July 27th 2007 - The Orwell Open Decks Night

We're still having a beer and playing a few tunes with memories of a fantastic night at The Orwell in Wigan ringing in our ears! Me and Dolly made our debut down at the Wigan Pier Complex main room last night and what a buzz it was!!!

This was always going to be a night of great music and we were not disappointed from walking through the door at 9:15, right thru to the last tune at something past 2am this morning.

I say that, while reserving judgement on my own performance between 12:30 and 1:15 however!!!! Where do I start? Mis-cue a record here. Play a wrong side there. Have a record stick & click (Belita Woods) and be blissfully unaware for 20 seconds or so as I had the 'phones on cue-ing my next 45. Not my most dextrous of performances and its probably fair to say that the world is a safer and happier place for my NOT being an eye surgeon or similar!!!

That said, it was a real treat to have the chance to play some 70's and X-Over from the boxes along with Dolly who, I have to say, was the essence of calm when I got myself in a tangle and just kept pulling out the tunes and generally keeping her head. Its just a bloo*y good job that there was at least one cool head behind the decks!

Back to the night itself, its difficult to avoid using such an over-used phrase, but the cross-section of music last night really was "Across The Board" in the truest sense of the word and it was so good to hear so many top quality records of all genres in one room on the one night. Added to this, the fact that it was about Quality Soul rather than the rarest records anyone could find opened things right up for some really nice surprises and not a few reminders of some of the great records we all have stashed away that need another airing.

Every DJ (listed below) delivered well thought out, well balanced sets and I thoroughly enjoyed every minute of the evening.

Thanks so much to Steve P, Steve C, Flanny, Baz M and John for giving us the chance to play a set in the hallowed walls of the Orwell. Hope we can do it again soon fellas. Only next time I'll make sure I take my oven gloves off before opening the play box!!!

And so, to .Derek Smith, Jim Elliott, Adam + Lofty & Tomo - The Boro Boys, Paul Havakin, Tony Jackson - The Greatstone, Pete Haigh ; Andy LettThe Spirit of Blackpool Mecca, Pete Best - The Three Greyhounds..... I raise my hat and thank you for a night of such great great music.

Here's what me and Dolly played......

Superlatives - Don't Let True Love Die - Dynamics (Dolly)

De Vonns - Groovin With Your Baby - Mr G (Dolly)

L'il Major Williams - Girl You're So Sweet - Palladium (Neil)

Ernie Johnson - Big Man Cry - Steph & Lee (Dolly)

Universal Love - Its You Girl - Glades (Dolly)

Finishing Touch - Secod Best - Philly Groove (Neil)

Brothers Of Soul - I'd Be Greatful - Boo (Dolly)

Little Beaver - Listen To My Heartbeat - CAT (Neil)

Ronnie Stokes - Touch You Again - Philly City (Neil)

Willie Fisher - Put Your Lovin On Me - Jama (Dolly)

Belita Woods - Magic Corner - Moira (Neil)

The Dells - Closer - Cadet (Neil)

Ebony Essence - Let Me In - Goodie Train (Dolly)

L'il Major Williams - Girl Don't Leave Me - Palladium (eventually!!!!) (Neil)

Richard Caiton - I See Love Girl In Your Eyes - Caiburt (Dolly)

Wilson Williams - Faith Will Bring It Home - ABC (Neil & Dolly)

Thanks again to the Orwell team - Next date is last Friday in August. Put it in your diary and give yourselves a Soulful treat!!

Neil Jones & Dolly :rolleyes:

• Replies 26
  • Views 2.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

had an excellent nite last night, well done to all concerned. some great music played all nite.nice to meet alot of friends, in a great atmosphere.well worth the travel time.

only down side i never came back 2 skeg with any new vinyl,very strange feeling.

thumbs up from the lincolnshire coast.

:rolleyes::boxing:

We're still having a beer and playing a few tunes with memories of a fantastic night at The Orwell in Wigan ringing in our ears! Me and Dolly made our debut down at the Wigan Pier Complex main room last night and what a buzz it was!!!

This was always going to be a night of great music and we were not disappointed from walking through the door at 9:15, right thru to the last tune at something past 2am this morning.

