Ebay, Whats Your Pet Hate?

Bigsoulman

EBAY HAS WITHOUT DOUBT BEEN ONE OF THE BEST WAY'S TO FIND ELUSIVE RECORDS BUT IS NOW STARTING TO IRRITATE ME, WHY DO THE AMERICANS KEEP CALLING IT POPCORN, PLEASE TELL US WHAT F***** POPCORN HAS TO DO WITH NORTHERN SOUL, WHAT GETS ON YOUR TITS? thumbsup.gif

Edited by BIGSOULMAN
Social source share

• Replies 46
  • Views 4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

It's not even that good for finding tunes. It's bumped up prices so that things like Ruby Andrews go for £360 and blaggers sell boots that collectors would pull their ears off for if they tried it on in person.

The occasional thing can be had, I've bought some stuff, but anything remotely well-known goes for daft money. Having said that I sold about 30 boots-and said they were boots-that I'd have taken £100 for and trousered £400.

It was just like the Scots coach arriving at Wigan.

Social source share

EBAY HAS WITHOUT DOUBT BEEN ONE OF THE BEST WAY'S TO FIND ELUSIVE RECORDS BUT IS NOW STARTING TO IRRITATE ME, WHY DO THESE STUPID FUCKING YANKS KEEP CALLING IT POPCORN, PLEASE TELL US WHAT FUCKING POPCORN HAS TO DO WITH NORTHERN SOUL, WHAT GETS ON YOUR TITS? thumbsup.gif

link

I'm sure it's just our US friends trying to maximise the target sales group, as many NS sounds fall into the category of the Belgian popcorn scene (I don't know the details), also many NS sounds are classed as beach music in the eastern seaboard states of the USA, If you look back there was a great description of this on here.

But you're right "POPCORN". Corn, pop, corny pop, corny pop music, I don't get that. :huh: Must mean Wigan in the late 70's :D:ohmy: .

Cheers,

Derek.

Social source share

EBAY HAS WITHOUT DOUBT BEEN ONE OF THE BEST WAY'S TO FIND ELUSIVE RECORDS BUT IS NOW STARTING TO IRRITATE ME, WHY DO THESE STUPID FUCKING YANKS KEEP CALLING IT POPCORN, PLEASE TELL US WHAT FUCKING POPCORN HAS TO DO WITH NORTHERN SOUL, WHAT GETS ON YOUR TITS? thumbsup.gif

link

People who make massive, ignorant, intolerant generalisations for a start. Substitute 'yanks' for one of your slang terms for black people and re-read the sentence. Then have a think

Oh, and constant uppercase :ohmy:

Godz

Social source share

Guest northwest vinyl

AND WHAT DOES NORTHERN MEAN IN THE STATES ?

link

It means records that people who are into Northern want to dance to and own. Same thing it means in England.

Social source share

Guest in town Mikey

My pet hate is having to go to different parts of the ebay site to pick up my cheapies. Especially if a record has been misfiled. It often means i am the only bidder on it. Thats no fun is it? :(

Social source share

Popcorn doesn't really have a lot to do with NS though some of the records cross over into the two scenes, most famously Sam Fletcher - I'd Think It Over. It originated in Belgium and seems to cover all sorts of early 60's pop, from the era when all the male singers were called Bobby. Even I use the expression now because a lot of the records are starting to sound that way, as we go further and further back for our r&b we also find popcorn style records with the right beat - like Larry Trider for example.

As for my pet hate, it must be clicking on a record and seeing that the seller is AJ Cabanellas because he must have some kind of machine which makes his records for sale look like they came out of a skip.

Oh, and Americans who think that any black music is Northern Soul, or anything by Ketty Lester, Patti Page, Teddy Randazzo and so in is NS because they've seen one record by that artist described as such.

People who charge ridiculous amounts for postage.

People who try to charge you £2.50 postage because they have to p[ay their mate £1 for taking it to the post office.

People who charge you airmail then send your items by surface mail taking up to 6 weeks to arrive.

