The Most Soulfull Northern Soul

Tomangoes

Although the words Northern Soul do not guarantee a record is in fact soulfull, it must be said that the majority are. Whats your top 3 that prove this point.

My top 3

Tomangoes - I really love you baby - Washpan.

Gwen Owens - Just say your wanted and needed - Velgo.

Dena Barnes - If you ever walk out of my life - Inferno.

Ed

Social source share

• Replies 54
  • Views 4.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Guest Richard Bergman

Although the words Northern Soul do not guarantee a record is in fact soulfull, it must be said that the majority are. Whats your top 3 that prove this point.

My top 3

Ed

link

Is that why you call yourself Tomangoes :lol:

This is very difficult thread to pin down

In my profile is Roy Hamilton - Panic Is On , so that is a good place to start and after that

;l;pup==ooo4o488687777e7&&%$£££""TTT$$"!*@@&^^

BRAIN SCRAMBLE

Edited by Richard Bergman
Social source share

My top 3

Ed

link

Frank Dell ....He broke your game wide open...valise

Sam Fletcher......Think it over twice...Tollie

Herb Ward...Strange change....Argo

Social source share

Guest Richard Bergman

Frank Dell ....He broke your game wide open...valise

Sam Fletcher......Think it over twice...Tollie

Herb Ward...Strange change....Argo

link

Very forthright John , a very admirable quality

:lol:

I thinkthey call it conviction don't they

Edited by Richard Bergman
Social source share

Guest Richard Bergman

My top 3

Ed

link

Big Maybelle - oh lord

George Freeman - Down and out

Jerry Butler - I stand accused

Social source share

I'm really not sure to wha extent Northern Soul is on the whole Soul at all. If you take Northern records by performers who are better known for deeper stuff, their Northern records, although they may still be very good records, don't often count as Soul by comparison. Roscoe Robinsobn is a good example here.

But back to the soulful Northern theme: 'Twinkle Little Star' by the Parisians is to my mind a gritty soulful soul record despite the silly title. Actually, in the good old early days, before Northern was called that, most of the records played were first and foremost Soul records albeit not as soulful as the slower stuff.

Just listening to Homer Banks ' A lot of Love'. Great northern soul with soul.

Social source share

Guest Richard Bergman

some good soulful tunes coming out here, very refreshing.......

link

For sheer raw emotion Jerry takes some beating the line "you belong to another and I may not stand a ghost of a chance " gets me everytime - THE line for all men who have loved the WRONG woman

Social source share

Guest mattmale

I agree with The Tomagoes,

but it has to be also

Too Darn Soulful - Morris Chestnut (a record which lives up to it's name)

Wanted - Larry Clinton

can i have another?

I'm Gone - Eddie Parker

Imagine hearing those four back to back..... :lol:

Social source share

Guest Richard Bergman

Actually think I might play that at Greatstone on the 19th, I havn't played that out for a while, It could do with a spin...... :lol:

link

Go for it John ! It's such a good tune - Bought a lot of Roy's spiritual albums on epic off ebay - sheer quality - Good listen to his voice for days on end without getting bored :no:

Social source share

Guest Richard Bergman

Let's try and think of some soulful group tracks.....

Most tracks by the Volumes are very soulful, Falcons, Magnetics, Fabulous Peps etc...

link

Rockmasters - Raining teardrops -

Soul Stirrers - touch the hem - (okay I know its gospel but ....)

Social source share

Guest Richard Bergman

I think Bari Track is way more soulful than The Panic Is On.  In fact, I don't think Panic Is On is a soul record at all to  be honest.  It's a great track but it's uptown pop music.

link

Uptown pop music ? - You're joking arent you -

Is this just a controversial statement Pete or do you honestly have the convistion to back that up

What qualities does the track have to qualify it as "uptown pop music " ?

Social source share

Definitely Roy Hamilton.. in a similar big voice ballad style....

Brad Lundy or Deena Johnson - The Breaking Point

Wade Flemmons - That Other Place

The Furys - Baby You Can Bet Your Boots

Social source share

Linda Jones-I Just Can't Live My Life

Jodi Mathis-Don't You Care Anymore

Spyder Turner-Just Can't Make It Anymore

To me real Northern and Soulful. I'm sorry but the beat ballad type thing can be more soulful than old style northern but it doesn't cut it for me on a night out.

Paul

Social source share

Guest 45s and 33s

The most soulful (today at any rate) for me are ...

Roy Hamilton - You can count on me

Kenny Shepard - What difference does it make

Walter Jackson - Gotta find me an angel

Ali

Social source share

In fact, I don't think Panic Is On is a soul record at all to  be honest.  It's a great track but it's uptown pop music.

link

I think that's an interesting observation. I think it must be almost definitely true that Roy was hoping to cross over with that one into the white middle class market. His phrasing and enunciation are as white as a Perry Como. For all that, it's a great sound. But is it a soul record? Perhaps not.

Edited by Billy Freemantle
Social source share

Of course, for the 900th time...

Salvadors-Stick By Me Baby-my#1 favorite. You can almost hear a gospel influnce with the background singers and the tambourines.

You Got To Have Money-Exits-Jimmy Conwell is one soulful dude. Met him and confirmed that. The ballad on the back of "To Much" called "Let it All Out" on Gemini also deserves mention for a seriously soulful delivery. What a quality singer he is.

