Chubby Checker "you Just Don't Know" Parkway

Guest northwest vinyl

Guest northwest vinyl

I'm taking offers on a US copy of Chubby Checker "You Just Don't Know" on Parkway 965, demo in lovely VG++ condition and plays perfectly. The label has a circle drawn in pen (see pic) on the A side.

Most of the records in my first set sale are also still available.

post-2339-1108417410_thumb.jpg

Edited by northwest vinyl
Social source share

soul auctionsTap here for 24hr ebay Lists  Sign in to Switch Ebay Lists OFF 
  • Replies 70
  • Views 10.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Posted Images

I'm not really sure of the value, I haven't seen one for sale before...

link

Price fixin`well i never,we have price fishin` now!,anyway would think its worth £200quids,i am sure somebody will tell you they got there`s for two bob or something,have they tried findin` something they really want,to sum it up i like wants list dont like sales lists,not seen this for yonk`s,where have we heard this before,some times i wonder? were these people are lookin`,or is it selective memory?,get ready with fishin`price portable players,at car boots i mean i got one but records at 50p/£2 woud not embarace myself!,these are just envious and do not have the bottle too value something of there own backs,if i had not valued harlem rumble,gillets,brice coeffield,mickie champion,and dozons more you luckie people who got em`,wouldnt have em,nobody ever well rarely,tells you they got that off ken for peanuts,but they soon moan when they think? they have paid too much!.backdoor 100club.

Edited by kenneth aitchison
Social source share

I'm through with eBay! I figure I'll give this a try. I have been collecting and sell soul 45s for many years -- you can check out my feedback on eBay, user name: northwest_records.
I'm not really sure of the value, I haven't seen one for sale before...

value :shades:

10 bucks whistling.gif

i think u r full of shite ph34r.gif

Social source share

Guest northwest vinyl

value :shades:

10 bucks whistling.gif

i think u r full of shite ph34r.gif

link

That's very neighborly, thanks.

So because I collect and sell records, I am supposed to know the value of every record? Perhaps this record is more common than I realized but I certainly have not seen a US copy for sale before, only British or European.

Social source share

That's very neighborly, thanks.

So because I collect and sell records, I am supposed to know the value of every record?  Perhaps this record is more common than I realized but I certainly have not seen a US copy for sale before, only British or European.

link

YES and i have seen US copys before £200,sold spanish one not that long ago?i will not say how much!but i did give him a price and he paid it,if i sold it too cheap whats it matter,dont think so though!not that stupid just act like it?anyway how much did you pay for it?i`ll tell you how much i payed for mine?.back-door 100club

Social source share

Guest northwest vinyl

YES and i have seen US copys before £200,sold spanish one not that long ago?i will not say how much!but i did give him a price and he paid it,if i sold it too cheap whats it matter,dont think so though!not that stupid just act like it?anyway how much did you pay for it?i`ll tell you how much i payed for mine?.back-door 100club

link

I have no idea what you're talking about.

Social source share

I have no idea what you're talking about.

link

Sorry northwest records,if anybody else dont understand?tell me,and will stop posting!!sorry again.backdoor 100club

Social source share

Interesting debate this one. In many businesses sellers look for a specific amount of gross profit on items they sell and if that is 50% and they buy something for £10 they are happy with £20 as a selling price. Records are different somehow people want to buy very cheap and sell at top dollar. That is fine when they know what a record is 'worth' and they offer it for that, but if they don't know what it is worth surely they know what they paid and how much profit they are happy with.

If they don't know the value how do they know they fulfilled their commitments like "top prices paid for collections" or is fine not to know the value when you are buying off some unsuspecting widow / kids of a one time collector?

This is in no way a personal dig at anyone on this thread I was just wondering thats all. whistling.gif

Social source share

A couple of points, why pick on Northwest just cos he's trying to sell a record - that Chubby Checker is super-rare on US and has to be worth £500 easily, I've had Vickie Baines, Yvonne Baker a couple of times but never had a sniff of a copy of CC.

The Spanish YJDK that usually turns up is the reissue from 76 with a pic sleeve, if it was released before that I apologise kenny, it shouldn't be worth more than £30.

Social source share

Interesting debate this one. In many businesses sellers look for a specific amount of gross profit on items they sell and if that is 50% and they buy something for £10 they are happy with £20 as a selling price. Records are different somehow people want to buy very cheap and sell at top dollar. That is fine when they know what a record is 'worth' and they offer it for that, but if they don't know what it is worth surely they know what they paid and how much profit they are happy with.

