Jobell Orchestra " Never Gonna Let You Go "

Jobell Orchestra " Never Let You Go "

Whilst decorating the dining room today at Chez Burton , I had on , to aid the brush strokes , a CD containing the stated tune ......

Whilst thinking it is still a VG side , I cannot recall who was the first DJ to play it on the scene .....

Who can enlighten me ?

Malc Burton

Social source share

Guest biggray1

defo mecca tune...probably Mr Levine Or Colin Curtis..Top draw 45..not played out much due too its Disco flavour...no matter what I still luv it. Gray

Social source share

playing this the other day and it does sound great.much better than i remembered.played as a new release,1975 at st.ives but probably the mecca first.

Social source share

Guest biggray1

My Memory reminds me of the top tunes played at the time of the Jobel Orch release..some top stuff to be had at that period ie Anderson Bros..Imperial wonders...Oscar Perry...Skull Snaps..to name a few..them was the days when The new york sound was very prolific.Also a lot of funky tracks was accepted by the Northern fraternity..Shame its not like it today. Gray

Social source share

My Memory reminds me of the top tunes played at the time of the Jobel Orch release..some top stuff to be had at that period ie Anderson Bros..Imperial wonders...Oscar Perry...Skull Snaps..to name a few..them was the days when The new york sound was very prolific.Also a lot of funky tracks was accepted by the Northern fraternity..Shame its not like it today. Gray

The JO was one of the many sides played that , were accepted without predudice or question , by those on the scene at the time .....

Malc Burton

Social source share

What's intriguing about this record is that it is generally known that there were two issues of this record , one with producer Louis Ramirez credited (on the first issue) and then without his credits on the second issue.

I have been told that the second issue is a legitimate one, issued by the company shortly after the first, due to demand in New York discos ... and that it was not a bootleg emanating from the northern scene in the UK.

Anyone ?

Social source share

It was big at Cleethorpes WG, along with Black Soul, Cathedrals, Out of my mind, etc. 1976.

Come out on UK issue eventually (Pye I think, I had a demo).

USA original issues were easy enough to find then, but I suppose now they are more than a fiver.

Used to love the 'orchestra de salsa' bit after Jobell.

Ed

Social source share

It was big at Cleethorpes WG, along with Black Soul, Cathedrals, Out of my mind, etc. 1976.

Come out on UK issue eventually (Pye I think, I had a demo).

USA original issues were easy enough to find then, but I suppose now they are more than a fiver.

Used to love the 'orchestra de salsa' bit after Jobell.

Ed

Following on from my original post about who played it first , I had an e-mail this morning , confirming it was first played at The Mecca ,after being given to IL & CC .....

As to exactly who was the one to air it first , it is more likely to have been IL than CC ....

Malc Burton

Social source share

Guest TONY ROUNCE

I seem to recall that one K. Roberts was somehow involved in the distribution of initial copies, but I wouldn't like to state that with 100% certainty.

Could have been introduced by Audrey Roberts for all I care, though - it's still a fab record!

Social source share

I seem to recall that one K. Roberts was somehow involved in the distribution of initial copies, but I wouldn't like to state that with 100% certainty.

Could have been introduced by Audrey Roberts for all I care, though - it's still a fab record!

Bless you Tony for that ..... :shades:

I now have visions of Audrey having boxes of " NGLYG " and asking " can I interest you in a 12" one ,

Gail " ......

Malc Burton

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Guest Ste Brazil

think it used to get played, sandwiched between "HIP-IT"-HOSANNA and "SUMMER IN THE PARKS"-ECConnection :unsure:

'Summer in the parks' is a TOP track, i love the funky Cleethorpes stuff, always play a mix of funkier stuff when i DJ - we need to hear more of it IMO !!!

Ste.

Social source share

'Summer in the parks' is a TOP track, i love the funky Cleethorpes stuff, always play a mix of funkier stuff when i DJ - we need to hear more of it IMO !!!

Ste.

here here!... love when you hear a dj playing everythin from mid tempo heart wrencher right through to 7ts funkier action...

Northern Soul wont die it'll just smell funky!!! :unsure:

Social source share

Guest Ste Brazil

here here!... love when you hear a dj playing everythin from mid tempo heart wrencher right through to 7ts funkier action...

