Hipshaker - Basingstoke - Sat 19th Feb

Hipshaker continues its residency @ Bang Bar, Basing View in Basingstoke on Saturday 19th February.

Hipshaker Resident DJ's spinning 6T's Funk - Soul - Jazz - Rock - R&B - Motown.

Doors are 9pm - 2am.

Admission is £4 adv & B4 11 / £5 after 11

Tickets: 01256 357757

Info: 07788 967656 / hipshakerlist@hotmail.com

Bang Bar web site:

https://www.bang-bar.com/index.htm

Hipshaker web site:

https://www.hipshaker.co.uk/

To receive regular Hipshaker updates send an e-mail to hipshakerlist@hotmail.com

Forthcoming dates & DJ's in Portsmouth:

11th March - Eneida Fever

8th April - Tony Subbuteo

13th May - DJ TBC

Forthcoming dates in Basingstoke:

16th April - Bang Bar

Forthcoming dates in Southampton:

18th March - Soul Cellar

20th May - Soul Cellar

Forthcoming dates in Ryde:

5th March - The Venue @ Ryde Theatre

29th May - The Venue @ Ryde Theatre (Part of annual Lambretta Day)

30th July - The Venue @ Ryde Theatre

24th September - The Venue @ Ryde Theatre

Hipshaker-Basing-Feb-05.gif

Edited by hipshaker 05
  • Replies 6
  • Views 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Guest andys165

Hello - looking at your list for Ryde IOW - does that mean there is no march or April Hipshaker at the Town hall? Was planning to come down in March.

Andy from Walls of Heartache

Hello - looking at your list for Ryde IOW - does that mean there is no march or April Hipshaker at the Town hall? Was planning to come down in March.

Andy from Walls of Heartache

link

ah, cheers Andy ............. I'll have to change that. We are on in Ryde on 5th March but not in April. We've decided to try it bi-monthly due to the sheer size of the venue. It holds 650 .......... and I reckon you need about 350 to make it look reasonable. We had about 420 in on Feb 5th and it was busy but comfortable.

Guest andys165

The two lovely ladies who do our door at Walls Of Heartache came down for your Feb night (a weekend away from the hubbies) and had a great night. One of them doesn't like the Beatles much tho and complained but you can't please everyone. I'm intrigued by how you put together a playlist for such a diverse crowd (musically speaking).

Did you get any of the appallingly drunk teens who wander up and down Union Street waiting for their ASBOs to arrive come into your night?

I recall seeing the Lurkers at the Town hall in '79 - mad night that was.

Andy (WOH)

The two lovely ladies who do our door at Walls Of Heartache came down for your Feb night (a weekend away from the hubbies) and had a great night. One of them doesn't like the Beatles much tho and complained but you can't please everyone. I'm intrigued by how you put together a playlist for such a diverse crowd (musically speaking).

Did you get any of the appallingly drunk teens who wander up and down Union Street waiting for their ASBOs to arrive come into your night?

I recall seeing the Lurkers at the Town hall in '79 - mad night that was.

Andy (WOH)

link

Andy ....... I'm glad your friends had a good night. Its strange one of them mentioned the Beatles as we were being hounded for most of the evening by one guy to play the Beatles ....... which we did, but only 2 tracks though. Drive My Car & the excellent Taxman.

It can be difficult with such a mixed crowd but we stick to our sixties theme. Within that we blend all sorts ... a bit of r&b, latin, funk, northern, ska/reggae, hammond jazz etc etc. It seems to work in the main but people looking for a particular style would be better off going elsewhere. It is very rare that we stick on one style of music for more than a few tracks at a time ........... and in order to keep the music rotating me and simon (the other DJ) tend to play 5 tracks at a time for more or less the whole night. To some here that would sound horrendous I'm sure but we don't suffer from the dancefloor filling and emptying one track at a time like I've seen at northern & mod clubs. When our dancefloors get busy they tend to stay busy.

As for the drunken teens .......... so far we've had none at all. New Years Eve we had 650 in and Feb as about 410 or 420 and no trouble orth mentioneing. We do get a few people trying to get up on the stage to dance which gets the security a little excited but these people are just enthusiastic.

And the Lurkers ......... are they as bad live as they are on record? Actually, I just bought a DVD called "Punk In London" .... the Lurkers are on that and pretty awful.

andy ......... i've just heard that we've had to cancel our march event at ryde theatre. it is closing for a few weeks to deal with some structural issues.

our next one will now be on may 29th, the bank holiday weekend. its a sunday night and is part of the annual lambretta day (2 days!). there will be bands and local dj's on the saturday night and hipshaker on the sunday night. this should be a busy night as i believe it was very busy last year.