Walls Of Heartache, Walthamstow, Sat Feb 26th

Guest andys165

Guest andys165

Walls of Heartache opens its doors again on Sat Feb 26th in Walthamstow, North East London.

Our opening night in Jan was a great success with a great mixed crowd and we're hoping for a repeat showing this month.

Alongside regular DJs Andy & Dave we have an interesting guest this month - producer Stephen Street. Stephen is best known for working with the Smiths, Moz, Blur, Ordinary Boys and currently New Order, but as a teenager he sold soul 45s in Walthamstow market and still loves the music (well you would).

We've persuaded him to dust off his old 45s and return to Walthamstow for a rare spot.

We were pretty much full last month so this month we're kicking off at 8.30pm with a more laid back, blue-eyed hour before the Soul/Northern stompers come out. Open til 1am

We're at The Cavern, 524 Forest Road, Walthamstow, E17 (map on our website www.wallsofheartache.co.uk) within easy reach of the North Circ and M25. Nearest tube, Walthamstow Central. See flyer in the gallery for bus details etc.

Good, friendly night £4 on the door - everybody welcome - Andy & Dave

• Replies 24
  • Views 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Posted Images

Guest andys165

Thanks Mike, glad you enjoyed it. I might be after some of those pics for our website if our own don't come out well next week. Hope you can join us again on the 26th we have lots of new vinyl and visuals and we're starting at 8.30 for the eager beavers.

Andy

Guest andys165

Hmmmm - from memory, my set was something like

Mamie Galore 'It Ain't Necessary'

Marvin & Tammi 'Two can Have A Party'

Capitols 'Cool Jerk'

Astors 'Candy'

Irma Thomas 'Don't mess With My Man'

Frankie Valli 'The Night'

Impressions 'We're Rolling On'

Originals 'Suspicion'

Jeanette White 'Music'

Martha Reeves 'In My Lonely Room'

Contours 'Just A Little Misunderstanding'

Salt 'Hung Up'

Chiffons 'When The Boy's Happy...' (ruined by a drunk young lady knocking the needle across the record while requesting something I couldn't here!)

King Curtis 'Memphis Soul Stew'

Bettye Swann 'The Heartache Is Gone'

Cindy Scott 'I Love You Baby'

Little Richard 'I Don't Wanna Discuss It'

Archie Bell 'Tighten Up'

Marv Johsnon 'I Miss You Baby'

After that it goes a little fuzzy and I didn't write it down. Probably a bit 'oldies' for some of you, but we're new, open to requests and the dance floor was packed, which was nice. Expecting Stephen Street to play mostly Motown in his guest spot next week - he's mad for it - as was Johnny Marr of the Smiths apparently.

Andy

Guest andys165

Really! Which ones?

The drunk girl actually said to me, "Are you going to play any classic old soul...you know, like from the 80s?" Then the needle went sccccrrrreeeeeeezzzzch! and I very nearly said a bad word to her.

She came back later and asked for the 3 Degrees! Here's hoping she finds Charlie Chann's nite club next week.

What do people think of us getting people from outside the scene, like Stephen Street, to guest DJ?

Just as a follow up - I am the other resident DJ from last months Walls of Heartache and playlist was along these lines (like Andy things got a bit hazy towards the end of the evening)

Dobie Grey - Out on the Floor

Judy Street - What

The Elgins - Put Yourself in My Place

Major Lance- You Dont Want Me Anymore

The Contours - First I Look at the Purse

The Yum Yums - Gonna be a Big Thing

Betty Everett - Getting Mighty Crowded

Lorraine Silver - Lost Summer Love

The Velvelettes - Needle in a Haystack

Tami Lynn - I'm Gonna Run Away From You

Donnie Elbert - I can't Help Myself

Wigans Chosen Few - Footsee

The Fascinations - Girls Are Out to Get You

Betty Wright - Clean Up Woman

Candy and the Kisses - The 81

Gloria Jones - Tainted Love

Marlena Shaw - Wade in the Water

Archie Bell and the Drells - Here I Go Again

Again like Andy, I was plagued by the same woman hassling after Reggae this time - but also had a brilliant evening and enjoyed taking part in an enjoyable, friendly event.

Just seen the flyers for this Saturday's event !!

Even as an 'old' jazz-funk-soul girl, I thought it was fab last month (and, no, I wasn't the one asking for 80's 3 Degrees 'classic' soul)!

See you all there on Saturday

Guest andys165

I forgot to mention that there's another flat wall screen set up for this week's Walls Of Heartache and we have some new 60s TV visuals of classic artists doing their stuff -some of it hilarious - which we'll have going through parts of the night.

Seemed to be appreciated last month and we're planning to make our very own bit of film for screening soon - Lordy.

