Guest Matt Male

• Replies 15
  • Views 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Guest Matt Male

Yes it is on Gatur ,the flip side to the rare release of " First taste of hurt ".I sold one for about £400 a few years back , I bet it's a lot more now .Best ,Eddie

Thanks both. That's good news.

There's a 'First Taste of Hurt' on ebay at the minute, but the flip is 'Funky Funky Twist'. I know 'First Taste of Hurt' usually goes for around £100 just for that side, combined with 'I'm Having So Much Fun' that's a brilliant double sider :P

I was considering bidding on FToH but now i'll save my money until i can get both.

Better start saving... or selling i suppose :lol:

Social source share

There's a 'First Taste of Hurt' on ebay at the minute, but the flip is 'Funky Funky Twist'. I know 'First Taste of Hurt' usually goes for around £100 just for that side, combined with 'I'm Having So Much Fun' that's a brilliant double sider :D

I was considering bidding on FToH but now i'll save my money until i can get both.

Keep in mind that the "blue label" copies with "I'm Having So Much Fun" on the flipside includes a DIFFERENT version of "First Taste Of Hurt" which has got a piano playing in the background and in my opinion inferior vocals.

The easier to find "green label" copies with "Funky Funky Twist" on the flipside has got the "usual" version of "First Taste Of Hurt" with organ playing in the background.

Have a listen below.

BLUE LABEL:

https://www.shingaling.com/WillieTee-FirstT...fHurt-PIANO.mp3

GREEN LABEL:

https://www.shingaling.com/WillieTee-FirstT...fHurt-ORGAN.mp3

By the way, I've heard rumours that the "green label" copy was issued twice with different flipsides. Is there any truth to that or have they confused it with the "blue label" issue? :lol:

Edited by Sebastian
Social source share

Keep in mind that the "blue label" copies with "I'm Having So Much Fun" on the flipside includes a DIFFERENT version of "First Taste Of Hurt" which has got a piano playing in the background and in my opinion inferior vocals.

The easier to find "green label" copies with "Funky Funky Twist" on the flipside has got the "usual" version of "First Taste Of Hurt" with organ playing in the background.

Have a listen below.

BLUE LABEL:

https://www.shingaling.com/WillieTee-FirstT...fHurt-PIANO.mp3

GREEN LABEL:

https://www.shingaling.com/WillieTee-FirstT...fHurt-ORGAN.mp3

By the way, I've heard rumours that the "green label" copy was issued twice with different flipsides. Is there any truth to that or have they confused it with the "blue label" issue? :D

your right, the Green issue has two flips, Funky twist and Having so much fun. I only heard that alt version(blue version) recently, initially it bowled me over but i reckon the better known has the better vocal... this is that Ed Summers / Joe Anderson problem, ideally you have em both!!

M

Edited by Mal.C.
Social source share

The blue label copy, i.e the piano version, only came out with Funky Funky Twist on the other side, surely. There are two green issues: the plain green label with the usual version of FTOH, backed with Funky Funky Twist; and the far rarer issue on a slightly lighter green label with two black lines and I'm Having So Much Fun on the flip. I think the valuation of £700 for this particular issue is conservative these days and wouldn't be surprised if a copy were to be auctioned for in excess of £1000.

Social source share

The blue label copy, i.e the piano version, only came out with Funky Funky Twist on the other side, surely. There are two green issues: the plain green label with the usual version of FTOH, backed with Funky Funky Twist; and the far rarer issue on a slightly lighter green label with two black lines and I'm Having So Much Fun on the flip.

There you go! It was me who was confused all along. wacko.gif

At least I got the piano/organ blue/green label variations right and provided sound clips of them... :D

Social source share

Guest TONY ROUNCE

Or is there a CD which gathers up Willie Tee's tracks?

There was a CD a couple of years back, supposedly licensed from Willie, on Night Train International - and it's dubbed from the scratchiest and most worn records you could ever not wish to hear. Frankly the quality is so bad that you're better off not owning it. Even the dubs of 'common' things like "Teasin' You" and "...One Way Street" are abominable...

...thought I'd mention it anyway, since you asked...

Edited by TONY ROUNCE
Social source share

The Night Train lp raises a question I've never seen adequately answered. The cover artwork features a 45 on Bonatemp called "You Gotta Pay Some Dues": a great fingersnapper which I've never seen in the flesh. Is this a real record? I've asked Aaron Fuchs about it, but he was evasive. Anyone ever seen one? Collecting Willie Tee records can be a minefield as we've seen from this topic!

Social source share

The blue label copy, i.e the piano version, only came out with Funky Funky Twist on the other side, surely. There are two green issues: the plain green label with the usual version of FTOH, backed with Funky Funky Twist; and the far rarer issue on a slightly lighter green label with two black lines and I'm Having So Much Fun on the flip. I think the valuation of £700 for this particular issue is conservative these days and wouldn't be surprised if a copy were to be auctioned for in excess of £1000.

Wow, I'm glad I paid £40 quid for it way back when.. this title in its two green guises always seemed cheap to me in the late 8ts early 9ts, but then record pricing now can be likened to Boris Johnson's campaign for major!!CRAZY!!!

M

Social source share

Guest TONY ROUNCE

The Night Train lp raises a question I've never seen adequately answered. The cover artwork features a 45 on Bonatemp called "You Gotta Pay Some Dues": a great fingersnapper which I've never seen in the flesh. Is this a real record? I've asked Aaron Fuchs about it, but he was evasive. Anyone ever seen one? Collecting Willie Tee records can be a minefield as we've seen from this topic!

Apparently it's real enough. There are three singles on Bonatemp (unless anyone knows of more) - this one, on a # 400 series (# 401 c/w "Ain't That True Baby") and at least two in an 800 series. I can't trace 801 (perhaps it's actually 401 in disguise!), but 802 is Billy Tircuit's "I Confess" and 803, "Must Be Love"/"Make Up Your Mind" is apparently by 'Bonatemp' too. I've never heard this, but I'm sure that someone on here will know it and be able to confirm that.

Edited by TONY ROUNCE
Social source share

Yep, these are the three versions :D

I love both versions of FTOH but especially the Blue lable version as it reminds me of Eddie Foster on the intro :lol:

IHSMF is a desert island disc for me!

Cheers

Steve

ps Anyone got a copy of 'I peeped your hole card' on Gatur please?

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!