Patrice Rushen

Stubbsy

Heard this played at Kent Soul Club, by Ginger Lou, Saturday night. First time I'd heard it played out, having just acquired a UK issue on the strength of hearing it on Graham Slater's weekly radio show. I thought, perhaps, a little too "disco" for a soul night but sounded great anyway and the floor seemed to like it. JM's got one on his site for sale and in the info he sez "taking off! Classic club tune making a comeback on the Northern Soul scene".

So, is it really taking off/getting hammered elsewhere?

Was it spun back in the day?

Social source share

• Replies 44
  • Views 3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Great record :lol:

Big Clifton Hall spin back in the early 80s.

Getting a bit of a revived interest due to the Kirk Franklin sampling on Looking For You.

That's interesting mate - I remember hearing this somewhere but didn't think it was Clifton Hall - I'm sure you're right though. Any ideas as to who spun it there?

:lol:

Social source share

Guest Karen Heath

That's interesting mate - I remember hearing this somewhere but didn't think it was Clifton Hall - I'm sure you're right though. Any ideas as to who spun it there?

:lol:

My other half, (Victor Sanchez) was playing it last year, just in London though. (Some people loved it-some people moaned!)

The Kirk Franklin is a great record as is the original Patrice Rushen which I have never tired of since buying it as a new release many moons ago when I was still at school! :lol:

Social source share

Guest Bearsy

It certainly did go down well at KSC and i was pleasently suprised as not a lot of Disco normally gets spun there but that and many other disco that was played went down very well on the night, some didnt like it and had a moan but you cant please everyone all the time i guess, definately room for a few more tunes like that on any night out but please not all night :lol:

Social source share

It certainly did go down well at KSC and i was pleasently suprised as not a lot of Disco normally gets spun there but that and many other disco that was played went down very well on the night, some didnt like it and had a moan but you cant please everyone all the time i guess, definately room for a few more tunes like that on any night out but please not all night :lol:

hahahah you did half hour of it , so stop moaning .. Sell that BMW and get two more 60's records Bearsy :lol::wicked:

Social source share

I always thought is was a Jazz Funk Soul classic really .. I was shocked at the good dancefloor reaction that these sort of sounds had at Kent Soul .. as was 60's Mafia type Bearsy :lol:

I'd agree with you....'Jazz Funk Soul classic really"

Easy to remember as there were so very few Jazz Funk classics.

Social source share

I'd agree with you....'Jazz Funk Soul classic really"

Easy to remember as there were so very few Jazz Funk classics.

I agree too , the real Jazz Funk period was very short indeed , .. They still play the same tunes ( 1978-1983) at Caister today !!

Social source share

Actually Simon some of that crowd are listening to the likes of The Invitations and Chuck Cockerham.

It's northern soul is it? But who cares. If Lou Rawls "SYWIGT" can get accepted why not others of a similar ilk? It's all good soul music as far as I'm concerned. :lol:

Social source share

Actually Simon some of that crowd are listening to the likes of The Invitations and Chuck Cockerham.

It's northern soul is it? But who cares. If Lou Rawls "SYWIGT" can get accepted why not others of a similar ilk? It's all good soul music as far as I'm concerned. :lol:

I agree Dave , I was genralzing again sorry !! .. However I did witness a a old friend of mine trying to explain to some USA soul fans why he only liked soul music made before 31/12/1969 , it was quite funny :lol:

Edited by Simon M
Social source share

thumbsup.gif

Just had a call from a mate & asked him who played this at CH & he said no one so I guess your'e right.

Can remember me & an old mate playing it as a new release at Crookesmoor club in Sheffield in 1980.

Sort of borrowed some speakers from a local parks bandstand & must have had the loudest sound system in Sheffield at the time until it went up in flames with me behind the decks.

Great memories.

Social source share

Don't worry lol, I didn't take it personally. I'm wasn't one of them. Loads are still into the NS oldies equivalent scene though. I just think it's funny that some old Caisterites are now enjoying rare soul and NS fans are enjoying Lou Rawls and Patrice Rushen. I've always loved all of it.

Social source share

Don't worry lol, I didn't take it personally. I'm wasn't one of them. Loads are still into the NS oldies equivalent scene though. I just think it's funny that some old Caisterites are now enjoying rare soul and NS fans are enjoying Lou Rawls and Patrice Rushen. I've always loved all of it.

Drizabone was the real surprise for me at KSC ,.. I remember being given a promo from the band at some Ilford nightclub years and years ago !! .. by the way their CD is nice !!