We've also posted some photos on our website from last month (slow? us?) and apologies for the two of myself and Dave at the decks. I suspect Dave's playing some reissue. They'll be replaced by you lot, the people who come along on the night, asap.

www.wallsofheartache.co.uk

See you all this coming Saturday and if anyone's got a copy of Eddie Bo's 'Our Love Will Never Falter', bring it along and I'll buy you a beer. Love it.

Andy

Guest andys165

If anyone has any requests for us on Saturday night - get them in and Dave and I will do our best to play them if they fall within our remit.

We've had a few from friends already and Dave took a rather large vinyl delivery this week - don't tell his better half.

It's snowing here at the moment so 'Skiing In The Snow' might have to come out.

Andy

A few pals and I are coming back to your night this saturday - we were very happy to find somewhere local for a dance and a drink last month and great sounds too - and that video stuff.

We're not mighty Northern fans (bit cheesy on occasion) but there was some excellent soul stuff played by the DJs - none of who we knew -last time.

We don't mind hearing the classics - and few surprises - if it means we can walk home and not spend £25 on a cab. More power to ya.

Ed, Carl and Tom wink.gif

Hiya Andy & Dave

Me and the missus should be there again, at least for a couple of hours, can't leave the kids alone too long! At least we can walk home after. Hopefully we can get our friends Mark & Jo (also from Walthamstow) to come as well. Are you intending to get any local DJ guests, there are quite a few of us, me, Mark (Ellis), Martin Thompson, Alice & Audra (Martin's wife).

TTM

A few pals and I are coming back to your night this saturday - we were very happy to find somewhere local for a dance and a drink last month and great sounds too - and that video stuff.

We're not mighty Northern fans (bit cheesy on occasion) but there was some excellent soul stuff played by the DJs - none of who we knew -last time.

We don't mind hearing the classics - and few surprises - if it means we can walk home and not spend £25 on a cab. More power to ya.

Ed, Carl and Tom :shades:

link

Guest andys165

Tim - come down even if it's just for a couple of hours. Dave and I will warm things up 8.30-10pm and then Mr. Street will be dusting off his box for an hour (he rang me today to ask if he can play a couple of 'mod' tracks - I could hear New Order in the studio behind him) before Dave & I take over again for the stomp-fest.

Local DJs - yes definitely. We've met Audra and the 'girls', said 'hi' to Martin and will talk to you and them about getting involved. We want to build something locally and I'm sure all of you have a much wider knowledge (and bigger record box) than us.

Martin - you have that Eddie Bo single!!!! I love it but am scared to ask what the list price is - is it for sale?

Hope you and Audra can come down one week and we'd love to talk to you about DJing.

We've got Mike from Cambridge lined up for March and we're hoping Corinne Drewery is going to do April. That's assuming we last that long.

See you on Saturday

Dave & I have a website meeting tonight - how did it all come to this?

www.wallsofheartache.co.uk

Guest andys165

How great to be going through your records ahead of tomorrow night's Walls Of Heartache only to realise that your neighbours have gone away for the weekend and you can crank the hi-fi up!

The Impressions never sounded so good.

Hope to see some of you in sunny Walthamstow tomorrow night.

Andy

Guest andys165

Just a reminder that we are kicking off at 8.30pm tonight. £4 on the door.

Stephen Street (Guest DJ this month) will be doing his spot between 10-11.30pm but try not to wave your copies of 'Viva Hate' under his nose for signing while he's cueing up a record, OK?

See you later

Andy

Guest andys165

A massive thanks to everyone who turned out in the cold last night to make our second monthly night another big success. Mr Street played lots of biggies and the dance floor was rammed all night.

We'll post a few pics up here later - hope to see everyone on Sat March 26th for our next installment.

Thanks again - we're beginning to think there are enough soul fans out there to sustain this monthly shindig. Fingers crossed.

Andy & Dave

Excellent night on Saturday thanks - that Street bloke certainly caned the Motown box didn't he? And how wonderfully non PC to play a Jackson 5 track.

Where do you get those films from that you have on the big screens by the way and someone told me that the Swing Out Sister woman is DJing at your night soon. Is that true? See you next month (any chance of free Easter Eggs?)

Keep the faith

Ed, Carl and Tom

Thanks for the comments lads - I think Stephen Street did us proud with a blinding set and he turned out to be a top bloke as well.

In actual fact our guest DJ for the next Walls of Heartache (26th March) is a chap called Mike Hamilton who has been DJ'ing for a number of years now, including having his own show on local radio. Mikes latest 'outing' was a Northern Soul night up in Ipswich (details to follow later) and knowing him quite well, we are sure he will give us another good night.

We are hopeful of getting Corrine from Swing Out Sister to play soon, possibly at the end of April and should have some news soon.

Thanks again to all of you who turned up on Saturday and to Stephen and his wife Sarah.

Dave whistling.gif