Billy Mcgregor

Anyone have info on this guy? Still around? Rate the Flash 45 as one of the best cheap double siders around. First release on label? Personally never seen anything else on Flash. The Mellotone 45 - Brilliant Chicago deep/ballad. Not heard the Palos 45 but seems one of those artists with a small yet quality output.

Mr Shy b/w Fall On My Knees - Flash 6601

It's My Turn Now b/w The Great Creation Mellotone 1000

I've Got It b/w We've Been In Love Much Too Long Palos 1204

Cheers, Rich

Social source share

• Replies 20
  • Views 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Posted Images

Anyone have info on this guy? Still around? Rate the Flash 45 as one of the best cheap double siders around. First release on label? Personally never seen anything else on Flash. The Mellotone 45 - Brilliant Chicago deep/ballad. Not heard the Palos 45 but seems one of those artists with a small yet quality output.

Cheers, Rich

Funkyfeet have the Mellotone 1000 for sale @ £60 also The Flash 6601 @ £10. Great singer, recommended 45's.

Edited by funkyfeet
Social source share

Cheers, Rich

Hi

Still alive, lives on the southside of Chicago. Really nice man, but living in reduced circumstances. Has none of his own records anymore, but recently Dave & I had a great day with him talking about 'Back in the day'

Edited by malayka
Social source share

Cheers, Rich

Hi Rich. He has a 2nd flash 45 (which isn't good) and a 45 on USA with Doris Young. He also wrote a ton of records for many people. He lives in the suburbs just south of Chicago. He's a very nice guy.

He was originally in the group the Antennas on Clay, who are the same group as Shirley and the Squires on Constellation and who back Perk Lee "the docks" on Boss. They somehow are NOT the squires on boss, though (think the label did something funny). He went solo after writing "mr shy" which was originally supposed to be a song for Ruby Andrews -- Don Clay convinced Billy to record it himself.

I'm deseperately trying to get a copy of Shirley and the Squires on Constellation, obviously to collect but also to record for three of the group members. If anyone has a copy to sell or even just record for me please get in touch.

thanks,

Bob

Social source share

The other one to check out and try to find, because it's a crackin' tune is:

Twinight 102

GEORGE McGREGOR & the BROZETTES - TEMPTATION IS HARD TO FIGHT c/w EVERYTIME I WAKE UP

Billy McGregor is credited on the label. Must be a relative?? Or is George, Billy?

Sold it recently so the soundclip at the site is sleeping.

Interesting to note he was in the Antennas on Clay thanks for that, I really like this 45 as well. I had it down as a New York press after the producer.. why I don't know, was it a Chicago recrding and who was "Clay"?

Link below if anyone wants to hear it.

https://raresoulman.co.uk/searchartist.php?...NNAS&Format=

Edited by john manship
Social source share

The other one to check out and try to find, because it's a crackin' tune is:

Twinight 102

GEORGE McGREGOR & the BROZETTES - TEMPTATION IS HARD TO FIGHT c/w EVERYTIME I WAKE UP

Billy McGregor is credited on the label. Must be a relative?? Or is George, Billy?

Sold it recently so the soundclip at the site is sleeping.

Interesting to note he was in the Antennas on Clay thanks for that, I really like this 45 as well. I had it down as a New York press after the producer.. why I don't know, was it a Chicago recrding and who was "Clay"?

Link below if anyone wants to hear it.

https://raresoulman.co.uk/searchartist.php?...NNAS&Format=

Clay was Don Clay. There were a bunch of Chicago - NY connections at the time, for example, the Opals and the Dontells had records out on Beltone.

There are TWO George McGregors. The George McGregor on Twinight was Billy's brother. He was also a member of the Antennas / Squires. He is deceased. The DETROIT George McGregor who wrote and produced a lot of records (for example, the Gaslight 45s) is Billy's cousin. He is still alive and was recently posting to the soulfuldetroit forums.

Edited by boba
Social source share

Wow thanks everyone - Good to know he's still kickin around. Didn't know he wrote too much check those credits a bit more carefully.

Rich

Hello

Billy McGregor is a client of ours, we obtained publishing rights to "Mr Shy" etc a few years ago. As has been said, he's a very nice guy and still lives in the Calumet suberb of Chicago.

George McGregor (deceased) was his brother and is not to be confused with the other George McGregor from Detroit - the husband of Barbara Mercer and writer of "Hit And Run" etc. However, they are first cousins.

Talented family.

Best regards,

Paul Mooney

www.millbrand.com

Social source share

Fascinating stuff from Bob, Paul John and Malayka. The sheer amount of knowledge and the 'soul' family connections never ceases to amaze me.

Do you know of other material of Billys then Paul? Unissued?

Best regards

Rich

Hello Rich,

Yes we have some things, some of which are good but not quite finished masters. I'll check them out again when I have some time.

Best regards,

Paul Mooney

Social source share

Cheers, Rich

Hi Rich

Great singer - I did a couple of posts on him for my blog last year:

https://indangerousrhythm.blogspot.com/2006...y-mcgregor.html

https://indangerousrhythm.blogspot.com/2006...gor-part-2.html

The second one contains a photo of Billy courtesy of my mate John Marriot. If you need a MP3 of the Palos 45 - give us a shout.

Cheers

Colin

Social source share

Hi Rich

Great singer - I did a couple of posts on him for my blog last year:

https://indangerousrhythm.blogspot.com/2006...y-mcgregor.html

https://indangerousrhythm.blogspot.com/2006...gor-part-2.html

The second one contains a photo of Billy courtesy of my mate John Marriot. If you need a MP3 of the Palos 45 - give us a shout.

Cheers

Colin

I have a couple of Antennas photos I got from one of the members (so you can see Billy back and the day with his brother george). I will try to post a scan when I get home from work. Thanks.

Social source share

Cheers, Rich

Great artist ,Rich , " We've been in love " on Palos is a good midtempo crossover side .Best ,Eddie

Social source share

Brilliant thread , this is what I like to read. Can you imagine what Billy Mcgregor would feel like if he ever read all this info on himself , just to know after all these years there are people who still appreciate him and care . thank god for this wonderful site :rolleyes:

Social source share

Brilliant thread , this is what I like to read. Can you imagine what Billy Mcgregor would feel like if he ever read all this info on himself , just to know after all these years there are people who still appreciate him and care . thank god for this wonderful site :thumbsup:

Here is one of the antennas photos I have (I ended up getting a glossier copy later but can't find it right now to scan):

post-5120-1188055690_thumb.jpg

Billy is the guy all the way on the left. George is the guy to the right of Shirley. The group was an older group, they were performing in different acts in the 50s. Jimmy Bailey (one of the other members) told me that he wrote fugi-yama mama based on having a girlfriend when he was stationed in Japan during the Korean war (which is a funny reason to write a vaguely offensive novelty song).

Social source share

... Jimmy Bailey (one of the other members) told me that he wrote fugi-yama mama based on having a girlfriend when he was stationed in Japan during the Korean war (which is a funny reason to write a vaguely offensive novelty song).

FIrst off, agreed - this has been a great thread...

I haven't ever heard that Antennas (checkin' out the "Be Yourself" side on manship's clip right now), but isn't it the same as the Wanda Jackson rockabilly hit "Fujiyama Mama" from 1957? That one's credited to her as writer.

juddy

pixxburgh

Social source share

FIrst off, agreed - this has been a great thread...

I haven't ever heard that Antennas (checkin' out the "Be Yourself" side on manship's clip right now), but isn't it the same as the Wanda Jackson rockabilly hit "Fujiyama Mama" from 1957? That one's credited to her as writer.

juddy

pixxburgh

no, it's not the same song, but it's the same type of novelty song. doowop collectors know that song, but soul collectors know the much better 'be yourself' side.

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!