Prisoners on death row who send you their old f*cking slippers and dressing gowns. People in the UK charging £1.50 or £2 for postage then it arrives, not recorded delivery, with 60p postage on it.

People who don't accept paypal.

People who do accept paypal then charge you a fee more than the true percentage of the charges.

People in the rest of Europe paying twice as much for records than they are actually worth.

Styrene pressings.

Records that hiss.

People who say they are going to leave you negative feedback then threaten to tell Ebay when you tell them you know where they live and someone will be round to sort them out.

:(

oh..and people who call Ebay "the Bay" must die

Edited by Pete-S
Social source share

Guest dundeedavie

Gotta say .... Anoraks and chin strokers get on my tits .... As for ebay love it for unknown little cheapies ... Big tunes forget it and i wouldn't buy ruby andrews if it was only a tenner anyway

davie

Social source share

Popcorn is a term a bit like northern hard to tie down. The 'Popcorn' scene in Belgium has been around for years and it is not easy to know what they will play/ not play. The confussion with northern is that items such as Betty O'Brien / Kurt Harris / Ketty Lester are well established 'Popcorn' tracks that have also found there way onto the northern scene. If we find it hard to define northern, what chance have our friends from over the pond. I have seen allsorts classified as northern including the Goodies - 'Black Pudding Bertha' due to the line 'Black Pudding Bertha - she's queen of northern soul'.

Personaly I think the heyday of ebay has gone. In the mid nineties before the UK version was launched it was great lots of cheap stuff on the US site. Now only bargains are stuff that gets 'lost' in the wrong category.

Still did get a George Freeman for $60 recently :(

Social source share

Where do you start?

I've had absolutely no problems buying stuff in over 5 years using Ebay. It were all fields back in them days. Even in the good old days of sending envelopes full of cash around the world in the vain hope that you might actually get something in return, it always worked as advertised.

Recently, however I've started to try and reduce the huge quantity of country / rock 'n' roll / pop etc. that we all have lurking in our attics bought under the mistaken belief that they were rare soul monsters in the offing. Ebay seemed like they ideal way of doing this.

My experiences of selling stuff have not only put me off Ebay, but have left me in grave doubts about the future of the human race. The amount of time wasters, piss takers and general morons you encounter when you list stuff for sale just beggars belief.

Idiots that don't take the time to read auctions properly and have no concept of record grading. I recently sold a couple of records to a guy that sent them back complaining they weren't mint when they were clearly graded VG+ in the auction! Attempts to get him to reveal which grading system they use on HIS planet fell on deaf ears - maybe his careworker had limited his access to the internet.

The sad thing is the feedback system means that there's little point in doing anything other than giving him a refund and trying to sell them to a sensible person. I'd be loathe to lose a perfect feedback rating because of one twat who doesn't understand the concept of an auction.

Inane questions about the stuff you're selling - someone giving me a hard time about why I don't sell to the US when it states "Ships to: Worldwide" in the description.

Anyone who makes a living out of spending the working day having to deal with the flotsam and jetsam that use Ebay as an entertainment channel rather than a place to buy and sell stuff has my respect!

On the records described as Northern Soul on Ebay front - best one I ever saw was:

Gerry Rafferty - Baker Street

I must have missed the venue where that was big then!

Social source share

I think ebay is what you make of it.

Anyone who says there are no bargains maybe just haven't had one. :(

Nobody makes you bid stupid money. Only people with lots of money bid lots of money. Either that or it's a long time want that you will pay what is considered over the odds for it.

The only thing that irritates me is items ending early. And I'm only irritated because it's not me that got it :(:P

I know some record dealers would prefer us buying public not to use ebay, as we can pick things up cheaper than their lists. Yes you do take a chance on condition etc. But a little homework will show you which dealers to trust and the ones not to touch.

We all have the choice whether we bid or don't bid. Stop squealing if it's priced too high - just don't bid! :(

Yes the Ovenchip price guide now means that every rarity now has a starting bid of $799.99. It does take the fun out of bidding. But there are still sellers who don't know what they've got, as Mikey pointed out, it's just up to us to find them.

