Delon Washington - Getting Mighty Close - Lovelite - Anybody Ever Heard Of This?

Sharlow45

Has anybody ever heard of this Chicago soul record?:

Delon Washington - Getting Mighty Close/Princess of My Dreams - Lovelite 101

Getting Mighty Close is kind of Northern/Modern kind of tune while Princess of My Dreams is sweet soul. Picked one up here in Chicago and can't find any information about it anywhere. I'm not sure it would appeal to a straight northern taste, but it might.

Edited by sharlow45
Social source share

Never heard of it.

Bet its good.

Lovelite's a crackin label.

Over to Boba. He'll know it if anyone does on here.

Sean

PS Is it for sale?

I know of its existence but I've never seen it before or heard it. It was on a want list I posted here before, I wanted to collect it for the label. Hopefully it turns out to be good too, though. There are a few very hard records on Clarence Johnson labels (lock, lovelite, quality sound, red balloon, etc.).

Edited by boba
Social source share

I know of its existence but I've never seen it before or heard it. It was on a want list I posted here before, I wanted to collect it for the label. Hopefully it turns out to be good too, though. There are a few very hard records on Clarence Johnson labels (lock, lovelite, quality sound, red balloon, etc.).

I'll try to get some .mp3 clips of it made and up in the next couple of days so you guys can hear.

Scott

Social source share

Guest Rob_Sevier

So did anybody listen to the clips?? Any comments? What do you guys think of the Delon Washington record??

I'm into it. Nice group on both sides. Doesn't seem to have much club appeal, however.

Social source share

So did anybody listen to the clips?? Any comments? What do you guys think of the Delon Washington record??

website looks great, some good tunes on it. I't obvious you've spent a lot of time on it. Delon Washington record is fab, right up my street. :rolleyes:

gary

Social source share

Guest TONY ROUNCE

Yeah, I was questioning the club appeal. Although, there are some northern favorites that I feel the same way about. I have a hard time judging.

Both sides are almost but not quite 'there' for me - but Delon has a top notch voice, sounds a bit like Junior McCants and that's no bad thing, is it?

Social source share

• 5 years later...

funny little record that..it has that pressing failure of two bubbles in the strange intro which causes two jumps..well on most copies. The one I have did play thru on my old player but since I have that new MK2 it doesnt anymore. Thankfully you cant play that intro out anyway LOL !

Social source share

I'm pretty sure that it has no pressing problem and that the copy that Paul Sadot got had a cigarette burn in the intro.

Which I believe was the copy that Midwest 45s devotee Scott Harlow ,aka Sharlow45 at the head of this post ,found and introduced to us on here a good few yr back .

Think it went on eBay and Paul won it .

Edited by NEV
Social source share

i held that copy in my hand before it was auctioned. the record was known by older sweet soul collectors for a long time.

the buyer can confirm when he gets his copy that there's no pressing problem.

Edited by boba
Social source share

Which I believe was the copy that Midwest 45s devotee Scott Harlow ,aka Sharlow45 at the head of this post ,found and introduced to us on here a good few yr back .

As always you seem to have done some nice and clever detective work my friend ;) you won this recent copy ?

Edited by Marc Forrest
Social source share

i won it nev and sold to paul great 45

Social source share

Velvet on Lovelite was later released on Perception. Velvet was almost the same group as the Flairs.

Are we talking "Bet You If You Ask Around" here?

I never really got this. Both the Quadrophonics and Velvet recordings sound more New York or Philly to me. Were these Chicago recordings?

Ian D :D

Social source share

Are we talking "Bet You If You Ask Around" here?

I never really got this. Both the Quadrophonics and Velvet recordings sound more New York or Philly to me. Were these Chicago recordings?

Ian D :D

Actually it gets more confusing there, as "bet you if you ask around" by Velvet is a different group than the Velvet on the first perception single. The group broke up and the producer formed a new one to record. Both were from Chicago. The Quadraphonics were from Milwaukee. All the recordings were Chicago recordings. They definitely do have a 70s Chicago sound, but I can see the nod to philly.

Social source share

• 2 weeks later...

Wow!  Getting Mighty Close is fantastic!  Sorry I turned off the radio after 1966.  They certainly didn't play much decent Chicago stuff in L.A. (where I was stuck) after 1969, nothing but lousy commercial Chi-Lites.

the sweet side is better

Social source share

the sweet side is better

As sweet soul goes ,yes it is a great piece .but the GMC side does it for me Bob .

Here's the flip side for those who haven't managed to rip the file earlier

Edited by NEV
Social source share

don't get me wrong, getting mighty close is great

I hope my post proves that there isn't a pressing fault on it ,but maybe copies have some damage caused by wear ?

P.s

Don't think my attempt to upload the flip via YouTube worked ?

I can't see it via mobile ?

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!