When Was Your Last Nighter

• Replies 39
  • Views 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Posted Images

Keele 8 years ago, miss em like mad but have learnt to live without them.

Question to those that HAVE to do em,why do you need em? :rolleyes:

Good question. I haven't been out this weekend at all because my wife isn't very well, and I'm already looking forward to next weekend. Why ?

Because I love the music, the atmosphere, the people, the social life, the records, the beer, the DJing, the journey with friends, all sorts of reasons....

Social source share

Guest Bearsy

the last 100 club,

I dont have to do them but i do enjoy them and for all the same reasons Dave has used.

Staying indoors listening to your ipod just aint got the same appeal :rolleyes:

Social source share

When you compare the energy and atmosphere at a nighter soul nights dont even come close, of course the music in general is more of an uptempo almost raw fair too :rolleyes: of course there are soul nights like this and nighters that are oldie orientated so im generlising a bit.

Last one was sat all though i only lasted till about half 4 and that was a funk nighter, so technicly it was Middleton

Social source share

Not been to an allnighter for ages must over twelve months can't even remember where it was possibly Mace's do in Stoke, Winsford or Lea Manor can't remember getting old lol i don't need the allnighters to enjoy the music as i can do that at home, at parties, soul nights, through the radio show etc. my passion for collecting is stronger than it's ever been but don't need to stay up allnight too often anymore, respect to those who do but there is more to the soul scene than allnighters. I think the only thing you miss is the cutting edge music at some venues.

Regards - Mark Bicknell.

Edited by Mark Bicknell
Social source share

Question to those that HAVE to do em,why do you need em? wink.gif

Wilton n 100 club same weekend - cause I'm only 18 (in the mind) n absolutely mad :rolleyes:

I don't have to do niters but I want to - mainly cause I start coming to life at btwn 1 and 2am... Love soul nites just as much but when its a great nite I want to keep going til morning.... just can't help it... niters offer time for chatting, dancing, leaving conversations mid sentence to dance then back to finish off n apologise to whoever you talking to, sat taking in the atmosphere n watching others dancing then back to the dance floor again.... need a niter to fit it all in.. then of course that great feeling when you walk outside n everyones just getting up n you've not been to bed... :D

Karen

Social source share

I used to do all-niters regularly until my divorce in 2001, when I lost heart for a spell ...............I've now moved on somewhat and am enjoying myself more than ever. Whilst I've enjoyed most niters attended, I must say that Burnley has reinstated the real buzz and enthusiasm back into my life both musically and socially.....long may it continue to do so yes.gif:rolleyes: wilxy

Social source share

==========

paul

allniters (for me) just have that extra something normal soul nites dont give you....

i try and enjoy every niter i attend and im not disappointed by many

although i dont get to many as id like ..i make the most of them and have a ball

wolvo and middleton niters have been brill this year...

long may it continue!

Social source share

Guest gordon russell

because PAUL its a differant crowd,for a start they don't all stand around looking bored and f88k off after an hour like they do at local do's in the main. ....the music quality is much much better as long as you stay away from bloody oldies do's, we don't drive three hours to BURNLEY for nothing or hour an a half to LIFELINE. when you have a whole night of BUTCH, KITCH ,MICK H, ARTHUR FENN and the ever youthful SOUL SAM + th BURNLEY LADS all playing f88king top tuneage that you just ain't gonna get locally. You were at the DKOF when KITCH played there how many of those blinding tunes did you know, well imagine a whole night of it and they're always full of old people like me hav'in a great time.....answer your question? you ought to know the reason

Social source share

Guest Matt Male

Middleton two weeks ago was my last one, Marrs Bar next Saturday is my next one. I love nighters, they are (as has already been said) totally different to soul nights. Soul nights are chatting with mates, beer and standing about listening as much as anything else. Niters are dancing, record bars, people from all over the country to catch up with. I like soul nights but i love dancing so it's niters for me everytime.

Next Saturday i get to experience two brilliant examples of both in one night, Nuneaton Co-op until 2am and then down to Worcester for the Marrs Bar.

Social source share

Can't really remember what my last one was. Probably a Sheridans do in 2002 or 2003.

I missed 'em like crazy for a while, but not any longer. I now can't see any circumstances that would ever tempt me to go to one again.

I don't even really go to soul nights any more, probably been to 3 in the last 4 years or so.