Northern Soul wont die it'll just smell funky!!! laugh.gif

Yeah, like we did in Manchester a few months back - respect to the man! :unsure:

Ste.

Social source share

Defo Mecca first Malc, I remember it being played there as new release & I think it was Mr Levine's play but I'm sure both ended up playing it because I seem to remember Mr Levine had a short attention span for titles, once he'd broke it & made it big it was onto the next. Remember him playing Sidney Barnes - "I hurt on the other side" & asking him to play when we went 2 weeks later, his reply was "I'll play it when I'm ready", "when will that be" say's I? "At least 6 more weeks" say he!! Always an agreeable chap our Ian!!

Anyway it went on to become MASSIVE at Cleethorpes, still an excellent tune that should get more plays. Also talking of good new releases I was reading through some Blues & Souls from 1974 & in each copy there must be 2 or 3 new releases that are big money now & at the time they were 85p each, including Ultimates, Ace spectrum(I know it's not big money, but you get the idea). O happy days, if only we'd have known.

Take care,

Spot. :unsure:

Edited by spot
Social source share

Guest Ste Brazil

Jobell Orchestra " Never Let You Go "

Whilst decorating the dining room today at Chez Burton , I had on , to aid the brush strokes , a CD containing the stated tune ......

Whilst thinking it is still a VG side , I cannot recall who was the first DJ to play it on the scene .....

Who can enlighten me ?

Malc Burton

How much does it go for, is it a cheapy? I've seen for sale a few times but not for a while.

Social source share

1st issue £30

2nd issue £15

UK issue £5

UK Demo £10

Prices I've sold em for over the last 5 years.

Never seen a U.S. issue...

Green arnt they?or is them boots/reissues,might have one somewhere probberly not tho`.

Social source share

both U.S. issues are green - different shades though... 2nd issue is a brighter grass green, firts issue is more olive...

Better have a look for me "olive" green copy,result if its still about!!.

Social source share

• 9 years later...

Jobell Orchestra - great tune, bought one earlier this year. If I recall paid about £30 for a second issue. A first issue for sale on here for £75 recently. No doubt reflects increase in prices generally  from those quoted in previous posts which were back in 2007!

Edited by Stubbsy
additional comment
Social source share

5 hours ago, RICK SCOTT said:

Used to love playing the Jobel orchestra back in the Day at the Cleethorpes - Dayers And Niters and beyond BUT, does anyone remember this one from 1970, Yes 6 years earlier Love it! Enjoy, Rick

Thank you for posting Rick, nice one Sir. :)  :hatsoff2:

Social source share

On 23/08/2007 at 16:53, TONY ROUNCE said:

Kev will do Tony 😀 

Good memory....I brought it to the UK in 1975 on behalf of my friend Morty Craft who released it on JAN(his girlfriend) who we called 'Red' due to her flowing barnett! 

I hooked Morty together with Pye for a U.K. Release. As for the first copies......considering I brought 25 back initially, I can't remember who I gave it to. The Mecca ran with it immediately and Cleethorpes too. 

Glad there's interest some 42 years later.  Best to all. 

• Helpful 1
Social source share

13 minutes ago, RICK SCOTT said:

Your welcome, not a big ticket number but a fine example of some fine instrumentation and not easy to come by

That's what I like about this site Rick you learn so much about these great Sounds. :hatsoff2:

Social source share

8 hours ago, RICK SCOTT said:

Used to love playing the Jobel orchestra back in the Day at the Cleethorpes - Dayers And Niters and beyond BUT, does anyone remember this one from 1970, Yes 6 years earlier Love it! Enjoy, Rick

well, ill go to the foot of our stairs !, that's awesome, want one now !

Social source share

17 hours ago, codfromderby said:

well, ill go to the foot of our stairs !, that's awesome, want one now !

I hope you find one, so good, sounds great out on a big system and one that always gets the "Chin Scratchers" up to the decks with a look of disbelief on there faces but hey, that's what is so great about the wealth of great music out there which is still relatively unknown to most (but not all)

Social source share

• 4 weeks later...

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!