Social source share

Just had a call from a mate & asked him who played this at CH & he said no one so I guess your'e right. I couldn't remember hearing it there - but I can't remember much these days! I did a bit of spinning in the early 80's - mostly new stuff, and seem to recall playing this once or twice.

Can remember me & an old mate playing it as a new release at Crookesmoor club in Sheffield in 1980.

Sort of borrowed some speakers from a local parks bandstand & must have had the loudest sound system in Sheffield at the time until it went up in flames with me behind the decks. Those were the days mate - I think we all had lots of innocent fun! :unsure:

Great memories.

:thumbsup:

Social source share

Guest Bearsy

Drizabone was the real surprise for me at KSC ,.. I remember being given a promo from the band at some Ilford nightclub years and years ago !! .. by the way their CD is nice !!

ive played it there a couple of times now so it is known along with the other more popular known stuff, Mischief gave it to me as a present of his undying love for me :thumbsup: honestly :unsure:

Social source share

Just had a call from a mate & asked him who played this at CH & he said no one so I guess your'e right.

Sort of borrowed some speakers from a local parks bandstand & must have had the loudest sound system in Sheffield at the time until it went up in flames with me behind the decks.

Great memories.

Must have been played somewhere as i bought a copy around the time of release unless that modern scallywag at the time Steve G recommended it or it was reviewed in BlackBeat ? I don't know, piece of pap anyway :wub: imo of course :wicked: (only joshing Stubbsie)

Social source share

ive played it there a couple of times now so it is known along with the other more popular known stuff, Mischief gave it to me as a present of his undying love for me :yes: honestly :yes:

But Bearsy I thought you only liked Mod and oldies stuff! We'll soon have you as fully fledged member of the dark side! :wub:

:wicked:

Social source share

Must have been played somewhere as i bought a copy around the time of release unless that modern scallywag at the time Steve G recommended it or it was reviewed in BlackBeat ? I don't know, piece of pap anyway :wub: imo of course :wicked: (only joshing Stubbsie)

So that's another one your owning up to buying then. Bloody hell, you must have bought some pap in your time :yes:

Social source share

Guest Bearsy

But Bearsy I thought you only liked Mod and oldies stuff! We'll soon have you as fully fledged member of the dark side! :yes:

:wicked:

Lets get one thing straight here Peter :wub: , i aint a mod and have never been and mod music has never done it for me NEVER :no::lol: ,

As for the dark side is there any such thing :yes: an open mind is a welcoming mind and all info shall be filtered with the same integrity as the last, how do you know what you dont like if you dont listen, dont get me wrong i dont like it all but does anybody :huh:

anyway the darkside sounds good whatever it is :shhh:

Social source share

Lets get one thing straight here Peter :wicked: , i aint a mod and have never been and mod music has never done it for me NEVER :lol::huh: , Yeah - but I had you going didn't I :no:

:wub:

As for the dark side is there any such thing :yes: an open mind is a welcoming mind and all info shall be filtered with the same integrity as the last, how do you know what you dont like if you dont listen, dont get me wrong i dont like it all but does anybody :shhh:Very articulately put mate

anyway the darkside sounds good whatever it is :yes:I couldn't possibly comment mate

:D

Social source share

Heard this played at Kent Soul Club, by Ginger Lou, Saturday night. First time I'd heard it played out, having just acquired a UK issue on the strength of hearing it on Graham Slater's weekly radio show. I thought, perhaps, a little too "disco" for a soul night but sounded great anyway and the floor seemed to like it. JM's got one on his site for sale and in the info he sez "taking off! Classic club tune making a comeback on the Northern Soul scene".

Hammered back in the day, and again in the summer of 98 when it was sampled for a house tune by Daddy's Favourite - the riff & chorus would be known by every clubber from London to Ibiza & beyond !!!!

An 'Ibeefa Anfem' as they say down 'ere.......always a great original tho'........

Girf

Social source share

• 2 weeks later...

Goodness me when i see threads like this i wonder where everyone was back in 79/80?????

this was a massive club sound, Lofty at the sands club whitley bay, Pete simpson at Churchills even Ruben Condy at the Burgundy Cobbler give it a spin and these were only Disco DJ's, was massive up the toon clubs also, especially Julies.

When I here or see "this was a clifton hall sound/spin"????? i scratch my head, it was a general club sound and was blasted on Metro radio Daily.

Great sound still have my original 12" and play it regularly...

Geeooordie

Social source share

It always reminded me of Roy Dawson - 'Over The Top'

eerily as I read your post Roy dawson came on my PC so had a listen to PR from the Pizaazz album

and have to disagree they don't sound similar to me ........... where's my cotton buds.

Social source share

It is a great tune ! The recent Kirk Franklin - Looking for you, is a sampled of version of Patrice Rushen.

