Tommy Neal -going To A Happening

Guest eedeecee

5 minutes ago, Dave Pinch said:

think that may have been uk decca just being lazy..its not a bootleg in the true sense of the word..well no more than say the london darrell banks.. vault records in L.A  tried to go national with it hense the atco distibuted copies..it could have even surface on uk red atlantic over here..that may seem far fetched but it could have realistically happened

Surley if popcorn wylie was not paid by vault and gave no permision for this to be sold to u.k. decca and he had all bmi rights to this song then yes the vocalion copies are bootlegs. 

Social source share

11 minutes ago, Wheelsville1 said:

Surley if popcorn wylie was not paid by vault and gave no permision for this to be sold to u.k. decca and he had all bmi rights to this song then yes the vocalion copies are bootlegs. 

Terminology for bootleg,to produce,reproduce or distribute without authorization. 

Social source share

This article appeared in Record World and Cashbox around the same time. I think that they legitimately leased the single but there was probably something buried in the contract that they thought gave them the right to re-release "Going To A Happening" to whoever they wanted to . 

Pop.jpg

• Up vote 2
Social source share

6 hours ago, The Yank said:

This article appeared in Record World and Cashbox around the same time. I think that they legitimately leased the single but there was probably something buried in the contract that they thought gave them the right to re-release "Going To A Happening" to whoever they wanted to . 

Pop.jpg

I think they were a bunch of crooks at vault,firstly for not paying popcorn wylie and secondly for claiming it was a vault recording which as we all know it is ala king.

Social source share

8 hours ago, Wheelsville1 said:

i`ll wager the majority of usa artists didnt know of their material being issued nationally or overseas and what about backing tracks being borrowed.. don gardner had no memory of the cheating kind... does that make it a bootleg..  as i said earlier about the london darrell bank that they never had the rights to..thats 2 expensive bootlegs at the top of the tree if we look at it that way.. but i`m sure somewhere down the line paperwork will exist as i dont think uk decca was in the habit of knowingly putting 45s out without permission.. in all honesty i take what the `stars` say with a massive pinch of salt as they are only human and one human frailty is to let theirs mouths run away with them... especially when they have an audience usually in awe of them.. the only boots that are worth campaigning about are the ones actually done for the soul scene in the uk and original USA material put out in the 60s/70s or 80s is just best left alone for the good of the scene and everything connected with it

• Up vote 1
  • Thanks 1
Social source share

13 minutes ago, Dave Pinch said:

i`ll wager the majority of usa artists didnt know of their material being issued nationally or overseas and what about backing tracks being borrowed.. don gardner had no memory of the cheating kind... does that make it a bootleg..  as i said earlier about the london darrell bank that they never had the rights to..thats 2 expensive bootlegs at the top of the tree if we look at it that way.. but i`m sure somewhere down the line paperwork will exist as i dont think uk decca was in the habit of knowingly putting 45s out without permission.. in all honesty i take what the `stars` say with a massive pinch of salt as they are only human and one human frailty is to let theirs mouths run away with them... especially when they have an audience usually in awe of them.. the only boots that are worth campaigning about are the ones actually done for the soul scene in the uk and original USA material put out in the 60s/70s or 80s is just best left alone for the good of the scene and everything connected with it

I still stand my ground,i think that vault did the deal with decca through the back door hence by the time it was pressed on vocalion there is no mention of ala king at all. I am not saying that decca were dodgy but i definatly think vault were.

• Up vote 1
Social source share

1 hour ago, Dave Pinch said:

Don did have memory of Cheatin Kind ad he told us when we went for dinner he sent  a tape  down to Vanleer and that he never heard back. But you are right the industry, especially back then was full of unscrupulous people, companies and crooks. 

Knowing Popcorn, if he though some wrong was done he’d have gone after them?

I  would imagine Vocallion did a deal in good faith and Vault had the rights to license.  Unless we see the contract it is all speculation. 

Edited by Chalky
  • Up vote 2
Social source share

59 minutes ago, Chalky said:

Don did have memory of Cheatin Kind ad he told us when we went for dinner he sent  a tape  down to Vanleer and that he never heard back. But you are right the industry, especially back then was full of unscrupulous people, companies and crooks. 

Knowing Popcorn, if he though some wrong was done he’d have gone after them?

I  would imagine Vocallion did a deal in good faith and Vault had the rights to license.  Unless we see the contract it is all speculation. 

ye i could be crossed wires with don gardner.. think rob said it was issued without his consent for sure

Social source share

1 hour ago, Wheelsville1 said:

I still stand my ground,i think that vault did the deal with decca through the back door hence by the time it was pressed on vocalion there is no mention of ala king at all. I am not saying that decca were dodgy but i definatly think vault were.

it may well be true chris. corruption was rife within the industry back then and probably still is. but sadly its just talk with no paperwork to clarify one way or the other

• Up vote 1
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!