Early 80,s

ANYBODY on here used to go/got any memorie,s.alway,s remember a lad from

wolverhampton,never knew his name.alway,s wore a camel crombie,stood near were they sold the record,s amongst other thing,s.then there was MR muscle,s

from penrith?,used to come with a lad called porter,had a perm like kevin keegan.

i used to go with the PRESTON crowd,

Social source share

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 100
  • Views 16.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Posted Images

Used to travel to Morecambe quiet a bit. Saw some great acts - Gene Chandler, etc. Even got to meet Chuck Jackson. whistling.gif:D

Probably spend all day trying to remember the guy from Penrith. If it's the one i'm thinking of he worked on the door when the nighters moved to the Carlton.

Nice to see Morecambe gettin' a mention, i think it is often over looked when venues are discussed! whistling.gif

Social source share

Guest dodger

Used to travel to Morecambe quiet a bit. Saw some great acts - Gene Chandler, etc. Even got to meet Chuck Jackson.  whistling.gif   :D

Probably spend all day trying to remember the guy from Penrith. If it's the one i'm thinking of he worked on the door when the nighters moved to the Carlton.

Nice to see Morecambe gettin' a mention, i think it is often over looked when venues are discussed! whistling.gif

link

Was 'Porter' Andy Porter from Kendal?

Social source share

wolverhampton,never knew his name.alway,s wore a camel crombie,stood near were they sold the record,s amongst other thing,s.then there was MR muscle,s

from penrith?,used to come with a lad called porter,had a perm like kevin keegan.

link

I know the guy you mean Big H, just can't remember his name. If I'm right he wouldn't have looked outta place in the NZ rugby team... :lol:

He used to knock around with Tank from Lancaster and the rest of that crew. He frequented most of the Soul Promotions do's eg. Newcastle, Slosky's Mcr and of course Morecambe! Havn't seen him for years tho myself...

I do see Tank now and again, and will ask him for his name and what he's up to now...

Sam

Social source share

My first major DJing debut and one of the great forgotten nighters. Loads of memories I could fill a book with, who remembers the Scottish crew of Wullie Mercer, Mark Linton, Stuart et all? The sunlight filling the Starlight room at the end of the night, the crush in the cafe after, the fact the pier used to move up and down with the stomping? Driving all the way up from North Herts with 6" of water flooding the datsun through the holes in the front and all the lights being replaced with 4 torches, cellotape and a prayer!!! The police waiting to turn you back at services due to the Miners strike? The Sam Cooke C/U - Moody and the Deltas, Lenny Welch's Big Apple MONSTER, the permed hair of Marc Farley? the good times and the great music? I could go on and on but will leave it at that. They really were great times and Morecombe should be recognised for keeping the scene together - along with Stafford, the 100 Club, Clifton Hall etc etc.

Social source share

I know the guy you mean Big H, just can't remember his name. If I'm right he wouldn't have looked outta place in the NZ rugby team...  :ohmy:

He used to knock around with Tank from Lancaster and the rest of that crew. He frequented most of the Soul Promotions do's eg. Newcastle, Slosky's Mcr and of course Morecambe! Havn't seen him for years tho myself...

I do see Tank now and again, and will ask him for his name and what he's up to now...

Sam

link

sam nice to meet you at Prestatyn, a bit off topic but the guy Tank in your reply.

Was/is he a Man utd fan & used to enjoy himself whistling.gif at the match in the 80`s, there used to be a guy who was a bit of a lad with the same name who was part of the red army.

Garv.

Social source share

Driving all the way up from North Herts with 6" of water flooding the datsun through the holes in the front and all the lights being replaced with 4 torches, cellotape and a prayer!!!

link

F***** priceless :ohmy: Can just imagine summat like this out of a comedy show let alone the life and times of a soulie :shhh:

I bet they could write a top notch comedy with the antics that have happened on the scene whistling.gif

Edited by chalky
Social source share

F***** priceless  whistling.gif   Can just imagine summat like this out of a comedy show let alone the life and times of a soulie  :ohmy:

I bet they could write a top notch comedy with the antics that have happened on the scene  smile.gif

link

:P Oh yes, we could provide enough material for a whole series!! One of the best times was being overtaken at over 90 mph by the soul mobile of the Ampthill/Shefford crew, only to get a close-up view of the lovely Ann's arse hanging out the window of said car with her finger up it and the words 'Morecombe Or Bust' draped alongside on a banner :shhh: I have photos of Boots hubby, that's the Bald pimp to you lot, that i will get around to posting here taken at Morecombe etc.

