Buying Blind (or Is That Deaf?)

Supercorsa

I'm waiting for a record to arrive from USA (yet another Ebay purchase), which I have purchased blind. The record is: Linda Carr - Baby Are You Puttin' Me On (DCP Promo), bought blindly cause of the names Randazzo & Hart on the label. I checked Manship's site he's got a copy for £20, mines costing £7 including postage. So I figured even if it's not to my taste it's only cost me £7 not £20 (+postage)!

The thing is there are thousands of original singles out there, but I'm never going to hear them all, whether that's on the internet or out at do's. As a result we all buy blindly on occasions, I was just sat here wondering, what you bought blind that either turned out to be great or utter garbage?

I just thought it might make an interesting topic. thumbsup.gif

Social source share

• Replies 33
  • Views 3.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Posted Images

I'm waiting for a record to arrive from USA (yet another Ebay purchase), which I have purchased blind.  The record is: Linda Carr - Baby Are You Puttin' Me On (DCP Promo), bought blindly cause of the names Randazzo & Hart on the label.  I checked Manship's site he's got a copy for £20, mines costing £7 including postage.  So I figured even if it's not to my taste it's only cost me £7 not £20 (+postage)!

The thing is there are thousands of original singles out there, but I'm never going to hear them all, whether that's on the internet or out at do's.  As a result we all buy blindly on occasions, I was just sat here wondering, what you bought blind that either turned out to be great or utter garbage?

I just thought it might make an interesting topic.  thumbsup.gif

link

I buy lots of stuff blind, though only cheap.

Best one was WDJ copy of Tami Lynn 'Nobody wants you' backed with a version of 'Trouble Child' on Fayette for $3.

Great tracks, and was well pleased :D

A few months later I saw it on a decent delears list for £500 :D

Apparently it's her mega rare debut...... bargain!

Had a few other nice hits including a top unkown R&B tune that I'm covering up as Peppermint Harris (till some tw@t tells me it's well known!) :thumbsup: .......but I have bought loadsa of shite too.......most of it still collecting dust in my office....

Might be collectible one day...or so I keep telling myself! :wicked:

Half the fun of ebay to be honest....and great topic for a post :lol:

Regards,

Mace.

Social source share

I buy lots of stuff blind, though only cheap.

Best one was WDJ copy of Tami Lynn 'Nobody wants you' backed with a version of 'Trouble Child' on Fayette for $3.

Great tracks, and was well pleased  :D

A few months later I saw it on a decent delears list for £500  :D

Apparently it's her mega rare debut...... bargain!

Had a few other nice hits including a top unkown R&B tune that I'm covering up as Peppermint Harris (till some tw@t tells me it's well known!)  thumbsup.gif .......but I have bought loadsa of shite too.......most of it still collecting dust in my office....

Might be collectible one day...or so I keep telling myself!  :wicked:

Half the fun of ebay to be honest....and great topic for a post  :lol:

Regards,

Mace.

link

....dealer, not delear...I really shouldn't type owt after midnight cus me spelling goes to cock! :thumbsup:

Mace

Social source share

I Bought Marrisa Gatti on Poo Pan ,,If thats what you want.

as I knew it was rare

Blind for £200..It was absolute shite

I hate that record with a Vengance ..Dross of the Highest order.

"It takes a lot of leaves to cover the trees.I takes a lot of water to fill the sea"Worst feckin lyric ever to my ears.What the FECK is that all about..

Close to the Bad lines buy Cajun Hart.."And once I stopped to watch a tree grow" or the Dynamics.."You make my liver quiver"

That was my worst buy of ALLTIME

NEVER TO BE FORGOTTEN

STILL HAVE NIGHTMARES AND SWEATS THINKIN ABOUT IT.

THE GASHER

Social source share

as I knew it was rare

"It takes a lot of leaves to cover the trees.I takes a lot of water to fill the sea"Worst feckin lyric ever to my ears.What the FECK is that all about..