I say that, while reserving judgement on my own performance between 12:30 and 1:15 however!!!! Where do I start? Mis-cue a record here. Play a wrong side there. Have a record stick & click (Belita Woods) and be blissfully unaware for 20 seconds or so as I had the 'phones on cue-ing my next 45. Not my most dextrous of performances and its probably fair to say that the world is a safer and happier place for my NOT being an eye surgeon or similar!!!

That said, it was a real treat to have the chance to play some 70's and X-Over from the boxes along with Dolly who, I have to say, was the essence of calm when I got myself in a tangle and just kept pulling out the tunes and generally keeping her head. Its just a bloo*y good job that there was at least one cool head behind the decks!

Back to the night itself, its difficult to avoid using such an over-used phrase, but the cross-section of music last night really was "Across The Board" in the truest sense of the word and it was so good to hear so many top quality records of all genres in one room on the one night. Added to this, the fact that it was about Quality Soul rather than the rarest records anyone could find opened things right up for some really nice surprises and not a few reminders of some of the great records we all have stashed away that need another airing.

Every DJ (listed below) delivered well thought out, well balanced sets and I thoroughly enjoyed every minute of the evening.

Thanks so much to Steve P, Steve C, Flanny, Baz M and John for giving us the chance to play a set in the hallowed walls of the Orwell. Hope we can do it again soon fellas. Only next time I'll make sure I take my oven gloves off before opening the play box!!!

And so, to .Derek Smith, Jim Elliott, Adam + Lofty & Tomo - The Boro Boys, Paul Havakin, Tony Jackson - The Greatstone, Pete Haigh ; Andy LettThe Spirit of Blackpool Mecca, Pete Best - The Three Greyhounds..... I raise my hat and thank you for a night of such great great music.

Thanks again to the Orwell team - Next date is last Friday in August. Put it in your diary and give yourselves a Soulful treat!!

Neil Jones & Dolly :D

Neil, sounds as if you had a bit of a mare behind the decks, happens to us all matey so they say, but now you know how i feel everytime i endeavour to play a hours worth of tunes and consider it a success if i manage to keep the cokc ups to single figures!!!!!

Oh well its not through lack of trying ay Jonesy? would be boring if it was easy!

Neil, sounds as if you had a bit of a mare behind the decks,

Oi ! Who you calling a mare :lol: lol

Before our spot my stomach started churning the palms of my hands were soaked.

Neil told me not to panic. Nothing to be nervous or embarrassed about. Follow his lead, nothing to it.

At least I had a speaker to hide behind ! :yes:

Neil :D Dolly blush.gif

All joking aside I had a great time its a pukka venue lovely crowd of people.

Thanks Steve Flanny for letting me play a few of my tunes.

Neil you're a star. Thanks for brillant night, one I'm sure I won't let you forget.. :D:D

Edited by dollynormal1

Oi ! Who you calling a mare shades.gif

Before our spot my nerves started to get the better of me, Neil reasurely told me not to panic follow his lead nothing to it.

At least I had a speaker to hide behind. :yes:

Neil :D Dolly :D

Well spotted Dolly, need to clear this up i think :lol: mare was meant as in nightmare, appen, :D

Pete

Well spotted Dolly, need to clear this up i think :D mare was meant as in nightmare, appen, :lol:

Pete

'Appen I knew what tha' meant Pete. No offence taken although tha shall have to be more careful with what tha types into t'internet lad!

Time for me to get us tea on t'table before I jumps in me baff ya ba**ard. :yes:

Guest Black Gold of the Sun

'Appen I knew what tha' meant Pete. No offence taken although tha shall have to be more careful with what tha types into t'internet lad!

Time for me to get us tea on t'table before I jumps in me baff ya ba**ard. :D

Reet nice t,see tha,s larnin to speak reet proper Dolly :yes:

Time for me to get us tea on t'table before I jumps in me baff ya ba**ard. :P

Tha mont jump in thi baff owd lass, thal do thisel an injury, tha wants be curful wot tha types, appen,

Guest malc1

Neil Jones & Dolly :P

Hi Niel, Sounds like a good nite had by all,noticed you played Dells - Closer which you recomended to me and now in my box cheers bud..and a nice playlist to boot..

Malc

Great night, we thoroughly enjoyed it - thanks for having us (we'd have come anyhow!)

