Edward Earling ?

Just found a Motown 8 track studio acetate featuring unissued tracks by The Supremes , Lefty Edwards, Rev. Chas Glover and two stockin' Northern Soul tracks by Edward Earling 1. This Time I'm Gonna Leave You" 2. Baby Don't Leave Me"

Anyone got any info on the guy, really strong vocal, two tracks are both perfect for todays scene, I'd guess recorded 1963 / 64 period.

I'm sure some buff will come up with his life story..

PS acetate ref: JD-106

tracks ref: 1. 3103-5 2. #3103-03

Social source share

I've got This Time I'm Gonna Leave on cd somewhere, might have the other. There's another "My Love For You" by him too.

and the story is ? Which CD? a DIY or a Motown release?

These two recordings are great, just don 't know anything about the guy. any info on the tracks or him would be most helpful.

Social source share

it's not an official motown cd John.

Weird you should have it, but I did "lend" this LP to a mutual friend a couple of years back. I do hope he didn't cut tracks on to CDs off it. Cause I've never heard of another acetate of it.

Social source share

It's been on my wants for a long long time.

was it not released as a single then?

Nashee,

I just don't know I've had this acetate since I bought about approx 80 of them off Soussan about 15/20 years or so ago, the batch included the Four Tops - Jazz Workshop LP, Originals - Baby Have Mercy On Me etc etc... so you can see how this item ended up at the bottom and forgotten.

I know nothing of Edward Earling or the tracks.. but they are great, IMHO just dug it out for a Supremes collector and played the LP through and was really impressed with those two tracks.. huge potential don't you think?

Social source share

Guest NASHEE

Nashee,

I just don't know I've had this acetate since I bought about approx 80 of them off Soussan about 15/20 years or so ago, the batch included the Four Tops - Jazz Workshop LP, Originals - Baby Have Mercy On Me etc etc... so you can see how this item ended up at the bottom and forgotten.

I know nothing of Edward Earling or the tracks.. but they are great, IMHO just dug it out for a Supremes collector and played the LP through and was really impressed with those two tracks..

huge potential don't you think?

I do think so John...but then again, I'm not a northern collector....Yes, I love some northern...but most of the stuff I collect is as far off the mark as you can get..So my oppinion dosent stand for much on a 'northern' forum I'm afraid.

I don't know anything about the guy at all...just that he has a wonderful voice...and this record is beautiful

Best

Linda...Lover of crooners and such like :-)

Social source share

I do think so John...but then again, I'm not a northern collector....Yes, I love some northern...but most of the stuff I collect is as far off the mark as you can get..So my oppinion dosent stand for much on a 'northern' forum I'm afraid.

I don't know anything about the guy at all...just that he has a wonderful voice...and this record is beautiful

Best

Linda...Lover of crooners and such like :-)

I think it would make an interesting "auction" item and coversation piece. It's a must for any DJ looking for something different and exclusive.. other tracks on LP are "pants" though. Supremes are doing an "Andrews Sisters" impression.

With a voice like that the guy must have done something?? Group member maybe? Who knows..?

Social source share

3 tracks on this tape by him.

The 2 mentioned plus one other

https://northern-soul-records.com/t1008.shtm

Thanks Tabs, anyone know the source..?

or did I put them on tape at the time. Maybe I did, I did tape almost everything back in the day.

"Wiganer" you got all my cassettes, have you got any Edward Earling on them?.... the other tune may have been in the batch and got sold..

I was hoping a Motown buff could shed some light on who the guy is, and did he have any vinyl releases? Cause he's a real hidden talent.

Sorry it's all a bit vague..

Social source share

You probably know all this John, from the DFTMC web site.

Baby Don't Leave (Earl McDaniels-William 'Mickey' Stevenson) publ. Jobete

Edward Earling; rec 12-Feb-63 Produced by William 'Mickey' Stevenson

[acetate] JD-106 LP [3103-03]

This Time I'm Gonna Leave You (Edward Earling-Edward McDaniels-Donald McWhorter) publ. Jobete

[acetate] JD-106 LP [3103-05]

My Love For You (Earl McDaniels-William 'Mickey' Stevenson) publ. Jobete

[acetate] JD-106 LP [3103-04]

Marvin Gaye; rec 10-Jan-66 [sOURCE 3X00608/09] Produced by William 'Mickey' Stevenson, Ivy Jo Hunter

25-Apr-95 Motown CD 31453-0492-2 The Master 1961-1984

05-Jun-03 Spectrum CD 067 016-2 Tamla Motown Connoisseurs Volume 2 [uK]

Edited by chalky
Social source share

• 11 years later...

Was leafing through some acetates here that had picked up over the last few years and not got round to playing properly and this 8 track one is one of them, yes agree Baby Don't Leave is totally stellar, will definitely play it out at the night doing here in a couple of weeks (along with another dozen+ similar unreleased that have never been heard out before).

Social source share

On 19/08/2007 at 03:04, Guest said:

Just found a Motown 8 track studio acetate featuring unissued tracks by The Supremes , Lefty Edwards, Rev. Chas Glover and two stockin' Northern Soul tracks by Edward Earling 1. This Time I'm Gonna Leave You" 2. Baby Don't Leave Me"

Anyone got any info on the guy, really strong vocal, two tracks are both perfect for todays scene, I'd guess recorded 1963 / 64 period.

I'm sure some buff will come up with his life story..

PS acetate ref: JD-106

tracks ref: 1. 3103-5 2. #3103-03

I had that very acetate in my hands, among hundreds of others during the 1970s, at Motown, while working on The "From The Vaults" and other unreleased Motown issue projects.  I had seen and heard 4 or 5 cuts by Edward Earling, which all had been recorded in 1963. Most were produced by Mickey Stevenson, but I seem to remember one having been written and produced by Smokey Robinson.  Earling sounded a bit like Eddie Holland.  We set aside the best ones, "This Time I'm Gonna Leave You" and "Baby Don't Leave Me" for possible release on a later volume (LP) of "From The Vaults".  Being partial to Motown's 1962-64 sound, I was sorely disappointed that none of Earling's cuts ever were released on "Cellarful of Motown" or "Lost Motown", or any other mixed artists releases.  I think I asked Keith Hughes if there was some question about Earling's artist contract with Motown.

• Up vote 1
Social source share

On 19/08/2007 at 06:32, Guest said:

Thanks Tabs, anyone know the source..?

or did I put them on tape at the time. Maybe I did, I did tape almost everything back in the day.

"Wiganer" you got all my cassettes, have you got any Edward Earling on them?.... the other tune may have been in the batch and got sold..

I was hoping a Motown buff could shed some light on who the guy is, and did he have any vinyl releases? Cause he's a real hidden talent.

Sorry it's all a bit vague..

No, Earling didn't have any vinyl releases that I know of (much to my chagrin). I'm guessing that his real name was Earl McDaniels, as either Edward or Earl McDaniels is listed as a songwriter on every song he sang for Motown, other than possibly the one written by Smokey.

• Up vote 1
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!