Soulful House What Do You Think

Guest Baz

just wondered what every ones thoughts were on soulful house for me personally

some of them vocals are REALLY soulful. not likeing some of it whith the heavy beats in them just any thing with a good vocal and a softer beat

Social source share

• Replies 68
  • Views 4.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Some of it is just awesome, but finding it is the main problem I've encountered.

Been up to Vinyl Junkies in Soho a couple of times, but its a case of play through about 30 twelve inchers befote find one soulful enough.

Anyone got any suggestions - either where else to go or commercially available cd comps?

Social source share

Some of it is just awesome, but finding it is the main problem I've encountered.

Been up to Vinyl Junkies in Soho a couple of times, but its a case of play through about 30 twelve inchers befote find one soulful enough.

Anyone got any suggestions - either where else to go or commercially available cd comps?

link

Mail me your addy fella and I'll send you down sales CD's of the US vocal stuff...

Can also put you on the weekly (e)mail outs with soundclips if you want...

robgrant@blueyonder.co.uk

Cheers,

Rob.

Social source share

Mail me your addy fella and I'll send you down sales CD's of the US vocal stuff...

Can also put you on the weekly (e)mail outs with soundclips if you want...

robgrant@blueyonder.co.uk

Cheers,

Rob.

link

emailed you to rob :sleep3:

Social source share

A few years ago, there was some great stuff coming out.I would say the ratio of quality soulful stuff has always been quite low but it's deteriorated badly over the last two years. I don't really buy any at all any more but do think stuff like Blaze, Arnold Jarvis, Stephanie Cooke and Michelle Weeks fit the bill alright.

Social source share

some of them vocals are REALLY soulful. not likeing some of it whith the heavy beats in them just any thing with a good vocal and a softer beat

link

Crap

JoT

Social source share

link

Get the Blaze Underground artists for life-Keep hope alive CD.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/search...3790350-7542858

It's a jap release.Worth every penny though.

Cheers

Pete

Social source share

Guest Brian Ellis

Crap

JoT

link

Well - seems like a lot of thought and consideration went into that reply!

Doesn't any soulful music produced after 31 December 1969 do anything for you Janine?

Brian

Social source share

Sorry but for this week (until Sunday) I am actually being John Nightingale, therefore I can say what I want and he has to take full responsibility for my actions (great eh!)

JoT

ps, Janine hates soulful garage too, she said something about midnight on the 31st December :sleep3:

Social source share

Guest Johnny One Trout

Crap

JoT

link

Minx :sleep3:

There are some superb examples of soulful house music around personally i have a soft spot for some of the early 90's stuff (I suppose because that's when i really started to listen to it :D ) although nowadays i tend to prefer stuff with a soulful vocal and a tinsey winsey bit of Jazzzzz in there :)

Karen Deputy Dic of the SSCDT

Having said that the Pet Shop Boys did some sterling work :D:D

Social source share

Guest in town Mikey

oops meant house, but as a garage is on the side I guess its the same thing but without curtains?

JoT

link

Really. Do the curtains match your carpet??? :)

I get as far as Soulful Shack, and stop.

I have a mental block on all things house related or garage, or what ever. Probably my loss, but there are so many 60s and 70s tunes, I dont know or havent heard, I dont really want to waste my precious free time, listening to computer generated music. However good the singers voice may be. :sleep3:

Social source share

Really. Do the curtains match your carpet???  :D

I get as far as Soulful Shack, and stop.

I have a mental block on all things house related or garage, or what ever. Probably my loss, but there are so many 60s and 70s tunes, I dont know or havent heard, I dont really want to waste my precious free time, listening to computer generated music. However good the singers voice may be.  :)

link

some of it is actually done with instuments like horn riff's and all that though most is computer generated :sleep3:

Social source share

link

Not been buying much of this recently, but it IS soulful. Try Uptown Records in London too: www.uptownrecords.com

They have sound clips on their website and do mail order.

As someone else has said, Arnold Jarvis is great, Kenny Bobien, Kathy Brown and MAW (Masters At Work) feat India - especially "Backfired" from a few years back - blinding soul vocal :sleep3: Comps wise, the Hed Kandi stuff and definitely the Defected releases and comps (as a starting point the Defected comp "Soul Heaven" compiled by MAW is a good place to start - sure, some tracks have deeper beats which not everyone will like, but there's a lot of very soulful tunes on that comp). Bobbi & Steve's self titled comp on Trust The DJ also has some great soul tunes on. But don't tell the 60s only dinosaurs!! :):D

Rich

Social source share

Richard, my daughter suggest's you hang curtains at the windows if you intend on taking her back to your pad again (also Jamie ran out of bog roll)

Johnny One Trout

Social source share

I think my all time fave Dean Barlow got it right with two flights up by the third window, he had some really nice curtains up last time I went around, but I don't think it was very soulful

Social source share

I think my all time fave Dean Barlow got it right with two flights up by the third window, he had some really nice curtains up last time I went around, but I don't think it was very soulful

link

no i think he found them in someone else's bin

Social source share

link

They weren't curtains they were blinds, looked a bit like hospital ones to me.

