Emidiscs - Them Were The Days

• Replies 30
  • Views 3.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

You're my hero!  May I call you Mr Soul?

link

I had 2, Don Ray ....Born a loser, & Yvonne vernee..just like you did me ( slightly fast ). Good quality sound.

Seem to remember some guy from Leicester who used to advertise in " Black Echo's" that he could put most big sounds on EMI, Not sure of his name, think the quality of them was a bit "Shakey".

Social source share

Seem to remember some guy from Leicester who used to advertise in " Black Echo's" that he could put most big sounds on EMI,  Not sure of his name, think the quality of them was a bit "Shakey".

link

Rob Lythall?

He used to get his done in Blackpool by the same guy that did mine. I packed in after someone who should remain nameless was a bit upset at me having Eddie Parker - I'm gone for sale. I decided to pack it in and stick to vinyl from then on whistling.gif

Godz

Social source share

I used to pay £4 for mine. Remember having 'Don't take it out on this world' b/w 'You better go go'.

link

First ones I bought were Tobi Legend / Dena Barnes and The Drifters " Dues " / Edward Hamilton " Weep " off Steve Glover in Soul Galore in B'ham .Also bought a Lou Pride /Little Anthony off a guy in Wigan record bar who used to sell loads .They have a really distictive smell , don't they ? Also bought a crap copy of " Rosemary " -Popcorn Wylie off a guy at Kettering all - dayer in the mid 70's .The last one was a ten inch 4 tracker off Pep which had Dean Courtney [Mgm ] and Syng Mcgowan on as far as I remember . Best ,Eddie .

Social source share

Emi Disc Pete Lawson undisputed king of the EMI,S  whistling.gif

link

Went up to Carnforth with him a couple of times to pick them up and to make the next order. Keith Bradley who also lived in Ormskirk also used to do them. I think Elsie Frankson in B&S was always threatening to report them.

Social source share

Went up to Carnforth with him a couple of times to pick them up and to make the next order.  Keith Bradley who also lived in Ormskirk also used to do them.  I think Elsie Frankson in B&S was always threatening to report them.

link

=======================================

Keith Bradley was Pete,s sidekick for a short time I think Keiths a taxi driver these days , we use to get loads of 45,s off Bob Canteeno from San F around 73/74

Calvin Grayson, Celest Hardie, Bobby Williams,ect ect ect for a few $

multi copies of each and me and Pete use to knock them out for a couple £ each we really struggled to sell Celest Hardie and ended up sellin them for 50p

each ,those where the days Innervision £3 I sold Bob Hinsley one at the

Mecca, buggers still got it and wont take a fiver for it ggrrrrrr, Pete use to sell

loads of Emi,s and I was a;ways falling out with him over selling them, I remember

he borrowed my rare stamps lp for Sweet Sherry and PP Arnold 45 to tape and ended up Emi-ing them when I found out i went mad :angry:

But no matter what crazy stunts Pete use to play he always remained one of my closest buddies and you always had a laugh whenever Pete was around,

I still miss Pete and the scene was a sadder place when he passed over !

Ian Cunliffe

Social source share

Guest enchantedrythm

I believe Jack Bollington from Derby used to knock quite a few out.

link

Jack used to get his where we all got ours-swifty, Steve elliot then Hector. Jack would come back from 45 philips and trade loads off for emi's as the profit was better.

My first was invitations-skiing and butch baker-batman. Some odd emi's are out there though, had the antiques-go for yourslf for two or three years before we knew for certain it was the said disc, backed with abstract reality on sport.

Rob smith in his aluminium period had so many in his play box he had to hire in lifters-the heaviest box on the scene.

Also got a couple of 12" l.ps from the days of Nolan Porter Oh Baby, broadway sissy, full time groover, mony cant, and what really must be one of the worst sets ever .£25 in late 70's was a lot of money but they sold extremely well considering.

Later on Jack got a new supplier and rubbed the nose of that overworked little cutter out of place- Hi Fi certainly wasnt on our list before. That machine was little more than a converted sea side message recorder that cut 2" blanks.

Northhampton became the holy grail after that.

Social source share

Jack used to get his where we all got ours-swifty, Steve elliot then Hector. Jack would come back from 45 philips and trade loads off for emi's as the profit was better.

My first was invitations-skiing and butch baker-batman. Some odd emi's are out there though, had the antiques-go for yourslf for two or three years before we knew for certain it was the said disc, backed with abstract reality on sport.

Rob smith in his aluminium period had so many in his play box he had to hire in lifters-the heaviest box on the scene.