Our sadly too brief set - we tried hard to capture the spirit of the Orwell, hope we suceeded....

"Baby, I Need You" - T.J. Williams and Two Shades of Soul - Josie

"I Never Loved Nobody" - Ortheia Barnes - Coral

"Nobody But You" - Esther Phillips - Roulette

"You Messing Up A Good Thing" - Heywood Cash - Epic

"I Want To Be Love" - Stevens & Foster - Jerri

"Hit & Run Lover" - Tommie Young - Soul Power

"I'm In Love Again" - The Jones - Epic

"Its Everything About You" - The Pretenders - Carnival

"I'm In Debt To You" - Innersection - Group 5

"I Love You But I'll Leave You" - The Emotions - Twin Stacks

"I Learned My Lesson" - Donald Lee Richardson - Soulville

"Promise to Myself" - Tony Borders - Quinvy

"Beautiful Philosophy" - The Internationals - D-Ar

"I Need Your Loving" - Gene Redding - Bell

"Something On My Mind - T & T - Cobra

And as we were billed as the 'Boro boys' it would of been remiss of us not to have included the latest release from our good friend Paul Mooney

"You Better Keep What You Got" by Rozetta Johnson. - Shotgun

Restored, mastered and produced in Middlesbrough- out now ,buy it, it sounds great!

Lofty, Adam and Tomo

Edited by Mike Lofthouse

Great night, we thoroughly enjoyed it - thanks for having us (we'd have come anyhow!)

Our sadly too brief set - we tried hard to capture the spirit of the Orwell, hope we suceeded....

And as we were billed as the 'Boro boys' it would of been remiss of us not to have included the latest release from our good friend Paul Mooney

"You Better Keep What You Got" by Rozetta Johnson. - Shotgun

Restored, mastered and produced in Middlesbrough- out now ,buy it, it sounds great!

Lofty, Adam and Tomo

Hi Guys

Spirit of T'Orwell captured perfectly and then some. Great set that was appriciated by all. Here's to next time (and a longer set), thanks for your enthusiasm and very special effort

All the Best

BazM

...............................suffering from a long weekend of excess....................got in after 1am this morning from a brill all dayer in Darlington...........................on me 6th coffee at work.................will post a full report on last Friday's Orwell 'Open Decks' later today..............suffice to say (and can be seen from the posts above) that it was a great night.

Cheers

Steve

From Blackpool's finest EPIC and PETE HAIGH

from Pete

JAMES BROWN-LOST SOMEONE-POLYDOR LP

LEON THOMAS-LOVE EACH OTHER-PHILLIPS LP

JON LUCIEN-WOULD YOU BELIEVE IN ME?-RCA LP

CHUCK STEPHENS-LETS GET NASTY-EAST COAST 7"

JERRY BUTLER-ORDINARY JOE-MERCURY LP

ODDYSEY-BATTENED SHIPS-MOWEST LP

SALENA JONES-AM I THE SAME GIRL?-CBS LP

MAC DAVIS-I,M JUST IN LOVE-COLUMBIA 7"

EPIC

YOU LIVE ONLY ONCE - IMPERIAL WONDERS

DATE WITH THE RAIN - EDDIE KENDRICKS

IF I COULD GIVE YOU THE WORLD - HEARTS OF STONE

FEEL GOOD - MICHELLE WILEY

APRIL FOOLS- ARETHA FRANKLIN

GOLDEN LADY- JOSE FELICIANO

Qulaity night and smoke free too

thanks chapa sand to all the djs

really enjoyed th eboro lads and derek smith whose openin gset wasa blinder!!!!

well done to Steve and the boys for running the open night!!!!!

great time had by us lot from morecambe st annes and preston

Neil Jones & Dolly :P

Nice write up Neil,

Maybe you could one for Bury Town Hall sometime too.. :huh:

Jayne.

Hi Everyone

Just like to say that the Wirral 3 minus 1 had a great night and big thanks to all the DJs for making it a night to remember!!!!

Colin

Hi Everyone sorry for the late post had a fantastic night at what is still the best crossover venues in the country. An honour to be asked to spin a few, every dj on the night added something special to the night, best spot personally was the Boro boys, some awesome tunes. Big thanks to all the Orwell gang firstly for putting on such a good night secondly for invited me and Tony ( no doubt Tony will put his input on the night). Mick and Mo for travelling so far to support you are stars and everyone else that came to support. Heres my part of the nights playlist in no particular order.

