Record Box Security

Guest Trevski

Guest Trevski

Was thinking about the issue of security for boxes when DJing the other day. I thought about chaining the box to one of the tables behind the decks, then thought "nah, silly" so reverted to the 100 count box for Jocking, easier to manage and carry around. Then at Burnley, saw someone do exactly as I had thought, and lash his box to the table with a chain. Now evereryone likes to think the scene is honest and trustworthy, but with many £1000's of pounds being in a playbox, for me, the idea of leaving it lying around is now not really an option. Could put it in the car, but you don't know who's watching either. Any suggestions?

Edited by Trevski
Social source share

• Replies 40
  • Views 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Posted Images

Was thinking about the issue of security for boxes when DJing the other day. I thought about chaining the box to one of the tables behind the decks, then thought "nah, silly" so reverted to the 100 count box for Jocking, easier to manage and carry around. Then at Burnley, saw someone do exactly as I had thought, and lash his box to the table with a chain. Now evereryone likes to think the scene is honest and trustworthy, but with many £1000's of pounds being in a playbox, for me, the idea of leaving it lying around is now not really an option. Could put it in the car, but you don't know who's watching either. Any suggestions?

I always chain my DJ box to a table or some other large object, for the very reasons you state above. Why take the risk.

Social source share

heard about Kenny Burrell chaining his box to a table ,so not silly at all.Leaving £1000's of records unattended is asking for trouble,100 box is the safe option,that and keeping the box with you. :P

Social source share

This has worried me for years Trevor... but more so recently.

Not that I'm saying my records are anything special... but they are mine and took years to collect... and at the end of the day... while practically everyone else has a better box than me... these are the only records I've got and if anything happened to them it would finish me.

I remember Kenny Burrell doing exactly what you described at a venue a few years ago.

At the time I thought it was a bit OTT... but now... I think not.

You wouldn't walk into a niter with a bag that contained thousands of pounds in cash... and then proceed to leave the bag on the stage unattended while you went off enjoying yourself would you?

Yet you do the exact same thing when you leave your record box unattended at a venue.

Scary!

Social source share

Guest Trevski

heard about Kenny Burrell chaining his box to a table ,so not silly at all.Leaving £1000's of records unattended is asking for trouble,100 box is the safe option,that and keeping the box with you. :P

Keeping 'em with you is a bind tho' isn't it? If you wanna go pee, look at records etc you have to get a mate to mind 'em, and I don't like doing that, as it restricts their movements, and if anything happened to 'em..Wouldn't like to put that on anyone! Did that last nite, and felt a twat getting 'em to mind the tunes while I went out for a smoke! Chain seems the best option after all.  :lol: Off to B&Q tomorrow... Combination padlock I recon'... imagine if you lost the key! :D

Edited by Trevski
Social source share

Have you thought about using one of those lockable straps that you secure suit cases with? They're light and adjustable lenghts

You could put around the box and table, through the handle of the box. You can't nick off with the box or open it and take records out.

Admittedly you could cut the strap, but it would be a bit suspicious and obvious the the DJ currently spinning - just don't inbibe too much & forget the number of the combination lock!

Social source share

Guest Trevski

New headache for promoters, providing a big metal'Hitching post' behind the stage, for locking boxes to, or 'DJ lockers'! :P

Social source share

Guest Bogue

Screwfix do a natty little security cable with a combination padlock for a mere tener Trevski.

They are designed for computor equipment but i reckon it would serve the purpose you want & is a little bit more low key.

It comes with two brackets that has a superglue addesive pad on the bottom, you can use these if you want but you can also just use the cable & padlock. One end of the cable has a metal eylet that threads over the u shaped arm of the padlock, the other has a solid metal cylindrical bead which does not pass through the closed u arm when it is locked, cable length is 1.5 M.

Here is the url for it on the screwfix site, i would guess you could probably get them from PC World & the like too :P

https://www.screwfix.com/app/sfd/cat/pro.js...44&id=15289#

Social source share

I think 99 times out of a 100 you'd be okay just leaving your box on the stage. But it has happened before hasn't it? People half inching records.

Trust in scene etiquette doesn't quite stretch to a seven and a half grand play box (or sim).

Edited by Ian Sims
Social source share

Guest Bogue

I think 99 times out of a 100 you'd be okay just leaving your box on the stage. But it has happened before hasn't it? People half inching records.

Trust in scene etiquette doesn't quite stretch to a seven and a half grand play box (or sim).

:P

I suppose it depends where he is playing too, i don't think it would happen at the big pro venues, but if he were doing some small soul night or something you don't really know who is coming in.

Social source share

Guest Mart B

heard about Kenny Burrell chaining his box to a table ,so not silly at all.Leaving £1000's of records unattended is asking for trouble,100 box is the safe option,that and keeping the box with you. :lol:

Play em on cd you dont have a problem then lol.When punters complain tell em you have the original at home!. :D .Wont be the first time its happened :P .

