• Replies 46
  • Views 3.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Posted Images

Guest vinylvixen

David Coleman - Drown my heart in tears......you left me like dirt on the carpet :thumbsup: Jo

Edited by vinylvixen
Social source share

Yup....count me in :thumbsup:

Great stuff, as long as it doesn't get overkill like it did 'back in the day'

Quality latin tracks are starting to pack dancefloors again...and not just the obvious stuff...top banana :lol:

Ha ha..back in the day! I think it livened thr mod scene up imo,....sure mr Bassett would agree!!!

Social source share

a mi tambin!

little did I know it back then, but that old floor packer by cal tdjader 'soul source' was pure latin soul.

the highlighters kay-gee (?) also. I believe fania was a quintessential latin soul label.

had a holiday in cuba a few years back. lolling about in 18th century patios, drinking mojitos & daiquiris & listening to stunning musicians. fab place.

it'll all change when old fidel pops his clogs though.

viva el pueblo cubano!!

Social source share

Ha ha..back in the day! I think it livened thr mod scene up imo,....sure mr Bassett would agree!!!

It did indeed....until every imagineable track released on Tico/Cotique/Fania/Barry/Uptite and the like got played to death and somewhat killed it in it's tracks.

Dom Bassett......last saw him many years ago at the Underground do in Skeggy.....anyone know if he is he still about?

Edited by Mace
Social source share

Well I loved it back in the day...it was a nice change along with Sammy Ambrose etc...Mr Bassett did very well I think:-)

Mr Basset did very well indeed (a hero of his time perhaps), but lots of the latin stuff was filtering through the clubs in Brum long before it got aired on the rallies..Jon Kelly (Brum one not the Scouse Manc one :thumbsup: ) & Pid were spinning loads of it.

Rick from Chichester was picking up on stuff like Pete Terrace etc and bringing new latin stuff up to Brum every weekend...

Dave Ingle from Loughborough was also turning up loads of quality unknown latin tunes at the time.

Great times....

Edited by Mace
Social source share

Mr Basset did very well indeed (a hero of his time perhaps), but lots of the latin stuff was filtering through the clubs in Brum long before it got aired on the rallies..Jon Kelly (Brum one not the Scouse Manc one :thumbsup: ) & Pid were spinning loads of it.

Rick from Chichester was picking up on stuff like Pete Terrace etc and bringing new latin stuff up to Brum every weekend...

Dave Ingle from Loughborough was also turning up loads of quality unknown latin tunes at the time.

Great times....

Oh yes...happy days!!!

here's another..

Social source share

quite like atlot of latin soul and jazz, probably due to dean johnson's influence and that of young mr beggs!!! :thumbsup:

current 3 fav home spins -

emanuel k rahim and the kahliqs-al alim(the knower)-cobblestone lp

ricardo ray and bobby cruz-el sencerro shingaling-fonseca lp

chollo rivera and the latin soul drives-i'm the one who loves you-cotique lp

cheers

phil

Social source share

quite like atlot of latin soul and jazz, probably due to dean johnson's influence and that of young mr beggs!!! :thumbsup:

current 3 fav home spins -

emanuel k rahim and the kahliqs-al alim(the knower)-cobblestone lp

ricardo ray and bobby cruz-el sencerro shingaling-fonseca lp

cheers

phil

Brilliant stuff Phill,,,keep meaning to come down to Bluu but I have far too may children!

Love it :lol:

Social source share

Ooooh I love a bit of latin - its so fantastic to dance too

Am glad its making its way back into the playlists of a few DJ's. Only really ever heard it at nighters if that ugly bird Beggs was playing! Will have to have a rummage around for the Cd he made me a couple of years back.....

Social source share

Guest Dante

Si Si Si, me le gustan :lol:

Also love proper, full-on Salsa/Mambo - Anything from La Habana - Celia Cruz, Tito Fuente etc.

K

Isn't it Tito Puente :lol:?

I alike it too, all the Fania and NYC stuff its really cool. There's a Chicago DJ living here in Mexico with some reall good stuff.

Cuidado con la culebra, que te muerde los pies! :lol:

Cheers

Dante

Social source share

cheers

phil

Got a great Cotique 45 by Chollo Rivera & Latin Soul Drivers called 'Black & Blues.'

Think Beggsy used to give it the odd spin, though not sure if he used to play the more soulful flip 'I could never hurt you girl'

Beggsy played a great set which included lots of Latin & Boogaloo stuff at the last Bidds Allnighter at about 5 a.m., and hoping for more of the same from him on October 6th.. :lol:

Edited by Mace
Social source share

Guest rachel

a mi tambin!

little did I know it back then, but that old floor packer by cal tdjader 'soul source' was pure latin soul.

the highlighters kay-gee (?) also. I believe fania was a quintessential latin soul label.

had a holiday in cuba a few years back. lolling about in 18th century patios, drinking mojitos & daiquiris & listening to stunning musicians. fab place.

it'll all change when old fidel pops his clogs though.

viva el pueblo cubano!!

Oh I'm extremely jealous - that sounds fantastic! Seems to be quite a bit with a latin/ latin jazz feel floating about on the modern/ crossover scene at the moment, even a few tracks which would probably qualify as soulful house ( :thumbsup: ) with that sort of feel which I like...

Social source share

Special Girl - Joe Bataan on Fania

Hard Hands - Ray Barretto on Fania

Soul Drummers - Ray Barretto on Fania

What A Baby - Joe Cuba on Tico

Ain't It Funny What Love Can Do - Joe Cuba on Tico

The Meditation - TNT Band on Cotique

Bad Breath - Babby Valentin on Fania

Spanish Maiden - Tony Middleton on Storm

Ooops nearly forgot Bang Bang - Joe Cuba can't remember the label off hand

post-642-1186614719_thumb.jpg

Edited by richard
Social source share

I found very hard to see any limit betwen salsa, latin-jazz, boogaloo... anyway, all is afro-caribean latin music, some of wich, made in USA (in NY).

Anyway, here's some great tunes all-time favorites of mine and classifiables as "boogaloo"

Joe Bataan - Call My Name

Joe Bataan - Shaft

La Lupe - Fever

Al Escobar - Tighten Up (Aprieta)

Manny Oquendo & Libre - Sabor a m­

Mongo Santamar­a - Cookie

Eddie Palmieri - Spirit Of Love

Ray Barretto - Pastime Paradise

Salsoul Orchestra - Ritzy Mambo

The O'Jays - This Air I Breath (that sound to my ears very, boogaloo, sorry!)

Social source share

Isn't it Tito Puente :wicked: ?

I alike it too, all the Fania and NYC stuff its really cool. There's a Chicago DJ living here in Mexico with some reall good stuff.

Cuidado con la culebra, que te muerde los pies! :unsure:

Cheers

Dante

Si es correcto, lo siento :thumbsup:

Social source share

Guest vinylvixen

Manny_Corchado___Pow_Wow.mp3

Jo, here's the Manny Corchado

Cheers Warren. Now I can see why Alan H likes this :D Latin was always played back in the early 8Ts at most London gigs - the Hector Rivera that Warren's posted was on a Kent album....I think David Coleman's on the album as well. I'll have to remember to pop some in my box for Boogaloo in September. It will be worth spinning just to see Warren do his salsa thing......he's rather good, you know yes.gif Jo

Social source share

Guest vinylvixen

4 from Mongo Santamaria

Green Onions on Columbia

We Got Latin Soul on Columbia

Cloud Nine on Columbia

Get The Money on Battle

'Get the Money' was on the B side of 'Yeh Yeh' (West Hampstead favourite). The Skatalites did a ska cover of GTM and called it 'Coconut Rock'....the Skatalites were BIG Mongo fans. Jo

Social source share

Guest Richard Bergman

Sonny Bravo's take on "Tighten Up " is a wonderful track on Columbia LP.

As is Joe Panama's " Soul Sister" on Decca.

Ocho's laid back soulful funk outing "undress my mind" from their self titled album is worth a listen also.

Can't do soundfiles at present-may add them later unless some kind soul can provide.

Edited by Richard Bergman
Social source share

• 2 weeks later...

for me my faves out of those not mentioned are

Johnny Zamot - you dig (decca) - also Johnny's boogaloo (also on Decca)

King nando - orchard beach shingaling part 2 (swinger) dead cool mid-tempo latin croon about heading off from your harlem base to the beach on a summers day, radio in hand (I posted this up a long with a few others a while back - see https://www.soul-source.co.uk/index.p...94&hl=nando - think the player is currently offline though)

TSU Toronados - play the music toronados - one of my all time favorite happy summer records of all time and has a lovely latin flavour

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!