The original drifters - just let your heart be your guide - sounds south ( caught Pete haigh and Steve plumb out with this one)

Walter (butterball ) davies - girl stop begging - la cade

Ebony essence - let me in - goodie train

Ronnie shannon - sweet games of love -black gold

Dunn & Bruce street - the moment of truth - devaki

Bottom & company - gonna find a true love - motown

Wee - try me - owl

The spartans - I don't need another lover - era

Soul bros. inc. - pyramid - golden eye

Thanks again Paul.

Edited by P5OULH
Guest Adam G

Hi Everyone sorry for the late post had a fantastic night at what is still the best crossover venues in the country. An honour to be asked to spin a few, every dj on the night added something special to the night, best spot personally was the darlington boys, some awesome tunes. Big thanks to all the Orwell gang firstly for putting on such a good night secondly for invited me and Tony ( no doubt Tony will put his input on the night). Mick and Mo for travelling so far to support you are stars and everyone else that came to support. Heres my part of the nights playlist in no particular order.

The original drifters - just let your heart be your guide - sounds south ( caught Pete haigh and Steve plumb out with this one)

Wee - try me - owl

Thanks again Paul.

Hi Paul I think you mean The Boro Boys! mate. Darlington is 15min away and three divisions from Middlesbrough!.As bad as calling us Geordies! :lol: Agree with you though regarding the night.It was really enjoyable to play at a place we all think is musicaly excellant for our tastes. I couldnt really pick out a favourite spot though.....

Thanks for all the support well to Charly the Boro "Groupie".See you all in August

Hi Everyone sorry for the late post had a fantastic night at what is still the best crossover venues in the country. An honour to be asked to spin a few, every dj on the night added something special to the night, best spot personally was the Boro boys, some awesome tunes. Big thanks to all the Orwell gang firstly for putting on such a good night secondly for invited me and Tony ( no doubt Tony will put his input on the night). Mick and Mo for travelling so far to support you are stars and everyone else that came to support. Heres my part of the nights playlist in no particular order.

Wee - try me - owl

Thanks again Paul.

Howdo,

A belated look-back from me as well. Just thought I'd take the oppourtunity to 'big up' a fantastic night and thank a few people along the way. First up thanks to Steve P and all the Orwell mob for setting up the night and inviting myself and Paul along to spin a few, proud to be part of the first of many 'open decks' nights down at the home of 70's crossover. Big thanks to all the Greatstone crowd who attended, Janet, Donna, Budgie , Hilary, Mick & Mo and especially Paul who had to endure my drunken ramblings on the way home.

As has been said before, a great chance to hear some forgotten, some new , some cheap and some not so cheap crossover goodies. As we all know crossover is quite a broad church, and it was refreshing to listen to 'different' peoples slant on the genre, some blinders played on the night by all the Dj's well done every single one of you. Let's hope this is the way to go, I for one can't wait for the next one.

A few I played.

Sam Dees - Come Back Strong - Atlantic

Whirlwind - Don't Let Him Get The Best Of You - Roulette

Wendell Watts - You Girl - Ref.O.Ree

Bobby Cutchins - Leaving - Lasso

Top Shelf - Doggone Baby I Love You - Spectrum

Ronnie Miller - Listen To The Music - Jar-Val

Dewey Jeffries - When No One Cared - Gary-Dew

Phillip Mitchell - The World Needs More People Like You - Jay Boy

Scientists Of Soul - Be That way Sometime - Kashe

Betty Lloyd - I'm Catching On - BSC

Edited by Tony Jackson

As has been said elsewhere, The Orwell 'Open Decks' special was a resounding success :-)

Brill music throughout with a mixture of rare, not-so-rare, semi-knowns, classics and just plain great Soul records all night!

Derek Smith from Preston kicked off the night and played some brilliant uplifting tracks to set the tone for the evening. Derek's playlist was as follows-

Gifted Four - Are you choosing

Bobby Womack - I don't know

Lilian Hale - The signs were wrong

Jackson 5 - Uppermost (Skywriter LP)

Skip Jackson - I'm onto you girl

Bob Brady - It's been a long time between kisses

Unlimited Four - Walk away lover

Exsavayons - I don't love you no more

Patti Labelle - Trustin' in you

Fat Larry's Band - Stubborn kinda fella

Chocolate Company - One small motion

Pat Lewis - No one to love

Alex Taylor - Slowly turning to love

A right old mixture of styles which had the dancefloor ticking over too!

