The Detroit Bible

• Replies 25
  • Views 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Posted Images

Keith Rylatt (who was one of the contributors to the original fanzine) has just finished a book on Detroit's soul and R&B scene called Groovesville USA. It's being edited and designed at the moment and should be out before the end of the year.

I can't say too much about it at the moment but I'll keep everybody up to speed on here.

Stuart

Social source share

Keith Rylatt (who was one of the contributors to the original fanzine) has just finished a book on Detroit's soul and R&B scene called Groovesville USA. It's being edited and designed at the moment and should be out before the end of the year.

I can't say too much about it at the moment but I'll keep everybody up to speed on here.

Stuart

DEFINETLY HE WROTE WITH GREAT KNOWLEDGE LOOKING FORWARD TO HIS BOOK VERY MUCH.

baz a

Social source share

STUMBLED ON THIS LAST NIGHT GREAT READ STILL,WE REFERRED TO THIS AS THE BIBLE IN THE LATE EIGHTIES EARLY NINETIES,ROD DEARLOVE ETC.SOME NICE BRITISH STUFF AS WELL,THIS WAS WAY WAY BEFORE THE PRICE QUIDES ETC,ANY HISTORY ON THIS WOULD BE GREAT READING INDEED.

BAZ A.

yep, still got mine too :huh:

btw Good to meet you yesterday Baz

Cheers

Steve

Social source share

You've just burst a memory there - I ran a small record shop when I left school, before Hott Waxx Records, and used to be sent a similar thing from the States but without the scans if I remember correctly - what would that have been?

Social source share

Suerly this deserves a re-press? I lost mine years ago and ask Rod about this about the same time he re-produced 1 - 4 of Voices.

If I recall there was no pricing in it, just lots of great label listings and photos

yes id go along with that, also a great british detroit section very well written and a superb tracking on similar detroit backing tracks.

BAZ A :rolleyes:

Social source share

Guest Dante

STUMBLED ON THIS LAST NIGHT GREAT READ STILL,WE REFERRED TO THIS AS THE BIBLE IN THE LATE EIGHTIES EARLY NINETIES,ROD DEARLOVE ETC.SOME NICE BRITISH STUFF AS WELL,THIS WAS WAY WAY BEFORE THE PRICE QUIDES ETC,ANY HISTORY ON THIS WOULD BE GREAT READING INDEED.

BAZ A.

That looks just great!

Does any kind soulie has a spare copy that wants to part with???

That Bible is nearer to Detroit in Mexico than in the Uk hehehe

Cheers

Dante

Social source share

I still have my copy,somewhere ? If i remember correctly Bob Foster from North Wales was instrumental in providing information and / or assisting with this publication.

It was the the holy grail for most of these tunes on this bible for a lot of us North Wales kids at the time.

Pete Morgan

Social source share

You've just burst a memory there - I ran a small record shop when I left school, before Hott Waxx Records, and used to be sent a similar thing from the States but without the scans if I remember correctly - what would that have been?

Hi Barry

Yes, I had that too (still have somewhere), used to use both in tandem! Not sure it was from the US though - need to check at home?

Steve

Social source share

in the distant past,my best detroit stuff came from three guys.

keith rylatt

rob foster

john farrell

sigh,those were the days.

oh yes you can add a certain tony colby top dertoit man if ever there was one,had about everything at one point,did assist with this mag also i i recall.

BAZ A

Social source share

Guest Dante

ILL GET ONE RUN OFF FOR YOU FOR A FREE TRIP TO MEXICO CITY LOL,PM ME YOUR ADDRESS.

BAZ A :lol:

Thanks Baz, I've just PM you...

Social source share

God he had a great collection remeber when he sold it, he had the complete Thelma listing the most expensive record was Martha Starr Solution £7.00p

Agree with that ted .ALSO alot of those thelmas in the early eighties were peanuts,do you remember tony colby top detroit man at the time HE LET SO MUCH GO ,there again we all have at some point.

BAZ A

Social source share

Agree with that ted .ALSO alot of those thelmas in the early eighties were peanuts,do you remember tony colby top detroit man at the time HE LET SO MUCH GO ,there again we all have at some point.

BAZ A

I remember didnt get any thing of him though i still have nightmares about the stuff i sold to tim Brown in 1998 Aeroplane song included

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!