Reggae Got Soul?

Hi all

Been reading the forum for a while and just registered so i'm probably going to get hammered for my first post but here goes anyway :thumbsup:

I love original Jamaican Ska/Reggae as well as Northern and was just wondering if any of you like a bit of Ska? I have been collecting Ska for over 20 years and the influece of Soul in lots of tracks is massive, i can upload some examples if anyone is interested?

All the best

Social source share

• Replies 18
  • Views 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Guest dundeedavie

Hi all

Been reading the forum for a while and just registered so i'm probably going to get hammered for my first post but here goes anyway  :thumbsup:

I love original Jamaican Ska/Reggae as well as Northern and was just wondering if any of you like a bit of Ska? I have been collecting Ska for over 20 years and the influece of Soul in lots of tracks is massive, i can upload some examples if anyone is interested?

All the best

link

do both at same time

lloyd and glen, glen miller , errol dixon .....and all available on the trojan comp "work your soul " without having to spend hundreds and hundreds

Davie

Social source share

See if you can find that post I sent in where I sent up loads of rare 60's labels mate...you'll enjoy those...I'll try and find the link

link

Hi Pete

Yeh i would like a butchers at the link cheers.

Have you heard "It's a lie" ernest wilson?

Social source share

Hi all

Been reading the forum for a while and just registered so i'm probably going to get hammered for my first post but here goes anyway  :thumbsup:

All the best

link

I love rocksteady , and can really recommend the new album by Bittie Mclean " on bond street " [ Peckings ] as it uses original backing tracks from Treasure Isle label, with new songs over the top , great version of David Ruffin's " Walk away from love " - but every track is a gem , to be honest .Best Wishes ,Eddie .

Social source share

Guest Richard Bergman

Hi all

All the best

link

Really like alot of sweet soul / rocksteady stuff , never been a fan of ska really

Recommend Jackie Opel to fellowsoul sourcers

Social source share

Guest Doctor Bird

try collecting both, soul and reggae; big big fan of Duke Reid's Rocksteady years (especially "Mr. Soul of Jamaica" Alton Ellis)

Have you heard "It's a lie" ernest wilson?

nice tune on Crab, but prefer his version of My Elusive Dreams, which he did a bit earlier

Social source share

Guest Stuart T

I love rocksteady , and can really recommend the new album by Bittie Mclean " on bond street " [ Peckings ]  as it uses original backing tracks from Treasure Isle label, with new songs over the top , great version of David Ruffin's " Walk away from love " - but every track is a gem , to be honest .Best Wishes ,Eddie .

link

Good call, I've been recommending this to anyone who will listen and even gave copies as Christmas presents this year. In Your Heart (?) is sublime.

Best Jamaican soul for me at the moment has to be the Tenors version of The Whole World Is A Stage. Best recent CD is the Slim Smith double set on Trojan. Every track oozes soul.

Social source share

I love thumping old ska n rocksteady & sometimes a big of dub, if i'm feeling sedated. I love the skatalites & the ethiopians & prince buster & my fav lp is You Left Me Standing. I dont understand Lovers Rock

Pete do you still do compilation cds? I got one off you before & it was incredible

Social source share

Guest CapitolSC

Hey Stuart wheres my copy?

Gotta agree with ya slim smith and the uniques just ooze soul.

But just listen to Ken Booths version of the tops reach out ill be there

on the gaz rockin blues cd its the dogs bollocks only came out on Jamaican so a tuff tune ta find.

Al H

Social source share

I love thumping old ska n rocksteady & sometimes a big of dub, if i'm feeling sedated. I love the skatalites & the ethiopians & prince buster & my fav lp is You Left Me Standing. I dont understand Lovers Rock

Pete do you still do compilation cds? I got one off you before & it was incredible

link

Yeah I do one for myself most days...just did an 80 minute live comp staright off the decks, want me to send it? Great for parties, weddings, that sort of thing, includes stuff like

upsetters - dry acid

wailers - hypocrite, simmer down

baba brooks - girls town ska

dobby dobson - i wasn't born yesterday

u roy - hot bomb

alton ellis - breaking up, rocksteady, i'm just a guy

loads more...I'd like to get that converted so it can be downloaded but have no idea how to 'shrink it', anyone help??

Social source share

Guest Doctor Bird

amazing tune, but that's Derrick Harriott or?do you know where it came out in JA, Crystal maybe??????

just bought Busty Browns version of Don't Look Back on Doctor Bird, another great cover of a motown tune

Social source share

Good call, I've been recommending this to anyone who will listen and even gave copies as Christmas presents this year.  In Your Heart (?) is sublime.

Best Jamaican soul for me at the moment has to be the Tenors version of The Whole World Is A Stage.    Best recent CD is the Slim Smith double set on Trojan.  Every track oozes soul.

link

Glad you like it as well Stuart, I love the version of " Make it with you " using the backing of " Queen Majesty ".Is that Tenors track on any CD ? I'm still really learning about Reggae, though I do love most of Beres Hammond's output as well .Best Wishes ,Eddie .

Social source share

Guest Stuart T

Hey Stuart wheres my copy?

Gotta agree with ya slim smith and the uniques just ooze soul.

on the gaz rockin blues cd its the dogs bollocks only came out on Jamaican so a tuff tune ta find.

Al H

link

Oops, err, didn't the post man deliver it? Took me ages to wrap. smile.gif

Love that Ken Booth, worth the price of the CD alone. See theres a Ten Penny Nail on e.bay.

You coming on Saturday?

Social source share

Hi all

All the best

link

I'm no expert on reggae but 2 tunes spring to mind due to the topic's title.

Johnny Nash's You got soul

Toots & the Maytals Reggae got soul

I think that both these tunes are soulful, but don't think either would fit into a Northern set.

Erroll Dixon's The Hoop has been played out, no complaints there as far as I'm concerned

Social source share

Yeah I do one for myself most days...just did an 80 minute live comp staright off the decks, want me to send it?  Great for parties, weddings, that sort of thing, includes stuff like

upsetters - dry acid

u roy - hot bomb

loads more...I'd like to get that converted so it can be downloaded but have no idea how to 'shrink it', anyone help??

link

i would like a cd please pete?

shane

Social source share

Yeah I do one for myself most days...just did an 80 minute live comp staright off the decks, want me to send it?  Great for parties, weddings, that sort of thing, includes stuff like

upsetters - dry acid

u roy - hot bomb

link

Some great tunes there Pete, enjoyed looking through the scans you posted too, Slim Smith has got an amazing voice would of been intersting to hear him recording some real Northern stuff.

Saw A J Franklin from The Chosen Few perform live in London last year he sang "Your a big girl now" and the whole place erupted because his vocals were amazing live, could teach a few of the performers today a thing or two.

Edited by rudeboy1969
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!