Leighton Buzzard Nights?

Hi,

I'm new to the forum, and to Northern Soul really,

but I was wondering, does anybody have any information or stories about nights in Leighton Buzzard?

I'm from LB, and was shocked to hear that there were any Northern Soul nights here. Unicorn seems to have come up when I searched.

So if anybody had anything to say I'd be pretty interested.

Cheers.

Social source share

• Replies 66
  • Views 11.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Hi,

but I was wondering, does anybody have any information or stories about nights in Leighton Buzzard?

I'm from LB, and was shocked to hear that there were any Northern Soul nights here. Unicorn seems to have come up when I searched.

Cheers.

Hi mate....and welcome....although there are quite a few of us on here who use to attend the all nighters at the Unicorn club during the 80s....your best bet is to get in touch with Jon Buck, who use to promote them...he is on here...hope that is helpful.....Delxx

Social source share

Hey, cheers for those super fast replies, and those scans would be much appreciated.

Thanks

Loook in photo`s for J Bukc`s photo`s,loads of pictures of the place buzzin`.....incl me :)

Social source share

Guest Gavin Page

Ken's right Liquidator, Jon Buck was and is the promoter of RSG Buzzard events.

>JB Pics Link<

Had some killer times there...

post-2216-1187203209_thumb.jpg

Soul Brother Gavin Page is also from Leighton Buzzard. :)

Yep, I am ! Lots of great Soul Nights around LB through the 80s and 90s and F.L Moores the record shop as well.

Edited by Gavin Page
Social source share

Anyone remember the night the power failed and was off and on for half the night?

Used to happen all the time,infact at the first reunion it happend :(

Social source share

Stunned by my youth :( (red x) from this Buzzard crowd shot from the Unicorn circa 1985.

post-2216-1187219930_thumb.jpg

Buzzard Jocks Adam, Keb, Baz Ryley (R.I.P), Jon, Danny Everard, Mark & Brian.

post-2216-1187220163_thumb.jpg

LARGE CROWD PICTURE 4TH FROM THE LEFT IS ME , KEN MAYBE NEXT TO ME UN JUMPING JOAN?? BIT FURTHER ON TOWARDS THE MIDDLE. THINK MARK B RUN AFEW MINNIE BUSSES FROM NORTH WALES THERE THEN.

AS HE LIVED IN COLWYN BAY AT THE TIME..HAPPY DAYS :unsure::lol:

think beuy ?? is or was from buzzard , he`s on here too

steve Thomas

Edited by steve thomas
Social source share

LARGE CROWD PICTURE 4TH FROM THE LEFT IS ME , KEN MAYBE NEXT TO ME UN JUMPING JOAN?? BIT FURTHER ON TOWARDS THE MIDDLE. THINK MARK B RUN AFEW MINNIE BUSSES FROM NORTH WALES THERE THEN.

AS HE LIVED IN COLWYN BAY AT THE TIME..HAPPY DAYS :(:unsure:

think beuy ?? is or was from buzzard , he`s on here too

steve Thomas

Buey, Kenny & Louise ...med_gallery_2461_72_19464.jpg

Didn't see Ken in main crowd shot pic. Was taken by local paper, we were told there was going to be a write up about the club, though I never saw it..

Edited by Ian Sims
Social source share

Didn't see Ken in main crowd shot pic. Was taken by local paper, we were told there was going to be a write up about the club, though I never saw it..

Can see fellow mod Joan in the pic. Remember saying "that Tony Galla's a good record innit"? To which she replied "yeah it was about three years ago".. :( She was very forthright even then! :lol::lol: That was last we spoke, 23 years ago ...

Who`s Louise,dont remember her :unsure:

Edited by ken
Social source share

Can see fellow mod Joan in the pic. Remember saying "that Tony Galla's a good record innit"? To which she replied "yeah it was about three years ago".. :( She was very full of herself even then! :lol::lol: That was last we spoke, 23 years ago ...

:unsure::lol::lol:

Edited by jumpinjoan
Social source share

Hi,

Cheers.

I always seemed to be in the areas at the wrong time - I lived in Leighton Buzzard 1978-1981 and djed at the Unicorn ( when it was run by Stan ) as well as the Black Lion with Ronnie King

In those days it was a standard club night, though jazz funk went down well - also had nights at Spiders Web Club at RAF Stanbridge

No sign of any northern soul in those days - and as I'd just returned from Cyprus I thought it had gone forever - glad to have been proved wrong

Wulfie

Edited by Wulfie09
Social source share

• 1 month later...

Hi,

Cheers.

