Most Unexpected Floor Clearer

Bazza

I was at a venue a couple of weeks ago it was going well floor doing well....then the DJ played

Fabulous Apollos - Some Good In Everything Bad

it was as if he had put on one of Black Lace's classics....completely cleared the the floor I was stood talking to Steve and Kev ( the Attic Boys ) at the time...the DJ obviously little shocked at floor clearing properties of such a great classic tune.....muttered something along the lines of " it will grow on you " I could'nt believe it ,I think its a great tune

any thing you remember doing the same ????

Bazza

Social source share

• Replies 52
  • Views 3.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Once saw young Sean( well, I think it was Sean, if not apologies to him) clear the floor at Bury with Thelma Lindsay's ' Prepared to love you'. Mind you, I can't call him 'cause I did the same with Cindy Scott ' I love you baby' not long after!

Perhaps the additives had not kicked in at the time??!!

Julian

Social source share

Whats goin on!! :ohmy:

Toon!! :rolleyes:

yep and thats what this thread is about, shocking at times and it makes you wonder just what you think might be good many others may have a different opinion of,

Social source share

I played Zu Zu Man on Sat night @ No Way Out in Manchester.... not one fekker on the floor! Never had THAT reaction to it before! :rolleyes:

Wish some one would play it round here, last time i heard it was at middleton just after christmas in the R&B room. and I was only in there by chance, and before that was at the cleethorpes weekender upstairs, not the last one but the one before, Why do I never hear it in the main room ?? and how sad am I rembering were and when I last head a record. and whats more amazing is that ive remembered at all. :ohmy: I guess I just love the record.

Social source share

Managed to clear the floor with Al Williams I Am Nothing

Remember commenting at the time I had never seen that happen before

Won't embarrass the punters by saying where

now that i really cant believe :rolleyes:

Social source share

I was at a venue a couple of weeks ago it was going well floor doing well....then the DJ played

it was as if he had put on one of Black Lace's classics....completely cleared the the floor I was stood talking to Steve and Kev ( the Attic Boys ) at the time...the DJ obviously little shocked at floor clearing properties of such a great classic tune.....muttered something along the lines of " it will grow on you " I could'nt believe it ,I think its a great tune

Bazza

*Who`s Black Lace..You don`t mean Nottinghams own Paper Lace do you?

Must say that tune is a long time favourite of us two. love-smiley-028.gifTheres been one or two floor clearers at our place but sometimes Chris` floor clearers will, given time and enough plays, get them up and grooving!

Now Barrys a different matter....ooops!!

speechless-smiley-025.gif

Social source share

*Who`s Black Lace..You don`t mean Nottinghams own Paper Lace do you?

Must say that tune is a long time favourite of us two. love-smiley-028.gifTheres been one or two floor clearers at our place but sometimes Chris` floor clearers will, given time and enough plays, get them up and grooving!

Now Barrys a different matter....ooops!!

speechless-smiley-025.gif

Black lace classics......

agadoo

superman

music man

birdy song

classics Sharon :rolleyes:

cya soon

Bazza

Social source share

Not sure they would work Bearsy....then again...some do's Ive been to.....you just never know :ohmy::D

Bazza

:D can you imagine Butch chucking one of them in and everybody rushing out to buy a copy :wub:

Social source share

Once saw young Sean( well, I think it was Sean, if not apologies to him) clear the floor at Bury with Thelma Lindsay's ' Prepared to love you'. Mind you, I can't call him 'cause I did the same with Cindy Scott ' I love you baby' not long after!

Perhaps the additives had not kicked in at the time??!!

Julian

I once saw the Soviet 7th Armoured Guards Division clear the floor, it wasn't

a pretty sight.................. :ohmy:

Social source share

Think the worst for me was a few years back at St. Neots. I kicked the set off with trusty Sam Fletcher - I'd think it over, and totally killed it. Later on in the set; Wade Flemmons - Jeanette... cleared the floor. Couldnt believe it. :thumbsup:

Maybe people are finally starting to get their heads around records like these? As great as they are (Sam Fletcher, Wade Flemmons, Jan Jones, September Jones etc) i must admit, if i was a dancer i'm guessing i'd be sick and tired of dancing to these records and records like these.

Well, i know i'm sick of hearing them at least...

Social source share

Think the worst for me was a few years back at St. Neots. I kicked the set off with trusty Sam Fletcher - I'd think it over, and totally killed it. Later on in the set; Wade Flemmons - Jeanette... cleared the floor. Couldnt believe it. :thumbup:

Maybe people are finally starting to get their heads around records like these? As great as they are (Sam Fletcher, Wade Flemmons, Jan Jones, September Jones etc) i must admit, if i was a dancer i'm guessing i'd be sick and tired of dancing to these records and records like these.

