Would Love To Know More

Guest Dan

someone asked me tonight if I was into 60s mostly and i had to say i was (not that my 60s knowledge or collection are that great by any means and notwithstanding that my all-time favourite record is pyramid which is from 1972)

which got me thinking:

can anyone recommend good 70s, 80s, 90s and Y2K soul stuff on cd, preferably compilations?

i must have spent the last 15 years thinking 'there's actually some really good, soulful stuff in the charts these days' without having a clue what any of it was and i'd love to have some of it on cd (not going to start trying to collect it on vinyl)

for instance, in about 1995 there was a great record by some bloke singing about how his brother got up one morning, went out to work and was killed in a car crash...what is that record!?

it was in the charts...unbelievably soulful and if anyone can point me in the direction of a cd comp which contains that and other like tracks i'd be eternally grateful

by cd comps i'm talking reasonably readily available ie you can order it through virgin/hmv even if they don't stock it

tia

dan

ps sorry if this topic has been covered already - if so pls point me in the direction of links

Social source share

• Replies 16
  • Views 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

yes thanks neil

i've got the modern millionaires ones and the kent stuff too and that's what's getting me interested along with a cd hippo did for me which has some great 70s and 80s on it

hadn't thought about the togetherness ones, will check those out

anyone know any soulful house compilations which are easily obtained?

any anyone know the name and artist from the record about the brother dying in a car crash? must have been about 1995 as i say, very soulful and mournful

Social source share

Hi Dan,

If your looking for comp`s that have the cross the board feel check out Piccadillyrecords.com web site, they have sound files so you can listen & make your own choice, i got two great VA albums from them.

After hours (1,2&3) have a great mixture of styles, funk, soul,house & chillout.

Also the rewind comps are really worth while checking out.

Great tip from The Big O, if you aint got "village soul" buy it blind, fantastic comp.

Good luck & happy hunting.

Garv.

Social source share

personaly i like late wigan 1977/81.not played alot especially in the east midlands.is it played anywhere else/tamalu lewis/hey little way out girl /jimmy burns/larry clinton/etc'.the returnes dont know them. whistling.gif

Social source share

Guest Johnny One Trout

Thanks Garv

Will get on there today.

Still no-one know that car crash song....anyone else even remember it?!

Dan

link

Spearhead did one along those lines around that sort of time although it was more your spoken hip hop sort of thangggg don't think that it made the charts though :sleep3: I think it was off their second album :)

Social source share

Spearhead did one along those lines around that sort of time although it was more your spoken hip hop sort of thangggg don't think that it made the charts though  :sleep3: I think it was off their second album  :)

link

No this was definitely sung...really achingly soulful record. Its bugging me now!

Social source share

Guest in town Mikey

Dan

Wasnt there a film made about then called 'Crash'??

James Spader, Blanes best mate in 'Pretty in Pink', was getting off on watching car wrecks, and shagging at the crash scenes.

Maybe it is from the soundtrack, if there is one.

PS Dan, I have left my mobile in Gloucestershire, so will only be contactable by email, or on the Welsh number (01633...)

Will catch up with Brian and sort out a good time to go and see him. :sleep3:

Social source share

The list is endless and anything on Kent or Goldmine is a must. Also, any of the Togethernbess CDs. However, for me at least, the best compliation of the past few years has to be Uncle Terry Jones 'Village Soul' - superb across the board from ll eras SOUL!

link

Tut tut!!g******e & kent in the same thread?seriously though!!my top three kent lps are:Smart,have heard you love love love,len barry,awesome,number two is:Black music is our busnes,you only have to check out the sleeve to know why??,three "Torcher",nobody as to explain` pure genious!!!,soz for bad spellin`tiz monday ya! know.ken

Edited by kenneth aitchison
Social source share

Dan

Wasnt there a film made about then called 'Crash'??

James Spader, Blanes best mate in 'Pretty in Pink', was getting off on watching car wrecks, and shagging at the crash scenes.

Maybe it is from the soundtrack, if there is one.

PS Dan, I have left my mobile in Gloucestershire, so will only be contactable by email, or on the Welsh number (01633...)

