Jackie Beavers

Why is this record so expensive? It's the last one i need for the set. I've seen almost unplayable copies sold on EBAY for silly money. I read somewhere that there are fewer copies of some of the later Revilot

releases than this one.

I would love to know the story behind it.

Thanks

Rob

Social source share

• Replies 9
  • Views 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Why is this record so expensive? I read somewhere that there are fewer copies of some of the later Revilot

releases than this one.

I would love to know the story behind it.

Thanks

Rob

One possible theory is the date of release Rob. It was a summer of 1967 release. On the last weekend of July 1967 Detroit erupted in the worst riots in the city's history leaving 43 dead and devastation in much of the inner city. Some of the city's key record stores and distribution points were burnt to the ground, including places like Joe Von Battles, Fortune Records etc. Although I have nothing to back this up, if Jackie Beavers was pressed in small quantities and was seen as a local release, without national distribution, then its probable that a significant quantity of stock was destroyed in local shops. This is also one of the theories behind the rarity of several Shrine records, from Washington DC. Although Jackie Beavers more accurately fits the dates of the riots. This is just a theory, and is impossible to prove beyond doubt, but at least its an answer. I'd love to hear other possibilities.

Edited by soulfulsaint
Social source share

Hi Guys,

I would have thought the answer was obvous. It's simply a slice of sheer quality as far as classic Detroit soul is concerned. On a great label and reaonably hard to get again should you part with it...therefore people hold on to it. Especially if in good nick. There are plenty around...but they tend to stay in collector's boxes.

Regards,

Dave

www.theresthatbeat.com

www.hitsvillesoulclub.com

Social source share

Hi Guys,

I would have thought the answer was obvous. It's simply a slice of sheer quality as far as classic Detroit soul is concerned. On a great label and reaonably hard to get again should you part with it...therefore people hold on to it. Especially if in good nick. There are plenty around...but they tend to stay in collector's boxes.

Regards,

Dave

www.theresthatbeat.com

www.hitsvillesoulclub.com

Agreed two brilliant sides - B side is just as good if not better.

Social source share

One possible theory is the date of release Rob. It was a summer of 1967 release. On the last weekend of July 1967 Detroit erupted in the worst riots in the city's history leaving 43 dead and devastation in much of the inner city. Some of the city's key record stores and distribution points were burnt to the ground, including places like Joe Von Battles, Fortune Records etc. Although I have nothing to back this up, if Jackie Beavers was pressed in small quantities and was seen as a local release, without national distribution, then its probable that a significant quantity of stock was destroyed in local shops. This is also one of the theories behind the rarity of several Shrine records, from Washington DC. Although Jackie Beavers more accurately fits the dates of the riots. This is just a theory, and is impossible to prove beyond doubt, but at least its an answer. I'd love to hear other possibilities.

Yes, these may have been factors, but also the label was nearing its end and in retrospect LeBaron Taylor was possibly not in a position for business reasons to push and promote the last few releases.

While Darrell Banks had kicked the Revilot label off well at the start with his straight ahead Detroit soul , it would have been the funkier psycho soul of the Parliaments that shortly would have been foremost in the label head's mind in terms of sales.

Generally speaking too, the music industry in the US was experiencing massive upheaval around the summer of '67, and in particular the sound of choice amongst black america was quickly evolving.

Motown now had some serious competition, and the funkier sounds of Stax, not to mention Sly and the Family Stone (Dance To The Music) and the Impressions (We're A Winner) were setting milestones of change in black music taste at that time.

Sweet mid-tempo Detroit soul, like Jackie Beaver's effort, simply may not have been what black kids on the street in the US at that time were buying .....

Edited by sunnysoul
Social source share

Yes, these may have been factors, but also the label was nearing its end and in retrospect LeBaron Taylor was possibly not in a position for business reasons to push and promote the last few releases.

While Darrell Banks had kicked the Revilot label off well at the start with his straight ahead Detroit soul , it would have been the funkier psycho soul of the Parliaments that shortly would have been foremost in the label head's mind in terms of sales.

Generally speaking too, the music industry in the US was experiencing massive upheaval around the summer of '67, and in particular the sound of choice amongst black america was quickly evolving.

Motown now had some serious competition, and the funkier sounds of Stax, not to mention Sly and the Family Stone (Dance To The Music) and the Impressions (We're A Winner) were setting milestones of change in black music taste at that time.

Sweet mid-tempo Detroit soul, like Jackie Beaver's effort, simply may not have been what black kids on the street in the US at that time were buying .....