Just Loving You-Ruby Andrews-no need to even discuss this tune. Just brilliant.

Masqueraders-Do You Love Me Baby. Got to agree with Derek Pearson that Lee J. has one of themost soulful voices ever. Although I think "Average Guy" by them on AGP is total masterpiece and one of the most beautiful deep soul records I can think of.

What Price-Nathan Williams

Somebody Somewhere Needs You-Darrell Banks

Home Is Where the Heart Is-Bobby Womack & the Brotherhood

So many more...

KTF

Jas

Social source share

Guest Johnny One Trout

I'd like to offer up a couple for consideration

Dells - Make sure or Run for cover couldn't really decide which

I know John Boy has already nominated Frank Dell but i'd second that and perhaps offer up Garland Green take your pick but perhaps Ain't that good enough or It Rained 40 days and 40 nights but the list is endless you've got to love all this old bo***cks don't ya no.gif:no::lol:

Social source share

I think that's an interesting observation. I think it must be almost definitely true that Roy was hoping to cross over with that one into the white middle class market. His phrasing and enunciation are as white as a  Perry Como.  For all that, it's a great sound. But is it a soul record? Perhaps not.

link

I understand where you are coming from Billy, For me though Roy Hamilton could sing "teddy bears picnic" and make it soulful...........He's was the man :lol:

Social source share

Guest Johnny One Trout

I understand where you are coming from Billy, For me though Roy Hamilton could sing "teddy bears picnic" and make it soulful...........He's was the man :lol:

link

Didn't Pete Smith have a single sided acetate of Roy Hamilton's - Teddy Bears Picnic on the Virtue imprint lookalikey :lol::no:no.gif

Social source share

My top 3

Ed

link

Hard for three with so much choice and talent, but here goes for a possible deep soul 5;

Freddie Houston - Soft Walking

Cleveland Robinson Jr - Love is a trap

Roosevelt Grier - Lover set me free

Jerry Jackson - It's rough out there

Tony Middleton - To the ends of the earth

Edited by Ian Sims
Social source share

Guest Johnny One Trout

One of the best stories/tales ever put to vinyl and certainly one of the most soulful Tony Clark - The Wrong Man - MS.

link

Better than the Snake? :wicked:whistling.gif

Social source share

amidst the Rou Hamilton debate, I much prefer Lou Johnson myself although Roy's 'She's got a heart' always got them on the floor at the Wilton.

Soulful - I'll probably change my mind tomorrow but group-wise, The Volumes 'Same old feeling' takes some beating. Likewise, in the blokes stakes, George Jackson - 'I don't have the time to love you' kills me every time. :wicked:

On the lasses front, Marjorie Black's 'One more hurt' is a current slayer in me back room.

On the other hand............

Social source share

You won't get more soul packed into a northern record than Lorraine Rudolph "Keep Coming Back For More" on Jet Stream. What would this be worth if it were in any way scarce?

Agree with those who've nominated both Big Maybelle "Oh Lord..." and Eddie Parker's "I'm Gone".

A current favourite of mine in the northern soul stakes is Benny Harper's "My Prayer" on Harper Soul: a staggeringly soulful side, where the sheer force and guts of the vocal and the track itself combine to take the breath away.

Social source share

Interesting choices, and as rare as it may :) ,I think Pete has a point about Roy Hamilton, I love the record and always have done but on a pure soul type classification his voice is aimed at crossing over (a point better made by the as always very eloquent Billy Freemantle above). I think its interesting that a large number of the choices have been in the uptown big voice style, very emotional but not always classic soulful to me, and thats not a dig as thanks to Ady C's promting over this style over the years I do love it.

To me Jackie Beavers Love that Never.. and Eddie Parker Im Gone are proper NS records but as soulful as you can get.

Also an honorable mention to Jodi Mathis that someone mentions, hadnt heard it for years and on cd over headphones it amazed me how soulful that is. An underplayed imaginative oldie for one of the 35000 dj's on the scene to pick up maybe?? :shades:

Cheers

Jock

Social source share

Guest Richard Bergman

Definitely Roy Hamilton.. in a similar big voice ballad style....

Brad Lundy or Deena Johnson - The Breaking Point

Wade Flemmons - That Other Place

The Furys - Baby You Can Bet Your Boots

link

The flip to the Furys - Tha man who has everything is bloody gorgeous -

Social source share

Also an honorable mention to Jodi Mathis that someone mentions, hadnt heard it for years and on cd over headphones it amazed me how soulful that is. An underplayed imaginative oldie for one of the 35000 dj's on the scene to pick up maybe??  :)

link

Didn't notice the Jodi Mathis when it was first mentioned, great vocal, played it out a couple of times last year.

Rachel

Social source share

Guest Richard Bergman

Brooks O'Dell - Watch Your Step

Roy Hamilton - Panic Is On (brilliant shout Joe Orton....a staggering SOUL record)

Jackie Wilson - Haunted House.

link

Brooks O'dell one of the best 15 quidders you could buy

Social source share

Just chillin listening to some Stafford slowies.......

Here's 5 all oozing with soul IMO :):shades:

Faye Crawford - What Have I Done Wrong - RCA

Johnny Gilliam - Room Full Of Tears - Cancer

Johnny Gilliam - Find Yourself Another - Bo Mar

Lonnett - Blue Jeans - M&S

Sir Ceaser - Show Me The Time - Ride

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!