L/Buzzard was renowned for having one of the biggest concentration of soul collections in the country, :unsure: but without a main venue at least to play the sodding things. Black Horse soul/jazz/funk nites on tuesdays was great with people coming from all over the south and midlands, in its day it was on a par with Frames, the Norfolk Village. :ohmy:

The Man in Black

Social source share

Guest Marcus B

Just speaking to Gavin last night about my old days back in L.Buzzard going to the Black Horse during midweek and the other gaff (which I can't remmeber but held on Tuesday Nights,early 90's).

Not the Unicorn as b4 my time .

Funnily enuff you mention a large collection of Soul Boys in L.B. Are they living here !!

Soulbury. Wot a name for you postcode. biggrin.gif

https://www.streetmap.co.uk/newmap.srf?x=48...p=newsearch.srf

Marcus

Edited by Marcus B
Social source share

i used to enjoy the buzzard nighters though they were never very 'upfront' as we now say.

have posted before about the night in 85/6 ish when 'footsteps' by womack and womack filled the floor and got cheered, when it was in the charts ohmy.gif

also the famous occasion when we turned up to find it was cancelled but jon had got us in at the local blue circle works social club. i recall going mad to cajun hart at about 5.30am, looking down and realising i was dancing in what was effectively cement... sweat and dust combined. ruined my shoes biggrin.gif

Social source share

i used to enjoy the buzzard nighters though they were never very 'upfront' as we now say.

have posted before about the night in 85/6 ish when 'footsteps' by womack and womack filled the floor and got cheered, when it was in the charts :lol:

also the famous occasion when we turned up to find it was cancelled but jon had got us in at the local blue circle works social club. i recall going mad to cajun hart at about 5.30am, looking down and realising i was dancing in what was effectively cement... sweat and dust combined. ruined my shoes :yes:

wasnt the rsg 10th anniversary at the blue circle club i seem to recall wink.gif oh happy days

Social source share

• 1 month later...

Yep, I am ! Lots of great Soul Nights around LB through the 80s and 90s and F.L Moores the record shop as well.

And not forgetting the Legendary (drinking)sessions at the BLACK HORSE...Did Ronnie Dyson play live there or did i just dream it.

Social source share

L/Buzzard was renowned for having one of the biggest concentration of soul collections in the country, :P but without a main venue at least to play the sodding things. Black Horse soul/jazz/funk nites on tuesdays was great with people coming from all over the south and midlands, in its day it was on a par with Frames, the Norfolk Village. :thumbsup:

The Man in Black

Social source share

• 3 months later...
Guest Gary Charman

Hi,

Cheers.

Social source share

Guest Leigh J

Stunned by my youth :thumbsup: (red x) from this Buzzard crowd shot from the Unicorn circa 1985.

Weasel far right , im in there too with hair and about 8 stone lighter , the dayers were great , after Notts palais .

Social source share

Gary

Yea they did, I can remember, me my wife, Cong from Congleton!, Curly from Middlesborough and Dunc from Warrington driving down from Wigan for about an hour before deciding we wanted to go to the Bank Holiday Nighter at the Wheel and drove all the way back

Happy days?????????? :thumbsup:

Social source share

Guest Gavin Page

Gary

Yea they did, I can remember, me my wife, Cong from Congleton!, Curly from Middlesborough and Dunc from Warrington driving down from Wigan for about an hour before deciding we wanted to go to the Bank Holiday Nighter at the Wheel and drove all the way back

Happy days?????????? :thumbsup:

Happy times indeed in my home town.

What ever happend to Dunc ?

Social source share

He got married, had kids and runs his own business now

I got him to go Lowton about a year ago and we meet up quite regularly now, in fact I'm going to Lowton with him tomorrow

He keeps talking about starting a record collection again, we will have to wait and see

Although he hasnt changed much he can still be heard shouting " get this sh1te off" when a record he doesnt like or modern gets played, exactly as he did 20 years ago :thumbsup:

Social source share

Stunned by my youth :thumbsup: (red x) from this Buzzard crowd shot from the Unicorn circa 1985.

The guy front right in the glasses that has got to be weasel from nuneaton. Buzzard niters wer ace. as are Jons photos now gotta be one of the best collections

..... Martin from crewe, loads of the real deal soul folk. makes me very proud that I have spend over half my life in the Best company ever.

kimbo.

Social source share

The guy front right in the glasses that has got to be weasel from nuneaton. Buzzard niters wer ace. as are Jons photos now gotta be one of the best collections

..... Martin from crewe, loads of the real deal soul folk. makes me very proud that I have spend over half my life in the Best company ever.

kimbo.

Definately got to agree with you Kim. Buzzard niters were fantantic and the music policy was really exceptional!!! My hat goes off to Sue and Jon Buck as they did alot for the scene in the eighties, not only running Buzzard but Loughborough Town Hall (great vidoe!!), Dunstable, Peterborough Fleet, Hemel do's - Buttons and also responsible for great alnighters on the scooter scene at the time!!! They are a great couple who have been there for alot of people over the years including myself, I personally can not thank them enough!!

