Guest Brian Ellis

• Replies 99
  • Views 8.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Jamie,

He did state they were reissues and (its hard to judge in text) apeared to belittle anyone who played then in his "hot shot dj" comments.

anyway its done so dont drag it any further and hey keep the wankerman comments to yourself

whistling.gif

link

No offence intended, just tried to make light. thumbsup.gif

Like you said, it's done and dusted. :P

Jamie :yes:

Social source share

Why, do they sound different???

link

Unfortunately they do. Grapevine along with basically everyone else digitizes the music before putting it back on vinyl. It's not about when it was issued or re-issued it's about whether it's still analogue or not, which none of it is except one I'm aware of that came out a few months ago. I'm sure there's plenty of master tapes in great or bakeable condition that could be used to put out new records worthy of all the originals, and would ultimately command the same high prices even in the near future unlike any of the grapevine material.

Music died when it went digital whistling.gif

Social source share

Unfortunately they do. Grapevine along with basically everyone else digitizes the music before putting it back on vinyl. It's not about when it was issued or re-issued it's about whether it's still analogue or not, which none of it is except one I'm aware of that came out a few months ago. I'm sure there's plenty of master tapes in great or bakeable condition that could be used to put out new records worthy of all the originals, and would ultimately command the same high prices even in the near future unlike any of the grapevine material.

Music died when it went digital  whistling.gif

link

Good point actually - you only have to listen to the Uk releases of Chapter Five, The Capitals and Gerri Hall - they all sound very compressed and dull

Social source share

Good point actually - you only have to listen to the Uk releases of Chapter Five, The Capitals and Gerri Hall - they all sound very compressed and dull

link

I never buy new records purposely but I do know how crap they sound. Ovenchips people told me the wade flemons Jeanette was a 70's reissue so I picked it quickfast for a tenner. When it came obviously brand new I decided to give it a listen anyways. Surprised how murky it sounded, most digital transfers are good at 'cleaning' up.

Social source share

Oh yes please!!!! thumbsup.gif

link

can i come out from under the bed now..has he calmed down whistling.gif .

christian i know its youre choice but you missing out on some great venues and top music by wearing those blinkers.

would be interested in the clubs you attend in the uk that have never placed a boot or reissue.

Social source share

Jamie, thats the fun of this site always people getting worked up by the end its been a good laugh.

what dates your do on in leeds? me and billytheboot are threatening to get over Im a great fan of John parkers music

thumbsup.gif

link

I'll PM you Geordie whistling.gif

Social source share

Some people have a different views on the matter, and we should respect views without getting to the level of profanity. Jamie  whistling.gif

link

Agree there jamie, I know the thread as moved away from it's original point, however, There are some venues when only original vinyl will be accepted, there are some venues, especially mainstream Northern Oldies nights when to be honest most punters on the door who pay to get in couldn't give a toss what format the track was played in, Original, re-issue, god forbid even C.D.

Thinx we all need to be a little broad minded, after all it is the 21st century.

JM

Social source share

Gotta say that when people start getting over excited and then use abuse to force a point home i feel the initial "brawl" is already lost..........

Brian Ellis originally asked a very valid question and one that a few of us tried to answer with complete honesty. What gets me, is when someone cannot argue their point with any dexterity, then the post gets entrenched in mindless in fighting, starting to seem like a total waste of time even getting involved in a reasonable topic..............

Social source share

Gotta say that when people start getting over excited and then use abuse to force a point home i feel the initial "brawl" is already lost..........

Brian Ellis originally asked a very valid question and one that a few of us tried to answer with complete honesty. What gets me, is when someone cannot argue their point with any dexterity, then the post gets entrenched in mindless in fighting, starting to seem like a total waste of time even getting involved in a reasonable topic..............

link

Shuddup you big puff. whistling.gifthumbsup.gif:P

Social source share

link

If you believe your opinion is the right one then why shouldn't you be allowed to fight your corner without some do gooder saying 'break it up children'...

