It Up" in Islington where it's all about the music being played and not image or where people come from.

As for Northern, well I think it's just a case of when things took off in the early 70s the places integral to the scene such as Wigan. Blackpool, Stoke, et al, didn't have much of an Afro-Caribbean community. Also the people from the Afro-Caribbean communites often preferred to have parties around each others' houses. known as "blues dances" and thus never went to venues.

Gordy

Social source share

He reminds me of a reggae producer called Mad Professor who's always banging on about how reggae nights in London are full of white middle class 40 somethings.

Well I happen to go to a lot of reggae events around the country and they're more often than not split 50/50 between black and white people.

He probably went to one skinhead do and based his "facts" on that. He should try going to a do such as "Mash It Up" in Islington where it's all about the music being played and not image or where people come from.

As for Northern, well I think it's just a case of when things took off in the early 70s the places integral to the scene such as Wigan. Blackpool, Stoke, et al, didn't have much of an Afro-Caribbean community. Also the people from the Afro-Caribbean communites often preferred to have parties around each others' houses. known as "blues dances" and thus never went to venues.

Gordy

Also fair to say that in the 70's soul was not the most popular form of music amongst the A-C community. Most kids I knew were into their Reggae and Dub rather than soul.

Social source share

Also fair to say that in the 70's soul was not the most popular form of music amongst the A-C community. Most kids I knew were into their Reggae and Dub rather than soul.

certainly they favoured the Reggae sound , but in amongst the reggae 45's ... plenty of Curtom records and funky soul sounds .

Social source share

Gordy

I attended a few blues partys in the 8o`s & on more than once i was met with "white boy this & white boy that comments", it was only the company i went with that saved me at one blues.

I did`t come away & start slating black people or the blues parties i`d been to, in fact the vast majority of folks there were fine with me & i got invited to further blues nights.

As has been said before

ill informed & lazy thinking

Social source share

Just as bad for his comments I reckon.. "It had better be good tonight, or northern soul can die forever".

Wish you would Trev. :P

Dear old Trevor Nelson - another self appointed "know it all". Thing is people have always slagged off northern, I remember as a kid reading Tony Cummings articles in Black Music and being shocked (though with heinsight some / much of it seems fairly spot on :thumbsup: )

Anyway the vast majority of us aren't racist so don't get wound up by these "talking heads"; they simply can't understand our thing, so leave them to their abstract maschinations however offensive their implications may be.

The real question is the dumbing down of the BBC to the point where ill researched programmes always go to the same "bores" who talk loud and say......well nothing much really (to bastardise the James Brown thing)......but we've done the BBC to death on the former thread.

Social source share

I think I might as well close this thread now - obviously Jizzy "C" and Nelson are both twats.

Erm - not sure I know how to close a thread - Mods?

:P

Bottom left Pete, theres a drop down thingy & it gives you the option to close the thread :thumbsup:

Social source share