Jim Elliott was up next. Jim would like it known that although he has a suvvern accent, he's actually from Crewe via Daan Saaf via Hull and back to Crewe again, so we apologise for thinking he was an Essex Boy :-)

Jim carried on with some top quality sides as his playlist clearly shows-

Next Movement How did we get to this (GEC)

Freda Payne I hear rumours (ABC)

Alex Brown I'm not responsible (SUNDI)

Popcorn Wylie Singing about you and me (ABC)

Buddy Miles Got to find ms Right (COLUMBIA)

Sisters Love Give me your love (MOWEST)

Dynamics You can make it if you try (COLUMBIA)

Thee Image Alone with you (MANTICORE)

Baby Washington Don't let me lose this dream (COTILLION)

Bobby Taylor Just a little bit closer (MOWEST)

Young James was not afraid to have a do on the mic too - Nice one Jim!

Adam, Tomo & Lofty (The Boro Boys) were up next and they certainly didn't disappoint! TOP quality 70's & Crossover Soul had the dance floor moving in good style. The playlist speaks for itself!

And finally, as they were billed as the 'Boro boys' it would have been remiss of them not to have played the latest release from their mucker Paul Mooney's Shotgun Label in the shape of the brilliant "You Better Keep What You Got" by Rozetta Johnson!

Getting up to the witching hour and over to the guys representing their particular Soul nights and first up was Tony Jackson & Paul Havakin representing The Greatstone Hotel. Again, a wonderful mixture of all things Soulful that kept folks bobbing to the decks and to the dancefloor in equal measure. Nice one fellas!

The original drifters - just let your heart be your guide - sounds south

Wee - try me - owl

EPIC and PETE HAIGH were representing what we called 'The Spirit of the last hour at Blackpool Mecca' which didn't mean we wanted them to play those 'last hour' records BUT records in keeping with that 'Last Hour' ethos (if you know what I mean!). Looking down this playlist explains it beautifully!

Mr Haigh of course steered things along with his flawless DJing patter (pity his jokes aren't as good!)

Onto our surprise of the night, Neil Jones representing Bury Town Hall BUT playing an all out 70's and Crossover set! Ably assisted by Dolly, Neil was his usual energetic DJing self it was just the tunes that were different! A refreshing change with some killer tunes. Here's the playlist-

Superlatives - Don't Let True Love Die - Dynamics

De Vonns - Groovin With Your Baby - Mr G

L'il Major Williams - Girl You're So Sweet - Palladium

Ernie Johnson - Big Man Cry - Steph & Lee

Universal Love - Its You Girl - Glades

Finishing Touch - Secod Best - Philly Groove

Brothers Of Soul - I'd Be Greatful - Boo

Little Beaver - Listen To My Heartbeat - CAT

Ronnie Stokes - Touch You Again - Philly City

Willie Fisher - Put Your Lovin On Me - Jama

Belita Woods - Magic Corner - Moira

The Dells - Closer - Cadet

Ebony Essence - Let Me In - Goodie Train

L'il Major Williams - Girl Don't Leave Me - Palladium

Richard Caiton - I See Love Girl In Your Eyes - Caiburt

Wilson Williams - Faith Will Bring It Home - ABC

And finally, to end what was a superb night was Pete Best representing his club The Three Greyhounds. Patrons of the Three Greyhounds have supported The Orwell for many years now and it was great to see one of their own do the business! Pete's playlist is below - plenty of tunes to die for!