Social source share

Guest martyn

sam nice to meet you at Prestatyn, a bit off topic but the guy Tank in your reply.

Was/is he a Man utd fan & used to enjoy himself whistling.gif   at the match in the 80`s, there used to be a guy who was a bit of a lad with the same name who was part of the red army.

Garv.

link

That Tank was from Northampton(if my memory serves me right),used to hang around with the Cockney Reds,or so I'm told whistling.gif

Social source share

Just to let you all know, the soul scene in Morecambe is strong once again with the Seaside Soul Club.

There's quite a lot of the boys have strong memories of the old Pier, I myself was in my late teens when I went and just caught the back end of it all, had some great nights.

Does Duffs or Charlie ring any bells, homegrown Morecambe Soulies

We're all at the Upstairs Downstairs on regular monthly nights but the club is certainly looking to resurrect some of the all-nighter spirit in the future, possibly the Carleton if we can sort the potential red tape! and more importantly being able to get em IN :thumbsup:

Jason

seasidesoul.co.uk

Edited by seasidesoul
Social source share

Just to let you all know, the soul scene in Morecambe is strong once again with the Seaside Soul Club.

There's quite a lot of the boys have strong memories of the old Pier, I myself was in my late teens when I went and just caught the back end of it all, had some great nights.

We're all at the Upstairs Downstairs on regular monthly nights but the club is certainly looking to resurrect some of the all-nighter spirit in the future, possibly the Carleton if we can sort the potential red tape! and more importantly being able to get em IN :thumbsup:

Jason

seasidesoul.co.uk

Social source share

Jason

seasidesoul.co.uk

Edited by seasidesoul
Social source share

Was handed a flyer last week for a night at the Carlton on 18th of June - is this your lads?

Social source share

Was/is he a Man utd fan & used to enjoy himself :thumbsup:   at the match in the 80`s, there used to be a guy who was a bit of a lad with the same name who was part of the red army.

Garv.

link

Alright Garv,no the tank that you're talking about was from Northampton.

Regards Soulster22 :D

Social source share

That Tank was from Northampton(if my memory serves me right),used to hang around with the Cockney Reds,or so I'm told :thumbsup:

link

Alright Garv,no the tank that you're talking about was from Northampton.

Regards Soulster22 :D

link

Yeah remember now, How would two upstanding soul boy`s like yourselfs know about footie lad`s :( . :D

Garv. :D:D

Edited by garv
Social source share

That Tank was from Northampton(if my memory serves me right),used to hang around with the Cockney Reds,or so I'm told ranting_1.gif

link

Ha another Barnsley fan :huh: Ken

Social source share

We're all at the Upstairs Downstairs on regular monthly nights but the club is certainly looking to resurrect some of the all-nighter spirit in the future, possibly the Carleton if we can sort the potential red tape! and more importantly being able to get em IN :sleep3:

Was handed a flyer last week for a night at the Carlton on 18th of June - is this your lads?

link

No its not. We do have a night on the 18th but at our home venue "Upstairs Downstairs" 2 min walk from the Carleton. We understand Kev Roberts is promoting the Carleton doo! Its disappointing that people don't communicate enough. :)

Jason

Seasidesoul.co.uk

Social source share

Guest martyn

Yeah remember now, How would two upstanding soul boy`s like yourselfs know about footie lad`s :rolleyes: . :yes:

Garv. :D   :D

link

Now that would be telling

:secret: :D ................................. :huh:

Social source share

Guest GST45

i used to travel down to morecambe ('83/84) in mark lintons bus from scotland. we used to leave aberdeen in the morning and then goto arbroath , where the bus used to leave from and pick up people all the way down.

i remeber mark, willie, stuart, trev and jay and a million others. any news on them?

great times...tunes...venue

Social source share

i used to travel down to morecambe ('83/84)  in mark lintons bus from scotland. we used to leave aberdeen in the morning and then goto arbroath , where the bus used to leave from and pick up people all the way down.

i remeber mark, willie, stuart, trev and jay and a million others. any news on them?

great times...tunes...venue

link

I think my friend Jenny still hears from Willie Mercer but have no idea where Marc and the others are now. It really was a great allnighter, great toons, great atmosphere and, before the end when it all went downhill rapidly, one of the best allnighters in the UK. There is video footage that Mr Gibbons took that I'd love to get a copy of as it features many of us dancing and doing all the acrobatics in the days when we could do so without risking a visit to the local hospital!!! Anyone have a copy?

