Hello All

Hello there, just registered. I am starting to collect soul/funk/dance/hip hop records and basically am looking for any advise on where i should start. Is there any sort of price guide or any means of making sure i`m not getting ripped off? Are there many auctions (other than ebay i mean) or fares or private collections that come up for sale anywhere? Any help appreciated thanks.

Social source share

• Replies 9
  • Views 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Guest Brian Ellis

Hi Danniboy

Welcome to Soul Source - I'm sure you'll get lots of advice from very friendly people.

Ebay is the premier league auction site, but there are others. It's midnight and I'm a bit knackered otherwise would get you some links - if no one else does by tomorrow I'll try and sort something out.

Some decent Price Guides - John Manship's and Tim Brown's are very useful; also Kev Roberts' Northern Soul Top 500 can give you some pointers (although I think it's a bit too subjective and not necessarily based on current prices). Use the guides as guides only - not Bibles; prices listed may frighten you a bit though. But don't fall in to the trap of thinking all expensive records are good records; there are many more inexpensive records that are as good (or better in many cases). Try to get to hear records if you can before buying - beware people describing the records they are selling as 'starting to get plays' 'must have record' 'price can only go up' etc etc. Often you can get sound bytes from the internet. The Soul Club Jukebox is probably the most comprehensive for this - here's the link (I'm able to find that without much trouble!). Try it, it's very good.

https://the.soulclub.org/

Welcome to the crazy world of Northern Soul. Hope you enjoy Soul Source - you'll certainly end up knowing more from reading these pages than almost anywhere else.

Hope this helps.

Brian

Edited by Brian Ellis
Social source share

Hello there, just registered.  I am starting to collect soul/funk/dance/hip hop records and basically am looking for any advise on where i should start.  Is there any sort of price guide or any means of making sure i`m not getting ripped off?  Are there many auctions (other than ebay i mean) or fares or private collections that come up for sale anywhere?  Any help appreciated thanks.

link

Hi Dan,

Don't know too much about funk/dance/hip hop really. Went from Motown to the rarer stuff (as well) a number of years back and not much else has had a look in since.

Anyway, this site has a great sound gallery with a goodly number of sounds and live broadcasts, soul do's etc to listen to.

As far as price guides and so on there are a few. There's Kev Roberts' Northern Soul Top 500 available from Goldmine and also a newer price guide available from the same place. Lists either by email or through the post are good to keep yourself updated with prices etc. Rob Messer's Hip City list is worth checking out. Also Shifty's Raving Mad Records provide the creme de la creme of soul £4k+ items regularly. Pat Brady's list is great, been around for years. John Manship has a top list/auction site every week. www.raresoulman.co.uk People say he's dear but his records are always in great nick and he's knows a shedload about bootlegs.

There are many more lists and sites, but this place, Google searches etc on the above and Ebay will see you right for starters.

Good luck matey.

Keep the faith.

Simsy :lol:

Social source share

Hello there, just registered.  I am starting to collect soul/funk/dance/hip hop records and basically am looking for any advise on where i should start.  Is there any sort of price guide or any means of making sure i`m not getting ripped off?  Are there many auctions (other than ebay i mean) or fares or private collections that come up for sale anywhere?  Any help appreciated thanks.

link

Hi Daniboy.

If you haven't done so already, check out:

www.funk45.com

Loads of clips of fantastic funk tunes. They're all in pretty ropey Real Audio but you get a pretty good idea of what they sound like and it'll give you plenty of ideas on what to look for on eBay. You won't get the monster stuff like Salt or 3rd Guitar without paying through the nose but there's tons of stuff in funk45 that you can pick up really cheaply on the Bay (just for Pete s :lol: ) or in set sales.

And if you're anywhere near Scarborough tomorrow night (Sat 19th) and fancy a bit of funk and old school Hip Hop come to Critical Beatdown at Vivas, Huntriss Row.

Oh yeah, listen to reggae as well :lol:

Cheers,

Godz

Edited by Godzilla
Social source share

Guest Brian Ellis

Hard to tell Dani as posts only really give people's pseudonyms. There are some international people on the forum, but my guess is that it is 90%+ UK.

Maybe Mike (Soul Source originator and main man!) can give you a better idea.

Brian

Social source share

Hi Daniboy and welcome to the comm.

A good source of sounds, just to see what you like is www.soulclub.org you can find many tracks and hear them before shelling out on another site to buy them. That way you won't need to buy 'blind'. As Brian said price is not the best indication of quality, or even what you'll like.

Ged whistling.gif

Social source share

Hi Daniboy and welcome to the comm.

A good source of sounds, just to see what you like is www.soulclub.org you can find many tracks and hear them before shelling out on another site to buy them. That way you won't need to buy 'blind'. As Brian said price is not the best indication of quality, or even what you'll like.

Ged whistling.gif

link

Yeah soul club, top tip. That reminds me, Nick's history next to soul club in my favourites

https://freespace.virgin.net/nickrennie.1/m...tracksearch.htm

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!