DAYBREAK I NEED LOVE P&P

ALMETA LATTIMORE THESE MEMORIES MAINSTREAM DEMO

CROSS FIRE TAKE ME BACK VIRTUE

SHARON RIDLEY WHERE DID YOU LEARN TO MAKE LOVE SUSSEX

IMPERIAL WONDERS TRYING TO GET TO YOU BLACK PRINCE

DEDE WARWICK EVERYBODY'S GOT TO BELIEVE IN SOMEBODY ATCO

BUNNY SIGLER KEEP SMILIN' PIR

FLORIDA SPIRITULAIRES I REMEMBER WHEN ERNIES RECORD PARADE

THE TAMS PRECIOUS MOMENT SOUNDS SOUTH

SIR GEORGE I LOST YOU GIRL G&G

BELITA WOODS THAT'S WHEN I'LL STOP LOVING YOU MOIRA

GENE TAYLOR YOU GOT MY NOSE WIDE OPEN MINIT

RAY HINES WHY DON'T YOU GIVE ME A TRY RNH

ROOSEVELT MATTHEWS YOU GOT ME DIGGIN YOU KING

WILLIAM HUNT WOULD YOU BELIEVE STREAMSIDE

KENT DRAKE BOSS THING TOGETHER WAND

Anyone who left early missed an absolute treat as class 45 was followed by class 45, finishing at about 2.10am with Kent Drake's 'Boss Thing Together', which actually said it all. We definitely had a 'Boss Thing Together' - 12 DJ's under one roof with one common goal!

Our thanks go out to each and every DJ and everyone who attended the first (but definitely not the last) 'Open Decks' Special!

Cheers

Steve Plumb

July 2007

ps Will update the thread when further playlists are received and also when photos etc from the night are available on the various sites, blogs etc

Edited by Steve Plumb

As has been said elsewhere, The Orwell 'Open Decks' special was a resounding success :-)

Brill music throughout with a mixture of rare, not-so-rare, semi-knowns, classics and just plain great Soul records all night!

Derek Smith from Preston kicked off the night and played some brilliant uplifting tracks to set the tone for the evening. We're still waiting for Derek's

playlist but i remember tracks like-

Jackson 5 - A track from the Skywriter LP

Jim Elliott was up next. Jim would like it known that although he has a suvvern accent, he's actually from Crewe via Daan Saaf via Hull and back to

Crewe again, so we apologise for thinking he was an Essex Boy :-)

Adam, Tomo & Lofty (The Boro Boys) were up next and they certainly didn't disappoint! TOP quality 70's & Crossover Soul had the dance floor moving

in good style. The playlist speaks for itself!

And finally, as they were billed as the 'Boro boys' it would have been remiss of them not to have played the latest release from their mucker Paul

Mooney's Shotgun Label in the shape of the brilliant "You Better Keep What You Got" by Rozetta Johnson!

Getting up to the witching hour and over to the guys representing their particular Soul nights and first up was Tony Jackson & Paul Havakin

representing The Greatstone Hotel. Again, a wonderful mixture of all things Soulful that kept folks bobbing to the decks and to the dancefloor in equal

measure. Nice one fellas!

Wee - try me - owl

EPIC and PETE HAIGH were representing what we called 'The Spirit of the last hour at Blackpool Mecca' which didn't mean we wanted them to play

those 'last hour' records BUT records in keeping with that 'Last Hour' ethos (if you know what I mean!). Looking down this playlist explains it beautifully!

Mr Haigh of course steered things along with his flawless DJing patter (pity his jokes aren't as good!)

Onto our surprise of the night, Neil Jones representing Bury Town Hall BUT playing an all out 70's and Crossover set! Ably assisted by Dolly, Neil was

his usual energetic DJing self it was just the tunes that were different! A refreshing change with some killer tunes. Here's the playlist-

And finally, to end what was a superb night was Pete Best representing his club The Three Greyhounds. Patrons of the Three Greyhounds have

supported The Orwell for many years now and it was great to see one of their own do the business! We haven't received Pete's playlist yet but the

tunes were to die for! Anyone who left early missed an absolute treat as class 45 was followed by class 45, finishing at about 2.10am with Kent

Drake's 'Boss Thing Together', which actually said it all. We definitely had a 'Boss Thing Together' - 12 DJ's under one roof with one common goal!

Our thanks go out to each and every DJ and everyone who attended the first (but definitely not the last) 'Open Decks' Special!

Cheers

Steve Plumb

July 2007

ps Will update the thread when further playlists are received and also when photos etc from the night are available on the various sites, blogs etc

Bugger me Steve....tuneage or what...makes The Orwell so unique........see you soon.

Regards - Mark Bicknell.

Bugger me Steve....tuneage or what...makes The Orwell so unique........see you soon.

Regards - Mark Bicknell.

Hi Mark

Thanks for that mate :rolleyes:

In fact i've just added Pete Best's playlist to the original review - just Derek's to come now and we'll have a complete picture of the night!!!

Cheers

Steve

Derek Smith from Preston kicked off the night and played some brilliant uplifting tracks to set the tone for the evening. Derek's playlist was as follows-

Jackson 5 - Uppermost (Skywriter LP)

Skip Jackson - I'm onto you girl

Bob Brady - It's been a long time between kisses

Unlimited Four - Walk away lover

Exsavayons - I don't love you no more

Patti Labelle - Trustin' in you

Fat Larry's Band - Stubborn kinda fella

Chocolate Company - One small motion

Alex Taylor - Slowly turning to love

Jim Elliott was up next. Jim would like it known that although he has a suvvern accent, he's actually from Crewe via Daan Saaf via Hull and back to Crewe again, so we apologise for thinking he was an Essex Boy :-)

Adam, Tomo & Lofty (The Boro Boys) were up next and they certainly didn't disappoint! TOP quality 70's & Crossover Soul had the dance floor moving in good style. The playlist speaks for itself!

And finally, as they were billed as the 'Boro boys' it would have been remiss of them not to have played the latest release from their mucker Paul Mooney's Shotgun Label in the shape of the brilliant "You Better Keep What You Got" by Rozetta Johnson!

Getting up to the witching hour and over to the guys representing their particular Soul nights and first up was Tony Jackson & Paul Havakin representing The Greatstone Hotel. Again, a wonderful mixture of all things Soulful that kept folks bobbing to the decks and to the dancefloor in equal measure. Nice one fellas!

Wee - try me - owl

EPIC and PETE HAIGH were representing what we called 'The Spirit of the last hour at Blackpool Mecca' which didn't mean we wanted them to play those 'last hour' records BUT records in keeping with that 'Last Hour' ethos (if you know what I mean!). Looking down this playlist explains it beautifully!

Onto our surprise of the night, Neil Jones representing Bury Town Hall BUT playing an all out 70's and Crossover set! Ably assisted by Dolly, Neil was his usual energetic DJing self it was just the tunes that were different! A refreshing change with some killer tunes. Here's the playlist-

And finally, to end what was a superb night was Pete Best representing his club The Three Greyhounds. Patrons of the Three Greyhounds have supported The Orwell for many years now and it was great to see one of their own do the business! Pete's playlist is below - plenty of tunes to die for!

DAYBREAK I NEED LOVE P&P

ALMETA LATTIMORE THESE MEMORIES MAINSTREAM DEMO

CROSS FIRE TAKE ME BACK VIRTUE

SHARON RIDLEY WHERE DID YOU LEARN TO MAKE LOVE SUSSEX

IMPERIAL WONDERS TRYING TO GET TO YOU BLACK PRINCE

DEDE WARWICK EVERYBODY'S GOT TO BELIEVE IN SOMEBODY ATCO

BUNNY SIGLER KEEP SMILIN' PIR

FLORIDA SPIRITULAIRES I REMEMBER WHEN ERNIES RECORD PARADE

THE TAMS PRECIOUS MOMENT SOUNDS SOUTH

SIR GEORGE I LOST YOU GIRL G&G

BELITA WOODS THAT'S WHEN I'LL STOP LOVING YOU MOIRA

GENE TAYLOR YOU GOT MY NOSE WIDE OPEN MINIT

RAY HINES WHY DON'T YOU GIVE ME A TRY RNH

ROOSEVELT MATTHEWS YOU GOT ME DIGGIN YOU KING

WILLIAM HUNT WOULD YOU BELIEVE STREAMSIDE

KENT DRAKE BOSS THING TOGETHER WAND

Anyone who left early missed an absolute treat as class 45 was followed by class 45, finishing at about 2.10am with Kent Drake's 'Boss Thing Together', which actually said it all. We definitely had a 'Boss Thing Together' - 12 DJ's under one roof with one common goal!

Cheers

Steve Plumb

July 2007

Derek Smith's playlist has now been added to the above review thumbsup.gif

Don't forget to visit Colin's blog too for piccies etc

Cheers

Steve