Well, i know i'm sick of hearing them at least...

and that comes from a dj thats never had an empty floor i suppose

Social source share

Done it with Doug Banks "I just kept on dancing", I thought what the f**k as it was an oldies spot!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Mark @ funkyfeet

witnessed the same thing one year at the skeggy weekender

Social source share

Last year people cleared the floor at Hitsville during these-now brace yourselves...

1. Lonley For You Baby-Sam Dees

2. I'll Pay The Price-Moses Dillard

There was no particular rhyme or reason to it. I think it was coincidence that people were leaving the dancefloor at a certain time. Tommy Potts spoke up and said "wow never had that one clear the floor!"

Wonder what it might be this weekend!

-Jas

Social source share

How about this Eddie Parker "Love you baby " cleard it ,and Ted Taylor got it back

Venue Copenhagen Backstreet all-niter

i played love you baby -eddie parker and also mary wells - cant you see, billy butler - i'll bet you, capitols - don't say maybe baby, and others and for 45 mins only had one dancer in aroom of 90+ people. so i put on Jimmy robins - i cant please you, still no dancers. tried spellbinders - help me and packed the floor but i then only had 5 mins left of my spot :P oh happy days....... probably do the same at souldham on sat :lol:

Social source share

Guest andyrattigan

Managed to clear the floor with Al Williams I Am Nothing

Remember commenting at the time I had never seen that happen before

Won't embarrass the punters by saying where

Unreal!! How can it be? What a tune

Social source share

It's happened to me only once, where I was totally stunned by the reaction.

Normally, if the floor clears, when I'm on, I always half expect it! :lol:

But the shocker was about 26 years ago.

Searling had his exclusive "Al Johnson & The Hitmen" "Just Ask Me" cover up (Bobby Thurston) absolutely MASSIVE at Rotherham's Clifton Hall and elsewhere!

Well the enterprising young Hampsey managed to secure a copy... and having been booked for an all dayer, the same weekend at Tiffanys in Newcastle U Lyme, I was determined to make a huge impact with it as my first record!

Seem to remember I followed Dave Evison, who had the floor packed (about 350 people) with "Skiing In The Snow" or something or other, as his last tune. :ohmy:

Proud as a Peacock...the boy Hampsey drops his opener... introducing the 'biggest sound currently on the scene'.... "the incredible Al Johnson......"

Unbelievable record!.............

..... but what an anti-climax.... immediately everyone made an exit.

It was like the FIRE ALARM had gone off!

Not a single person left standing... or dancing!

...........................You could almost smell the tumbleweed.

Course, its a well established 'oldie' now, but as you all know... it's a bloody long 'un.

Spent the Longest 4 minutes of my life on that stage.

My jaw just dropped.

Just couldn't believe my eyes.

"What is wrong with these f#ckin' people????????..... it's a MONSTER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!"

Bill Payne turned to me and said... "You see Sean, it sounds much better when Searling plays it"

:D

Lesson learned.

Nothing's guaranteed to fill a floor... (except, of course, when Richard spins it) :lol: .

thumbsup.gif

Edited by Sean Hampsey
Social source share

Bazza

Oh yes! - Last week at Banbury... Everything was going 'fine and dandy', then I introduced Judy freeman and Blackrock - Hold On...said over the mike "This next record is better than sex!" - Floor completely cleared!!! ohmy.gif - Says a lot for my sex life!!! :ohmy:

Never get too confident as DJing can be so unpredictable...Got em back after havin' the sweats though...Phew!

Len.

"SILK" Rare Soul Night Midland Road, Wellingborough Northants NN8 1HF Saturday 27th October 2007 DJS -SOUL SAM - CARL FORTNUM - THE BANBURY SOUL TWINS - MALAYKA AND DAVE THORLEY - Plus resident - LENNY DOPSON- Info - 07970 361216 ***Special thanks to Malayka and Dave Thorley who are supporting this event for free...So buy them a drink!!!

Social source share

Bazza

dunno about that bazza, some black lace tracks would go down a storm at a few venues i've been to! wink.gif

Social source share

Sean Hampsey Sep 5th 2007 02:56 PM

Proud as a Peacock...the boy Hampsey drops his opener... introducing the 'biggest sound currently on the scene'.... "the incredible Al Johnson......"

Unbelievable record!.............

..... but what an anti-climax.... immediately everyone made an exit.

