soul auctionsTap here for 24hr ebay Lists  Sign in to Switch Ebay Lists OFF 
  • Replies 49
  • Views 5.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Posted Images

Looking for a decent copy of this please, doesn't need to be mint, as long as it plays fine.

A Demo would be nicer tongue.gif:lol:

Cheers, Ian.

Watch out for poor quality pressings of this 45.

Almost every copy I've had has a 'needle burn' type sound on the intro.

Price has escalated in the past couple of years.

Was number one sound in the country for a few weeks, early 80's and still sounds great after all these years.

Don't think I've ever seen a Demo though.

Do they exist?

Social source share

Was number one sound in the country for a few weeks, early 80's and still sounds great after all these years.

Do they exist?

Too right Sean , Ive cracked two copies over the years , I just wish it was on 12'' vinyl smile.gif

Social source share

Guest PayneyJnr

Great sound, I have it on some spurious white label collection with Man of Value on it too, stuff like that.

But then I don't collect this stuff, I'm sure that is roughly equivalent to having it on a BASF 120 to you boys.

Social source share

which LP ?

Otis Clay -

'The Only Way Is Up' on the cover

'Check It Out' on the label

Label is' Blues R&B'

The only way is up

I'm gonna hate myself in the morning

Victim of cirmcustance

All I need is you

Messin' with my mind

Special kind of love

If I could open up my heart

Turn back the hands of time

Check it out

Cheatin' in the next room

Social source share

on ebay now

Item number: 150147004340

NORTHERN/MODERN SOUL-THE ONLY WAY IS UP-OTIS CLAYs.gif

should be about £40 in that condition,

recently sold mine as i got sick of it cos the wife liked it and it reminded her of when we first got together and Yazz was no-1 in the charts with her shite version :lol:

Hey Bearsy

Your link is firing blanks - it pops up and says "Page not responding" - do you have that sort of problem in your private life? :D

whistling.gif

Social source share

The LP was originally released on Japanese Victor then repressed on Blues R & B.

Otis Clay -

'The Only Way Is Up' on the cover

'Check It Out' on the label

Label is' Blues R&B'

The only way is up

I'm gonna hate myself in the morning

Victim of cirmcustance

All I need is you

Messin' with my mind

Special kind of love

If I could open up my heart

Turn back the hands of time

Check it out

Cheatin' in the next room

Social source share

I think it's actually called WFON FM - All Night Long - it is a cracking album - but it is dodgy!

:D

That's the monkey - w/label, terrible sleeve, 'bout a £10 spot when it came out ('82/83) or am I dreaming? but worth every bean.

Doug Parkinson, The Pages, Roy Dawson on the Modern side too.

Edited by Barry
Social source share

Yes it does.

And yes Barry - some of the toons were still covered up.

Track listing (on cover):

Willie G & the Styles – No second chance (Deadbeats)

Bobby Jason – All these things (William Powell)

James Lewis – That’s the way (The Q)

Professionals - That's why

Court Davis – The lover who loves you not (Try to think what you're doing)

Seven Souls - I still

John & Weirdest – Memories

Ty Karim - Lighten up

Cheryl Berdell

Doug Parkinson

Jan Jones

Charles Johnson

Tyrone Barkley

Otis Clay

James Mack - Over the top (Roy Dawson)

Edited by Simon T
Social source share

Willie G & the Styles - No second chance (Deadbeats)

Bobby Jason - All these things (William Powell)

James Lewis - That's the way (The Q)

Court Davis - The lover who loves you not (Try to think what you're doing)

Seven Souls - I still

John & Weirdest - Memories

Ty Karim - Lighten up

Cheryl Berdell

Doug Parkinson

Jan Jones

Charles Johnson

Tyrone Barkley

Otis Clay

James Mack - Over the top (Roy Dawson)

Cheers, headache over.

Social source share

Willie G & the Styles – No second chance (Deadbeats)

Bobby Jason – All these things (William Powell)

James Lewis – That’s the way (The Q)

Court Davis – The lover who loves you not (Try to think what you're doing)

Seven Souls - I still

John & Weirdest – Memories

Ty Karim - Lighten up

Cheryl Berdell

Doug Parkinson

Jan Jones

Charles Johnson

Tyrone Barkley

Otis Clay

Ian (BarrowbySoul)

If you're not bothered about the format & authenticity of the Otis Clay, you may want to go for the bootleg album. However, the quality is not good and the Otis Clay must have been lifted off a well played 7" as it has cue burn and noise on the track! Although, if you go for a good copy 7" on Echo, it will probably cut up too after a few plays.

Social source share

Ian (BarrowbySoul)

If you're not bothered about the format & authenticity of the Otis Clay, you may want to go for the bootleg album. However, the quality is not good and the Otis Clay must have been lifted off a well played 7" as it has cue burn and noise on the track! Although, if you go for a good copy 7" on Echo, it will probably cut up too after a few plays.