Close to the Bad lines buy Cajun Hart.."And once I stopped to watch a tree grow" or the Dynamics.."You make my liver quiver"

That was my worst buy of ALLTIME

NEVER TO BE FORGOTTEN

STILL HAVE NIGHTMARES AND SWEATS THINKIN ABOUT IT.

THE GASHER

link

Sweats! as about a sweaty as a walrus Or was that against the wall Russ! Hah Ha! :sleep3:

Social source share

Guest in town Mikey

as I knew it was rare

THE GASHER

link

I quite like that one :sleep3:

Social source share

Sound clip please.

link

Would do mate but I'm totally inept at putting vinyl onto anything but a cassette tape :)

Will be playing it out and about in the near future (R&B room at Crewe Allnighter on March 12th, Bidds in April, Flipside and Hideaway in May to name a few)

:sleep3:

It's a killer tune, played it to a few people well wise to R&B and no-ones sussed it yet.

Regards

Mace.

Social source share

Would do mate but I'm totally inept at putting vinyl onto anything but a cassette tape  :)

Will be playing it out and about in the near future (R&B room at Crewe Allnighter on March 12th, Bidds in April, Flipside and Hideaway in May to name a few)

It's a killer tune, played it to a few people well wise to R&B and no-ones sussed it yet.

Sounds interesting. I'm always into hearing new tunes, but I'm in Sweden and can't easily get to those places. So I'll probably never hear it.

Edited by Sebastian
Social source share

Sounds interesting. I'm always into hearing new tunes, but I'm in Sweden and can't easily get to those places. So I'll probably never hear it.

link

Fair comment - PM me your postal address Sebastian and I'll put a tape together including this track.....do you know R&B stuff like Little Joe Hinton 'Let's start a romance' ?

Regards,

Mace.

Social source share

Please forgive me if i have gotten the wrong end of the stick here, but a few months ago down the 100 club we played a game of pin the tail on the Donkey (but the flip side "pin the tail on the DJ" is much more soulful) anyway to play this we were by all accounts blind, so if I mistakenly missed the donkey and the DJ and my hand landed in a sales box, then I pull out the first record to hand, would that be the same thing as buying blind?

Johnny one Trout

post-1171-1108998828_thumb.jpg

Social source share

Please forgive me if i have gotten the wrong end of the stick here, but a few months ago down the 100 club we played a game of pin the tail on the Donkey (but the flip side "pin the tail on the DJ" is much more soulful) anyway to play this we were by all accounts blind, so if I mistakenly missed the donkey and the DJ and my hand landed in a sales box, then I pull out the first record to hand, would that be the same thing as buying blind?

Johnny one Trout

link

Turns out that "Little Donkey" isnt a rare 60's dancer after all :sleep3:

Social source share

you got an office Andrew?........."where did it all go wrong"..... :)   :sleep3:   :D

link

Oh an office, what floor is it on? and how many windows along the hall is it? don't suppose it's on the right hand side? curtains?

Johnny

ps sorry mike will go back down there to play with the naughty children again now

pps I bought Dean Barlow a few weeks ago :D:D

Social source share

Fair comment - PM me your postal address Sebastian and I'll put a tape together including this track.....do you know R&B stuff like Little Joe Hinton 'Let's start a romance' ?

Regards,

Mace.

link

YOU COULD PUT IT ON TAPE FOR ME TOO DEAREST...THEN I COULD DISECT THE SHITE OUT OF IT UNTIL IF FIND OUT WHO IT DAMN WELL IS !!!!!

Social source share

you got an office Andrew?........."where did it all go wrong"..... :D   :)   :D

link

Got an office at work and one at home...though the one at home is a junkyard at the moment...actually the one at work is as well.

So no, I don't have an office, but I've got two junkyards! :D

So how are you Jim?

Have you heard Duncan Pollitt is returning to the potteries.

You can take a man out of Stoke, but you can't take the oatcake out of a clayhead!

Nice tape you sent me by the way Mr Bates (or should that be master :sleep3: ), P.M. me your address again Jim and I'll copy one of these tapes for you.

Regards,

Mace.

Social source share

YOU COULD PUT IT ON TAPE FOR ME TOO DEAREST...THEN I COULD DISECT THE SHITE OUT OF IT UNTIL IF FIND OUT WHO IT DAMN WELL IS !!!!!

ranting_1.gif

link

...but the last time we played this game you uncovered it in 48 hours Linda. ranting_1.gif

Might tape you the opening bars....then leave you to suss it... whistling.gif

Plus you've got too many contacts in Belgium who have probably known it since Adam was a nipper! :D

I might play it to you in the car on the way to the Hideaway on Saturday to keep you happy! :thumbsup:

Mace

Social source share

Guest andys165

Mace - I'm rapidly realising that it's really the r'n'b side of 60s soul that really connects with me.

I need some pointers - can you give me say half a dozen artists and/or albums to start me off. I do like a guitar lick and a dance beat.

Andy

Social source share

I'm waiting for a record to arrive from USA (yet another Ebay purchase), which I have purchased blind.  The record is: Linda Carr - Baby Are You Puttin' Me On (DCP Promo), bought blindly cause of the names Randazzo & Hart on the label.  I checked Manship's site he's got a copy for £20, mines costing £7 including postage.  So I figured even if it's not to my taste it's only cost me £7 not £20 (+postage)!

The thing is there are thousands of original singles out there, but I'm never going to hear them all, whether that's on the internet or out at do's.  As a result we all buy blindly on occasions, I was just sat here wondering, what you bought blind that either turned out to be great or utter garbage?

I just thought it might make an interesting topic.  ranting_1.gif

link

Symphonics on Brunswick, absolutely brilliant track £40 from somebody......

Inspirations "Genie" on Sultan, absolutley crap.............

Social source share

Mace - I'm rapidly realising that it's really the r'n'b side of 60s soul that really connects with me.

I need some pointers - can you give me say half a dozen artists and/or albums to start me off. I do like a guitar lick and a dance beat.

Andy

link

Hi Andy - I'm not a collector of albums or CDs, but the New Breed R&B CDs have some great tracks.

Roger Banks used to sell compilation tapes with some top R&B stuff on, and if you can get a contact for Killer he can put you onto loadsa CDs with R&B and Popcorn tracks on them...tell him the sort off sound you're after though cus some of the popcorn can be heavy going if you're not used to it.

As for artists, Ted Taylor / Little Willie John / Pearl Woods / Cookie Jackson / Willie Mae Thornton / Bobby Bland / Billy Bland et al have recorded loadsa of good stuff as a starting point (though plenty of shite as well!) whistling.gif

You usually find that the better tracks being collected or spun on the R&B circuit are the best things that that individual artist has recorded, so it would be pointless listing hundreds of artists that have generally released one gem and a hundred pieces of tripe!

Other than that check out the Hideaway (if it gets too heavy for you the New Century Manchester Allniter is on the same night and only a mile away), Flipside nights at Sheridans and the new R&B room opening at the Crewe Allniter in March.

You'll find us at most of these on a regular basis, so please introduce yourself...we're a friendly (though ugly) bunch, but watch out for Hoss, loud mouth and somewhat scary to those who don't know him, but a big softy at heart!!! ranting_1.gif

Most of all, give it a go and enjoy it all mate - it's there for the listening!!!

I've always collected rare Northern stuff, but have always had a soft spot for R&B.

Anyway, enough of this, PLEASE can we get back to the original thread, it was a great post and deserves more replies... ranting_1.gif

Regards,

Mace.

Social source share

Don't buy blind anymore, usually get to hear something I'm interested in before buying these days, haven't the money to waste on shite anyway whistling.gifshades.gif

Back when I built up my first collection bought loads blind, too many to mention but usually from dealers who knew what my tastes was. Rarely bought of lists back then either as most nighters were full of record dealers and sales boxes.

Social source share

...but the last time we played this game you uncovered it in 48 hours Linda.  whistling.gif

Might tape you the opening bars....then leave you to suss it... shades.gif

Plus you've got too many contacts in Belgium who have probably known it since Adam was a nipper!  :D

I might play it to you in the car on the way to the Hideaway on Saturday to keep you happy!  shhh.gif

Mace

link

Wot a spoilsport Mr Mason...

I'll have you playing it over and over again in the car..

In fact I'll have you playing it so often..

you'll be absolutely sick of it..and be begging me to buy it off you :D:thumbsup::D

Social source share

Wot a spoilsport Mr Mason...

I'll have you playing it over and over again in the car..

In fact I'll have you playing it so often..

you'll be absolutely sick of it..and be begging me to buy it off you  shhh.gif   whistling.gif   :D

link

I'm sick of it already...then again, I can listen to it as much as I want.

Buy it off me now if you want - £500

Bargain..... shades.gif

:D:D:thumbsup::D

Mace

Social source share

I'm sick of it already...then again, I can listen to it as much as I want.

Buy it off me now if you want - £500

Bargain..... :D

:P   :D   :lol:   :D

Mace

link

Whats my credit like? 500 weeks@£1.00 PER WEEK :D

Social source share

Regards,

Mace.

link

That's really nice of you. I'll PM you my address. Yes, I'm a big fan of gritty, dirgey r&b and I know the Little Joe Hinton track very well... a bit of an understatement perhaps... as it's been one of my top 10 wants for a couple of years now! :P Anyone got a spare? :D Have you heard "I'm A Loser" by Blue Bull on UNI (amazingly!)? Damn nice uptempo r&b shuffler. :lol:

Edited by Sebastian
Social source share

That's really nice of you. I'll PM you my address. Yes, I'm  a big fan of gritty, dirgey r&b and I know the Little Joe Hinton track very well... a bit of an understatement perhaps... as it's been one of my top 10 wants for a couple of years now!  :D Anyone got a spare?  :P   Have you heard "I'm A Loser" by Blue Bull on UNI (amazingly!)? Damn nice uptempo r&b shuffler.  :D

link

Don't know the Blue Bull track...but I've just found 2 mint DJ copies at $6 each on a website so I've bought them on your recommendation! :lol:

Get ready for a rant from Miss Popcorn now.... :D

Will have your tape done by weekend Sebastian (sooner if possible!)

Regards,

Mace.

Social source share

Whats my credit like? 500 weeks@£1.00 PER WEEK :D

link

Your credits excellent...

...but your repayment schemes suck! :P

Might be able to find another copy yet, so £1 a week works out to 2 pints every time we go the Hideaway for the next 10 years.

Mmmm...free beer.......might be an option that! :D:lol:

Mace

Social source share

Mace

Thanks for the pointers - will investigate. I love digging around and uncovering new gems so thanks for the trail.

Andy

link

No probs Andy.

PM me your postal address and I'll send you a copy of the tape I'm doing for Sebastian.

Keeps me busy........ :D

Regards,

Mace.

Social source share

Don't know the Blue Bull track...but I've just found 2 mint DJ copies at $6 each on a website so I've bought them on your recommendation! :D

Get ready for a rant from Miss Popcorn now.... :D

Regards,

Mace.

link

Hope you like it when it arrives. :P I think it's a fantastic piece of music. If you don't like it, let me know and I'll take them off your hands as I've got friends who needs copies of that Blue Bull 45. Really looking forward to your tape! :lol:

Social source share

Don't know the Blue Bull track...but I've just found 2 mint DJ copies at $6 each on a website so I've bought them on your recommendation! :D

Get ready for a rant from Miss Popcorn now.... :lol:

Regards,

Mace.

link

Mace...you could fall in that brown stuff....an come up smelling of them nice flowers :P

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!