Northern Soul Lyrics

Hi there, I was I was wondering if there is anywhere on the internet I can get hold of Northern soul lyrics....I love singing along to my faves but I am sick of making my own up when I dont know what is being said. I can find lyrics to nearly every song I have ever looked for but when it comes to northern soul I cant find any...I stumbled on this forum and after reading lots and lots of posts I decided to ask for a bit of help.....if poss

Thanks in advance.........Katy :D

Social source share

• Replies 35
  • Views 9.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

hello katy,im with you mate,in the mid 70s at wigan or peterborough all-nighters etc mr dj played the instrumental "thats the way he is" a lot more than the ann perry vocal perhaps the vocal got played a bit more in the 80s??? i have been playing the vocal a lot lately trying to figure out what is being said ie what is a poston or boston stick???, still love the tune but whats being said,!!!... :P:lol::D ...soulie55

Social source share

hello katy,im with you mate,in the mid 70s at wigan or peterborough all-nighters etc mr dj played the instrumental "thats the way he is" a lot more than the ann perry vocal perhaps the vocal got played a bit more in the 80s??? i have been playing the vocal a lot lately trying to figure out what is being said ie what is a poston or boston stick???, still love the tune but whats being said,!!!... :P:lol::D ...soulie55

"He broke my heart like a popsicle stick

But I was smart I could read him quick"

popsicle = ice lolly

Social source share

Guest Matt Male

I'm not sure i want to know the real lyrics. I've gone for years just making my own up while dancing :D Usually the proper lyrics are nowhere near as much fun. :lol:

Having said that, you probably do need to be able to keep your end up during the singalong in the car on the way to a soul nite/niter... :P

Edited by Matt Male
Social source share

My esteemed colleague Simon T really is the man for this sort of thing. :lol:

Well girl you dance and you dress with style

I just watch you playing darling in your mini skirt

Let do the latest dance

Now for sure, just take a chance

Now any minute I might lose control

And in to your arms I'm gonna go, go

Hey girl, my, have you changed!

Now when you were my girl you didn't look the same

You changed because you love me?

Because you love me?

Because you love me?

Ha, it's all right

Hey baby, it's out of sight

You wear bell-bottom pants in just the latest style

Every time I see you it really stupefies (?)

In your plat-former boots and hip-huggers too

Girl you look so fair standing in your mini skirt

I said, hey girl, my, have you changed!

When you were my girl you didn't look the same

Did you change because you love me?

Because you love me?

Because you love me?

Hey girl, I need you

Hey girl, I want you

Hey girl, I want you bad

Hey girl, I dig you act

Hey girl ....... well alright

Hey baby you know it

Honey, don't you know it

You're out of sight

Hey baby, you've changed

Oh, sock it to me now 'cause you're looking good

Sock it to me, honey, I knew you would

You know you're up-tight and out of sight

Hey, it's alright

Oh baby .........

Had a discussion on this some time back and there are some great unravelings in here! https://www.soul-source.co.uk/index.p...ic=15114&hl= Hopes this helps. :P

Talking of threads, welcome to Soul Source Katy Jane. :D Perhaps I might point you to the intro section for a quick high intro shout type thing? :Dhttps://www.soul-source.co.uk/index.php?showforum=44

Edited by Ian Sims
Social source share

The main one I just cant get at the mo is the Charades-Key to my happiness..................If anyone knows I would be very grateful x

Social source share

It goes a bit like this .....

I look at the clouds and see another day breaking through

I say here's another day, baby without you

I'm trying hard just to carry on

But I'm doing bad because she's gone, oh yeah she's gone

'Til I repossess the key to my happiness I'll go on this way

'Til I repossess the key to my happiness I'll go on this way, yeah

I see the sun going down each day, and know what lies ahead

Another nigh to cry out, tears in my lonely tear stained bed

I'm trying hard to carry on

But I'm doing bad because she's gone, oh yeah she's gone

Gotta repossess the key to my happiness

I gotta repossess the key to my happiness

Come on, come on etc

I love a you baby

Phil

Social source share

Thanks very much for that....i can stop making the words up now!

What about Dee Dee Sharp- There aint nothing that I wouldnt do: When we're alone and he kisses my lips........................................???????

I am gonna have a look at the last thread about lyrics

Thanks all

Katy x

Social source share

Thanks very much for that....i can stop making the words up now!

What about Dee Dee Sharp- There aint nothing that I wouldnt do: When we're alone and he kisses my lips........................................???????

I am gonna have a look at the last thread about lyrics

Thanks all

Katy x

'I feel so good, I just moan like this'

then backing girls start 'mmmmmmmmmm' (how you spell it I've no idea)

Social source share

for years every time i used to hear dean parrish,"bricks,broken bottles and sticks" towards the end of the tune for some kind of warped reason i thought the words nearly at the end went like this,"soon theyll be mixing semen water and sand",i did mention this to my bird at the time and she gave me funny looks everytime this tune was played when we was out i wonder why??? and a few months later she was my ex bird!!!, soulie55.... :yes::yes:blush.gif ...cum on its only a bit of fun!!!!!!!!!!!... :thumbsup::wicked::lol:

ps-still not sure on the ann perry lyrics!!!!!