If they don't know the value how do they know they fulfilled their commitments like "top prices paid for collections" or is fine not to know the value when you are buying off some unsuspecting widow / kids of a one time collector?

This is in no way a personal dig at anyone on this thread I was just wondering thats all.  whistling.gif

link

Didnt elplain this better myself??,back-door.

Social source share

Well done, looks like you've got rid of a pretty decent 'new' poster.

I've talked in length to this guy, he's like a lot of us in that he sells a few records to be able to pay for more..... Nothing more than that.

I've sold 5 copies of the U.K. "you just dont...", but only ever had the chance of 2 U.S. copies, one copy in 94 & a rough one 2 years ago. The one in 94 was over £300 then.

Don't get me wrong, like the rest of you, if this guy was to have put a price of £200 on this record, it would have been a free for all, & i would have been in the queue as well. But he didn't, he wants to find out what its worth first. Whats wrong with that! Is it beacause he's American?

The result of all this, he's going back to sticking them on ebay. Like he said to me "where at least people are a little more civil"

Cut the bloke some slack, for f..ks sake.

Social source share

I've talked in length to this guy, he's like a lot of us in that he sells a few records to be able to pay for more..... Nothing more than that.

I've sold 5 copies of the U.K. "you just dont...", but only ever had the chance of 2 U.S. copies, one copy in 94 & a rough one 2 years ago. The one in 94 was over £300 then.

Don't get me wrong, like the rest of you, if this guy was to have put a price of £200 on this record, it would have been a free for all, & i would have been in the queue as well. But he didn't, he wants to find out what its worth first. Whats wrong with that! Is it beacause he's American?

The result of all this, he's going back to sticking them on ebay. Like he said to me "where at least people are a little more civil"

link

All too serious for me,ady i did say sorry to the guy,didnt think,i never do,even i go round askin`punters how much records worth,and youve had a few off me thinks?,sorry ady see ya soon somewhere.backdoor 100club PS thanks ged for tryin to explain what i said.

Edited by kenneth aitchison
Social source share

All too serious for me,ady i did say sorry to the guy,didnt think,i never do,even i go round askin`punters how much records worth,and youve had a few off me thinks?,sorry ady see ya soon somewhere.backdoor 100club  PS thanks ged for tryin to explain what i said.

link

Not a problem Ken.... Look forward to seeing you soon mate.

Ady.

Social source share

Guest northwest vinyl

Really never intended or expected to cause a flap -- I've seen many lists where the seller asked for offers without specifying a price so I didn't think it was a big deal. I still plan to try listing on here and I hope folks here will give me a shot, I'm think I'm a fair grader and an honest seller, I'm not trying to rip anybody off and I love soul music like you all do. And I won't be listing anything without a set price from now on!

Northwest Records

Social source share

Really never intended or expected to cause a flap -- I've seen many lists where the seller asked for offers without specifying a price so I didn't think it was a big deal.  I still plan to try listing on here and I hope folks here will give me a shot, I'm think I'm a fair grader and an honest seller, I'm not trying to rip anybody off and I love soul music like you all do.  And I won't be listing anything without a set price from now on!

Northwest Records

link

Nice to have you on board mate..... smile.gif

Ady

Social source share

Just like to explain my post

I ain't got much response maybe I should draw some attention

I'm taking offers on a US copy of Chubby Checker "You Just Don't Know" on Parkway 965, demo in lovely VG++

This should get some attention

This is the way I read the post and still think that someone who has been dealing in soul records for years and has seen how much the UK version sells for would know how much interest this would make and how valuble this record is.

Social source share

This is the way I read the post and still think that someone who has been dealing in soul records for years and has seen how much the UK version sells for would know how much interest this would make and how valuble this record is.

link

It is a hard record to price though - I think I'd be looking at offers if I had it. It's one of the few instances where the US copy is harder than the UK.

Social source share

Guest northwest vinyl

link

Firefly

Look, I don't fault anyone for a healthy sense of skepticism -- but:

1. you don't know me from Adam

2. you don't know why I might be considering selling the record

3. it doesn't seem that anyone knows what this record is worth so I'm hardly alone in that

so rather than calling me "full of shite" in a public forum, perhaps you ought to keep your skepticism to yourself.

northwest records

Social source share

Northwest Records

OK you are correct I should not have posted my thoughts in such a manner and I apologise for that but why should I keep my skepticism to myself.

1. I don't know you from Adam and alot of other people on this forum don't know you either.

2. I don't know why you might be considering selling the record or even if you have the record.

3. Nobody knows how much it is worth because it's been so long since one has been for sale so god knows how much someone will pay for it.

So I am skeptical that you would sell this record to someone on this forum.

Social source share

Northwest Records

OK you are correct I should not have posted my thoughts in such a manner and I apologise for that but why should I keep my skepticism to myself.

1. I don't know you from Adam and alot of other people on this forum don't know you either.

2. I don't know why you might be considering selling the record or even if you have the record.

3. Nobody knows how much it is worth because it's been so long since one has been for sale so god knows how much someone will pay for it.

So I am skeptical that you would sell this record to someone on this forum.

link

Give the man a break,he,s only doing what we all do,buy and sell records or in my case buy and buy records.Is the record still available because i will open the bidding at £250.

Regards :thumbsup:

Social source share

Lets face it we are all after a bargain and want to make money on what we sell if only to placate the wife / credit card company or to fund more record buying. I am perhaps worse than many rarely buying from anyone who knows the "Real Value" of what I'm buying.

I rarely sell anything any way though I will have a few choice items at for sale Prestatyn. They will all be priced though :thumbsup:

Any way no offence North West and welcome to the group. :lol:

Social source share

link

Well Ive just returned from New York where Manships price guide is well and alive.

The problem for me is that if it werent for our scene these records would be worthless(and crushed) and as this was a predominantly Uk scene it smells of

Taking advantage which is fine if you think its a free for all anyway!

Do you think I could sell a copy of Chubby Checker to an American for 1000 or even 500 dollars- I think not Its like selling ice cream to eskimos its a totally atificial economic sytem we are using for the host nation then to charge us our local rate if you get what I mean. In other words its worth bugger all there but its worth a lot here! :thumbsup:

Social source share

Well Ive just returned from New York where Manships price guide is well and alive.

The problem for me is that if it werent for our scene these records would be worthless(and crushed) and as this was a predominantly Uk scene it smells of

Do you think I could sell a copy of Chubby Checker to an American  for 1000 or even 500 dollars- I think not Its like selling ice cream to eskimos its a totally atificial economic sytem we are using for the host nation then to charge us our local rate if you get what I mean. In other words its worth bugger all there but its worth a lot here! :ohmy:

link

A tad unfair I think. For one the advent of the Wold Wide Web means it's a global market now. When I sell stuff on eBay it goes all over the world. I've sold soul 45s to Europe, the Far East, Australia and yes, even the USA.

Also, why should somebody's location preclude them from getting the best price for an item. It's not unknown for people in this country to sell antique furniture, for example, to the States as you can get a better price there.

The fact that US citizens are aware of the value of soul 45s nowadays is just part of the price we pay for having access to many more records.

You only have to look at how many of regularly buy from America now compared to 20 years ago.

We can't have it all our own way mate ph34r.gif

Godz

Edited by Godzilla
Social source share

slightly odd thread this isn't it?

must say I find your posts a little cryptic kenny but it all adds to the flavour

just one thing, i always grin when people accuse US dealers of ripping us off, considering that we've had about 35 years of (effectively) ripping them off...there are various people driving round in rolls royces or living in leicestershire mills on the back of buying up hauls of records worth £000s for a few $s and a fair few of us on here have had our own little victories as well. I've chopped and changed on price guides but i think broadly i'm in favour because while it has raised the price it's also raised awareness and as a consequence records which would probably have ended up being junked eventually are now coming onto the market. Plus which whatever anyone says there are still plenty of US dealers and little store owners who haven't got Manship's guide and there are also plenty of others who have but don't see it as a bible and are i) reasonable enough and ii) intelligent enough to treat it as a basis for negotiation.

btw welcome to the forum northwest...and what's your real name as a matter of interest?

Social source share

Do you think I could sell a copy of Chubby Checker to an American  for 1000 or even 500 dollars- I think not Its like selling ice cream to eskimos its a totally atificial economic sytem we are using for the host nation then to charge us our local rate if you get what I mean. In other words its worth bugger all there but its worth a lot here! ph34r.gif

link

Sorry Ernie, regarding selling records to the American's, you're wrong. I have a lot of collector friends in the States that regularly spend good money with me. I know for a fact a few of them would like to get their hands on a Chubby Checker for $500. I know most of the collectors in L.A., & there are a few of them that have paid 4 figures for soul records.

Social source share

Guest woolie mark

what else have you got to sell then bruv?

btw, on the point of people being neighbourly...i was discussing how insulting some people's posts are with a mate recently and i think he hit the nail on the head when he said to me: one of the problems with the internet is that people feel confident to say things they wouldn't dare say to your face

if you're only fishing - you'll soon get sniffed out, so keep on keepin on thumbsup.gif

Edited by woolie mark
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!