soul auctionsTap here for 24hr ebay Lists  Sign in to Switch Ebay Lists OFF 
  • Replies 38
  • Views 4.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Posted Images

A few mates thought i was crazy buying this for seventy quid back in 1990/91, i knew then and i still know now that this is without question a prime example of a rare record, i think when Melvin Davis appeared at Prestatyn about three years ago that maybe three or four people asked him to sign their copy which says it all really.

This should already be sold IMO but if not snap it up now it's just about as good as it gets. (And yes i've still got mine...lol)

Regards - Mark Bicknell.

post-1475-1185478486_thumb.jpg

Edited by Mark Bicknell
Social source share

A few mates thought i was crazy buying this for seventy quid back in 1990/91, i knew then and i still know now that this is without question a prime example of a rare record, i think when Melvin Davis appeared at Prestatyn about three years ago that maybe three or four people asked him to sign their copy which says it all really.

This should already be sold IMO but if not snap it up now it's just about as good as it gets. (And yes i've still got mine...lol)

Regards - Mark Bicknell.

I bought mine off Pep for £20 in 1979 and sold it back to him for £25 about 3 months later! I've not had a copy or seen a copy since. This is a truly rare record but not only that - it's bloody fantastic. It didn't sell though, I think it's because it 'books' at 800 quid. Just have to ask the question - is it likely to get any easier to find and is it ever going to come down in price.

Social source share

I bought mine off Pep for £20 in 1979 and sold it back to him for £25 about 3 months later! I've not had a copy or seen a copy since. This is a truly rare record but not only that - it's bloody fantastic. It didn't sell though, I think it's because it 'books' at 800 quid. Just have to ask the question - is it likely to get any easier to find and is it ever going to come down in price.

That suprises me Pete, i thought it would have flown out, as you say a very hard to find record indeed, makes you think when you see far lesser records in terms of rarity selling for inflated prices almost on a daily basis, offer something that is rare and a quality tune and you struggler, still don't give it away no need to mate.

Regards - Mark Bicknell.

Social source share

The B side aint bad hard driving Detroit r &bMelvin_Davis_This_aint_the_way.mp3post-2616-1185487214_thumb.jpg

Pete I reckon this is your old copy I bought it of Steve Porter for £150 in 1990/1/2

writing your name on the label tut tut

So i got a deal then Ted at £70.00? lol,agree flip is well worth a mention, two fine sides and rare too.

Regards - Mark Bicknell.

Social source share

The B side aint bad hard driving Detroit r &bMelvin_Davis_This_aint_the_way.mp3post-2616-1185487214_thumb.jpg

Pete I reckon this is your old copy I bought it of Steve Porter for £150 in 1990/1/2

writing your name on the label tut tut

Oh my God! Whats the chances? That is my writing...unbelievable...and proves I wasn't bullshitting about having it! I'm speechless..

Social source share

Oh my God! Whats the chances? That is my writing...unbelievable...and proves I wasn't bullshitting about having it! I'm speechless..

Brilliant record. Got a copy late seventies from John Grant, £8. One of the few records I've ever really regretted selling.

The fade out is the best ever imo.

"Here I sit in my lonely room, four walls enclose me like a tomb baby, I'm lonely."

Detroit perfection. Pity he won't take offers :thumbsup:

Social source share

Brilliant record. Got a copy late seventies from John Grant, £8. One of the few records I've ever really regretted selling.

The fade out is the best ever imo.

"Here I sit in my lonely room, four walls enclose me like a tomb baby, I'm lonely."

Detroit perfection. Pity he won't take offers :thumbsup:

Does it for me everytime i play it, needs playing again me thinks...lol, i reckon it's a fair price Steve and no i'm not on commission here lol, when you consider how rarly this comes up for sale speaks volumes as there can't be many in circulation, seems Ted has Pete's old copy from way back, i bet it's not been on Ebay too often if at all, some of the bigger items i've let go over the years and there have been a few i have never considered this one for sale, such a good record.

Regards - Mark Bicknell.

Social source share

This is one record that you will probably NEVER see for sale again! First one I've seen for sale since Mark got his copy - and yes Mark, I do remember your spot when you first played it!