Lindypoos

Social source share

Richard, my daughter suggest's you hang curtains at the windows if you intend on taking her back to your pad again (also Jamie ran out of bog roll)

Johnny One Trout

link

I had to pull the curtains down some months ago after Jamie used them to wipe his ar$e on. Thought it wouldn't happen again if I put blinds up. Three weeks later he was in A&E... :sleep3:

Hope your journey back yesterday wasn't too horrendous..

Rich

Social source share

I presume that most people on these forums have a northern soul background. Let's consider northern as opposed to soulful house.

NORTHERN SOUL- Uptempo soul recorded generally on small, obscure labels in the mid sixties.

SOULFUL HOUSE- Uptempo soul recorded generally on small,obscure labels in the past ten years.

SPOT the difference? ABOUT 35 YEARS!!!!!!

It is generally considered that the golden years of northern soul were 1972 - 1975. Therefore the records we danced to were not much more than 7 to 10 years old. Is Northern Soul the new rock & roll?

All you collectors out there will be peddling soulful house in the year 2035 - the new Northern Soul!!!!

Social source share

Guest in town Mikey

3 blokes discussing what drives their women wild in the bedroom.

1st guy, “I cover her pussy in chocolate and lick it off. That drives her crazy.”

2nd lad, “I blindfold my missus and spank her bum. She can’t get enough of it.”

3rd geezer, “I clean my cock on the curtains, She goes absolutely wild”

Social source share

Cheers Pete and others for passing on tips

as topic gone a bit off errr.....  track will split it later :sleep3:

ta

mike

link

I disagree, house, garage, dog kennel or bird bath, they all have equal rights to be soulful, but I think I would draw the line at a pond as you cant hang curtains in one

Johnny one Trout

Social source share

Right you lot, back to the bottom of the web site please and leave these people to discuss their property parts in peace

Janine

ps, my blinkers are made by Prada

Social source share

I was brought up on 70's stuff, and the stuff played in the late 80's and early 90's (At Dance venues) was just a natural progression the way I see it.

Stuff like Joe Smooth and Ten City were massive back then. You've got to be a complete arse-head :D to say that they aren't Soulful.

In the early/mid 90's bands like Incognito and Brand New Heavies both played instruments and stuff like 'Still A Friend Of Mine' (Incognito) and 'Back To Love' (BNH) blew me away. I saw BNH live 3 times, and they are the best live act I've ever seen. A full 20 minute intro with each band member coming onto the stage a playing a solo on their instrument - fantastic. Not 'Soulful House' just very soulful :)

Coming up to date, DJ's like Joey Negro & Miguel 'Migs' play fantastic 'Soulful' sets. They also remix a lot of stuff and put some fantastic CD comps together. Rich Buckley also mentioned MAW; heroes of mine from the early 90's. Kenny 'Dope' Gonzalez, Little Louie Vega, Farley Jackmaster Funk & Co. turned out some brilliant stuff.

Although I will admit 'Backfired' is brill, I personally prefer the MAW mix of 'To Be In Love' ft. India. Pure silk it is. She has got one of the best voices EVER! I may try and find a soundfile and post it up here.

I then challenge any of you 60's dinosaurs :sleep3: to take the sound challenge and tell me her voice isn't amazing :D

Jamie Abbott

Edited by Jamie
Social source share

Guest Richard Bergman

link

Always soulful in my house ranting_1.gif

Don't know enough about it to make any kind of statement

Social source share

link

Pretty much all I buy these days shades.gif

There are some great records out there, small labels, unknown artists, uptempo

danceable Soul.... What does that sound like

There will never be anything to touch the Halcyon tunes of 60/70s Newies the Northern Scene turned up early 70s - early 80s but this is the closest to it I've found.

f I go to a Northern event I hear very few songs I don't know and even less I'd buy.

When I go to a Soulful/Gospel House/Garage night I have a list as long as my arm shhh.gif

If anyone would like a Cd of some of the last few years best tunes, get back to me off list.

Strict confidentially assured whistling.gif

I'll get me coat now

Cheers

Steve

Edited by SteveCee
Social source share

Guest GrooveJunkies

whistling.gif nice track shades.gif

Here's a clip of that MAW track.

Go on, take the test and tell me her voice isn't amazing.

Pete Smith. 'Ballcocks' is the answer to your reply shhh.gif

link

Social source share

Guest GrooveJunkies

shades.gif i think you my be right whistling.gif

I presume that most people on these forums have a northern soul background. Let's consider northern as opposed to soulful house.

NORTHERN SOUL- Uptempo soul recorded generally on small, obscure labels in the mid sixties.

SOULFUL HOUSE- Uptempo soul recorded generally on small,obscure labels in the past ten years.

SPOT the difference? ABOUT 35 YEARS!!!!!!

It is generally considered that the golden years of northern soul were 1972 - 1975. Therefore the records we danced to were not much more than 7 to 10 years old. Is Northern Soul the new rock & roll?

All you collectors out there will be peddling soulful house in the year 2035 - the new Northern Soul!!!!

link

Social source share

Here's a clip of that MAW track.

Go on, take the test and tell me her voice isn't amazing.

Pete Smith. 'Ballcocks' is the answer to your reply whistling.gif

link

Whilst its not the worst track I've heard, I'm afraid this kind of stuff leaves me cold.

Can't see me listening to it any time in the future either.

If I did fancy a night of such stuff, I could listen to it in any major city, at any half decent club, full of half decent females in indecent amounts of clothing....

Ah I get it now.......

WOOF WOOF!

Social source share

Whilst its not the worst track I've heard, I'm afraid this kind of stuff leaves me cold.

If I did fancy a night of such stuff, I could listen to it in any major city, at any half decent club, full of half decent females in indecent amounts of clothing....

Ah I get it now.......

WOOF WOOF!

link

stuff prestatyn Pikey. Lets do some soulful house you have just made it sound all the more appealing mate.

Seriously though i dont mind a bit of soulful house when I am out with a few friends in Sheffield. Its not good enough to do a 100 mile round trip though.

Shane

Social source share

link

Some sublime Soulful Garage out there! Disco for 90's & 00's :D In addition to suggestions already made, Naked Music out of San Francisco put out consistent quality Soulful House / Garage...

It'll be like Salsoul was for the 70's & 80's in years to come!

Mind you after an hour or so I'm ready for a change in style of music...

Social source share

Ah I get it now.......

WOOF WOOF!

link

I sort of knew most people wouldn't like the track, the question was did she have an amazing voice?

I also don't think I'd get an unbiased opinion of that too. Purely as it's not an out-and-out Northern track.

I don't agree that you could go to any club to hear that kind of music. It reminds of an analogy when my Dad used to get pissed off at Weddings. DJ "Right, I'm going to play some Northern Soul now" and either R Dean Taylor or Mistura would come on. Yeah, that sounds snobby, but you get what I mean :D

The stuff played in most clubs in Sheffield is the stuff played in the charts, cheesy commercial crap. 'Soulful House' or whatever you want to call it, is to an extent 'underground' in the way that Northern was. You've got to know where to go and which DJ's to look out for to hear the 'Real Deal' - Sound familiar??

Are you telling me stuff that was played at Wigan et al weren't dropped as soon they became commercially available?? Damn right they were. Just as in the Dance scene there was, and still is, that kind of 'snobbery'

But you are right about the ladies though :lol:

Social source share

I don't agree that you could go to any club to hear that kind of music. It reminds of an analogy when my Dad used to get pissed off at Weddings. DJ "Right, I'm going to play some Northern Soul now" and either R Dean Taylor or Mistura would come on. Yeah, that sounds snobby, but you get what I mean :D

The stuff played in most clubs in Sheffield is the stuff played in the charts, cheesy commercial crap. 'Soulful House' or whatever you want to call it, is to an extent 'underground' in the way that Northern was. You've got to know where to go and which DJ's to look out for to hear the 'Real Deal'

Well said that man - comparing the crap that's played in yer average town club of a weekend with proper soulful/jazzy garage is like comparing Heineken to a decent pint of proper beer. I really thought that the garage route was the way the modern rooms should have gone in the early nineties, but it never worked...plus the fact that the "urban"/black crowd I was playing to at the time wouldn't dance to it because it was too fast, the pop crowd recoiled because it had vocals, so I ended up buying it just for myself!

Check Joey Negro's remix on Roy Ayer's "Sugar" - now THAT is class!

Jerry.

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!