Garnett Mimms

Guest Bearsy

Guest Bearsy

Was this ever released on 7" or is it just an album release, if so any info will be appreciated on price availability etc.

Bearsy

Social source share

• Replies 21
  • Views 3.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Guest SteveSnow

1967, his last 45 release (?) for UA in the UK

listed at £20 in the 2007 RRPG.....not that that means anything of course.......... :thumbsup:

Social source share

Guest Matt Male

Good tune, but it sounds like it'd be awkward to dance to. Not sure if i've ever heard it played out anywhere (not that that means anything) is it more of an armchair sound? :wicked:

Also available on the Stateside album 'Warm and Soulful, the Best of Garnett Mimms'.

1000 posts :thumbsup:

Social source share

Guest NASHEE

Good tune, but it sounds like it'd be awkward to dance to. Not sure if i've ever heard it played out anywhere (not that that means anything) is it more of an armchair sound? :wicked:

Also available on the Stateside album 'Warm and Soulful, the Best of Garnett Mimms'.

1000 posts :thumbsup:

I've had the 45 for many years...I love it....but I think it's always been more of a tape swappers thing

Social source share

Was this ever released on 7" or is it just an album release, if so any info will be appreciated on price availability etc.

Bearsy

i seem to think that the 45 was a different mix to the lp version.

wasn't the 45 a live version or a slower mix .

Social source share

Guest NASHEE

i seem to think that the 45 was a different mix to the lp version.

wasn't the 45 a live version or a slower mix .

I'm pretty sure your'e right....when I brought the single, I remember thinking it was quite different than the song I had on tape...I guess that was the LP version

Social source share

I'm pretty sure your'e right....when I brought the single, I remember thinking it was quite different than the song I had on tape...I guess that was the LP version

The UK release 45 was a live version, recorded over here with backing by "the Senate" who were a UK outfit, featuring Robbie Mclntosh on drums who went on to join "the avarge white band" band if my memorie serves, sold mine years ago.....and wish I hadn't as usual. Great Sound :( I believe the 45 was taken from a Live UK only LP, but I have never seen that one? Anyone ? I Still own the "Cry Baby" and "I'll take good care of you" LPs A fantastic Singer IMO

Edited by mossy
Social source share

Guest TONY ROUNCE

The UK release 45 was a live version, recorded over here with backing by "the Senate" who were a UK outfit, featuring Robbie Mclntosh on drums who went on to join "the avarge white band" band if my memorie serves, sold mine years ago.....and wish I hadn't as usual. Great Sound :( I believe the 45 was taken from a Live UK only LP, but I have never seen that one?

Yes, "Garnet Mimms Live" was a UK only album release. Not too highly regarded at the time, but of course now it's a valuable documentation of a great soul singer, performing in front of an audience at something like his peak. I have been gently twisting EMI's reissue department's arm about a CD release for quite some time, so keep your fingers crossed that something might happen...

It's a measure of how popular Garnet was here that someone at UA thought that a live LP was worth a punt. Especially when you think how many much bigger US names were never recorded live, at their peak, by their resepective record companies - Bobby Bland and Joe Tex being two that immediately spring to mind.

The studio version was never on single, anywhere in the world, to the best of my knowledge.

Social source share

"As Long As I Have You" is on his "Live" lp Garnett Mimms backed by Scotish beat band The Senate. Recorded live at Sussex University and Club A Go Go during his short UK tour in 1967.

He also had a 1964 United Artists USA UAS6396 LP release entitled "As Long As I Have You" which must surely have a studio version on:

Cause it's 3 years before the UK live one.

Not got a copy to check..has anyone?

Social source share

Guest TONY ROUNCE

Forgot to mention earlier that the studio cut of "As Long As I Have You" will be appearing, later this year, on a Kent CD that Mick Patrick and I have put together to celebrate the long and brilliant career of Jerry Ragovoy.

No firm release date yet, probably around November or possibly even early next year. But it'll be packed with rarities and goodies and will be well worth waiting for...

Social source share

Yes, "Garnet Mimms Live" was a UK only album release. Not too highly regarded at the time, but of course now it's a valuable documentation of a great soul singer, performing in front of an audience at something like his peak. I have been gently twisting EMI's reissue department's arm about a CD release for quite some time, so keep your fingers crossed that something might happen...

It's a measure of how popular Garnet was here that someone at UA thought that a live LP was worth a punt. Especially when you think how many much bigger US names were never recorded live, at their peak, by their resepective record companies - Bobby Bland and Joe Tex being two that immediately spring to mind.

The studio version was never on single, anywhere in the world, to the best of my knowledge.

As a matter of interest Tone, and without doing a google search, I am sure that Joe Tex had a Dial/Atlantic released LP called "Live and Lively ", '68/69-ish , yes ?

Social source share

Guest TONY ROUNCE

As a matter of interest Tone, and without doing a google search, I am sure that Joe Tex had a Dial/Atlantic released LP called "Live and Lively ", '68/69-ish , yes ?

Indeed he did - but I am pretty certain, although it's been some years since I've played it, that it features mainly (if not exclusively) studio recordings with a fake audience dubbed on. A trait common to quite a few 'live' albums of the era.

Truthfully, I think of Joe's 'peak' being 1965-66, so I had discounted that one. However, I'll give it a spin tonight and report back tomorrow. Of course, many artists for whom there is no live record ing, from their peak years, did eventually make very good live albums (e.g. Otis Clay, O.V. Wright et al). But how much nicer would it have been to have 'Live in 1965' sets from those guys and their ilk, eh?

Social source share

Keep twisting....or even breaking arms ! Do you know if the Senate ever released/recorded any of their own stuff?

The Senate provided BEN E KING with their backing for his 67? UK tour didn't they Tony?

Was part of that tour ever recorded? Qustions.......................Questions :huh:

Edited by mossy
Social source share

Guest TONY ROUNCE

having listened to it all the way through this morning, for the first time in about 35 years, I can now confirm that "Live & Lively" was, as I'd previously speculated, a collection of studio recordings with 'canned' applause dubbed in between tracks...

Social source share

Guest Ivor Jones

LP and 45 (UNITED ARTISTS 1186).

IM PRETTY SURE THAT "AS LONG AS I HAVE YOU" WAS A UK ONLY SINGLE[AND ITS DEFINATELY THE "LIVE" VERSION]. YOU NEED THE LP FOR THE SUPERIOR STUDIO VERSION.......... FANTASTIC RECORD FROM MY FAVOURITE EVER SINGER............

WE`RE NOT WORTHY..............!!!!!! :(

GARNET WHERE ARE YOU NOW, WE NEED YOU.......

IVOR

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!