I still listen to the music as much as ever though.

Phil

Social source share

Last weekend Saturday Stoke, stayed until 06.00am. I'm not sure I could explain why, I just love going.

Be back in October.

Chris L

Social source share

Far to long ago :lol::lol: [ health reasons] but i shall be back out & about very soon & NOTHING beats a niter.

Music , people, atmosphere & i actually like traveling to venues. Stopping at the offy on route & having a few cold one`s [ reccomended if Kenny`s driving :rolleyes: ] & the anticipation of what is about to come.

Nitertastic me old soul matey :D

Social source share

Stopping at the offy on route & having a few cold one`s [ reccomended if Kenny`s driving :lol: ]

Ask him about the trip back from Middleton a few weeks ago, you needed more than a stiff drink :D

Be good to see you out and about again soon Garv its been far too long :rolleyes:

Social source share

Not been to an allnighter for ages must over twelve months can't even remember where it was possibly Mace's do in Stoke, Winsford or Lea Manor can't remember getting old lol i don't need the allnighters to enjoy the music as i can do that at home, at parties, soul nights, through the radio show etc. my passion for collecting is stronger than it's ever been but don't need to stay up allnight too often anymore, respect to those who do but there is more to the soul scene than allnighters. I think the only thing you miss is the cutting edge music at some venues.

Regards - Mark Bicknell.

erm.....Lifeline,March,ring any bells.OK we got there about 1.00 and left about 6.00,but that counts doesn't it Mark. :huh:

Social source share

erm.....Lifeline,March,ring any bells.OK we got there about 1.00 and left about 6.00,but that counts doesn't it Mark. :huh:

Sorry Kev i forgot that one, don't forget i was poorly sick lol, brilliant music at Lifeline though. i think i must have been thinking the last time i DJ'd at an allnighter rather than going to one...lol still few and far between for me these days.

Regards - Mark Bicknell.

Social source share

Ask him about the trip back from Middleton a few weeks ago, you needed more than a stiff drink :wub:

Be good to see you out and about again soon Garv its been far too long :huh:

cheers Baz :wub:

Just awaiting the "on yer marks" from the quack & i`ll be doing my Jessie Owens impression to the nearest niter

Social source share

Regards - Mark Bicknell.

mark i thought i saw u at life line a few months ago.

Billy

Social source share

Ask him about the trip back from Middleton a few weeks ago, you needed more than a stiff drink :(

Be good to see you out and about again soon Garv its been far too long :lol:

Maybe i might drive you an Garv together,some where soon.......... :lol:

Social source share

• 3 weeks later...
Guest NASHEE

Question to those that HAVE to do em,why do you need em? :(

Last week @ Aquarius

Why I chose to....Travell miles to stay up all night

I like to talk shite...while listening to great music

smoke in the rain...while listening to great music

drink huge ammounts of alcohol..while listening to great music...

bore others shitless and watch them slink away..while great music is playing in the background.

Stay awake all night...while listening to great music.

next week.

Monday...numb

Tuesday...asleep

Wednesday..miserable as shit

Thursday..As normal as is possible for me

Friday..deleriously happy..sorting playbox out for.........

Hideaway...Saturday.

Sheffield ....Sunday.

Luv it, I do

Social source share

do weekenders count? If they do, it was madrid in may. up all night friday, a superb boozy lunch saturday followed by a well-earned siesta & then up all night again. I don't actually 'need' them. I choose to go. it's a social thing I guess; meeting new people, hooking up with old friends, talking records, hearing new stuff. all kinds of reasons really. my next all-nighter will be valencia in october, which promises to be a cracking event. the home of the paella & quality rare soul. what a wonderful combination! I also did the luanco S.O.U.L. weekender in march, with soul sam & steveG behind the decks. that was a memorable weekend in all senses of the word. I don't do many, it's more quality than quantity in my case. you should check one out paul, you know it's in your blood mate. :(

cheers,

M

Social source share

My last nighter was at the Cleethorpes weekender, only done a couple of soul nights since then, must say this year has been very baron soulwise for me, what with work and family commitments, ime begining to miss to many, and ime affraid it will become the norm. having a non soul loving wife dosnt help. things should get better after September so at least I can see light at the end of the tunnel :huh:

Social source share

Guest Tim aka Bob

Question to those that HAVE to do em,why do you need em? :lol:

Just done 5 niters on the spin....Middleton, Kings Hall, Junction 11, Marrs Bar and Aquarius. All very different but very special nites. The only place to listen to uptempo soul is the dance floor for me!!! :huh:

Social source share

Just done 5 niters on the spin....Middleton, Kings Hall, Junction 11, Marrs Bar and Aquarius. All very different but very special nites. The only place to listen to uptempo soul is the dance floor for me!!! thumbsup.gif

YOU ARE COMPLETELY RIGHT!

i've just done the rocket, wolves, Marrs Bar and Aquarius (as tim aka bob will know :) ), i then had a near physical breakdown as i cant give up the running club/yoga classes mid-week, so slept all weekend and now i'm recovered and ready for the 4 hour drive to Burnley this Friday :D !!

for me, i have always loved to go out and dance so descovering nighters has been the best thing to happen to me EVER (!!!) 7 hours of dancing :P . they are completely addictive...that feeling when you are on the dancefloor physically exhausted at 4am and that song comes on, it's euphoric :P and that's what keeps me coming back week after week.

plus there are wonderful people out there from all over the country who i'd never have met otherwise. i honestly dont know why more people of my age arnt getting into it....?

Social source share

[Keele 8 years ago, miss em like mad but have learnt to live without them.

Question to those that HAVE to do em,why do you need em? wink.gif

----------

My last proper nighter was Prestatyn the year our Brendan was concieved lol. took the kids back there after he was born but bailed out early so Meg could go to bed - still at least i managed to stay a lot later than my other half who had to stay in chalet and look after the baby lol. question is will I ever do another one? Probably not - an awful lot of people lately have suggested that we go to nighters but only treat them a 'soul nights' and come home about 2am (people that were hardend Nighter peeps) are we all getting a little more sensible in our old age???

Social source share

Just how many all-niters are out there ? I can think of 5............

Friday Niters

The Wilton

Burnley

Saturday Niters

100 Club

Jacks

Jacks R & B

The Marrs Bar

Middleton

The Aquarius

Winsford

Keele University

Venues that have had at least one allnighter this year

Bury Town Hall

Rugby Soul Club

There's a round dozen for you Chris without even thinking hard about it. Apologies to those I've missed because there will be loads.

Social source share

Guest NASHEE

My last nighter was at the Cleethorpes weekender, only done a couple of soul nights since then, must say this year has been very baron soulwise for me, what with work and family commitments, ime begining to miss to many, and ime affraid it will become the norm. having a non soul loving wife dosnt help. things should get better after September so at least I can see light at the end of the tunnel :rolleyes:

Miff...Sunday morning..get up..make breakfast..tell wifey you love her more than anything in the whole world...slip out of the house unseen ...drive to Sheffield..Have a ball...telephone worried wife mid day and tell her you have been kidnapped by aliens...but they've promised to return you in the early hours of Monday morning..I'm sure she'll understand..ha ha ha not laugh.gif

Social source share

Last niter for me was Middleton a few months ago. I have to know that I've got somebody to look after the babies for a full day afterwards or I just can't enjoy myself. Although I'm not that crazy about all niters if I'm honest, I do enjoy them occasionally....I like a bit of choice though, can't stand too much out of tune up tempo sixties so I prefer Lifeline or Middleton. Used to really enjoy the lifeline all niters at Sheridans but don't get to them these days as they're too annoying to get to...tend to avoid anything in the east mids/notts area as have had bad experiences getting to events in those parts on more than one occasion!! Mention the A1 and I go slightly off colour huh.gif

Middleton is perfect as it's nearby so no ghastly drive home :rolleyes: I once had a memorable trip home from the 100 club with a driver who could be best described as breathing....I hadn't got the cash to get home any other way...I only just lived to tell the tale sad.gif

Social source share

I'm so out of step with allnighters these days they are just something I don't do much anymore, if you stay away from them for any length of time it becomes the norm not to go, I enjoy them when I do go every so often and still like to play a few tunes when asked but the less you go it becomes less important, as for not still being able to enjoy the music outside of the allnighter situation I think is nonsense as my desire for the records, collecting etc. is still ever strong and is something I can still do without staying up allnight to enjoy,will still go to the odd one now and again but far less than I once did.

Regards - Mark Bicknell.

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!