With regards to the main phone, here goes - from Left to right - Mad Mick, Brickie, Dave Lowe, Shaun Burnes, Joan, Ann, Me (over Miles left shoulder) Miles, Mark Jones (over Miles right shoulder) and Andre Douch!!! Numerous more I could name if I had a magnifying glass!!!

Love Karen and Rob xxx

Social source share

Came out one mornin' with Smokey a lad was there car bonnet open looking lost, "what's up" says our Mr Stokes, "come out the way i'll have a look" after 20 or so minutes, with bits of engine neatly lined up on the verge...Smokey say's "come on Harpo were off"....but what about me car say's this lad

"Sorry mate don't know f*** all about em" say's Smoke

as we amble away, me feelin a bit bad , but not as much as this poor geezer must have been....we laugh about it now...it was just one of those "PROJECTS" as Dave Allcock used to call 'em that you get you head into, then realise you aint gotta a clue what your doin'

To add to the lads hurt he could hardly have have made a fuss considerind the non-mechanics id

Sorry mate

Social source share

Came out one mornin' with Smokey a lad was there car bonnet open looking lost, "what's up" says our Mr Stokes, "come out the way i'll have a look" after 20 or so minutes, with bits of engine neatly lined up on the verge...Smokey say's "come on Harpo were off"....but what about me car say's this lad

"Sorry mate don't know f*** all about em" say's Smoke

as we amble away, me feelin a bit bad , but not as much as this poor geezer must have been....we laugh about it now...it was just one of those "PROJECTS" as Dave Allcock used to call 'em that you get you head into, then realise you aint gotta a clue what your doin'

To add to the lads hurt he could hardly have have made a fuss considerind the non-mechanics id

Sorry mate

Feccin brill harpo.... this is what i mean when youre with real deal soul folk the best times are just around the corner. Heres to many more projects mate, to undertake a project such as that, a certain plane of consciousness needs to be attained. That story has made me piss myself brilliant.

Social source share

• 4 weeks later...

Hi,

Cheers.

mE,

I've lived in Luton for 40 odd years, loads of us from Luton used to go over the Black Horse on Saturday nights back in '71-'72, Northern Soul out the back room of pub, Bob Cosby and John Turner used to DJ, was talking to Bob recently, and mentioned a CD I 'd aquired a couple of weeks earlier showing two meaty legs booted up with Doc Martins, girls legs shades.gif , on their grip are various nighter badges, one of them being LB nighter, but like you I was surprised, I'd missed it, changes in recreational abuse changes your taste in music. These days serious listening is rock music, Northern is what I listen to, when I'm driving and loaded on the pod.

Top sounds at Black Horse on Saturday nights, 08.00 till 11.00 closing time inc Angel Baby/George Carrow, Just like the weather/Nolan Chance, I've got something good/Sam and Kitty, Love reputation/Denise LaSalle(my copy), Gotta draw the line/Darrow Fletcher, You're ready now/Frankie Valli(bloody good sound),You get your kicks/Mitch Ryder and last, but not least, Long After Tonight is All over....Jimmy Radcliffe amen.

Social source share

Guest shaun evans

Ken's right Liquidator, Jon Buck was and is the promoter of RSG Buzzard events.

>JB Pics Link<

Had some killer times there...

post-2216-1187203209_thumb.jpg

Soul Brother Gavin Page is also from Leighton Buzzard. :thumbup:

:P he was we sent him 2 coventry :unsure: few soulboyz left in leighton BOB COSBY,DAVE HALSALL,DARREN PERRY

and myself

Social source share

Guest Gavin Page

:unsure: he was we sent him 2 coventry :thumbup: few soulboyz left in leighton BOB COSBY,DAVE HALSALL,DARREN PERRY

and myself

Coventry, I am in Westcliff On Sea :P

:D:lol:

Social source share

Guest shaun evans

I keep telling you, you are old :thumbup:

:lol: you get there 1 day (i 'm still young at heart) been watching dvd of uin 1983-1987 some good stuff :unsure::P:D

Social source share

Guest shaun evans

:unsure:

L/Buzzard was renowned for having one of the biggest concentration of soul collections in the country, :P but without a main venue at least to play the sodding things. Black Horse soul/jazz/funk nites on tuesdays was great with people coming from all over the south and midlands, in its day it was on a par with Frames, the Norfolk Village. :D

The Man in Black

:thumbup: tried 2 start up Black Horse last year done 5 friday nites but dave the landlord p***ed me around wanker.gif so i gave it up still looking for a new venue

Social source share

Guest shaun evans

Hi,

Cheers.

:unsure: welcome enjoy and have fun :thumbup:

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!