Will catch up with Brian and sort out a good time to go and see him. :sleep3:

link

Yes, bit weird Mikey, nothing to do with the song though! The Primitives also released a great indie song called Crash a few years before. Wonder what happened to that bird, she was quite fit.

Did you get my last email about your mate? I'll resend it

Kenny - Smart was a great album, you're right, and also right I shouldn't have mentioned Goldmine in the same sentence. head hanging in shame.

Social source share

Guest in town Mikey

Yes, bit weird Mikey, nothing to do with the song though! The Primitives also released a great indie song called Crash a few years before. Wonder what happened to that bird, she was quite fit.

Did you get my last email about your mate? I'll resend it

Kenny - Smart was a great album, you're right, and also right I shouldn't have mentioned Goldmine in the same sentence. head hanging in shame.

link

I always thought that record needed to be sung by Mike Reid, in his best 'runaround' voice.

'You go way too faaahst, if you dont slow dahn you gunna craaaaaaaaaaasshh'

Was it Tracy Tracy? in the Primitives? Saw them loads of times. They may have even supported Michelle Shocked, on one of her tours. Then they were supported on one tour by a reformed - Dickies. An old punk like you gotta be impressed by that. :sleep3:

Social source share

I always thought that record needed to be sung by Mike Reid, in his best 'runaround' voice.

'You go way too faaahst, if you dont slow dahn you gunna craaaaaaaaaaasshh'

Was it Tracy Tracy? in the Primitives? Saw them loads of times. They may have even supported Michelle Shocked, on one of her tours. Then they were supported on one tour by a reformed - Dickies. An old punk like you gotta be impressed by that.  :sleep3:

link

That's the one. Bleach blonde. Think they sacked their bassist for shagging her cat (I mean, literally, her cat).

Mike Reid - quality. Wouldn't have looked as good though.

The Dickies were great - all coloured vinyl speeded up canadian weirdness weren't they? I had knights in white satin on white, banana splits on yellow and paranoid (which was a great version) on black, i think.

You must have dipped your toe in the waters of punk yourself mikey?

Social source share

Guest in town Mikey

That's the one. Bleach blonde. Think they sacked their bassist for shagging her cat (I mean, literally, her cat).

Mike Reid - quality. Wouldn't have looked as good though.

The Dickies were great - all coloured vinyl speeded up canadian weirdness weren't they? I had knights in white satin on white, banana splits on yellow and paranoid (which was a great version) on black, i think.

You must have dipped your toe in the waters of punk yourself mikey?

link

Saw most of the bands, apart from the Pistols unfortunately. In my year at school there were 6 punks, 2 northern Soul, and it often seemed like, 450 Teds. The punks were my mates, and we would regualrly be set upon by literally hundreds of kids at break times. Even baraceded ourselves in a class room once, with three teds who couldnt escape. Nearly got suspended for that.

Funnily enough by the time I left school in 1980, Durlsey had become a real 'mod town', and we ended up best mates with the Teds. Some of them like the RnB side of Northern now (Chalky :sleep3: )

The punks would drag me along to gigs by bands like Boomtown Rats, Stranglers, Undertones, SLF (my fav), Damned (Superb), The Tubes, X ray specs...list goes on. Saw the Special AKA supporting one punk band at Cheltenham. That was the first time I'd heard of two Tone. Also saw Simple Minds and U2 support Siousie and the Banshees. Then punk went all Crass, Exploited, Demob etc, and I lost interest.

Social source share

Hi Dan.

For any 'Soulful House' check out anything by Joey Negro AKA Dave Lee.

I think he put together #03 in the 'Nite Life' series, really Soulful. The Southport Weekender Comp (3 CD) is pretty good too, with Joey Negro, Miguel 'Migs' and Giles Peterson (Not my cup of tea!).

Miguel Migs on his own is worth checking out.

For a really eclectic mix of soul, then you've got to get Norman Jays Journey By DJ's 'Desert Island Mix' It was deleted, but I think they've re-issued it due to demand. V V Good!

Norman Jay has put together some cracking comps which are always worth buying blind.

For something a little different check out the 'Back To Mine' and 'Another Late Night' series. Must haves from those are the Rae & Christian, Groove Armada and Zero 7.

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!