I agree sunny probably that summer 'redefined' the music. Added to that Dave's point that the number of copies that eventually came on to the northern/rare soul scene was fewer than previous Revilot releases, increasing the 'possessiveness' that collectors have always felt for this record.

Social source share

in july of '97 i devoted a radio show to the sounds of detroit from late july '67...marking the 30-year anniversary of the riots...played what you might have heard on, say, wjlb the day the rioting began...did lots of playlist research beforehand but also relied on anecdotal evidence on a couple ("man, they stopped playing my record on the radio when the riots hit," someone had quoted cecil washington as saying, because of what might be interpreted as some kind of black-power sentiment in the lyrics)...

DOWNTOWN SOULVILLE with Mr. Fine Wine

Fridays 6PM-7PM, WFMU - FM 91.1 East Orange, NJ

July 25, 1997

Detroit Riot soundtrack!

Gladys Knight & the Pips, "Everybody Needs Love"

Marvin Gaye, "Your Unchanging Love"

Andre Williams, "Pearl Time"

Jimmy Delphs, "Almost"

Jean & the Darlings, "How Can You Mistreat the One You Love"

The "Group" Featuring Cecil Washington, "I Don't Like to Lose"

The Miracles, "More Love"

Bunny Sigler, "Let the Good Times Roll/Feels So Good"

Lewis Clark, "Dog (Ain't a Man's Best Friend)"

The Parliaments, "(I Wanna) Testify"

Kris Peterson, "Mama's Little Baby (Is a Big Girl Now)"

The Esquires, "Get On Up"

Bonnie Brisker, "Someone Really Loves You (Guess Who)"

The Isley Brothers, "That's the Way Love Is"

Jr. Walker & the All Stars, "Shoot Your Shot"

Jimmy Ruffin, "Don't You Miss Me a Little Bit Baby"

Slim Harpo, "Tip On In (Pt. 1)"

Jimmy Mack, "My World Is on Fire"

Willie Horton & the Supremes, "Detroit Is Happening"

i'm doubting "shoot your shot" had much longevity on the local playlists after that week! same with "detroit is happening," which was a public service message for summer youth programs but had lines like "detroit is HAPPENING this summer!!"...then there's "my world is on fire"...

Social source share

Hardly near the end, it is the 7th release, just after the Parlliaments hit with I Wanna Testify, so the label wasn't on the wane at this time.....

and I'm not parting with mine!

Social source share

in july of '97 i devoted a radio show to the sounds of detroit from late july '67...marking the 30-year anniversary of the riots...played what you might have heard on, say, wjlb the day the rioting began...did lots of playlist research beforehand but also relied on anecdotal evidence on a couple ("man, they stopped playing my record on the radio when the riots hit," someone had quoted cecil washington as saying, because of what might be interpreted as some kind of black-power sentiment in the lyrics)...

DOWNTOWN SOULVILLE with Mr. Fine Wine

Fridays 6PM-7PM, WFMU - FM 91.1 East Orange, NJ

July 25, 1997

Detroit Riot soundtrack!

Gladys Knight & the Pips, "Everybody Needs Love"

Marvin Gaye, "Your Unchanging Love"

Andre Williams, "Pearl Time"

Jimmy Delphs, "Almost"

Jean & the Darlings, "How Can You Mistreat the One You Love"

The "Group" Featuring Cecil Washington, "I Don't Like to Lose"

The Miracles, "More Love"

Bunny Sigler, "Let the Good Times Roll/Feels So Good"

Lewis Clark, "Dog (Ain't a Man's Best Friend)"

The Parliaments, "(I Wanna) Testify"

Kris Peterson, "Mama's Little Baby (Is a Big Girl Now)"

The Esquires, "Get On Up"

Bonnie Brisker, "Someone Really Loves You (Guess Who)"

The Isley Brothers, "That's the Way Love Is"

Jr. Walker & the All Stars, "Shoot Your Shot"

Jimmy Ruffin, "Don't You Miss Me a Little Bit Baby"

Slim Harpo, "Tip On In (Pt. 1)"

Jimmy Mack, "My World Is on Fire"

Willie Horton & the Supremes, "Detroit Is Happening"

i'm doubting "shoot your shot" had much longevity on the local playlists after that week! same with "detroit is happening," which was a public service message for summer youth programs but had lines like "detroit is HAPPENING this summer!!"...then there's "my world is on fire"...

Great stuff, cheers.

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!