Wearing Soul Badges

In 1975 I got my first and last 'Northern Soul - Keep the faith' woven soul patch and quickly had it sewn onto my new Fred Perry polo shirt. At school, I thought I was some boy, but alas, upon going to the local Soul Night, where there was 'bigger boys' it did not go down well, and was the butt of a few jokes. Lesson Learned.

The trend for advertising your love of this scene at that point must have reversed 180 degrees and it was no longer cool to do that although obviously, the clothes were still a give away.

Fast forward 32 years, and has it now turned again, as I see more and more 'labelling' on clothes worn at soul nights.

Should Nothern Soul be 'worn with pride' or quickly buried as before???

Social source share

• Replies 108
  • Views 6.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Guest the dukester

There was something about it on here recently, I think the general consencus was it was a bit azzy. Myself, I love me patches, wouldn't part with 'em for the world.

My faves were the SOUL BROTHER and SOUL SISTER patches, will post a pic if I can find em.

Dukesy

Social source share

Guest Trevski

Naff. Go to a soul nite/niter, everybody there knows you like soul, or why else would you be there? So why bother?

As for people in the street, work, etc, "Look at me! I like soul! See, I wear a badge that says so!" who cares?

Edited by Trevski
Social source share

Guest Bearsy

Ive got some Nicorette patches

Does that count :)

only if you put one over your eye :unsure:

Me personally i think they look silly on grown ups, i had some patches sewn over the holes in the knees of me jeans when i was a kid and that was superduper embarrasing,

Social source share

Naff. Go to a soul nite/niter, everybody there knows you like soul, or why else would you be there? So why bother?

As for people in the street, work, etc, "Look at me! I like soul! See, I wear a badge that says so!" who cares?

word

pokemon - gotta collect em all!

I have a fair few but I keep em in a biscuit tin ('family favourites' in case you're wondering...)

my favourite one is 'lowestoft soul'

it does exactly what it says on the ('family favourites') tin

:)

Social source share

Guest moggy

only if you put one over your eye :)

Me personally i think they look silly on grown ups, i had some patches sewn over the holes in the knees of me jeans when i was a kid and that was superduper embarrasing,

Bearsy

how things change

worn threadbare jeans rips on the knees

Its called fasion now mate :unsure:

Bet you wished you wouldnt have put them patches on em now :ohmy:

Social source share

Guest Mart B

Naff.

Why on earth does anyone in this day and age need to wear a northern soul badge,it went out in the 7ts.Out and about in the 8ts it was very rare to see anyone wearing a soul badge it was frowned upon.People who wear them now are on a nostalgia trip along with their BAGS and other cheap memrobilia imo!leave your badges in your draw along with your 7TS soul club memberships!. If this thread annoys anyone its meant to :) .

Social source share

Guest Bearsy

Bearsy

how things change

worn threadbare jeans rips on the knees

Its called fasion now mate :)

Bet you wished you wouldnt have put them patches on em now :P

they would look like cycling shorts now :unsure:

And they werent soul patches they were old jean pockets off of me dads work jeans and the worst bit was everyne bloody knew it too :ohmy::lol:

Social source share

Guest moggy

Nowt wrong with keeping hold of the old soul patches

Wearing them now though, mmm not my cup of tea

but they were a part of the scene and I bet theres not many who didnt own a few at one time in there past & were proud to have worn them either on the clothes or bags

especially the anniversary one from different venues

Suppose there like an old very played out oldie

You respect the part it played

But as you got older

You grew to loath them :)

Social source share

Naff. Go to a soul nite/niter, everybody there knows you like soul, or why else would you be there? So why bother?

As for people in the street, work, etc, "Look at me! I like soul! See, I wear a badge that says so!" who cares?

===========

Everybody knows you like England if you go to Wembley, but people still wear the replica shirts as most do when supporting their local team and I don't personally see anything wrong in that, so it would be hypocritical of me to think people wearing soul badges are any different.

Some people give money to charity and wear badges/t-shirts/caps proclaiming their support, is their a difference??