Social source share

similiar vain, I am a little worried about the temperature, a vinyl record can stand what before damage / warping ?? (sat in a case with others, of course, daft as i may seem, never leave the same one at the back), and to the previous problem, you can't beat a lock and no nails :-)

Social source share

Easily disguise your record box by placing a tesco or asda carrier bag over it.Would be scallywrongdoers will think its a bag of spuds and look elsewhere.

:lol:

Yes Kenny does chain his box up - quite sensible too IMHO.

Also keep your records away from radiators underneath windows :P

Social source share

I had a couple of records disappear out my box years ago,on stage while my box was open so keep your eyes on it at all times,I hope the b#stards fingers dropped off.

Kev :P

Social source share

Have you thought about using one of those lockable straps that you secure suit cases with? They're light and adjustable lenghts

You could put around the box and table, through the handle of the box. You can't nick off with the box or open it and take records out.

Admittedly you could cut the strap, but it would be a bit suspicious and obvious the the DJ currently spinning - just don't inbibe too much & forget the number of the combination lock!

Never really thought about this until now.As doing a bit more dj'ing albeit locally you still have people coming up to decks to see what's on.

I've got one of those security straps as needed it for siutcase when I went to States last year - easier than letting their customs break into it.

Will certainly use it now.

Dave.

Social source share

CARRYING RECORDS ABOUT IS A PAIN IN THE ARSE ,YOU ALWAYS HAVE THE WORRY ,THE IDEAL SCENARIO WOULD BE AN ELECTRIC SHOCK COUPLED WITH AN ALARM THEN WHEN THE PERPERTRATOR OPENS YOUR BOX A FIST THE SIZE OF LENNOX LEWIS BOXING GROVE WHACKS HIM/HER AND KNOCKS THEM OUT. :P

CHAINING THEM IS A GOOD IDEA ,MINE USUALLY GO BACK IN THE CAR AS SOON AS I AM FINISHED AND KEPT NEAR TO ME TILL THEN.

BAZ A.

Social source share

Guest Bearsy

Easily disguise your record box by placing a tesco or asda carrier bag over it.Would be scallywrongdoers will think its a bag of spuds and look elsewhere.

My record box is a tesco carrier bag Nick so how do you secure that then :P

Social source share

Guest Trevski

Screwfix do a natty little security cable with a combination padlock for a mere tener Trevski.

They are designed for computor equipment but i reckon it would serve the purpose you want & is a little bit more low key.

It comes with two brackets that has a superglue addesive pad on the bottom, you can use these if you want but you can also just use the cable & padlock. One end of the cable has a metal eylet that threads over the u shaped arm of the padlock, the other has a solid metal cylindrical bead which does not pass through the closed u arm when it is locked, cable length is 1.5 M.

Here is the url for it on the screwfix site, i would guess you could probably get them from PC World & the like too :P

https://www.screwfix.com/app/sfd/cat/pro.js...44&id=15289#

Like the look of that, neat and simple. Have got a screwfix superstore down the road, bit like argos, find the stuff in the cat' then they go get it! Will go have a buchers. :lol:

Edited by Trevski
Social source share

CARRYING RECORDS ABOUT IS A PAIN IN THE ARSE ,YOU ALWAYS HAVE THE WORRY ,THE IDEAL SCENARIO WOULD BE AN ELECTRIC SHOCK COUPLED WITH AN ALARM THEN WHEN THE PERPERTRATOR OPENS YOUR BOX A FIST THE SIZE OF LENNOX LEWIS BOXING GROVE WHACKS HIM/HER AND KNOCKS THEM OUT. :lol:

:D:D

Smaller more inimate venues where you know most everybody there aren't the worry so much.

It's the big venues the size of a small country where you hardly know anyone that make me feel uneasy.

If the stage can't be seen at all times I panic... it would be so easy for someone to just walk up and off they go.

Also... people coming up on stage while you're Djing is a worry too imo... while you're putting a record on... :P

Happened to Ian Cunliffe too while he was DJIng.

Social source share

Guest Trevski

This has worried me for years Trevor... but more so recently.

Not that I'm saying my records are anything special... but they are mine and took years to collect... and at the end of the day... while practically everyone else has a better box than me... these are the only records I've got and if anything happened to them it would finish me.

I remember Kenny Burrell doing exactly what you described at a venue a few years ago.

At the time I thought it was a bit OTT... but now... I think not.

You wouldn't walk into a niter with a bag that contained thousands of pounds in cash... and then proceed to leave the bag on the stage unattended while you went off enjoying yourself would you?

Yet you do the exact same thing when you leave your record box unattended at a venue.

Scary!

Don't be so self-effacing Joanie! You have some great stuff in there! Actually, just as a matter of interest, I flicked thru' the box I took to Burnley.  About a dozen under £100 tunes, about the same in the 3/4/£500 range, the rest in the 150/£200 range. At a rough average then of £200 per tune, thats £200x 100 tunes=£20,000! :P All in a neat, easily portable box, and I am a f***ing no-body! Scary to thing what the 'big boys' have laying around! Time for all jocks, established or otherwise, to get serious methinks. As I said earlier, would like to think the scene is basicaly honest, but there are a lot of characters around these days that Ihave never seen before. You simply cannot afford for your box to go walkies!

Edited by Trevski
Social source share

Don't be so self-effacing Joanie! You have some great stuff in there! Actually, just as a matter of interest, I flicked thru' the box I took to Burnley.  About a dozen under £100 tunes, about the same in the 3/4/£500 range, the rest in the 150/£200 range. At a rough average then of £200 per tune, thats £200x 100 tunes=£20,000! :P All in a neat, easily portable box, and I am a F***ing no-body! Scary to thing what the 'big boys' have laying around! Time for all jocks, established or otherwise, to get serious methinks. As I said earlier, would like to think the scene is basicaly honest, but there are a lot of characters around these days that Ihave never seen before. You simply cannot afford for your box to go walkies!

Thanks Trev... but you haven't seen my records... ex or mint condition most of them ain't!

I'm a bit like the RSPCA... but for records... I take in all the waifs and strays... orphan and abandoned record's nobody else wants.

Rare Soul in Poor Condition Association! :lol:

Social source share

Like the look of that, neat and simple. Have got a screwfix superstore down the road, bit like argos, find the stuff in the cat' then they go get it! Will go have a buchers. :P

This is the cable I've been using for the last eight years, and I don't lock them up on the stage, they stay with me before I DJ, and come back with me when I've finished DJing.

post-1175-1185710317_thumb.jpg

Social source share

This is the cable I've been using for the last eight years, and I don't lock them up on the stage, they stay with me before I DJ, and come back with me when I've finished DJing.

That's all well and good when you stay in the same place all night Dave.

But not so good when you're partial to the odd dance or two!

Social source share

:thumbsup:

Think I've cracked it actually.

000479_full.jpg

Easy get a half hour - 40 min spot under there! :wicked:

Social source share

similiar vain, I am a little worried about the temperature, a vinyl record can stand what before damage / warping ?? (sat in a case with others, of course, daft as i may seem, never leave the same one at the back),

Good point!

I'll never forget DJing somewhere and putting my records behind the decks as you do... not realising the lights nearby were giving out more heat than the sun!

When I went to pick up my box... it burnt my hand... I had a massive blister in seconds!

Luckily for me I had just that week got a brand new box which was really well padded all the way round inside.

The box was that hot... if it hadn't been for the padding... they would have melted for sure.

Social source share

Guest Trevski

Just got a similar one from Blacks camping and outdoor store. Kryptonite, steel cable, plastic covered, 1mtr length.Only £2:99. Very strong but light, with a loop either end. Can pass one loop thru' the other,like a lasso, round a table or such, the other loop thru' the box handle and onto the same lock you use for the lid. Sorted :thumbsup:  And being kryptonite, even Superman couldn't nick it!  :wicked:

post-1355-1185731778_thumb.jpg

Edited by Trevski
Social source share

Thats a big wallet Dave, or is it your beer money :thumbsup:

Kev

Edited by good angel
Social source share

Here's a great idea...

Use those red die devices that are used in banks and security vehicles. If anyone steals your box they will be covered in red die when they try to open it!

But if you ever get your valuable records back, they'll be totally ruined.

Paul Mooney

Security consultant to the DJ industry

Social source share

CARRYING RECORDS ABOUT IS A PAIN IN THE ARSE ,YOU ALWAYS HAVE THE WORRY ,THE IDEAL SCENARIO WOULD BE AN ELECTRIC SHOCK COUPLED WITH AN ALARM THEN WHEN THE PERPERTRATOR OPENS YOUR BOX A FIST THE SIZE OF LENNOX LEWIS BOXING GROVE WHACKS HIM/HER AND KNOCKS THEM OUT. :wicked:

CHAINING THEM IS A GOOD IDEA ,MINE USUALLY GO BACK IN THE CAR AS SOON AS I AM FINISHED AND KEPT NEAR TO ME TILL THEN.

BAZ A.

BAZ MATE

WHAT KIND OF MOTOR ARE YOU DRIVING AT THE MOMENT :yes:

YOU MIGHT ALSO HAVE TO CHAIN THE CAR TO SOMETHING INCASE SOMEONE NICKS THAT AS WELL.

IM THINKING OF TAKING PHOTOS OF ME WITH EACH INDIVIDUAL RECORD IN MY HAND AS PROOF I DO OWN EM AND THEN GETTING ALL MY RECORDS PUT ON VINYL CARVER LP'S AND PLAYING THEM INSTEAD .THIS WILL MEAN I CAN LEAVE THE TREASURE AT HOME IN THE VAULT! :lol:

SORRY TO MAKE LIGHT GUYS ,SAD TIMES WE LIVE IN I SUPPOSE!

Nev :thumbsup:

P.s interesting subject matter that has probably crossed most peoples minds i reckon.

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!