Kirk Franklin getting a few more spins than Patrice at the moment!!!

Social source share

Hi John, this was a big, big record back in 79 amongst the more discerning "Soul Boy" ( God I hate that term). A personal fav of mine, less comercial than "Forgetmeknots" but the better cut. As Girth says was sampled a few times and hence the rift is well known amongst clubbers. It's refreshing to here that some of these tunes are getting plays on the rare soul scene. I've always maintained that there are many of the better jazz Funk tunes, as opposed to out and out disco dross that would comfortably sit along side more conventional "Northern" tracks when played to a dance floor. More openmindedness would reveal a plethora of fine dance music to a new audiance.

I've never understood why The Hudson People's "Trip to Your Mind" and Chantel Curtis's " Get Another Love" have never been played or accepted on the Northern scene, yet tracks such as Drizabone "Pressure" , The Futures "Party Time Man" and Mellow Madness's "Save The Youth" have.

Going back to the seventies and early eighties, many of the Jazz Funk (loosly termed) LP's, contained many great soul tracks, but were mainly passed over by the Northern scene, as it predominantly collected 45's only.

Strutt's "Said You Didn't Love Her" was lifted from a massive Jazz Funk Lp !!

And check out disco transvestite, Sylvesta's "Here Is My Love"

Food for thought, and it will be interesting if Soul Sam picks up on any of these tracks, as to how widely they are accepted in the future.

Cheers D'Arcy

Social source share

Hi John, this was a big, big record back in 79 amongst the more discerning "Soul Boy" ( God I hate that term). A personal fav of mine, less comercial than "Forgetmeknots" but the better cut. As Girth says was sampled a few times and hence the rift is well known amongst clubbers. It's refreshing to here that some of these tunes are getting plays on the rare soul scene. I've always maintained that there are many of the better jazz Funk tunes, as opposed to out and out disco dross that would comfortably sit along side more conventional "Northern" tracks when played to a dance floor. More openmindedness would reveal a plethora of fine dance music to a new audiance.

I've never understood why The Hudson People's "Trip to Your Mind" and Chantel Curtis's " Get Another Love" have never been played or accepted on the Northern scene, yet tracks such as Drizabone "Pressure" , The Futures "Party Time Man" and Mellow Madness's "Save The Youth" have.

Going back to the seventies and early eighties, many of the Jazz Funk (loosly termed) LP's, contained many great soul tracks, but were mainly passed over by the Northern scene, as it predominantly collected 45's only.

Strutt's "Said You Didn't Love Her" was lifted from a massive Jazz Funk Lp !!

And check out disco transvestite, Sylvesta's "Here Is My Love"

Food for thought, and it will be interesting if Soul Sam picks up on any of these tracks, as to how widely they are accepted in the future.

Cheers D'Arcy

did you lass do that post for ya biggrin.gif

10/10 agree 100% with your/her comments

Social source share

Guest mel brat

The fantastic "Haven't You Heard" was HUGE as a new release in late 1979/early 1980 at the Rum Runner Jazz Funk nights and elsewhere and I don't see why it shouldn't get a few spins in the 70s rooms. Ashford & Simpson and Donald Byrd's "Loving You" got some revived action, so why not Patrice's gem? Gotta be the full length 12", (released in UK on Elektra, early 1980), as the fabulous jazzy keyboard break makes it particularly haunting. (Also beware the much later 80s remix!)

Edited by mel brat
Social source share

Guest mel brat

I agree too , the real Jazz Funk period was very short indeed , .. They still play the same tunes ( 1978-1983) at Caister today !!

I disagree. I'd say the Jazz-Funk period ran from at least 1976 (Johnny Hammond, Donald Byrd, Ronnie Laws) to 1979/80 and beyond (Japanese albums), and there are HUNDREDS of classics. When did you last hear Players Association "Let's Groove", or Lee Ritenour's "Fly By Night" played out?

Social source share

So what is the original 12" label then, are you sure its legit?

Think you will find the CD was out some time before it even crept out on vinyl so if you are truly original only it should be CD. Sorry.

Ok reading off the "ZOMBA" label right now!! It states that this was taken from the "HERO" album,and will be out on Fo yo Soul/ Zomba Gospel CD soon!! wink.gif As you can see :boxing:

Edited by martell
Social source share

Remember hearing it at a Brum Locarno all dayer (northern room) as a new release can't remember who played it tho

Nice longer version on the LP "Pizaaz"

Cheers Paul

[/quote

I remember this played a brum locarno aswell

was this played in the jazz funk room aswell cant remember ??? (brains going) :huh:

jock

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert