Frank Wilson - Do I Love You - Dct Recorders Los A

Jim G

Just seen this on John Manships site and couldn't see a post on here.

So is this the real deal?

If it is the, original acetate it must be worth £'000s?

Over to the experts on here and no doubt the debates will rage.

I am not a collector just a fan who was on the scene from '71 to '78 and I will watch this auction with great interest!

Oh and a quick Hi to anyone who might have known me in the 70T's (I am Rory Gallagher and was from Newton Aycliffe) thumbsup.gif

Edited by jim g
Social source share

• Replies 17
  • Views 3.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Posted Images

Just realised you said over to the experts. Not one so maybe shouldn't have answered.

however i must admit I was intrigued to hear you were from Newton Aycliffe.

I always thought you were from Ireland and in some sort of rock band. And dead.

post-1918-1108942716_thumb.jpg

Soz mate. Bet you get that all the time.

no offence intended thumbsup.gif:wicked::thumbsup:

godz

Edited by Godzilla
Social source share

Also managed to delete my original post due to drunken geniusness. here's what I said though:

Unlikely to be from the 60's I think.

DCT recorders on Hollywood Boulevard did all of Sousan's 70's acetates. I used to have the Detroit Symphony "I Have Faith In You" instrumental with an inst version of "I Hurt On The Other Side" credited to Sidney Barnes Orchestra on the flip which was on DCT. I've also seen some of those so called Mirwood Strings tunes (which were backing tracks with synth strings added) on DCT acetates. I assume they were given to DJs prior to the Soul Fox releases.

So an interesting artifact but no real rarity value I reckon.

Godz

Edited by Godzilla
Social source share

Just realised you said over to the experts. Not one so maybe shouldn't have answered.

however i must admit I was intrigued to hear you were from Newton Aycliffe.

I always thought you were from Ireland and in some sort of rock band. And dead.

post-1918-1108942716_thumb.jpg

Soz mate. Bet you get that all the time.

no offence intended  ranting_1.gif   ranting_1.gif   whistling.gif

godz

link

=======

Think the band was Taste

Social source share

Emailed Manship a few days ago about this with my info' and he replied in bold letters .... see below...

From Simon Soussan's "Collection"??? YES

He bought the actual record in L.A., From Tom Depiero

and sold it in England, NO

almost immediately upon his return.

He may have gotten a tape of it quite a while earlier than he got the record (but I'm

not sure of that). Was it heard in the clubs for a long time before the

real Soul record was sold in U.K? YES IT WAS

I really doubt that it was cut in 1965. SO DO I.

john @

John Manship Records

Website www.raresoulman.co.uk

Email john@raresoulman.co.uk

Social source share

Amazin that someone has bid £60 so far, but more importantly, if it is a 'boot' acetate why bother with the auction?

Oh, and I got nickamed 'Rory' cos my surname is Gallagher, but it stuck and most people including my ex wife still call me Rory! :D

Social source share

Guest enchantedrythm

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

It is a original Acetate a Simon Soussan Original :yes:   :yes:   :yes:

link

on the nail, a true original bootleg acetate master tape reversed pressing die stamp lathe copy bootleg ZTSC , to give its true title---------Worthless.

will wear badly.

hi ian

Social source share

I had one of these acetates given me by Les McCutcheon in the seventies, he was about to get stock of the first copies of "Do I Love You" credited to Eddie Foster (ie Frank Wilson sped up)and Simon gave him a handful of the acetates to pass on to DJ's and distributors.

Around the same time there was an acetate via Simon from same acetate supplier in LA,it was the unreleased Sisters Sledge version of (I think) "Just A Little Misunderstanding"

Neil

Social source share

Someone correct me if I am wrong. I remember the time before tapes and cd's were available, that you could walk into an American record store and go into a booth. You could listen to songs and if you wanted could pay to record the disc to probably an acetate disc. Is this where Simon "DISCOVERED" his records?????

Social source share

• 2 weeks later...

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!