Mate of mine has recently had Joanie Sommers $100, Curley Moore $100 Guitar Ray $200.

STOP MOANING AND START DIGGING - DO YOU WANT IT ON A PLATE?? :(:P:(

Jamie :no:

Social source share

I think people worry too much about feedback - I've got 1886 in total, I think maybe 6 of those are negative, 3 from the same person(!) as a retaliation when I reported him to trading standards, anyway what percentage of 1800 is 6? Bugger all really. On one ocassion the neg was deserved because I didn't pay the person for some reason, and I left them feedback apologising. But when it's not your fault and you've actually tried to sort it, you have to fight fire with fire and tell them whatever feedback they leave you, you'll do the same.

As for the thieves and con men, the worst of the lot are the sellers of designer clothing. If you type in Prada or Stone Island or Wranglers, you'll find 95% are "BNWT" (brand new with tags), for s start half of these tags are the wrong colours, the clothes are in designs that the real companies don't make, yet they still ask ££££££ for them. I always read the feedbacks on clothes sellers.

Otherwise I wouldn't look as smart as this would I?

cissechav.jpg

Social source share

EBAY HAS WITHOUT DOUBT BEEN ONE OF THE BEST WAY'S TO FIND ELUSIVE RECORDS BUT IS NOW STARTING TO IRRITATE ME, WHY DO THESE STUPID FUCKING YANKS KEEP CALLING IT POPCORN, PLEASE TELL US WHAT FUCKING POPCORN HAS TO DO WITH NORTHERN SOUL, WHAT GETS ON YOUR TITS? :(

link

I totally agree....i'm a popcorn collector and nothing is more annoying than having to trawl through loads of bloody northern soul before i get to something I actually want.

Unfortunately they have about as little idea about what is 'Popcorn' as they do about what is northern soul.

I'm afraid it's just about money... the more they can add to their description...the more folk look at their listings. and the more chance they have of selling their items (cant really blame them there)

The easiest way to describe Popcorn !!!...If you think back to when guys were trawling the states many years ago looking for stompers and real uptempo tunes,

Popcorn was the slower stuff that they turned their noses up at...too slow...too poppy etc etc etc...Some of the Teen and Cha Cha style is still totally unacceptable...even to myself.

but the more mid tempo styles, are very sought after.

The problem i find is because the sellers now lump the two styles together...they automatically think that Popcorn collectors will pay the same high prices as the northern soul collectors...what used to be reasonably priced..has become unaffordable.

Social source share

Guest in town Mikey

Pete S.

Quality rant.

but not one mention of people who call the bay 'The Bay'

:P:(:(

Especially liked this bit:

"As for my pet hate, it must be clicking on a record and seeing that the seller is AJ Cabanellas because he must have some kind of machine which makes his records for sale look like they came out of a skip."

Social source share

Pete S.

Quality rant.

but not one mention of people who call the bay  'The Bay'

:P   :(   :(

Especially liked this bit:

"As for my pet hate, it must be clicking on a record and seeing that the seller is AJ Cabanellas because he must have some kind of machine which makes his records for sale look like they came out of a skip."

link

You're right - I'd better edit it !

Social source share

Can you not shout please?  Headache.

I got a Guitar Ray for a quid out of a shop 4 miles from my house last year.

True story.

Shit record.

link

Sorry for shouting, old boy :(

Lovely story about the Guitar Ray, though not sure what it has to do with 'The Bay' :(

An 'thank you' for your unusual, in-depth, informative and measured appraisal of a record recorded after 00:00.00 on the 31st December 1969. :P

Social source share

Sorry for shouting, old boy  :no:

Lovely story about the Guitar Ray, though not sure what it has to do with 'The Bay'  :P

An 'thank you' for your unusual, in-depth, informative and measured appraisal of a record recorded after 00:00.00 on the 31st December 1969.  :(

link

Jamie,

Surely your last post should have read:

23:59:59 on the 31st December 1969 or 00:00:00 on the 1st January 1970 :P

Pete, if you get another copy for a quid, I'll double your money and buy it off you for £2, but I won't pay you £2.50 for postage! :(

Social source share

EBAY HAS WITHOUT DOUBT BEEN ONE OF THE BEST WAY'S TO FIND ELUSIVE RECORDS BUT IS NOW STARTING TO IRRITATE ME, WHY DO THESE STUPID FUCKING YANKS KEEP CALLING IT POPCORN, PLEASE TELL US WHAT FUCKING POPCORN HAS TO DO WITH NORTHERN SOUL, WHAT GETS ON YOUR TITS? :(

link

turn your caps , off and read the f****** site guidelines

look up and right

Social source share

Jamie,

Surely your last post should have read: 

23:59:59 on the 31st December 1969 or 00:00:00 on the 1st January 1970  :(

Pete, if you get another copy for a quid, I'll double your money and buy it off you for £2, but I won't pay you £2.50 for postage!  :P

link

I'm not sure mate :no: Is it still techinally 1969? I thought that when it becomes 00:00.01 then that's 1970?? :(

I think that 'Midnight' is still 1969 and 1 sec. past is then 1970.

I'm not sure though. My head hurts. Pete, have you got any tablets I can borrow?? :P

Social source share

Sorry for shouting, old boy  :(

Lovely story about the Guitar Ray, though not sure what it has to do with 'The Bay'  :P

Nothing, somebody mentioned it like

An 'thank you' for your unusual, in-depth, informative and measured appraisal of a record recorded after 00:00.00 on the 31st December 1969.  :no:

Bollocks  :(

link

Social source share

I'm not sure mate  :( Is it still techinally 1969? I thought that when it becomes 00:00.01 then that's 1970??  :P

I think that 'Midnight' is still 1969 and 1 sec. past is then 1970.

I'm not sure though. My head hurts. Pete, have you got any tablets I can borrow?? :(

link

Yes but nothing very interesting:

prozac for depression

co-codemol for pain

something for my hiatus hernia in my throat actually 2 different pills

something for gout, which I haven't had for about a year now but when it comes it makes me want to saw my foot off

I've probably got some loperamide as well, never know when you might need it

oh and about 3 valiums

Social source share

something for gout, which I haven't had for about a year now but when it comes it makes me want to saw my foot off

You lucky b*ast*rd Pete, I had it in early October and a double dose one joint after the other in early November. I was flying out to Stockholm in October and got special assistance to get on the plane. The Mrs had to carry my record box :(

Paul

SITC

Social source share

You lucky b*ast*rd Pete, I had it in early October and a double dose one joint after the other in early November. I was flying out to Stockholm in October and got special assistance to get on the plane. The Mrs had to carry my record box :(

Paul

SITC

link

Yeah it's one of those things that people almost laugh at when you tell them and say something corny like 'thats from drinking too much port'...like I make a habit of drinking port and lemon...but it hurts so bad, except the pills I got from the doctor get rid of the pain totally, they are called Voltarol, if you ever get stuck I'll send you a strip of them, they are a Godsend..

Social source share

too much protein is the cause of gout innit?

i had a mate who went to spain a few years ago and wouldnt eat anything apart from steak for two weeks. apparently he got gout from this. could be bulls***.

Social source share

Guest in town Mikey

I was told its a side efect of too much Cider.

Must be the part of the world I was brought up in.

Like a typical Northern Soul boy. All the div's at school were drinking West Country Champagne, as we call it. So I had to be different and drunk Light split, or if I was coming over a bit Del Boy, I'd go for Lager and Black. :(

Social source share

YES!! THIS IS IT!!! HERE IT IS PEOPLE!!!

GO FOR IT!! BID HARD!!!

THIS IS THE BIG ONE...THIS IS SUPER-RARE NORTHERN SOUL!!!! DOG-RARE!!!!!

YEAH!!!!

Er, I hate sellers overplaying their hands.

See the current Tempos listing, for instance. The boy's gone absolutely mad.

Also, what does 'Bid with confidence?' mean? Like, ah, thank God you said that because before you said it I was going to bid, but without confidence.

Also, re 1969/1970 - there's no such time as 00:00:00 is there? I mean, one second it's 12:00pm on the 31st and the next it's 12:01am on the 1st? In the 24hr clock it's 23:59:59, then 24:00:00, then 00:00:01.

Sorry, I really just have got to get out more.

Social source share

Guest FYLDECOAST

Off Topic

Pete,

Is that George Berry?

I went to the same school as him only remeber him as he alledgedly was caught having "extra lessons" from Ma Kelly our English teacher :P

link

George is the same age as me , Played against him a few times 71/74 .He played centre forward in those days

Ma Kelly sounds interesting , you can tell me more at the weekend. :(

Steve McWilliams

Social source share

Also, re 1969/1970 - there's no such time as 00:00:00 is there? I mean, one second it's 12:00pm on the 31st and the next it's 12:01am on the 1st? In the 24hr clock it's 23:59:59, then 24:00:00, then 00:00:01.

Sorry, I really just have got to get out more.

link

As an ex member of the Royal Navy(me hearties!), we were told that there was no such thing as 00.00 everything happenning at midnight actually happens at 23.59. The next time was 0001 the next day. :(

Social source share

Guest northwest vinyl

Maybe a different perspective from the other side of the pond. We've been selling on eBay and in some ways it is great, but it is kind of amazing how many folks from the UK will win an auction and never had any intention of paying, or will write after winning to say he's gotta wait three weeks for his paycheck to come before he can send payment, etc. Once a very well-known UK soul dealer won a record and I guess felt he paid too much because he pretended to be his wife and had this ridiculous story about how he was on holiday in Spain and there was no way to reach him etc etc. He didn't think any "Yank" would know who he was but after we shot back an email saying that that was pretty low for another dealer to pull that kind of crap, he suddenly reappeared from Spain and the payment came mighty fast. That's the thing, some of you Brits assume that everyone in the US is a moron who just found out that "Northern" is a thing that will make a record sell for more money. Granted there is a lot of that but we're not all like that. And I can't tell you how many Brits have written about a fairly expensive record that we've listed that they're willing to take off our hands for $10 so you can go ahead and end that auction now!

Sorry to go on like that, needed to get it off the chest!

Social source share

Maybe a different perspective from the other side of the pond.  We've been selling on eBay and in some ways it is great, but it is kind of amazing how many folks from the UK will win an auction and never had any intention of paying, or will write after winning to say he's gotta wait three weeks for his paycheck to come before he can send payment, etc.  Once a very well-known UK soul dealer won a record and I guess felt he paid too much because he pretended to be his wife and had this ridiculous story about how he was on holiday in Spain and there was no way to reach him etc etc.  He didn't think any "Yank" would know who he was but after we shot back an email saying that that was pretty low for another dealer to pull that kind of crap, he suddenly reappeared from Spain and the payment came mighty fast.  That's the thing, some of you Brits assume that everyone in the US is a moron who just found out that "Northern" is a thing that will make a record sell for more money.  Granted there is a lot of that but we're not all like that.  And I can't tell you how many Brits have written about a fairly expensive record that we've listed that they're willing to take off our hands for $10 so you can go ahead and end that auction now!

Sorry to go on like that, needed to get it off the chest!

link

I guess you've found your feet on the site now northwest :( I guess we deserved that for all the Chubby Checker stuff the other day. :P

Anyway I miss the days when you lot over there didn't know anything about northern and I could buy 'beach music' listings for a few dollars. I for one don't think you lot are all "morons" thats why ebay for me at least has past it's best.

:P:(:no:

Social source share

Guest northwest vinyl

I guess you've found your feet on the site now northwest :( I guess we deserved that for all the Chubby Checker stuff the other day. :P

Anyway I miss the days when you lot over there didn't know anything about northern and I could buy 'beach music' listings for a few dollars.  I for one don't think you lot are all "morons" thats why ebay for me at least has past it's best.

:P   :(   :no:

link

Well the majority of our dealings with Brits have been very positive so that post was a bit harsh and apologies for that!!

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!