Social source share

Guest in town Mikey

I think my friend Jenny still hears from Willie Mercer but have no idea where Marc and the others are now. It really was a great allnighter, great toons, great atmosphere and, before the end when it all went downhill rapidly, one of the best allnighters in the UK. There is video footage that Mr Gibbons took that I'd love to get a copy of as it features many of us dancing and doing all the acrobatics in the days when we could do so without risking a visit to the local hospital!!! Anyone have a copy?

link

Pete-S sent me a DVd with loads of soul doc's footage on.

I'm 99% sure it has that bit on you spoke about.

Got the lad with the scabbard tattoo on his calf doing his stuff initially, and Everyone else joining in with him.

Didnt look like you guys were given much room. :)

Wasnt that used in the beginning of the word documentary??

Social source share

Anybody remember Chris Carr from Manchester, a Morecambe regular? He's not so well at the moment and I told him Morecambe was being discussed on here so he asked me to see if anybody remembered him. If you don't remember his name, you may remember his get up....headband, no top, shorts...and it was always wise to keep your distance from him on the dancefloor if you wanted to avoid serious injury from one of his mad spins. He sometimes comes down to the Mint Lounge in Manchester and not a night goes by without him mentioning Morecambe Pier.

Social source share

Guest in town Mikey

Anybody remember Chris Carr from Manchester, a Morecambe regular? He's not so well at the moment and I told him Morecambe was being discussed on here so he asked me to see if anybody remembered him. If you don't remember his name, you may remember his get up....headband, no top, shorts...and it was always wise to keep your distance from him on the dancefloor if you wanted to avoid serious injury from one of his mad spins.  He sometimes comes down to the Mint Lounge in Manchester and not a night goes by without him mentioning Morecambe Pier.

link

Reg

That sounds like the guy I was describing. Perhaps you should rip his trousers off and see if the tattoo is there. If it isnt I apologise.

If it is, he is on the Leicester video, doing his stuff too.

Social source share

My first major DJing debut and one of the great forgotten nighters. Loads of memories I could fill a book with, who remembers the Scottish crew of Wullie Mercer, Mark Linton, Stuart et all? The sunlight filling the Starlight room at the end of the night, the crush in the cafe after, the fact the pier used to move up and down with the stomping? Driving all the way up from North Herts with 6" of water flooding the datsun through the holes in the front and all the lights being replaced with 4 torches, cellotape and a prayer!!! The police waiting to turn you back at services due to the Miners strike? The Sam Cooke C/U - Moody and the Deltas, Lenny Welch's Big Apple MONSTER, the permed hair of Marc Farley? the good times and the great music? I could go on and on but will leave it at that. They really were great times and Morecombe should be recognised for keeping the scene together - along with Stafford, the 100 Club, Clifton Hall etc etc.

link

Not quite in the same league and certainly not run by the same calibre of people!

Social source share

link

I was one of the fife boys who travelled on the bus (Derek Jack). I lived near to Willie Mercer & Jai. Been living down south for ages now and have lost touch with the guys.

Last i heard Mark Linton was living in Glasgow. Stuart Spence is still seen out and about. Would love to hear from some of the others, am planning to go back to fife later this year and hope to catch up with some of the old crew.

Derek

Social source share

• 1 month later...

Was 'Porter' Andy Porter from Kendal?

link

Hi Rog, yeah I reckon that was Andy "Kevin Keegan" Porter

I can't wait to tell him !

Social source share

Anybody remember Chris Carr from Manchester, a Morecambe regular? He's not so well at the moment and I told him Morecambe was being discussed on here so he asked me to see if anybody remembered him. If you don't remember his name, you may remember his get up....headband, no top, shorts...and it was always wise to keep your distance from him on the dancefloor if you wanted to avoid serious injury from one of his mad spins.  He sometimes comes down to the Mint Lounge in Manchester and not a night goes by without him mentioning Morecambe Pier.

link

Morecambe Pier

I saw my first live soul act there in 82 i think...Gene Chandler :D:wicked: What a venue..Also the place that first had me dancing to Frank Wilson...I have the flyer some place, i think Big Daddy Bicknell was one of the djs...Was always nice to get some fresh sea air outside...Fantastic memories of one of my first all-niters...All down from Waggon and Horses in Huddersfield with Howard Earnshaw :wicked: ,Spider Turner, AND THE REST...what a start on the road to heaven.....or is that hell :D

Social source share

• 2 weeks later...

oh what nights we had,the long drive up from Leicester,me spending most of EVERY Steve Whittle spots with the man himself up along side him on the stage.

2 overiding memories of Morcombe are being up with Steve watching as at least 1500 souls went balistic to Lou Cortneys "tryin' to find my women"

And the other was getting a real good knee trembler about 04.30 at the end of the pier with.............................. :P

Social source share

• 1 month later...
Guest Neil-ok

Nice to see the pier getting a mention,made many a visit up there,suprised it dosen`t get mentioned more or see any cd compilations from the sounds of the pier i remember it closing and moving th the carlton rooms?club used to go up there with some lads from newton le willows including chris richards(from prestatyn)he was mate of brian rae`s(he was a bit of a rick astley look a like,anyone know of him?.

Social source share

That Tank was from Northampton(if my memory serves me right),used to hang around with the Cockney Reds,or so I'm told :rolleyes:

link

[/quo

???was he? :yes: i can't recall anyone from Northampton called that,but there again, at our last local pub soul do, there were soulies who knew me from the Fleet 25 years+ , i on the other hand didn't have a clue who they were,but graciously accepted all the drinks they kept buying me, :(whistling.gif well it would've been rude to decline :yes: Del x

Social source share

you've GOT to give us more than that. are you sure you aren't thinking of a dan brown novel?! :ohmy:

link

sh*t Dan, you're right. Got him mixed up with Victor hugo's 'Quasimodo' :thumbsup:

link

Social source share

Guest in town Mikey

you've GOT to give us more than that. are you sure you aren't thinking of a dan brown novel?! :yes:

link

sh*t Dan, you're right. Got him mixed up with Victor hugo's 'Quasimodo' :ohmy:

link

Social source share

• 7 months later...
Guest Soul Sid

yeah i can remember the lad frpm Penrith, used to remind me of B.A Barracus out of trhe a- team! HEY SUCKER OR WHAT YOU MEAN FOOL1 sOUIL SID :thumbsup:

Social source share

Guest Soul Sid

If its the lad im thinking of his name is Ian Tyror he owns a couple of barbers shops in wolverhampton. Hes the only bloke i can think of who used to wear a camel crombie. Well thats my theory anyhow. SOUL SID
Social source share

• 2 months later...
Guest lagerlout

used to travel to this venue on the friday nights in the windswept winter from Leeds.trev ( jamie hartfords dad ) had his own van so we all used to pile into that and off we went over the m62. used to stop off in lancaster for a pint or 5 in the bell pub in the town center.

then the short trip up to the pier,fight the gale force wind going over the pier to the end.these were great nighters and some fond memories of the place..

Social source share

• 1 year later...

Was/is he a Man utd fan & used to enjoy himself :thumbsup: at the match in the 80`s, there used to be a guy who was a bit of a lad with the same name who was part of the red army.

Garv.

tank is still in lancaster and is a chelsea fan and his name is phill,and the guy from penrith was called chris and i think he has passed away. i used 2 do the door with them at the pier and the carlton and various other soul promotion venues

Social source share

Nice to see the pier getting a mention,made many a visit up there,suprised it dosen`t get mentioned more or see any cd compilations from the sounds of the pier i remember it closing and moving th the carlton rooms?club used to go up there with some lads from newton le willows including chris richards(from prestatyn)he was mate of brian rae`s(he was a bit of a rick astley look a like,anyone know of him?.

Chris and I used to be mistaken for brothers at Wigan all the time, skinny kids with dungarees on :D .

He managed Hott Waxx Records before I did and I used to knock about with him up and down the country on the Jazz Funk scene too in the mid to late 80's.

He was working for Harrods last time I heard, which is probably mid 90's, and lives with his partner.

Good lad.

I used to have the occassional crack in the 'Modern Room' (cupboard) but could generally be found on that little dancefloor near the back.

Aways found it a little disconscerting when you went for a p*ss though - you could see all the way down to the sand/water if you looked down the urinal. :thumbsup:

Chuck Jackson collapsed that night - he was almost skeletal.

The big proble withy going to Morecambe was I often went with Brian (Rae) and Martin from Congleton - try and get them out of the services (one arm bandits), many a time we got there gone 7am. :thumbsup:

Edited by Barry
Social source share

Used to travel to Morecambe quiet a bit. Saw some great acts - Gene Chandler, etc. Even got to meet Chuck Jackson. :thumbsup::D

Nice to see Morecambe gettin' a mention, i think it is often over looked when venues are discussed! :thumbsup:

the pier was 1 of the best allnighters ever the 3 years at the pier were unreal and the anniversary nights were something special with the countrys top djs and the atmosphere was electric,it seems the pier didnt get the praise it should have as the pier nights were packed out every month

Social source share

Guest Neil-ok

Chris and I used to be mistaken for brothers at Wigan all the time, skinny kids with dungarees on biggrin.gif .

He managed Hott Waxx Records before I did and I used to knock about with him up and down the country on the Jazz Funk scene too in the mid to late 80's.

He was working for Harrods last time I heard, which is probably mid 90's, and lives with his partner.

Good lad.

I used to have the occassional crack in the 'Modern Room' (cupboard) but could generally be found on that little dancefloor near the back.

Aways found it a little disconscerting when you went for a p*ss though - you could see all the way down to the sand/water if you looked down the urinal. :(

Chuck Jackson collapsed that night - he was almost skeletal.

The big proble withy going to Morecambe was I often went with Brian (Rae) and Martin from Congleton - try and get them out of the services (one arm bandits), many a time we got there gone 7am. :D

Cheers for the info about Chris,Barry :yes: .I remember the dungaree years :yes::( ,i remember hitching a lift back from Wigan one morning and some truck driver who give us a lift asked me if i had just bust out of borstal/prison(he thought the dungarees where prison issue :P ).

Regarding Chris,if you hear of anything more or bump into the fella point him to this post if you would Barry :D .

Aways found it a little disconscerting when you went for a p*ss though - you could see all the way down to the sand/water if you looked down the urinal. :lol:

Remember it well Barry :yes: .

Social source share

Cheers for the info about Chris,Barry :( .I remember the dungaree years :yes::D ,i remember hitching a lift back from Wigan one morning and some truck driver who give us a lift asked me if i had just bust out of borstal/prison(he thought the dungarees where prison issue :lol: ).

Regarding Chris,if you hear of anything more or bump into the fella point him to this post if you would Barry :yes: .

Remember it well Barry :( .

This is what forums are about, re-uniting people, their friends and their memories, pm for you my son.

:D

Social source share

Guest Netspeaky

About time Morecambe got a mention, one of the best niters of the 80's and totally gets over looked. I used to Dj in the Oldies room and at my local niter in Colwyn Bay for Shaun which he used to run in-between the Morecambe dates. Lots of North Walians use to make the trip. Anybody remember the the guys from "MOVE RECORDs" and their promotional stand, Scottish based and no doubt part responsible for the 100's of Scots who used to make the trip down to the pier. Also remember twisting some lad's arm to take Wade "Jeanette" Flammons off me for 50p, as I was a little skint one night.

Social source share

tank is still in lancaster and is a chelsea fan and his name is phill,and the guy from penrith was called chris and i think he has passed away. i used 2 do the door with them at the pier and the carlton and various other soul promotion venues

Ahhhh Tank what a lovely Guy one my best mates, i speak to him every week he still does the rounds with the Lancaster crew my home town, avid chelsea fan. Shaun Gibbons lives 2 doors from my mother will try and find out if he still has the vid from the pier, they were some of my best memmories way back when thumbsup.gif . Does any one remember the aldayers at the Dixi land in morcambe used get of the Train or out the back of Martin Brogans van at lancaster from wigan then straight on the bus to morcambe for the dayers they were the days ....... cool.gif

Social source share

Guest Una Scot-Oz

I was one of the fife boys who travelled on the bus (Derek Jack). I lived near to Willie Mercer & Jai. Been living down south for ages now and have lost touch with the guys.

Last i heard Mark Linton was living in Glasgow. Stuart Spence is still seen out and about. Would love to hear from some of the others, am planning to go back to fife later this year and hope to catch up with some of the old crew.

Derek

I'm going home to Scotland for New Year and they are putting on a reunion all-dayer for me on 6th Jan. Alot of the old Scottish crowd getting together then . Sinclair Hogg, Tommy Cockburn etc. You know Billy McDonald?

Social source share

Guest Una Scot-Oz

Actually I've just remembered, when I went home sometime in the mid 80's Tommy, Hank , Avron and myself went down to Morcambe. The first person I saw when we walked in was Malcolm, still wearing a red vest! He always danced near the front at Wigan towards the right hand side of the stage. Long hair, did an up and down type of step as opposed to side to side. He was really pleased to see us, as we were him.

I don't actually remember anything else about the night sad.gif I think it was good though!

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!