Social source share

Guest Stuart T

Heh heh! Great thread this, missed a bloody good row.

Isn't the problem with Grapevine releases that just about anyone can get them. So if you rely on booking DJs who play them you stand a good chance of having loads of DJs up and down the country who just play the same records all the time. Which would be rather dull. Perhaps DJs who wouldn't have a new record to play until the next Grapevine release came out. There is clearly scope for clubs where people do that, none of my business as I don't bother with them if that is what I think that they're going to play.

However, it'd be equally dull if all the DJs have the same thirty mega rare sounds that they play all the time. In fact, you couldn't have an allnighter could you. An Hourer would be about it, six DJs, five records each, I guess. :yes:

Social source share

Heh heh!  Great thread this, missed a bloody good row.

Isn't the problem with Grapevine releases that just about anyone can get them.  So if you rely on booking DJs who play them you stand a good chance of having loads of DJs up and down the country who just play the same records all the time.  Which would be rather dull.  Perhaps DJs who wouldn't have a new record to play until the next Grapevine release came out.  There is clearly scope for clubs where people do that, none of my business as I don't bother with them if that is what I think that they're going to play. 

However, it'd be equally dull if all the DJs have the same thirty mega rare sounds that they play all the time.  In fact, you couldn't have an allnighter could you.  An Hourer would be about it, six DJs, five records each, I guess. :yes:

link

I'd actually be interested to know if anyone has ALL of the grapevine issues (aside from the unissued stuff of course) on original vinyl - I doubt if there is such a person, and they'd have one hell of a collection if they did!!!

Social source share

can i come out from under the bed now..has he calmed down  :yes: .

christian  i know its youre choice but you missing out on some great venues and top music by wearing those blinkers.

would be interested in the clubs you attend in the uk that have never placed a boot or reissue.

link

Name me 10 great clubs or 10 great DJs who have built their reputation on playing boots or reissues ?

Christian is not being blinkered - he simply knows the score mate.

Hammy

Social source share

If you believe your opinion is the right one then why shouldn't you be allowed to fight your corner without some do gooder saying 'break it up children'...

link

Pete your spot on, just don't feel it is neccessary to drop to the level of abuse, surely an individual can get his/her point over without resorting to that. Their are guidelines on the site that do not advocate this sort of thing.

I swear, shout and fight like anyone else, but after all this is a Soul related Forum, not the lowfield stand at Elland Road.

Social source share

Name me 10 great clubs or 10 great DJs who have built their reputation on playing boots or reissues ?

Hammy

link

Ian Levine

Richard Searling

John Vincent

Alan Rhodes

Pep

Russ Winstanley

in fact anyone who was around in the 70's played "emidiscs", all of them did without exception

Social source share

Bloody hell it's like Groundhog Day on ere sometimes....how many times has this subject been discussed....do you play reissues, don't you? I think it's just an excuse for the boys to have a good old virtual scrap :yes::yes: Even better when you live in another country and you can be even more daring with the insults!!

Social source share

In this context where might Percy Stone and the Explosions - Chained stand in the future?  It has been withdrawn by Grapevine with very few copies reaching the market place; potentially the British release could now be even rarer than the US release on Ram.

Brian

link

I think you'd be surprised how many did get out, especially demos of this :yes: Won't be as rare as you imagine :yes:

Social source share

Something else ...really like your avatar of "the prince" Pete.

I've personally met him several times and he's such a great man

in real life. He lives in Miami these days I believe. I have a

signed Blue Beat copy of "Dance cleopatra" on my wall :yes:

Social source share

Something else ...really like your avatar of "the prince" Pete.

I've personally met him several times and he's such a great man

in real life. He lives in Miami these days I believe. I have a

signed Blue Beat copy of "Dance cleopatra" on my wall  :yes:

link

Bloody hell! Nice one.

Jealous :yes:

Social source share

Even better when you live in another country and you can be even more daring with the insults!!

:yes: ...yep... Well I'm coming to Yarmouth this year, so anyone who wishes

to settle a score with me - please do come an introduce yourselves :yes::lol:

Nah, just kidding... let's all be friends now and agree that reissues suck :yes:

Keep it real or shut the f**k up :lol:

Social source share

:no: ...yep... Well I'm coming to Yarmouth this year, so anyone who wishes

to settle a score with me - please do come an introduce yourselves  :yes:   :P

Nah, just kidding... let's all be friends now and agree that reissues suck  :yes:  

Keep it real or shut the f**k up  :lol:

link

:D:D:D I'll be there :yes::lol:

Social source share

Hammy

link

i asked a simple question in reply to cristians post which was " I would only ever attend a serious allnighter/soul night that didnt play reissues".

were talking venues here mate not dj,s .

he recons he only attends those venues that NEVER play boot/reissues.

im interested to know what these clubs are.

maybe you can tell us as youre on his wavelenght.

theres hundreds of soul clubs out there so what we talking.5% ,50% of all clubs.

sorry cant answer youre qustion as i couldnt name 10dj,s.

father christmas could be behind the decks for all i care.

as long as i like the music ill be on the dancefloor enjoying meself,,,not looking over santas shoulder to see if hes playing first issue originals.

Social source share

to settle a score with me - please do come an introduce yourselves  :yes:   :lol:

Nah, just kidding... let's all be friends now and agree that reissues suck  :yes:  

link

Look forward to meeting you Christian - I assume you have been before? Judging by your playlists you'll enjoy it....

Social source share

I've always enjoyed seeing scores settled with a good old fashioned "Cutlass" one borne of "Whipped Steel" with a "Boned" handle. Ask the other Pete Smith(lagerlout) about this as a weapon of choice in savage street battles :yes:

Social source share

to settle a score with me - please do come an introduce yourselves  :yes:   :lol:

link

Shall see you there mate, was hoping you'd make it over last weekend. Maybe next Lifeline?

Social source share

Look forward to meeting you Christian - I assume you have been before? Judging by your playlists you'll enjoy it....

link

Nope, it's actually my first time. I've been thinking about coming over there for ages. But as the sad f**ker I am - I spent all my money on ORIGINAL vinyl instead :yes: Let's just hope that the DJ's there stick to their originals.

At least I'm sure that Andy Dyson won't let me down in the "deep room" :lol:

Cheers,

Christian

PS! Hope you're not as scary-looking as that "local shop for local people" avatar-lady of yours :yes:

Edited by cC B
Social source share

Guest Richard Bergman

link

Not a fan of reissues myself , but there is no need to be abusive - Everyone is entitled to an opinion, Lets drag this forum from the gutter ! All clasp hands together on the count of three ................

It is a forum afterall so the shut the f#ck up line of arguement cannot hold little if any weight

Social source share

Guest Brian Ellis

Oh my God :yes::yes:

I've not been around the forum this afternoon - went for a game of golf; 4 hours later World War 3 has erupted in Soul Cyberspace.

I never intended my quite innocent initial question to raise any hackles - just thought it a valid topic for a bit of sensible debate.

And I thought that now aggravated anonymous posts were banned from Soul Source the level of controversy amongst like-minded people would fall away.

If I'd set out to cause forum havoc - I don't think I could have done it better if I'd tried.

Hope everyone can calm down.

Now what do you think about playing Grapevine CDs at nighters -aaaaargh - only joking!