Simon

Any idea what the bootleg album is worth then? £20 - £30?

Social source share

Guest Bearsy

Hey Bearsy

Your link is firing blanks - it pops up and says "Page not responding" - do you have that sort of problem in your private life? laugh.gif

yes im firing blanks nowadays Peter :glare: as for it popping up it had no problem last night on the mens art thread :lol:

Sorry about the link im useless at things like that :lol: the item number is there though you lazy git tongue.gif

Social source share

Do they exist?

Agree Sean - most copies seem to have some sort of needle burn on them in the main (although I personally have a clean one :D )

I actually have two copies for sale - One with less than a second of needle burn on the intro then plays great and one that plays a bit hissy all thru ALTHOUGH the wonderful dancer on the B side (Special Kind of love) doesn't suffer at all on either copy!!! In fact to me, this is the side for today's scene imvho!

Please PM me if anyone's interested

Cheers

Steve

Social source share

yes im firing blanks nowadays Peter :glare: as for it popping up it had no problem last night on the mens art thread ohmy.gif

Sorry about the link im useless at things like that :lol: the item number is there though you lazy git :P

Hi Bearsy

Where you been all day? You haven't been off that sofa have you - steady young man you'll get a nose bleed! laugh.gif

Yes I'm a lazy ne'r do well mate. :P

I'm off to see the mighty reds slaughter some sheep tonight. :lol:

Have you heard about all the trouble at the county game last night? Unheard of - but quite funny. :D

Social source share

Agree Sean - most copies seem to have some sort of needle burn on them in the main (although I personally have a clean one :lol: )

I actually have two copies for sale - One with less than a second of needle burn on the intro then plays great and one that plays a bit hissy all thru ALTHOUGH the wonderful dancer on the B side (Special Kind of love) doesn't suffer at all on either copy!!! In fact to me, this is the side for today's scene imvho!

Yup, I got a clean one too Steve.

S'lovely!

Agree "Special Kind Of Love" is a top side.

I used to play it out on UK President when first out (mid 70's), but also revived it at Clifton Hall on the back of the success of "The Only Way Is Up".

Come to think of it, Pat Brady played it on at least one occasion too!

A QUALITY item!

:(

Sean

Social source share

Guest woolie mark

Iif you go for a good copy 7" on Echo, it will probably cut up too after a few plays.

i've still got my copy i bought as a new release - no cue burn/hiss, and it's been played many, many times over the years

i think that there must have been a repress with defective plates at some time

anyway, because it's near impossible to get a decent quality original (the jap album was a kinda compilation that came out a while after the us 7", so it's not in any sense an "original") and i reckon this is gonna get popular again one day and the flip is a cracker.........i would want silly money to part with it

i'm sure i remember the jap album had another really excellent mid-tempo modern track on it though btw

:lol:

Social source share

Guest woolie mark

Are you thinking of "Messing With My Mind" as later recorded by Clarence Carter?

IIRC Otis's version also got a 45 release on Echo.

no, i don't think so, think it was something less "southern" more "modern" - can't remember the title (about 25 years ago!), but at that time i was working in a shop with a good stock of imports and i sold a few copies of the jap album cos of this other track to people who had already bought the only way is up on a seven as a new release

sorry, i'm not much help on this cos it was too long ago :(

Social source share

Willie G & the Styles - No second chance (Deadbeats)

Bobby Jason - All these things (William Powell)

James Lewis - That's the way (The Q)

Court Davis - The lover who loves you not (Try to think what you're doing)

Seven Souls - I still

John & Weirdest - Memories

Ty Karim - Lighten up

Cheryl Berdell

Doug Parkinson

Jan Jones

Charles Johnson

Tyrone Barkley

Otis Clay

And the deadbeats jumps :(

I seen him at hammersmith,propper singer :(

Social source share

too much info guy's !!, so at the end of the day how much and who's got 1 !!!

LP will do i suppose :thumbup:

Ian.

Post 34

Agree Sean - most copies seem to have some sort of needle burn on them in the main (although I personally have a clean one )

Cheers

Steve

Social source share

Post 34

Agree Sean - most copies seem to have some sort of needle burn on them in the main (although I personally have a clean one )

Cheers

Steve

Thank you Ken :D

Steve

Social source share

Thank you Ken :sleep3:

Steve

Just got a Email from Barrowby,thought i was you :P sent him a email explaining,he says he might be off line for a bit,so i spose`put one on hold for the lad. :D

Social source share

"Special kind of love" was first released on Glades.

Yes Karl, sorry, should have said that it originally came out 4 years earlier on Glades & UK President!

The Echo version does seem to be the original 'Glades' version too rather than a re-recorded version!

Cheers

Steve

Edited by Steve Plumb
Social source share