Also got a couple of 12" l.ps from the days of Nolan Porter Oh Baby, broadway sissy, full time groover, mony cant, and what really must be one of the worst sets ever .£25 in late 70's was a lot of money but they sold extremely well considering.

Later on Jack got a new supplier and rubbed the nose of that overworked little cutter out of place- Hi Fi certainly wasnt on our list before. That machine was little more than a converted sea side message recorder that cut 2" blanks.

Northhampton became the holy grail after that.

link

somebody in sheffield had a machine that used old records instead of EMI disc`s to cut latest choons on,can anybody shed any light?or am i dreamin`ken.

Social source share

why were emi discs accepted on the scene , can anyone tell me the difference between these and the new lot of acetates being cut by vinylcarvers , choose your own tracks straight on to vinyl

as im relativley new to the scene only been going out in the past few years i wasnt around when these first came to light but now it seems people are admitting to have had them done

dave

Social source share

=======================================

Keith Bradley was Pete,s sidekick for a short time I think Keiths a taxi driver these days , we use to get loads of 45,s off Bob Canteeno from San F around 73/74

Calvin Grayson, Celest Hardie, Bobby Williams,ect ect ect for a few $

multi copies of each and me and Pete use to knock them out for a couple £ each we really struggled to sell Celest Hardie and ended up sellin them for 50p

each ,those where the days Innervision £3 I sold Bob Hinsley one at the

Mecca, buggers still got it and wont take a fiver for it ggrrrrrr, Pete use to sell

loads of Emi,s and I was a;ways falling out with him over selling them, I remember

he borrowed my rare stamps lp for Sweet Sherry and PP Arnold 45 to tape and ended up Emi-ing them when I found out i went mad  :angry:

But no matter what crazy stunts Pete use to play he always remained one of my closest buddies and you always had a laugh whenever Pete was around,

I still miss Pete and the scene was a sadder place when he passed over !

Ian Cunliffe

link

I remember some of the "Top" DJs of the time also used the same studios to have EMIs cut of the current top sounds. The owner used to keep them on tape to add to Petes sales list. Pete was certainly a character and is sorely missed.

Social source share

why were emi discs accepted on the scene , can anyone tell me the difference between these and the new lot of acetates being cut by vinylcarvers , choose your own tracks straight on to vinyl

as im relativley new to the scene only been going out in the past few years i wasnt around when these first came to light but now it seems people are admitting to have had them done

dave

Good point Dave, I don't think there is any difference between those emidiscs of yesteryear and the new batch of acatates floating around.

It was wrong then, and it's wrong now.

Nick

Social source share

My first was Rita DaCosta "Don't bring me down"/Stagemasters "Baby I'm here just to love you", bought off Pep in' 73, with the Catacombs office rubber stamp on the labels! Then a copy of "Thumb a ride" with the inst. of "Cool Jerk"!

In my defence we needed them at the time to play the tunes to the locals - the luxury of buying originals only didn't come until a few years later.

Jerry.

Edited by Jerry Hipkiss
Social source share

Guest in town Mikey

Mikey, if that came from where I think, the quality must be appalling!

Jerry.

link

I think you are probably guessing correctly Jerry :D:P

I wanted Beverley Ann, cos all the girls loved it, and I liked the girls :lol:

Conway Jones (remember him? Welsh guy, settled in Dursley) wanted Jay, cos he'd heard it at Wigan and loved it. So we comprimised, and both had one

Social source share

I wanted Beverley Ann, cos all the girls loved it, and I liked the girls  :lol:

Well, I liked the Stroud girls... :D:P but yes, Beverly Ann was a banker for gettin' em going at Yate! My first copy was a black issue off Rich Ballinger, the guy who put on the Stroud all-dayers, just as it was going big, and then I traded it and ended up with a white demo. Still got it, though it's a few years since I played it.

Back on topic, the person behind those boots stuck a mike on the stage beneath the decks - if he'd got it nearer to the speaker it might have been a bit better, I recall at least one he did actually had Yate crowd chatter in the background. Not an expert...

Jerry.

Social source share

Good point Dave, I don't think there is any difference between those emidiscs of yesteryear and the new batch of acatates floating around.

It was wrong then, and it's wrong now.

Nick

link

Nick

I think so many people had them because we were all skint and they were cheap...........and a lot of the tunes werent as available as they are now with tinternet etc,.... doesnt make it right but there were cart loads around and the "must have" frenzy of getting a tune to play at the boys club or get it played at the local northern venue that no one else had was almost unbearable at times.

Everybody where i was from had a couple each my first one was beverly ann as well...dont know where it ended up sold it as soon as it had been played at the Plaza by Groovy trev the DJ (soiled goods after one play for me had to move on quick you see)

Geeooooordie whistling.gif

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!