Social source share

Guest vinylvixen

'I feel so good, I just moan like this'

then backing girls start 'mmmmmmmmmm' (how you spell it I've no idea)

Simon, I had to play it again to check....I still maintain she says 'I feel so good, I come on like this'......and makes a straining noise whilst saying 'come on' :thumbsup: I couldn't hear 'moan' anywhere'. And Jackie Wilson says 'whose lips are sweeter than cherry pie, softer than Grandmother's lovely thighs. Tell me, who, who, whowhowho - my sweet baby'....go and listen - the man's a pervert :wicked: Jo

Social source share

Ok whilst on the subject and people are being so helpful.....voicebox- I want it back your love :

'You say you got another man'

'between us is over and done'

What do the backing singers sing then?????????????

Cheers again.......and i wont ask any more for at least an hour lol :thumbsup:

Social source share

Simon, I had to play it again to check....I still maintain she says 'I feel so good, I come on like this'......and makes a straining noise whilst saying 'come on' :thumbsup: I couldn't hear 'moan' anywhere'. And Jackie Wilson says 'whose lips are sweeter than cherry pie, softer than Grandmother's lovely thighs. Tell me, who, who, whowhowho - my sweet baby'....go and listen - the man's a pervert :wicked: Jo

I think you could be right Joan, 'moan' might be a bit to 'risky' for a nice girly love song don't you think? You really need the record to be able to make a good guess of some lyrics and I've only got a tiny mp3 of it, so I think we should go with your interpretation.

Social source share

Guest rachel

Anyone know what the first line to Mother Fox - Fallen Into Love is?

'Woke up this morning in my ride' ?

Yes, I think so.

Social source share

Guest Karen Heath

I think so too but it sounds so wrong!

Social source share

That's what I hear too,.....the guy's woken up in his car after a party near the town....it sounds right to me Karen :(....but I am hard of hearing :)...... biggrin.gif

Edited by DelTee
Social source share

Anyone know what the The Seven Souls( I Still Love You) say after the "Sticks And Stones..." part?? The rest of the group carries on without the lead and I can't make out what they're mumbling!!

Edited by recordwanted
Social source share

Anyone know what the The Seven Souls( I Still Love You) say after the "Sticks And Stones..." part?? The rest of the group carries on without the lead and I can't make out what they're mumbling!!

"Sticks and stones may break my bones, but words will never change the way I feel about you oh yeah" "Tell my friends I ain't no good, thats alright it's understood cos I love you alright"....

Social source share

Guest vinylvixen

I think you could be right Joan, 'moan' might be a bit to 'risky' for a nice girly love song don't you think? You really need the record to be able to make a good guess of some lyrics and I've only got a tiny mp3 of it, so I think we should go with your interpretation.

She does sound quite 'involved' when she says 'moan/come on' like this....DD definately gives it 100% on the groaning front :huh::P and then right at the end she laughs and says something like 'taking care of business too'....but you can't quite make out what she says - whatever it is, it sounds saucy :( Jo

Social source share

Guest vinylvixen

I remember when we were kids thinking 'Sweeter Than The Day Before' was 'Seeea-Lions Ten Feet Tall' :huh:

Genius :P I will never sing anything else....Sea Lions Ten feet tall sounds much better anyway :( Jo

Social source share

Guest Matt Male

Ok whilst on the subject and people are being so helpful.....voicebox- I want it back your love :

'You say you got another man'

'between us is over and done'

What do the backing singers sing then?????????????

Cheers again.......and i wont ask any more for at least an hour lol :P

Not 100%, but it sounds like 'you sent for the better man' and then he sings 'me when i was the one'.

Seems to fit wit 'I wear an insane face, cos i've been replaced..' later on.

I played it so many times i probably wore a groove in the vinyl, it's not clear at all though :( Mind you i can't make out the backing singers on the second verse either. Great song though :huh:

Social source share

Hell half the funs making up your own lyrics (Ain't it?). Then when you all sing em wrong at same time you can have a big discussion as to who's right & then try to decipher real lines & words from mp3 track by replaying over & over & over again. Sounds stupid (when written like this) but it's a laugh & passes a few hours.

Spot. :huh:

Social source share

I like all different stuff - but err on the dark modern side these days. Just thinking about lyrics got me thinking of

Castle's in the sand were built by hand don't need no bricks to make em stand ........... tra la la la!

Great lyrics all the way through.

:huh:

Social source share

Thanks Matt.....but im not sure he is singing 'insane face' but a 'real sad face' thats what i hear anyway...........and i know its fun making up your own lyrics but i feel a right plonker when i sing the wrong ones and get looked at like im not the full shilling lol

Katy x

Social source share

"Sticks and stones may break my bones, but words will never change the way I feel about you oh yeah" "Tell my friends I ain't no good, thats alright it's understood cos I love you alright"....

Thanks Ian, but I need the part right after that! :rolleyes:

Social source share

Thanks Ian, but I need the part right after that! :rolleyes:

You love her, she loves you, that’s the way it’s got to be, together

When you met you both agreed that your love would always be, together

Cuz I know if you take me back

They’ll be no worries, cuz I’ll see to that

Social source share

OK, here's another! On The Primers "How Does It Grab You" what do they say after "You turn me on like a faucet, I thought we were........."?????

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!