Brian

Social source share

It is a forum afterall so the shut the f#ck up line of arguement cannot hold little if any weight

Relax, I was just joking, matey :yes: If you read all the post on here you

will notice that it wasn't me who started to get abusive on here - all I said was

IMO - each to their own. No need for anyone to feel offended. After all I'm just

a 29 year old kid from Oslo :lol: So who cares what I say or mean?? :yes:

Social source share

:lol: ...yep... Well I'm coming to Yarmouth this year, so anyone who wishes

to settle a score with me - please do come an introduce yourselves  :yes:   :no:

Keep it real or shut the f**k up  :yes:

link

At least two of the DJs have played Grapevine 45s at Yarmouth Christian .I will introduce myself to you and then point them out :lol:

Adam

Social source share

Shall see you there mate, was hoping you'd make it over last weekend.  Maybe next Lifeline?

link

Will really try to make it to Lifeline the next time. What date is the next one?

Now, this is my kind of venue - quality & fresh 60s and 70s soul all played on

original vinyl or studio acetates. And what a line up! Dyson, Butch, Soul Sam,

Mick H etc.etc. Why settle for second best over there, when you have allnighters

like this in the UK :yes:

Social source share

Will really try to make it to Lifeline the next time. What date is the next one?

Now, this is my kind of venue - quality & fresh 60s and 70s soul all played on

original vinyl or studio acetates. And what a line up! Dyson, Butch, Soul Sam,

Mick H etc.etc. Why settle for second best over there, when you have allnighters

like this in the UK  :yes:

link

16th April Christian. Offer still stands as well :yes:

Social source share

Nope, it's actually my first time. I've been thinking about coming over there for ages. But as the sad f**ker I am - I spent all my money on ORIGINAL vinyl instead  :yes:   Let's just hope that the DJ's there stick to their originals.

At least I'm sure that Andy Dyson won't let me down in the "deep room"  :yes:

Cheers,

Christian

PS! Hope you're not as scary-looking as that "local shop for local people" avatar-lady of yours  :lol:

link

You won't be let down at all by some of the "Yarmouth specials" Christian. Now if you excuse us "We've got a shop to run".... :lol:

Social source share

At least two of the DJs have played Grapevine 45s at Yarmouth Christian .I will introduce myself to you and then point them out :yes:

Adam

link

well thats buggered that weekend for you christian.

will you not now attend as yarmouth aint the real deal :yes: or is it just niters/soul nites you wont go to that play grapevine 45,s.

would be hypocritical of you to go after what you wrote.

:lol:

Social source share

Ian Levine

Richard Searling

John Vincent

Alan Rhodes

Pep

Russ Winstanley

in fact anyone who was around in the 70's played "emidiscs", all of them did without exception

link

Probably why the 80s will always be the golden era.... Hennigan, Darge, Colin Law, Butch, Kitch, Dean Anderson etc etc ... :yes::yes::lol::lol:

Hammy

Social source share

Adam, are you able to name these DJ's, or can you just point them out?  :yes:

link

Oh No Steve I will be taking my pointy staff to do the deed :yes: .Although Thinking about it they may have been promos.Sandra Wright "Man cant be a Man" was deffo played and I might add sounded great and Dottie Cambridge:thumbsup: .

Mind you looking forward to drooling over your Sy Hightower whilst its spinnin.

ps turn Euro sport on and have a butchers at the 7ft2 russian boxer!

Social source share

Oh No Steve I will be taking my pointy staff to do the deed :yes: .Although Thinking about it they may have been promos.Sandra Wright "Man cant be a Man" was deffo played and I might add sounded great  and Dottie Cambridge:thumbsup: .

Mind you looking forward to drooling over your Sy Hightower whilst its spinnin.

ps turn Euro sport on and have a butchers at the 7ft2 russian boxer!

link

Dottie Pearson? Now I think at least four of us played that on promo....

Sy Hightower - already in the bag :yes:

Social source share

Dottie Pearson? Now I think at least four of us played that on promo....

Of course Pearson whistling.gif

Sam Dees also in the bag?.

I was at Mike Charlton and Jennys wedding on Sat and talking to Gary Pelly who was saying that its a total sellout :thumbsup: amazing 12th year of consistant quality.

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert