A Yankee In The Court Of Northern Soul

honky

I've gotten quite a lot out of this site since I started reading it a little while ago - thought it was about time that I gave something back. So I'm offering up copies of a 2CD 60s soul mix that I finished off recently after a couple years of work - some rare stuff (Dianne Elliott, Tommy Dent, Johnny Praye, etc.), and some not so rare - all from the original 45s.

Wasn't aiming for heavily obscure material - just a nice mix of a bunch of records I really like. So, if you're heavily into northern soul and R&B, I suspect you'll know much of what's on here, but I'm pretty sure there should be at least one new thing on here for everyone.

I'm not selling these - if the artists aren't making anything off this, I shouldn't either... But if you're so inclined (purely voluntary), you could make a donation to a worthy cause - Oxfam is one I can recommend, but there are plenty to choose from.

Edition of 1000 copies.

Compiled and mixed by DJ Honky.

Artwork by Adrienne Yan.

Printing by Stumptown Printers.

Contact me at: djhonky -- at -- hearingmusic.com with your mailing address. I will cover shipping. Depending on the demand, I may need to cut the list off at some point.

Cheers,

- honky

Images of the artwork, CDs, the pretty letterpress printing, and a few sound clips can be found here.

yankee.jpg

Social source share

• Replies 105
  • Views 12.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Posted Images

Cant stop this, Absoloutely brilliant mix!

Thanks again Richard. smile.gif

Thanks, Tony...

Been a busy week, but I think I'm all caught up now - 50 copies are now headed out to many of you. Hope you'll enjoy!

Still got plenty more if anyone else is interested...cheers,

- honky

Social source share

Guest James Trouble

Hi Honkey...

Very decent of you I must say... nice one!

Can I just ask you to introduce yourself to us all... and in turn let us welcome you to soulsource... :D

https://www.soul-source.co.uk/index.php?showforum=44

He's been a member for a year and half Joan! :thumbup:

You can meet him in person if you get to London for the New Year Soul Revolution... :P

Social source share

Hi Honkey...

Very decent of you I must say... nice one!

Can I just ask you to introduce yourself to us all... and in turn let us welcome you to soulsource... :D

https://www.soul-source.co.uk/index.php?showforum=44

Hi Joan - Actually, I did introduce myself a while back, but that post has faded a bit into the woodwork, alas...but hello again! :P

https://www.soul-source.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=37450

Several people have asked for the tracklist...preferred not posting it as I think it's more fun to listen to the first time without knowing what comes next, so below is the alphabetical list of artists on the inside cover. The tracklist should come up in iTunes when you put it in a computer.

Anyhow, another 20 or so will go out today...hope you'll all enjoy them!

Cheers,

- honky

yankee_inside.jpg

Social source share

Guest James Trouble

Mr Trouble that was the most outrageous plug I have seen this year btw I hope your Brighton adventure went the way you wanted !

Melv and i watched you with fondness asd you strolled slowly up the hill !

You old dog

:D

I do like a plug, when it's for a worthy party!

Brighton, yeah we all ended up at Caroline's, tried to get some kip, eventually got some around midday but kept getting woken up by strange dreams of Nick, Hanah, Dougy and Carolyn in weird fancy dress outfits. At least I thought they were dreams, they wouldn't all have been running around the house dressed as cowboys and indians, would they? :P

Social source share

I've gotten quite a lot out of this site since I started reading it a little while ago - thought it was about time that I gave something back. So I'm offering up copies of a 2CD 60s soul mix that I finished off recently after a couple years of work - some rare stuff (Dianne Elliott, Tommy Dent, Johnny Praye, etc.), and some not so rare - all from the original 45s.

Wasn't aiming for heavily obscure material - just a nice mix of a bunch of records I really like. So, if you're heavily into northern soul and R&B, I suspect you'll know much of what's on here, but I'm pretty sure there should be at least one new thing on here for everyone.

I'm not selling these - if the artists aren't making anything off this, I shouldn't either... But if you're so inclined (purely voluntary), you could make a donation to a worthy cause - Oxfam is one I can recommend, but there are plenty to choose from.

Edition of 1000 copies.

Artwork by Adrienne Yan.

Contact me at: djhonky -- at -- hearingmusic.com with your mailing address. I will cover shipping. Depending on the demand, I may need to cut the list off at some point.

Cheers,

- honky

Images of the artwork, CDs, the pretty letterpress printing, and a few sound clips can be found here.

yankee.jpg

I'll send you an email tomorrow in the afternoon, it looks reaaaally cool.

You totally convinced me with that Dianne Elliot tune. Definitely the BEST soul track I've heard in more than a year...

Cheers from Mexico,

Dante

Social source share

Thanks everyone for their kind words and emails - sorry I haven't had a chance to reply yet...been busy making trips to the post office! I think I got another 50 in the mail since Monday - whew. Hopefully everyone should get theirs by early next week at the latest!

Have a good weekend, all...

- honky

Social source share

Edition of 1000 copies.

Artwork by Adrienne Yan.

Cheers,

- honky

yankee.jpg

Richard AKA DJ Honky. Quality listening, was at a mates on saturday night and took it with me, all there enjoyed it to so expect the emails to keep coming. cheers Mark.

Edited by hold tight
Social source share

Guest Arcticsoulboy

I cannot thank you enough Richard! Made my rainy monday morning so much brighter. Classy packaging and brilliant tunes to boot. EXCELLENT STUFF!

Social source share

Honky,

Got mine today. I can't thank you enough. as someone said earlier, all that time and effort, and not to mention the expense.

There is a thread currently running about all the sniping on here.

That maybe so, but when I come across people like you Honkey, Dodger for sorting my lad Paul B out with loads of stuff, Little Stevie for my Soul or Nothing CD, Keep the Boy Happy for the 10 DVDs worth of tremendous rare 60ts Northern, Mark Freeman for sorting me out with loads of CDs for 2 Wigan tapes, Dave Moore and Fergie, who must give more vinyl away to my lad than they buy, then I realise it is the same scene we loved years ago.

We may argue on here, I have had one or two crackers myself, but then you meet your "protaganist" out, or talk to someone who knows them, and you just end up laughing.

Thanks again Honky, any particular charity you favour?

Brian B

Social source share

Honky,

Got mine today. I can't thank you enough. as someone said earlier, all that time and effort, and not to mention the expense.

There is a thread currently running about all the sniping on here.

That maybe so, but when I come across people like you Honkey, Dodger for sorting my lad Paul B out with loads of stuff, Little Stevie for my Soul or Nothing CD, Keep the Boy Happy for the 10 DVDs worth of tremendous rare 60ts Northern, Mark Freeman for sorting me out with loads of CDs for 2 Wigan tapes, Dave Moore and Fergie, who must give more vinyl away to my lad than they buy, then I realise it is the same scene we loved years ago.

We may argue on here, I have had one or two crackers myself, but then you meet your "protaganist" out, or talk to someone who knows them, and you just end up laughing.

Thanks again Honky, any particular charity you favour?

Brian B

Too true Brian

The scene is and always will be about folk passing on and sharing this great music

...Yes a few bad apples but thats life...We know who they are and avoid them at all cost..

With regards to John nearly getting a semi :wicked: ,yes its a good cd but can't work wonders like that... I have a link to another site that can help you mate...

Nice topic and good to see folk pulling together...

Social source share

Guest SteveJohnston

Too true Brian

The scene is and always will be about folk passing on and sharing this great music

...Yes a few bad apples but thats life...We know who they are and avoid them at all cost..

With regards to John nearly getting a semi :wicked: ,yes its a good cd but can't work wonders like that... I have a link to another site that can help you mate...

Nice topic and good to see folk pulling together...

laugh.gif:lol::lol: .................good one Nonky

Social source share

Got mine today, you sir, are a toff and no mistake.

simply make your self known to me next time you are out in Buckinghamshire and I will provide you with an organic cider of your choice.

Social source share

Guest kent soul club

Just got in from a crap day at work, and there it was (and only sent my details on monday) My day just got much better!

I'm listening as I type-every track a good'un so far. This is why I'm into Northern Soul. Thank you dj Honky.

Mr Magoo :thumbsup:

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!