Think It's The Speed Limit?

Guest Officer Dibble

Guest Officer Dibble

Hi fellow soul lovers

been out the country for a while and on my return met up with afew friends and got listening told tapes, one record stood out ,i think the tape was recorded at the 100club in the early 90's ,as the d.j seemed to be rob marriot .the record i think was by speedlimit, but i cant be sure as the recording wasnt to clear .Anyone got any info as to how rare what label etc. great soulful sound that should be played ,

roy

Social source share

• Replies 16
  • Views 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Guest Officer Dibble

Speedlimit - Can't Say No - Cutlass studio acetate?

(male group vocal)

hi simon you wouldnt have a label scan at all would you ?

do you know if rob stil as this at all ?

Social source share

Guest Officer Dibble

No sorry I don't have a scan.

I think a lot of Rob's acetate went to Chadwick, and then to Rob Thomas

rob used to play some cracking tunes around this time, quite afew have turned up now , but there,s still the odd one like this that deserves turntable action , didn't he also have the female vocal too always be in style ?

Social source share

Patti Austin "you'll always be in style" was indeed a Rob spin.

Am I right in saying it was off a 10 inch acetate?......if so, I seem to remember him selling it to Shifty down the 100 Club, saw him with it at Mcdonalds later that morning, paid a tidy sum I believe.....if memory serves me correctly of course.......and knowing my memory of late.... :thumbsup:

Edited by DelTee
Social source share

I remember this clear as the light of day, as I loved it so much when I first heard it.

It's "My Baby Can't Say No" by The Speed Limits. It was played off a 7" acetate, with a badly-typed white label. From what I can remember, there was no label identification. It was one of these records that seemed to go on forever, with an attempted fade-out about 30 seconds towards the end, but they don't give in. The end is abrupt, with a solitary "Can't say no.." from one of the group members......totally stunning!

First played around summer 1988.

Social source share

Am I right in saying it was off a 10 inch acetate?......if so, I seem to remember him selling it to Shifty down the 100 Club, saw him with it at Mcdonalds later that morning, paid a tidy sum I believe.....if memory serves me correctly of course.......and knowing my memory of late.... :thumbsup:

yeah April And Blackwood acetate if I remember rightly. There's a scan I think in on of Pete Lawsons mags. Sidney Barnes a few years ago confirmed it wsas the Ad-Libs.

Social source share

forgot to add....first played by Jimmy Wensiora, again if I remember rightly.

Yes - I know that Rob Marriott bought quite a large chunk of Jim's collection around that time, including one of very few copies of Gewn Owens that don't jump. This must have been part of that buy-up.

Social source share

Yes - I know that Rob Marriott bought quite a large chunk of Jim's collection around that time, including one of very few copies of Gewn Owens that don't jump. This must have been part of that buy-up.

Wasn't April & Blackwood, it was an A & R acetate. Keb and Rob had pretty much most of Jimmy's big stuff between them.

Social source share

Wasn't April & Blackwood, it was an A & R acetate. Keb and Rob had pretty much most of Jimmy's big stuff between them.

That's right - and Keb had the only known (at the time) copy of J D Bryant on Shrine from Jim, which I think is now in the hands of Mr Massey!

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!