Winnie:-)

Social source share

Guest moggy

they would look like cycling shorts now :)

And they werent soul patches they were old jean pockets off of me dads work jeans and the worst bit was everyne bloody knew it too :unsure::ohmy:

Hey Bearsy

we need to start a thread, comical of course, on having crap clothes as a kid, or in my case, f****n hand me downs

The one about my brothers old shoes will f****n have you stitches mate :lol:

Social source share

Guest Trevski

===========

Everybody knows you like England if you go to Wembley, but people still wear the replica shirts as most do when supporting their local team and I don't personally see anything wrong in that, so it would be hypocritical of me to think people wearing soul badges are any different.

Some people give money to charity and wear badges/t-shirts/caps proclaiming their support, is their a difference??

Yeah, lots of difference. Football, to Identify you from the opposition. As for the charity badge thing, it'sa case of "Look at me, arn't I sooo worthy, I gave a £1 or whatever" BIG DEAL. Lots of people give, without having to proclaim it to all and sundry. (The

exception to this rule is the Poppy, for obvious reasons) Anyone who has to wear a badge proclaiming support of something is sadly lacking in self identity, IMHO. That's why we did it when we were YOUNG, as we all like to feel like we belong, at that age. But at 40+? Get a life!

Edited by Trevski
Social source share

Guest moggy

===========

Yes

On the charity ones its totaly different

You are showing you support a charity and have made a donation towards it, simple one that

On shirts at matches, only buy em for the kids, but to answer the point, those that wear club shirts do so not only to show there colours but also to help finance the club, albeit in a small way, shirts at football matches is a part of the modern game, patches at soul venues is a thing of the past

I mean when and where was the last venue you attended that gave out a patch, its a free CD now or something along them lines its not a patch cos, well, they are a bit naff these days

:)

Social source share

Yeah, lots of difference. Football, to Identify you from the opposition. As for the charity badge thing, it'sa case of "Look at me, arn't I sooo worthy, I gave a £1 or whatever" BIG DEAL. Lots of people give, without having to proclaim it to all and sundry. (The

exception to this rule is the Poppy, for obvious reasons) Anyone who has to wear a badge proclaiming support of something is sadly lacking in self identity, IMHO. That's why we did it when we were YOUNG, as we all like to feel like we belong, at that age. But at 40+? Get a life!

Now, now Trev....lol 'Keep The Faith' old chum.

Regards - Mark Bicknell.

Social source share

Personally I don't like them, just not my thing and I'm too young to have gone anywhere in the 70s/80s when they were given out but I couldn't care less if some people like to wear them. Personal choice, wear what you want, look how you want.....I couldn't care as I'm just interested in the music :)

Adam.

Social source share

===========

My sentiments exactly Win....Why people feel the need to make the Northern soul scene superior than most walks of life is beyond me...in everyday society....people who have very strong interest in activities...music...collecting etc....will always show their allegience in certain ways...and yes to most of the ultra mature out there...this may seem a tad strange....but to me...why should one hide what one really enjoys???....who the hell are ya trying to impress?...if people want to show their allegience in a mor obivious way...why are others so intent in ridiculing?? Live And Let Live...is my motto....Delxx

Social source share

Yeah, lots of difference. Football, to Identify you from the opposition. As for the charity badge thing, it'sa case of "Look at me, arn't I sooo worthy, I gave a £1 or whatever" BIG DEAL. Lots of people give, without having to proclaim it to all and sundry. (The

exception to this rule is the Poppy, for obvious reasons) Anyone who has to wear a badge proclaiming support of something is sadly lacking in self identity, IMHO. That's why we did it when we were YOUNG, as we all like to feel like we belong, at that age. But at 40+? Get a life!

===============

At wembley?? Most home games at any ground the opposition probably numbers less than 10%

I buy tottenham shirts to show allegiance to my club, really can't see the difference with people wearing badges. I've also worn shirts that proclaim support for MS, it's not because I want to say "Look I'm worthy", its because I believe it to be a worthwhile cause that should be high-lighted. Just a form of advertising I suppose, but personally I don't see anything wrong in it.

Moggy it doesn't enter my head I'm financing the club when I buy a shirt, I do it cos they're my team, and I'm proud of them, however good or bad they're doing.

Social source share

===============

At wembley?? Most home games at any ground the opposition probably numbers less than 10%

I buy tottenham shirts to show allegiance to my club, really can't see the difference with people wearing badges. I've also worn shirts that proclaim support for MS, it's not because I want to say "Look I'm worthy", its because I believe it to be a worthwhile cause that should be high-lighted. Just a form of advertising I suppose, but personally I don't see anything wrong in it.

Moggy it doesn't enter my head I'm financing the club when I buy a shirt, I do it cos they're my team, and I'm proud of them, however good or bad they're doing. Winnie:-)

Same with me and the Gooners darling...Delxx

Social source share

Guest Polyvelts

Wear what you like - it dont bother me.

As a badge of pride perhaps soul patches should be updated to suit 2007. How about 'I spend thousands on average sounds', 'Anniversary Patch of hip replacement', 'Ok Okay Okeh ! I'm Bald !'

Any others ?

Wear with pride.

Social source share

Guest Ranger

Went to a venue last weekend and saw a guy wearing a bowling shirt with half a dozen patches sewn on the front.

I'm not knocking anyone's right to wear what they want but it just made him look like a darts player.

Kev

Social source share

Guest bill storey

Hey you know what, I have a couple of bought badges on a t shirt that I keep for when I get a bit sweaty on the dance floor, I know a lot of people disagree with wearing patches from a venue that you never visited but so what, I never went to Wigan but I still wear a patch, this doesn't take it away from folks that were there it should make them more proud to have been part of a club that is now a major legend.

As for looking stupid, my young un goes out with some seriously knackered jeans halfway off his arse a, sweatshirt that is too big and a tee shirt over the top, pretty much the same as his mates, now they look proper pratts never mind soul fans wearing the odd patch.

Social source share

Guest moggy

===============

Moggy it doesn't enter my head I'm financing the club when I buy a shirt, I do it cos they're my team, and I'm proud of them, however good or bad they're doing.

Winnie

I understand why you buy a shirt, but as Spurs fan, ok you may not think of that point regarding finance

But a lot of lower league team (Bearsys lot) supporters see it as a way of putting some coffers in the club

And as I stated, shirt wearing is fairly new to supporters (last 15+ years maybe a bit more) and going to watch top level football has deffinatley changed

As has the scene, patches are out Im afraid,

Whatever next flat caps & those bloody rattles making a return :unsure: They dont like it up em capt :rolleyes:

Social source share

Guest andrew bin

perhaps some one on here should write a Soul rule book so all the uneducated know exactly what to wear/listen to etc etc,

i have a small collection of patches, i also have loads of pairs of bags, i like oldies, i even have one or two bowling shirts somewhere, oops nearly forgot, i also have soul stickers on the back of my van, i guess that must make me the biggest cnut in the whole world :rolleyes:

Edited by andrew bin
Social source share

perhaps some one on here should write a Soul rule book so all the uneducated know exactly what to wear/listen to etc etc,

i have a small collection of patches, i also have loads of pairs of bags, i like oldies, i even have one or two bowling shirts somewhere, oops nearly forgot, i also have soul stickers on the back of my van, i guess that must make me the biggest cnut in the whole world :unsure:

At the end of the day mate why all the fuss about it all, each to his own, and live and let live, FFS we are here once only, without any dress rehearsals, we should all do what we wanna without the politics, see you soon mate :rolleyes: wilxy

Social source share

Winnie

I understand why you buy a shirt, but as Spurs fan, ok you may not think of that point regarding finance

But a lot of lower league team (Bearsys lot) supporters see it as a way of putting some coffers in the club

And as I stated, shirt wearing is fairly new to supporters (last 15+ years maybe a bit more) and going to watch top level football has deffinatley changed

Whatever next flat caps & those bloody rattles making a return :rolleyes: They dont like it up em capt :unsure:

===========

Actually Moggy I thought maybe you were referring to smaller clubs, as I was writing the reply, and that is meant with no intention of insult, to any of the lower league clubs, so understand that point and agree with you. :rolleyes:

Would still think the vast majority of people who buy the shirts of premiership clubs do so to show allegiance, and can't see much difference to sporting soul badges.

