Don't Lead Me On Baby

Paul R

I've had a tape for many years with Emanual Laskey-Don't Lead Me On Baby, a sound that I realy love. Recently I bought a CD "Someday, The Cream Of Northern Soul" with it on. It sounds quite different, particularly the backing. Are there two versions. It was quite disappointing. A bit like buying a KRL CD to find that they are all re recordings.

Paul

Social source share

• Replies 6
  • Views 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Yes there are two versions. This is what I know:

The original version came out on Thelma 106. There is an alternative version, which came out on a re-issue Thelma 45, I think its catalgue number is 115. Apparently this is actually Billy kennedy on vocal.

Social source share

yes paul noss is right the billy kennerdy version is the better one in my oppinion

its slightly faster it sort of bounces along where as laskeys versions abit dreary

there were 2 records put out thelma credited to emanual laskey T-114 & T-115.

like w/demos the other one was an unreleased or alternate take of an earlier release he did on thelma but i cant think of the title.hope this was of some help

cheers billy.

Edited by billysoul
Social source share

yes paul noss is right the billy kennerdy version is the better one in my oppinion

its slightly faster it sort of bounces along where as laskeys versions abit dreary

there were 2 records put out thelma credited to emanual laskey T-114 & T-115.

like w/demos the other one was an unreleased or alternate take of an earlier release he did on thelma but i cant think of the title.hope this was of some help

cheers  billy.

link

the other billy kennedy was we got a good thing going - thelma T-114 , same

backing as sweet thing , credited to joe matthews :wicked:

Social source share

The proper original Emanuel Laskey version is far superior IMO, a top tune. Apart from this recent demo issue wrongly(?) credited to Emanuel Laskey there is supposed to be two versions/mixes of the original Thelma 45. I have the most common Nashville Matrix stamped version and the original WDJ I heard sounded the same but there is supposed to be another version, same label # but different version/mix. I have seen this listed a few times over the years, and would really like to hear it. Anyone confirm this exists please?

Social source share

Thanks for confirming Chris. Now I just need to hear the less common version! Anyone who can help please? You still have it Chris, and if so can you make a sound file?

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!