It was like the FIRE ALARM had gone off!

Not a single person left standing... or dancing!

...........................You could almost smell the tumbleweed.

Course, its a well established 'oldie' now, but as you all know... it's a bloody long 'un.

Spent the Longest 4 minutes of my life on that stage.

My jaw just dropped.

Just couldn't believe my eyes.

"What is wrong with these f#ckin' people????????..... it's a MONSTER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!"

Bill Payne turned to me and said... "You see Sean, it sounds much better when Searling plays it"

Lesson learned.

Nothing's guaranteed to fill a floor... (except, of course, when Richard spins it) .

with regards to the above sentence (which i have put in bold) me and my fella went to the Morcambe all dayer earlier in the year (it was being held at different pubs throughout the day and then finally onto the upstairs/downstairs pub/club place for the night time).

we had a wander round all day enjoying the different themes (i particularly liked the jazz funk in one pub which i can't remember the name of). anyway we arrived at night after eating our tea etc and went upstairs. the first Dj came on and played out some tunes.

not one person got on the [tiny] dancefloor at all. i felt sorry for the dude but being as it was me and my fella's first time there i felt a little insecure at not knowing the venue/anyone so didn't want to dance just yet (needed lots of dutch courage!) even though he was playing some good tunes.

he went off after his set. the next dj got up who we had seen throughout the day at the other venues chatting to folk and you could tell he was a regular. played his first tune - Manifesto and nearly the whole fuckin place got up and danced!!!!

me and my fella tony just looked at each other in amazement! i just said to him "now what the f*** is all that about?!"

i think with regards to the original question, its a case of if you're a regular DJ at a regular event and there are regular punters there, then they will get up and dance. if you are a guest DJ (and i know this has happened at Heywood civic one night also when a guest DJ played Johnny Sales - i can't get enough, and again, about 3 peeps got up to it). it was played later on that night by a regular DJ and nearly everyone got up to it).

that's what i think anyhow!

and TonyP - you shouldn't sell yourself short - Heywood is a great venue which has had some great DJ's Djayin there! buy maybe you were on about your tunes in which case...! cool.gif

wAvy

Social source share

Guest topcatnumpty1

Good thread, i remember many years ago ,when i had all my Detroit(1978/79) at Reflections in Middlesboro,playing Al Williams,Al Gardner,lester Tipton,Edward Hamilton(baby don,t),George Lemons etc all in the same 1 hour spot and at the end some guy said "you,d have had more up if you,d played some Wigan stompers!!!! i think the next guy on filled the floor with his first disc"-Tim Tam and the turn ons(well it was still Detroit!!!!)

love and stuff

Tony Coleby.

with regards to the above sentence (which i have put in bold) me and my fella went to the Morcambe all dayer earlier in the year (it was being held at different pubs throughout the day and then finally onto the upstairs/downstairs pub/club place for the night time).

we had a wander round all day enjoying the different themes (i particularly liked the jazz funk in one pub which i can't remember the name of). anyway we arrived at night after eating our tea etc and went upstairs. the first Dj came on and played out some tunes.

not one person got on the [tiny] dancefloor at all. i felt sorry for the dude but being as it was me and my fella's first time there i felt a little insecure at not knowing the venue/anyone so didn't want to dance just yet (needed lots of dutch courage!) even though he was playing some good tunes.

he went off after his set. the next dj got up who we had seen throughout the day at the other venues chatting to folk and you could tell he was a regular. played his first tune - Manifesto and nearly the whole fuckin place got up and danced!!!!

me and my fella tony just looked at each other in amazement! i just said to him "now what the f*** is all that about?!"

i think with regards to the original question, its a case of if you're a regular DJ at a regular event and there are regular punters there, then they will get up and dance. if you are a guest DJ (and i know this has happened at Heywood civic one night also when a guest DJ played Johnny Sales - i can't get enough, and again, about 3 peeps got up to it). it was played later on that night by a regular DJ and nearly everyone got up to it).

that's what i think anyhow!

and TonyP - you shouldn't sell yourself short - Heywood is a great venue which has had some great DJ's Djayin there! buy maybe you were on about your tunes in which case...!
cool.gif

wAvy

Social source share

notts palais, about 77 or 78, the place is packed, me and big frank from p'boro ask rob smith st play sam williams (fingers), it was like the parting of the red fuckin' sea. ALL sat down but me and frank. record finished, mr.smith said something like "at least there's two soul fans here today" proceeded to play james coit.... packed the floor?

i have no answer and you can make your own questions up but.... all those coiters at the palais... hang your heads in pop-music shame.

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!