1987 Anyone Remember It?

Thanks to all who provided new interesting features for the forthcoming NSOUL mag(due at Prestatyn)

As a final article, I am looking for anyone who can not only remember what happened in the year of 1987.

My own recollection is fairly hazy as the Northern revival hadn't really kicked in.

Myber you know otherwise?

Coupled with this, what sounds were on the turntables in '87

I need approx 500 words. Email me at info@goldsoul.co.uk

Free mag subscription(for life!) to the supplier

Kev

Social source share

• Replies 79
  • Views 6.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Posted Images

Guest in town Mikey

My wife kicked me out for shagging a girl at work, thats what happend in 1987  smile.gif

link

Where would she have preferred you to have shagged this girl?

Social source share

Guest in town Mikey

I did ask her that and she hit me with a baseball bat with a nail stuck through it

link

Reminds me of the urban myth about the Aussie version of Mr and Mrs.

The girl was asked the most unusual place she had had sex.

She replies "up the bum".

Social source share

Guest Andy Kempster

Thanks to all who provided new interesting features for the forthcoming NSOUL mag(due at Prestatyn)

As a final article, I am looking for anyone who can not only remember what happened in the year of 1987.

My own recollection is fairly hazy as the Northern revival hadn't really kicked in.

Myber you know otherwise?

Coupled with this, what sounds were on the turntables in '87

I need approx 500 words. Email me at info@goldsoul.co.uk

Free mag subscription(for life!) to the supplier

Kev

link

i know the bradford allnighters were in full swing

Social source share

bexter there was a great club run in the eighties called trotters in mansfield of all places you should know it well bexter being from mansfield.it was run by rob marriot and at the time it was one of the best places in the country to hear rare soul.i think it closed down in 1990.

Social source share

bexter there was a great club run in the eighties called trotters in mansfield of all places you should know it well bexter being from mansfield.it was run by rob marriot and at the time it was one of the best places in the country to hear rare soul.i think it closed down in 1990.

link

Rob Marriott was years ahead of his time , and had records that are still massive today on the scene , really wish he was still DJing , a great guy . Best ,Eddie .

Social source share

Guest dundeedavie

1987 .......hmmm i was 16 ..not long been to my first allnighter in St K's in aberdeen and was ending my first year at uni( well a technical college in those days ) .....happy days

Davie

Social source share

Guest ciarraÃĮ’Ã"š­bhoy

My wife kicked me out for shagging a girl at work, thats what happend in 1987  :thumbsup:

link

You as well :lol:

Social source share

Yep that hurricane blow a massive tree down in my parents garden and it fell onto the garage, at the time I was staying there and my room was right next to the garage!! I thought the sky was falling in!

Social source share

Guest in town Mikey

Talking of winning lambretta's.

Has anyone seen Russel Mitchell on the 'Men and Motors' program about bike customising in the States.

I remember russ as a shy 16 year old coming to Dursley Scooter club with the rest of the Frampton-on-Severn lads. Nicely suited and booted, on a Vespa 50. Not too long later he built Excalibur(??), look at him now! :thumbsup:

Social source share

Has anyone seen Russel Mitchell on the 'Men and Motors' program about bike customising in the States.

I remember russ as a shy 16 year old coming to Dursley Scooter club with the rest of the Frampton-on-Severn lads. Nicely suited and booted, on a Vespa 50. Not too long later he built Excalibur(??), look at him now! :thumbsup:

link

I thought that i recognised him.I was in Florida last week and he,s really big over there now.Fair play to him he was always a decent lad. :lol:

Social source share

I hope that the tree was alright,did you replant it :lol:

link

No, but it had a preservation order on it, mine you get more sun in the garden now! The garage was demolished!!

Mine you my parents dont have much luck, few years later, some woman parked her car outside their house, forget to put the handbrake on! As my parents house is on a hill, car went down the hill and into the house, the Police couldnt believe it when my mother rang saying I get into the house because a car is blocking the front door - literally!!! :thumbsup::lol:

Social source share

No, but it had a preservation order on it, mine you get more sun in the garden now!  The garage was demolished!!

Mine you my parents dont have much luck, few years later, some woman parked her car outside their house, forget to put the handbrake on! As my parents house is on a hill, car went down the hill and into the house, the Police couldnt believe it when my mother rang saying I get into the house because a car is blocking the front door - literally!!!  :lol:   :lol:

link

I bet that the insurance companies love you. :thumbsup:

Regards SOULSTER22

Social source share

Guest in town Mikey

I thought that i recognised him.I was in Florida last week and he,s really big over there now.Fair play to him he was always a decent lad. :thumbsup:

link

Absolutely.

He's a fully trained Vet. I remember his parents giving him the money to customise a Lambretta when he passed his final exams.

Social source share

I moved to Scotland in Aug 1987 as I thoughtthe scene had died some 5 years previously- Obviously not and I blame Pete Smith for it 6years ago having a record site and i typed in Northern soul and look where it got me again!

link

I f*cking knew it would be my fault :thumbsup:

I was also responsible for that hurricane apparently.

Social source share

I bet that the insurance companies love you. :D

Regards SOULSTER22

link

Yep, me and my family known well, as I in 1 year had 3 car accidents, none of them no fault, motorbike cut me up on inside lane when I was indicating to go into my driveway! :angry: another reversed into me while I was trying to get out of a parking space which he wanted! :( then another where my car was parked in my driveway and my neighbours friend couldnt get into her driveway and decided to park in mine and went into the boot of the car, :ohmy: all in all, I only needed the front done and I would have had a new car - once repaired, bodywork looked great for the age of the car! I did think about a volvo after that!! :huh: I might add 2 of of 3 where men drivers!!! ph34r.gif

Social source share

I remember russ as a shy 16 year old coming to Dursley Scooter club with the rest of the Frampton-on-Severn lads. Nicely suited and booted, on a Vespa 50. Not too long later he built Excalibur(??), look at him now! :ohmy:

link

Do you mean EXILE?? ph34r.gif And was that The Dursley Nipple Gnashers SC??

post-1182-1108554900_thumb.jpg

Edited by Supercorsa
Social source share

Guest in town Mikey

Could be Exile. He has made so many its hard to remember.

The Dursley Scooter club, did change its name to Nipple Gnashers, but to us older guys , its always just the Dursley Scooter club. Tho on the first night it was decided we would call it, Dursley District Dynamo's. Kev Nelmes had a load of badges made by Paddy Smith (then a club member). And we decided it was a stupid name so went with DSC.

We had a 25 anniversary do 18 months ago and the lads, Duncan Ball and Andy Bendall made a herculean effort in getting everyone there, and photos on display from every year the club has been on the rallies.

I was 18 in one at Scarboro in 1981 and look 13. Classic.

Do you know any of the lads then??

Social source share

Yep, me and my family known well, as I in 1 year had 3 car accidents, none of them no fault, motorbike cut me up on inside lane when I was indicating to go into my driveway!  :angry: another reversed into me while I was trying to get out of a parking space which he wanted!  :( then another where my car was parked in my driveway and my neighbours friend couldnt get into her driveway and decided to park in mine and went into the boot of the car,  :ohmy: all in all, I only needed the front done and I would have had a new car - once repaired, bodywork looked great for the age of the car! I did think about a volvo after that!!  :huh: I might add 2 of of 3 where men drivers!!!  ph34r.gif

link

It sounds to me that either the neighbours were doing a dirty tricks campaign to get you to move or else you,re very unlucky.Ever one the lottery? :D
Social source share

Guest Andy Kempster

I won "Best Lambretta" at the Newquay Scooter Run, October 1987!  ph34r.gif

link

i'm surprised you didn't get blown away.....

i had a 24hour journey home with the AA.....

i blame michael fish!

Social source share

No, just used to see the club patches on the runs. Thought they were just West Country Bumpkins! ph34r.gif:ohmy:

Check out my old clubs name on my mudguard! :huh:My prize winning Lambretta :(

Mikey, I know this is quite a way off, but I'm planning on going to Saracen's in March. I got the week off work and my mate (brother-in-law) lives in Brockworth near Cheltenham/Gloucester. If you're there I'll buy you a pint. :D

Social source share

Guest in town Mikey

No, just used to see the club patches on the runs.  Thought they were just West Country Bumpkins!  ph34r.gif   :huh:

Check out my old clubs name on my mudguard!  :DMy prize winning Lambretta  :lol:

Mikey, I know this is quite a way off, but I'm planning on going to Saracen's in March.  I got the week off work and my mate (brother-in-law) lives in Brockworth near Cheltenham/Gloucester.  If you're there I'll buy you a pint.  :lol:

link

Was there an entry requirement.. :ohmy::(

I am hopeful of getting a pass. Its a really good night, and it would be good to finally meet you.

I will of course be wearing my Scooter Club issue, white smock and Wellies, complete with Bristol City number 1 sew on badge.

Social source share

It sounds to me that either the neighbours were doing a dirty tricks campaign to get you to move or else you,re very unlucky.Ever one the lottery? :ohmy:

link

No the lady in question was not quite all there!! suppose the house shouldnt have been there!!! ph34r.gif

I have won £10 here and there and my parents won few hundred once!! My Bro's mate's family won couple of mil and moved quick! I did win £80 once but I dropped my purse coming out of the shop and £20 blow away in the wind so really I only won £60!!

Social source share

Guest in town Mikey

1987 - Faldo won the Open at Muirfield in a garish jumper. 18 consecutive pars in the final round - er, thrilling stuff !  :ohmy:   :huh:   :D

Hammy

link

On that note. Just as rivetting.

The Retail Prices Index was rebased. ph34r.gif

Social source share

Didn't you borrow said jumper to wear to the first Lifeline....?  :ohmy:   ph34r.gif

link

I'd never fit into one of Faldo's efforts.

Also - note our choice of colour scheme: Nick's 'yellow lightning' Lyle and Scott effort is no match for my red Aquascutum 80s revival effort.

Hammy

PS - Faldo is the worst guest commentator I've ever heard. He once described the greens at Augusta as, " crusty biscuits"

Social source share

link

Remember Trotters very well, hardly missed one...remember Pete Lawson getting barred by the bar staff at one of the days ph34r.gif Was turned into a rave club.

1987 the Winding Wheel all-nighters in Chesterfield were in full swing run by Danny Everard and Dave Thorley. Blackburn and Mexboro' (both Tony's Empress Ballrooms) run by Guy Hennigan. 100 Club doing the business plus loads of one off all-nighters/soul nights. Got some flyers somewhere for fair few venues from '87.

Edited by chalky
Social source share

Too right, seem to remember uneven brick type affair in places, also driving round and round the one-way, just miss to the turn and end up on the way out of town several times a night  :ohmy:

link

It was either brick or cobbles, f****** deadly :huh: I know Mansfield well so one way was no trouble for me. There was a record shop on the street to the side of Swan we used to visit, guy called Titch I think used to run it thumbsup.gif forget who owned it :D

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!