Social source share

Guest gordon russell

totally naff....they are usually worn by people who need to tell the world and others on the soul scene that they belong to an exclusive gang. they tend to go with the more comercial side of things along with stupid stickers in ya car window, great big baggy trousers and carrying an over night bag even though you live just around the corner. saw two people at cleggy dressed just like this and l laughed like a bloody drain.....that whole side of the scene makes me embarresed ...these people have become characutures however you don,t get it to much at the more serious soul do,s. thats why l feel there are two scenes THE SOUL SCENE for soul lovers and the NORTHERN SCENE for the rest

Social source share

Winnie

Whatever next flat caps & those bloody rattles making a return :yes: They dont like it up em capt :lol:

===========

Actually Moggy I thought maybe you were referring to smaller clubs, as I was writing the reply, and that is meant with no intention of insult, to any of the lower league clubs, so understand that point and agree with you. thumbsup.gif

Would still think the vast majority of people who buy the shirts of premiership clubs do so to show allegiance, and can't see much difference to sporting soul badges.

Me neither Win...but then...there seem to be too many people with too much time on their hands ...to be worrying about things like this....Delxx

Social source share

===========

Winnie

Whatever next flat caps & those bloody rattles making a return :yes: They dont like it up em capt :yes:

===========

Actually Moggy I thought maybe you were referring to smaller clubs, as I was writing the reply, and that is meant with no intention of insult, to any of the lower league clubs, so understand that point and agree with you. thumbsup.gif

Sorry to sound argumentative Winnie, but If I were to find myself at Wembley nowadays I'd have to be pissed or lost, unless of course the unthinkable were to happen, which I will leave open to the imagination. Nos Da :lol:

Social source share

totally naff....they are usually worn by people who need to tell the world and others on the soul scene that they belong to an exclusive gang. they tend to go with the more comercial side of things along with stupid stickers in ya car window, great big baggy trousers and carrying an over night bag even though you live just around the corner. saw two people at cleggy dressed just like this and l laughed like a bloody drain.....that whole side of the scene makes me embarresed ...these people have become characutures however you don,t get it to much at the more serious soul do,s. thats why l feel there are two scenes THE SOUL SCENE for soul lovers and the NORTHERN SCENE for the rest

Correct me if i am wrong here...are you yourself not guilty of doing the same thing...I mean you may not wear the visual signs of belonging to an exclusive club...but by saying that you are a serious soulster.. and looking down your nose at those who dont fit your idea of being fully committed....are you not gulity of being elitist yourself...just by what criteria do you decide who is worthy of being a serious soulie....why would you still be embarrased in your middle age...surely this must be the bench mark to say to others..What the fcuk ever...live and let live..my mantra......Delxxx

Social source share

Guest dundeedavie

everyone attaches symbolism to what they like,believe etc ...football shirts ...scarfs ... the accessories of a city gent ...the black garb of the goth ..the crucifix of the christian . these are all symbols of various "clubs" why should oldies fans (seems to be the case) be any different

Social source share

Guest WPaulVanDyk

i don't care and never would of people who think because i have patches on my jacket. I just like them and enjoy wearing a jacket with them on. It's a short life and we want to live it without everything having to be PC. Some people may even comment about some of the patches. the rarer the better

Social source share

Guest andrew bin

serious soul do,s.

laugh.gif:lol: whats a serious soul do,

my preference is for non serious rare soul nights/allnighters :yes:

Edited by andrew bin
Social source share

=============

Lets hope the promoters follow your lead Terry and if they're 'soul lovers' as opposed to 'the rest' advertise their event as such. Should bring the punters flooding in....... wink.gif

I was thinking about going to Rushden, now would that be SOUL SCENE, or NORTHERN SCENE? :lol:

Social source share

Guest Bogue

Correct me if i am wrong here...are you yourself not guilty of doing the same thing...I mean you may not wear the visual signs of belonging to an exclusive club...but by saying that you are a serious soulster.. and looking down your nose at those who dont fit your idea of being fully committed....are you not gulity of being elitist yourself...just by what criteria do you decide who is worthy of being a serious soulie....why would you still be embarrased in your middle age...surely this must be the bench mark to say to others..What the fcuk ever...live and let live..my mantra......Delxxx

yes.gif I was thinking the same Del.

Wouldn't be my choice to wear badges & specific soulie wear, but certainly wouldn't take the P or put down people who do !

In fact i think i would much rather be in the company of people enjoying the music & having a good time whatever they have got on, than be with a bunch of moaners who think the whole point of it all is just to feel superior than any other type of music lover.

Social source share

Guest kev such

In 1975 I got my first and last 'Northern Soul - Keep the faith' woven soul patch and quickly had it sewn onto my new Fred Perry polo shirt. At school, I thought I was some boy, but alas, upon going to the local Soul Night, where there was 'bigger boys' it did not go down well, and was the butt of a few jokes. Lesson Learned.

The trend for advertising your love of this scene at that point must have reversed 180 degrees and it was no longer cool to do that although obviously, the clothes were still a give away.

Fast forward 32 years, and has it now turned again, as I see more and more 'labelling' on clothes worn at soul nights.

Should Nothern Soul be 'worn with pride' or quickly buried as before???

IMHO in think its doesn't matter either way. Its the tunes for me.

I put on a previous post once that the greatest thing regarding the scene is the fact that the scene is "Individualistic in an umbillical way". I mean we can wear what we want, theres no set uniform and dance how we want, but we all agree on the tunes.

I personally wont be getting my old scooter jacket out of the loft and wearing it again. Did look at it a few weeks ago and washed it. Was good to look at all the old 80's rally patches, great times.

But i dont see nothing wrong with wearing patches, baggies or whatever takes our fancy. I just want to dance to the tunes and am not looking around the room to see what people are wearing, i leave that to my Mrs, who would be looking around the room hoping that she hasn't matched her clothing with anyone.

Regards

Kev.

Edited by kev such
Social source share

Guest lagerlout

doe,s anyone remember the bloke who had beer towels made into a pair of kegs..saw him a few times out and about..casino,cleggy,halifax,bradford,carousel,..years ago mind ya, but thought must ave taken yonks to sew that lot together.

Social source share

Guest in town Mikey

"Imagine I knew how to post a picture of a Mexican Bandit here."

Badges

We dont need no stinkin bagdes

Edited by in town Mikey
Social source share

although I never subscribed to the beer towell fad, I wore my two wigan badges with pride. they were like trophies to me, brought back from my first visit to the casino in february 1975.

I later transferred them to my bag, an army surplus thing bought from millets, if I remember well.

would I wear them in 2007? the answer is a rotund no, as they say in spain.

it's more for esthetical reasons than anything else. I bought some records recently & they came with some lapel badges, palmer, tamla & gordy. I would have worn those on my levi jacket years back, but today I can't bring myself to wear them on my modern day equivalent. I would feel a bit mutton dressed as lamb. However, I certainly wouldn't knock anyone for wanting to belong to a historical re-enactment society.

in fact I've always fancied myself as a puritan preacher at marston moor, but that's another story.

Edited by macca
Social source share

Guest martinsbox

doe,s anyone remember the bloke who had beer towels made into a pair of kegs..saw him a few times out and about..casino,cleggy,halifax,bradford,carousel,..years ago mind ya, but thought must ave taken yonks to sew that lot together.

Looked just like a pair of Spencers . . . except beer towels!! Patchwork Spencers (i think) with all those pockets!! Now they were something else.

Social source share

Soul fashions, Mod fashions, Punk fashions, Goth, Rockabilly etc and yes even football shirts, great when you were young and wanted the world to see a certain statement. But as a grown up it just looks tragic.

oh yeah IMHO

Mark

=============

I don't particularly agree with what you're saying Mark, but do agree that they're all badges of a sort. Now, what about scooters, aren't they also making a statement? I'll just reiterate I personally have no problem with any of the above, just trying to find out why some things are acceptable, whilst others are considered 'naff'. If you asked an outsider what they thought of as 'naff', probably all the things you mention would be on their list, plus they might also place celebrating 40 year old music into the pot whistling.gif

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!