Gene, you have a very good memory mate, i remember the night i picked the record up with several others at The 100 Club, Rob Marriot brought them down for me but i can't remember playing it that night or even if i was DJ'ing too excited.....lol I'm pretty sure JM will be able to put the rarity of this one into perspective...over to you John?

Regards - Mark Bicknell.

Social source share

Gene, you have a very good memory mate, i remember the night i picked the record up with several others at The 100 Club, Rob Marriot brought them down for me but i can't remember playing it that night or even if i was DJ'ing too excited.....lol I'm pretty sure JM will be able to put the rarity of this one into perspective...over to you John?

Regards - Mark Bicknell.

Melvin D. on Wheelsville is Dog-rare! Especially in clean condition. We sold a vg+ copy for £600 about 2 years back. We have a MINT minus copy lined up for auction, but it will clash with other titles up there at the mo'. So we're holding it back, but like you say it is seldom seen for sale.

All the major Cleethorpes and Wigan DJs had a copy from Johnson Anderson circa 1976-ish. I've personally only ever found ONE whilst on a record trip...consider it Very RARE.

Edited by john manship
Social source share

Melvin D. on Wheelsville is Dog-rare! Especially in clean condition. We sold a vg+ copy for £600 about 2 years back. We have a MINT minus copy lined up for auction, but it will clash with other titles up there at the mo'. So we're holding it back, but like you say it is seldom seen for sale.

All the major Cleethorpes and Wigan DJs had a copy from Johnson Anderson circa 1976-ish. I've personally only ever found ONE whilst on a record trip...consider it Very RARE.

So is £1200.00 at set sale reasonable then John? opinion here would suggest that Pete's asking price is a fair one.

Regards - Mark Bicknell.

Social source share

Does it for me everytime i play it, needs playing again me thinks...lol, i reckon it's a fair price Steve and no i'm not on commission here lol, when you consider how rarly this comes up for sale speaks volumes as there can't be many in circulation, seems Ted has Pete's old copy from way back, i bet it's not been on Ebay too often if at all, some of the bigger items i've let go over the years and there have been a few i have never considered this one for sale, such a good record.

Regards - Mark Bicknell.

It seems to be a genuinely rare record, but there has been a few copies for sale over the last few years. There has been a few on ebay. It strangely doesn't seem to be that in demand, compared to many other more common and more expensive titles. A top tune imo.

Social source share

It seems to be a genuinely rare record, but there has been a few copies for sale over the last few years. There has been a few on ebay. It strangely doesn't seem to be that in demand, compared to many other more common and more expensive titles. A top tune imo.

How many would you say have been listed for sale on Ebay? just curious, it never was a huge record but certainly could become indemand again second time around like so many records this one has yet to have it's day as a monster oldie, has everything going for it and rare it would seem...lol

Regards - Mark Bicknell.

Social source share

So is £1200.00 at set sale reasonable then John? opinion here would suggest that Pete's asking price is a fair one.

Regards - Mark Bicknell.

At the mo' it could well be the only copy on sale in the world, so Pete's quite within his rights to ask £1200 or anthing he wants for it.

I'd hope to get 4 figures on auction for mint minus copy, it is an increasingly tough 45 to find.. but demand and condition are the deciding factors.

Social source share

At the mo' it could well be the only copy on sale in the world, so Pete's quite within his rights to ask £1200 or anthing he wants for it.

I'd hope to get 4 figures on auction for mint minus copy, it is an increasingly tough 45 to find.. but demand and condition are the deciding factors.

We will all be watching your auction then John when this one comes up for sale, as you say a tough 45 to find. I predict £1047.00 as the finishing price lol we should have a sweep stake all through 50p in and the winner takes all...lol

Regards - Mark Bicknell.

Social source share

How many would you say have been listed for sale on Ebay? just curious, it never was a huge record but certainly could become indemand again second time around like so many records this one has yet to have it's day as a monster oldie, has everything going for it and rare it would seem...lol

Regards - Mark Bicknell.

There are two recorded on popsike, but there has been more, maybe a couple more over a period of some years. Most have not been in top condition though but rather typical of the VG/VG+ records that seem to turn up around Detroit and elsewhere every now and then, like Dennis Edwards on Intl. Soul City, there has been maybe half a dozen of those on ebay, but most, if not all, have been pretty scruffy. Melvin Davis seems to be a lot rarer than many other things that sell for a lot more on a pretty regular basis. In addition to ebay there has been a few (as in a few, like 2-3 maybe) for sale from other sources in the UK and US over the last 4 - 6 years. This is what I recall having seen for sale 'in public'. Main thing though is that it is a very good record, and definitely rare by any standard. Records like the Cashmeres sell for a lot more from time to time and they are far more common.

Social source share

Guest Stuart T

Regards - Mark Bicknell.

Two on popsike, one 2005, one 2006. First one was a bit battered but went for more, second one a bit warped but probably fine (USD 1700, second one USD 1400, at the time £1100 and £900?). Think Pete's price is on the money, I've loved this ever since I got the bootleg as a teenager (and was assured not long after by a self appointed expert that it was genuine, despite the fact that the bloke in the shop gave it to me for nothing because it looked "funny" :P , or was that the Don Varner boot? I believed it for years not knowing how rare it is :thumbsup: ).

Social source share

Well, I bought mine end of 2005 off ebay...a mint (!) with only a light storage warp. Don`t remember the price (as I am not to keen on memorizing prices on records which I will never ever sell) but remember saying to myslef "that was CHEAP!"...however, I have all his early records (Wheel City, Keke, Fortune and Jackpot) and must say, yes this is rare and great but his rarest must be his Jackpot 45. Melvin Davis himself did not even know it had been released, Butch didn`t knew it when I first played and showed him my copy and I had to search bloody 16 years for my first copy (and all of a sudden found a second copy -its always the same- had that experience with Little Stanley and "Doc truelove" as well :thumbsup: ). As his Jackpot 45 is not known and a tad too early for most Northern Soulers it hasn`t got really a price tag and I ended up with trading this second copy to Steve Z.

Marc

Social source share

There are two recorded on popsike, but there has been more, maybe a couple more over a period of some years. Most have not been in top condition though but rather typical of the VG/VG+ records that seem to turn up around Detroit and elsewhere every now and then, like Dennis Edwards on Intl. Soul City, there has been maybe half a dozen of those on ebay, but most, if not all, have been pretty scruffy. Melvin Davis seems to be a lot rarer than many other things that sell for a lot more on a pretty regular basis. In addition to ebay there has been a few (as in a few, like 2-3 maybe) for sale from other sources in the UK and US over the last 4 - 6 years. This is what I recall having seen for sale 'in public'. Main thing though is that it is a very good record, and definitely rare by any standard. Records like the Cashmeres sell for a lot more from time to time and they are far more common.

Thanks for that information, so with the ones listed on popsike/Ebay and private sellers we are talking maybe 6 or 7 copies in 4 - 6 years which brings into perspective just how few and far between records like this actually come up for sale, it will be interesting to see if Pete's copy sells and what John's one reaches at auction? i agree with your Cashmeres comment but as John stated demand does often play a major part in the price.

Regards - Mark Bicknell.

Social source share

Guest Stuart T

Funny that nobody has mentioned it but surely someone somewhere has a hundred count box under his bed but has lost his job and is going to start selling them soon? :P

:thumbsup: Sorry, but comments like that used to be traditional when someone was selling a big record didn't they? :P

Social source share

Funny that nobody has mentioned it but surely someone somewhere has a hundred count box under his bed but has lost his job and is going to start selling them soon? :P

:thumbsup: Sorry, but comments like that used to be traditional when someone was selling a big record didn't they? :P

Bugger i forgot about that box under the bed...lol seriously as we all know that can happen with any record but as time goes by it's less likely to happen on titles like this???

And theres only six copies left in my 25 count box...lol oh and this is a joke by the way..happy to have just the one!

Regards - Mark Bicknell.

Social source share

I dont know how true this is but i seem to remember back i the seventies Bob Foster bringing 10 copys back from the states and being sold for 10 bob each.
Steve, Bob seemed to have multiples of lots of rare Detroit back in 72-74, 3 copies of the Magnetic spring to mind, he use to give Tony Clark "Wrong Man" away as a freebie if you bought a few records off him. But you have to remember these records were only 5-6 years old at the time and could be found quite easily in Detroit at that time. I just wish I had been a little bit more switched on back then. :thumbsup:
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!